That's a bit of flawed logic. Costco has it because they're a third-party retailer for the carriers. If the carriers don't have it, Costco won't have it. As of Monday, when I spoke to Alex Thurber, there were no carriers signed on to sell it. Could that change? Yes. But right now, right this very second, it's not planned.
    I really love your big transparency and credibility..
    It is extremely rare to experience a person like you and being not biased towards the place he works for... Kudos to you!
    Bla1ze likes this.
    10-26-16 12:53 AM
    All as I can say is good luck at finding one, call before you go to store to see if they have a working one ,because all I see is dummies at store including salesman. Especially when you talk about BlackBerrys. I always inform them and answer their questions. That's crazy I don't know everything about BlackBerry I'm still learning new stuff everyday.
    10-26-16 01:09 AM
    I live in Toronto and they had the DTEK50 on display at Square One & Erin Mills Town Centre, just have to give it time

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 02:07 AM
    That's a bit of flawed logic. Costco has it because they're a third-party retailer for the carriers. If the carriers don't have it, Costco won't have it. As of Monday, when I spoke to Alex Thurber, there were no carriers signed on to sell it. Could that change? Yes. But right now, right this very second, it's not planned.
    This lack of Carrier sales contract is very unfortunate. I'd think that the majority of people buy their phones subsidized from their carrier. This is a huge impediment for their exposure to the consumer.
    10-26-16 09:23 AM
    This lack of Carrier sales contract is very unfortunate. I'd think that the majority of people buy their phones subsidized from their carrier. This is a huge impediment for their exposure to the consumer.

I agree but at the same time, the consumer market is not BlackBerry's interest. It's just a happy coincidence if a consumer buys one and BlackBerry will still take your money all the same. Consumers are not the target though.
    10-26-16 09:34 AM
    I agree but at the same time, the consumer market is not BlackBerry's interest. It's just a happy coincidence if a consumer buys one and BlackBerry will still take your money all the same. Consumers are not the target though.
    I work at a Company close to Waterloo that deploys Blackberries and have since they were blue in colour and had a wheel on the side of them. I'd imagine around 600 units. I don't work in the IS department but we use Rogers service and I had thought they purchase the phones through them. I could of course be wrong.
    10-26-16 09:48 AM
    Yes Blaize you are correct but my point was that since the 50 is being showcased there and the underlying assumption is that a similar arrangement for the 60 with carriers will likely happen. That being the case you can expect to see the 60 at some point at Costco. You may be right that carriers are not stocking/offering the device at the moment but long-term that's highly unlikely as pretty much every blackberry produced has been offered by a major carrier either in-store or on-line. So we'll leave it at that and wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.
    10-26-16 10:32 AM
    Yes Blaize you are correct but my point was that since the 50 is being showcased there and the underlying assumption is that a similar arrangement for the 60 with carriers will likely happen. That being the case you can expect to see the 60 at some point at Costco. You may be right that carriers are not stocking/offering the device at the moment but long-term that's highly unlikely as pretty much every blackberry produced has been offered by a major carrier either in-store or on-line. So we'll leave it at that and wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.
    Assumption.....

I think you have to consider that the fact BlackBerry said they are getting out of the "hardware" selling business by the end of this fiscal year. How do they accomplish that... with two new products on the market?

Has BlackBerry mentioned any long term plans for selling the DTEK phones once they get out of the "business"? You can bet that any carriers that BlackBerry has in the past worked with... asked that question before agreeing to sell the DTEK60.

Too be honest, the $499 price really is too good to be true.... I don't think this is a normal launch of a long term product.
    10-26-16 11:38 AM
    Don't place bets on that.
    I'm definitely going with the under....i don't really expect either to pick up the device...but if a carrier picks it up....it would more than likely be one of those two
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-26-16 11:44 AM
    Costco has the DTEK50 so no reason why they won't be showcasing the 60.
    Costco has dumped BlackBerry in the past , so I'm not expecting anything from them. They went quite a long time with no BlackBerry product on display
    10-26-16 11:45 AM
    I'm definitely going with the under....i don't really expect either to pick up the device...but if a carrier picks it up....it would more than likely be one of those two
    Yep, agreed.
    10-26-16 11:52 AM
    I buy cars for how they drive, not just for commuting from A to B.
    Where do you live? That's cool that you can buy a car, drive it for a while (week, month, year?), and then return it if you don't like it. I usually can only get a short test drive and have to make a decision mostly based on reviews.
    10-26-16 12:43 PM
    Where do you live? That's cool that you can buy a car, drive it for a while (week, month, year?), and then return it if you don't like it. I usually can only get a short test drive and have to make a decision mostly based on reviews.
    24 Hour Test Drive | Buick 24 Hours Of Happiness
    10-26-16 06:53 PM
    Does everyone who uses this program drive off the lot in a brand new Buick? Or are they lending you a trial loaner? I suppose if BlackBerry could lend out loaners and not burn through new phones, it might be workable. The idea of people buying and returning phones seems pretty wasteful in terms of resources on BlackBerry's part, especially when those customers profess wanting to help the company.
    10-26-16 07:12 PM
    For many retailers you are responsible for return shipping I think, this is the case with shopbb!

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    10-26-16 07:26 PM
    I sure hope BlackBerry's salespersons are pitching the new DTEK phones directly to their enterprise and government customers. As for the consumer market, perhaps BlackBerry should set up slick-looking kiosks at huge traffic areas in the middle of shopping malls so consumers can take a look. I think that's what Nokia used to do pre-iPhone Era at nearby Woodfield Mall.
    10-26-16 07:36 PM
    The problem with consumer sales for BlackBerry is that most people are locked into carrier contracts and like to think are getting a discounted price on new devices. And so far no carriers have signed up with BlackBerry for the DTEK60.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-26-16 07:49 PM
42 12