So my phone got hit by a wave at the lake today. It was under a few inches of water for about 10 seconds. I took it out, wiped it off, and shook any water out. I turned it off for a while and it was sitting in the sun for a while. I turned it on and it was fine. About 6 hours later though, the touchscreen stopped responding. Everything else works. It's in a bag of rice right now. Do you think it's worth sending in for warranty repair or taking it to a local shop? It's 3 months old. Any chance Blackberry would know it was in the water?
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-17 11:26 PM
    Not sure why you turned it on. 3 days in rice is in order, but it's probably too late.

And yes, BlackBerry would know.
    06-10-17 11:35 PM
    This sounds more like an accidental insurance coverage (which I hope you got), more than a warranty issue. Take it down to the local shop and see what they say.
    06-10-17 11:37 PM
    There are some very small white "dots" inside of cell phones that change colour when they get wet. Even if you somehow dried the phone out extremely well and tried to get claim the phone was defective, they will know. You got it wet. Don't try to be fraudulent and claim the phone was defective. Buy a new one and buy insurance. That's what it's for.
    06-11-17 12:01 AM
    Unfortunately, I don't have insurance and can't afford a new phone. It's really too bad it wasn't waterproof like most flagship phones now. I might send it in to Blackberry and see how much it is to fix.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-17 02:19 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't have insurance and can't afford a new phone. It's really too bad it wasn't waterproof like most flagship phones now. I might send it in to Blackberry and see how much it is to fix.

Posted via CB10
    I agree! I would pay a premium just to have a waterproof phone. and I don't mean to go scuba dividing with, but one that can handle incidental water (rain, splashes from waves, drunks pushing you into a pool, etc).
    Good luck on the repair!
    06-11-17 04:56 PM
    let it dry for like a week and it will probably be fine
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    06-11-17 05:09 PM
    let it dry for like a week and it will probably be fine
    Seconded.
    06-16-17 12:27 PM
    06-17-17 05:14 AM
    Warranty ASAP.
    From what I've heard, warranty doesn't cover water damage. Hope his phone was insured.
    06-17-17 05:35 AM
    Yeah, water damage isn't covered by warranty. They can tell by the little white tabs that turn red when water hits them.

Hope the rice treatment works. It has saved more than one phone for me.
    06-17-17 07:08 AM
    From what I've heard, warranty doesn't cover water damage. Hope his phone was insured.
    I misspoke. I meant insurance warranty, not manufacturer. If no insurance, I don't believe it can be "repaired". Probably won't last long, even if it seems to work now, at least that's been my own experience.
    06-17-17 08:04 AM
    I am very sorry that your phone got wet and that you turned it on before it was completely dried out.

Three things to remember for anyone with a non waterproof phone:

1) any time you're around standing water, consider putting (and keeping) your phone is a water resistant bag, such as a zip top freezer bag.

2) if you are the kind of person who might let your phone get wet, try to find insurance that will cover the damage.

3) if your phone gets wet, do NOT turn it on or plug it in. Instead, remove the battery (if it's removable) , drain as much water as you can by turning and gently shaking the phone, and submerge in dry rice for a few days before trying to turn.it on or charge it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-17-17 08:06 AM
    this is one reason removable batteries and backplates are great. had my z10 soaked multiple times but just ripped the battery out until it wasn't entirely dried out and good as new. no accidental voltage passing through wet circuitry
    06-17-17 11:31 PM
    this is one reason removable batteries and backplates are great. had my z10 soaked multiple times but just ripped the battery out until it wasn't entirely dried out and good as new. no accidental voltage passing through wet circuitry
    I'm a sailor, and I always take out my Z10 battery before boarding my boat. Especially critical around salt water.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-18-17 09:18 AM