This is really just an open question, but why do you think blackberry left out gorilla glass?
    They didn't.

TCL/Alcatel did.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. One drop in the right spot is all it takes no matter what glass it's using.

PS: It's Dragontrail
    11-28-16 01:50 PM
    Not if it isn't as "pretty" with it on... Then you're basically using a mediocre display, and when it gets scratched, you "fix" it back to mediocre again...
    I think I put a protector on my Relay briefly but had to pull it off because of bubbles. My Classic is the first I've had come with even a minimal protective layer on it from the factory. It's still on but needing replacement. I might be replacing the phone within a few months so I'm not very motivated to do it. Doesn't really affect the view much, considering what I use the phone for. Don't need a flawless display for text/email, and it'd be nice not to have the display scratched on the off chance I decide to sell the phone.
    11-28-16 08:32 PM
    I think it's absolutely hilarious how people drop their mobile devices. You moan and groan about how expensive the devices are and then you drop it... some proudly admit to dropping their mobile devices , not once... not twice.... but multiple times.

It doesn't matter what kind of glass the phone has. Anyone, that isn't responsible enough to take care of their products should get a toy phone from the Toys R Us Bargain Bin. I can only imagine the shape your vehicles are in.

Or you get a really cool looking device and cover it in body armor..
    I love the stories about how someone "accidently" dropped their device out of their back pocket going 60 mph on a motorcycle.
    You put a 4,, 5, 6 hundred dollar mobile device in your back pocket??????????

Buy a cheap device and use the rest of the money for therapy !!http://www.picturesanimations.com/3/3d_smileys/0354.gif
    Lol accidents happen. It's not that you're not being responsible.
    11-28-16 08:40 PM
    They didn't.

TCL/Alcatel did.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. One drop in the right spot is all it takes no matter what glass it's using.

PS: It's Dragontrail
    How do you think the DTEK60 will hold up for scratches without a screen protector?
    11-28-16 08:41 PM
    How do you think the DTEK60 will hold up for scratches without a screen protector?
    As well as, and as poor as, most smartphones.
    11-28-16 08:56 PM
    I think I put a protector on my Relay briefly but had to pull it off because of bubbles. My Classic is the first I've had come with even a minimal protective layer on it from the factory. It's still on but needing replacement. I might be replacing the phone within a few months so I'm not very motivated to do it. Doesn't really affect the view much, considering what I use the phone for. Don't need a flawless display for text/email, and it'd be nice not to have the display scratched on the off chance I decide to sell the phone.
    I like the Classic, but let's be real, it's not worth much to sell flawless display or not, haha. Just kidding. :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-28-16 09:05 PM
    What's the point of a flawless display you'll never get to use?

Resell value. I've often try to keep my devices in great condition so that if I invest in a $650 DTEK60, I can try to get half the money back on the priv.
    11-28-16 11:55 PM
    Resell value. I've often try to keep my devices in great condition so that if I invest in a $650 DTEK60, I can try to get half the money back on the priv.
    That's all good, you go from one device to another and never in your life get to actually use any of them to the fullest...

Nah, I'm kidding, I can understand that, but for me I'd rather just enjoy my phones completely, and I'm careful enough to where I don't scratch up my phones anyway...

11-29-16 06:48 AM
    If the protector gets scratched, it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the glass. So, while it can get messed up, you can restore it to a "pretty" state quite easily. That's kind of the point.
    That's all good, you go from one device to another and never in your life get to actually use any of them to the fullest...
    Yeah that's what I'm saying. You're paying for the phone, but not enjoying it the way it's meant to be enjoyed... just "protecting it" for the next person. Pretty lame if you ask me... but it's very common. Many people do that. They never take the plastic off until it time to sell it... yay - had the phone for 2 years and it looks "good" for an outdated phone... but the technology is long gone, and you didn't even get to fully enjoy it.

The same goes for cars and keeping the mileage low. Most technology is NOT an investment. As your phone or car's value decreases at a staggering rate, you are "protecting it"... such a shame.
    11-29-16 07:02 AM
    I've never used a screen protector but always use a case. The case is always a cheap TPU skin. My reason is simple enough: The screen protector gives me a worse user experience. The case provides a basic level of shock protection against a minor fall or drop, and that's enough. I typically carry my phone in a shirt or jacket pocket; seldom in a hip pocket. It's never in a pocket that has anything else in it. I'm done with buying "flagship" phones, and I don't buy the insurance.

I just try to take reasonably good care of the phone, hope for the best, and replace it in a few years. If it still has some life in it, I'll give it away to someone who can use it. A lot of churches now have accept used phone donations, which they find homes for.

I've been using smartphones since 2003 and I've only trashed one. That was the one I ran through the washer and dryer. It never worked again, but it was very clean!

Obligatory on-topic comment on Gorilla Glass: Whatever advantage GG has over other hardened glass is neutralized by making the back of the phone out of any kind of glass. This increases the fragility of the phone while offering no advantage to offset that.
    11-29-16 08:37 AM
    As well as anything else out there. Have had mine since before release, no screen protector and nothing wrong with it.
    11-29-16 09:16 AM
    I dropped my Passport once with Gorilla 3 glass and it shattered like a ballerina's ego.
    PAC757 likes this.
    11-29-16 09:41 AM
    I've never used a screen protector but always use a case. The case is always a cheap TPU skin. My reason is simple enough: The screen protector gives me a worse user experience. The case provides a basic level of shock protection against a minor fall or drop, and that's enough. I typically carry my phone in a shirt or jacket pocket; seldom in a hip pocket. It's never in a pocket that has anything else in it. I'm done with buying "flagship" phones, and I don't buy the insurance.
    Never saw the need to spend $25+ on a case either. The TPU cases from Amzer or Fosmon are at most $8, are weightless, and practically add zero bulk.
    11-29-16 11:29 AM
    I dropped my Passport once with Gorilla 3 glass and it shattered like a ballerina's ego.
    LOL, That's a good one
    11-29-16 11:53 AM
    Holster the device, no cases or protectors. Best option.
    11-29-16 12:49 PM
    really? my attachment got deleted? lame.

and yeah, i've always gone bareback... Passport screen was broken once... and i didn't even do it. A female grabbed a blanket and threw it up in the air to wrap it around herself... phone went in the air a good 5 feet, and landed/boucned a few times off the Candian shield (protruding rocks up in Georgian Bay).
    11-30-16 07:55 AM
41 12