Just curious to hear your thoughts on this. I know the priv used gorilla glass. I've dropped my PRIV multiple times from pretty dangerous heights and on pretty bad surfaces, and it's held up nicely. I've read that the dtek60 is slippery to hold, and it's glass back worries me for drops.

This is really just an open question, but why do you think blackberry left out gorilla glass? I think it was to cut costs, as I would imagine gorilla glass would be substantially more expensive to use on devices now that it's made a name for itself. Is gorilla glass even that good? Does it really matter that it's not on the DTEK60? Would love to hear your thoughts.
    11-27-16 10:56 AM
    So if it's not Gorilla Glass on the DTEK60, then what kind of glass is it exactly?

Posted via CB10
    11-27-16 11:22 AM
    First Blackberry did not make the Dtek60 so it wasn't their choice of glass.
    Second Dragontrail glass 2.5D from Asashi Japan is more likely use as it is what's on the Idol 4S.
    PantherBlitz and Bluenoser63 like this.
    11-27-16 11:45 AM
    There are many, many manufacturers of hardened glasses. Most of them are just as good, or maybe even better
    11-27-16 12:35 PM
    First Blackberry did not make the Dtek60 so it wasn't their choice of glass.
    Second Dragontrail glass 2.5D from Asashi Japan is more likely use as it is what's on the Idol 4S.
    Well I know that but I figured they had some sort of input on the hardware design.. I don't think they'd let alcatel just build whatever they want. If it was a terrible design then blackberry wouldn't put their logo on it.
    11-27-16 12:40 PM
    The dragon tail glass on the the Sony z series was notorious for cracking , especially the back glass . It is a cheaper product it is used to save on cost.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-27-16 02:13 PM
    Well I know that but I figured they had some sort of input on the hardware design.. I don't think they'd let alcatel just build whatever they want. If it was a terrible design then blackberry wouldn't put their logo on it.
    BlackBerry only used parts manufactured by TCL. The DTEK50 is pretty much the same as the Idol 4 reference design, whereas the DTEK60 is similar to the TCL950 reference with the memory and screen from the Idol 4s. That is the extent of the BlackBerry input.
    11-27-16 02:54 PM
    I read in a review that the back is a hard plastic making it not glass then?

Mine had survived a face down drop in the included case and a month with no screen protector, there are no visible scratches.

The glass on my Z10, Q5, PlayBook, were all good and scratch resistant and I don't think they were Gorilla. The worst I've had for scratches was Passport and it was Gorilla but my iPhone doesn't have too bad of scratching other than light ones.
    11-27-16 03:08 PM

Mine had survived a face down drop in the included case and a month with no screen protector, there are no visible scratches.

The glass on my Z10, Q5, PlayBook, were all good and scratch resistant and I don't think they were Gorilla. The worst I've had for scratches was Passport and it was Gorilla but my iPhone doesn't have too bad of scratching other than light ones.
    My Z10 had a ridiculous amount of scratches after two years!
    11-27-16 03:16 PM

Back is glass. The tech radar guy who said that is totally wrong. Its dragontail glass
    Pcmx likes this.
    11-27-16 03:22 PM
    I used mine for about a year and didn't even have a single, even micro scratch but would be baffled when I'd come across someone else's Z10 screen that would be riddled with them and I would think, how is that even possible, lol.

In my use, it's the toughest screen I've had but remembering seeing others I can agree that it may not be the best

Was that using dragon tail glass?
    11-27-16 03:57 PM
    Gorilla glass is overrated.

Posted via CB10
    PAC757 and ajwan like this.
    11-27-16 04:01 PM
    I dont really care as long as its something simlar to GG4. Honestly all the screens will break and can get scrathed under the correct conditions. Be careful with all device screens is your best solution. I always have a protector to keep scratches away and a case to keep from breakage
    11-27-16 04:12 PM
    I use all of my phones without any cases or screen protectors and don't have scratches on any of the screens even after years of use. Are you using your keys to select things on the touch screen or something? Lol. :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-27-16 06:13 PM
    I use all of my phones without any cases or screen protectors and don't have scratches on any of the screens even after years of use. Are you using your keys to select things on the touch screen or something? Lol. :-P

Nope! However the z10 was the only phone I used without a screen protector. My PRIV has had one on since I got it. I feel like the screen protector is limiting it's true quad HD beauty, and I've debated taking it off. However I know there will be a flawless display underneath that I do not want to ruin. Decisions decisions.
    11-28-16 01:03 AM

i believe the Z10/Z30/Q10 are all Gorilla glass enabled, not for the Q5 and the Z3.

as for the passport, well my passport also still has no scratches after 2 years. Gorilla glass or not, my opinion is, as long as it's a hardened glass with a proper tempering & strengthening, it will do.
    11-28-16 02:31 AM
    I think it's absolutely hilarious how people drop their mobile devices. You moan and groan about how expensive the devices are and then you drop it... some proudly admit to dropping their mobile devices , not once... not twice.... but multiple times.

It doesn't matter what kind of glass the phone has. Anyone, that isn't responsible enough to take care of their products should get a toy phone from the Toys R Us Bargain Bin. I can only imagine the shape your vehicles are in.

Or you get a really cool looking device and cover it in body armor..
    I love the stories about how someone "accidently" dropped their device out of their back pocket going 60 mph on a motorcycle.
    You put a 4,, 5, 6 hundred dollar mobile device in your back pocket??????????

Buy a cheap device and use the rest of the money for therapy !!
    11-28-16 05:39 AM
    Nope! However the z10 was the only phone I used without a screen protector. My PRIV has had one on since I got it. I feel like the screen protector is limiting it's true quad HD beauty, and I've debated taking it off. However I know there will be a flawless display underneath that I do not want to ruin. Decisions decisions.
    What's the point of a flawless display you'll never get to use?

11-28-16 06:53 AM
    (1) resistance to screen/back glass break depend upon material as well as design (bezel and overall weight distributio and impact shock absorption design allowed).
    (2) GG3 GG4 may have better shock absorbe capability (drop),but the other may have better scratch resistance or hardness...
    (3) curved edge (2.5D) provide illusion of curved display - look like everybody really like it, but it might be have some mechanical trade offs interm of shock distribution within the handset if not design properly. as for cost, overall including factor in repair (warrentee return) should be minimum. However, if just compare to the straight edge to the curved, stright edge might have cost benefit due to eliminate some of the shaping cost. (iphone still not curved edge i believe... not sure they have not come out good enough design for the shock absorbing or Jonny think curved not that simplistically beautiful... - i like large angle with high reflective index - diamond looking, but you might end up too much light loss on the reflection at interface... trade off beauty with function, function always win).
    (4) Asahi is a good company (as good as Corning on my book)... both glasses appear to be nice. how to use them to their full potential (angle of the curve at the edge vs space of the bezel and strength of bezel material) are depen upon the designer's skill and knowledge. Xiaomi's latest bezelless screen fracture is showcase of the above mentioned items.
    (5) there are other issues need to be caution - I am sure there are more knowledgable members will address them soon. IMHO
    11-28-16 07:28 AM
    What's the point of a flawless display you'll never get to use?

Lol agree. people are so silly. Leaving plastic protector on for months/years to keep it "pretty" where in reality it looks like ****. take it off and enjoy it the way it's supposed to be enjoyed. I have always gone bareback with all my phones. if it gets scratched up over the years, that's fine. at least I'm enjoying it while i have it.
    herbersh likes this.
    11-28-16 07:43 AM
    Leaving plastic protector on for months/years to keep it "pretty" where in reality it looks like ****.
    If the protector gets scratched, it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the glass. So, while it can get messed up, you can restore it to a "pretty" state quite easily. That's kind of the point.
    11-28-16 08:03 AM
    Lol agree. people are so silly. Leaving plastic protector on for months/years to keep it "pretty" where in reality it looks like ****. take it off and enjoy it the way it's supposed to be enjoyed. I have always gone bareback with all my phones. if it gets scratched up over the years, that's fine. at least I'm enjoying it while i have it.
    Yes. Bizarre to rave about how thin and cool the device is, and then keep it covered in plastic. Reminds me of being a kid and my mother would keep our nice furniture in plastic slip covers ... so you never see how nice the nice furniture looks. Lol
    herbersh likes this.
    11-28-16 08:37 AM
    Yes. Bizarre to rave about how thin and cool the device is, and then keep it covered in plastic. Reminds me of being a kid and my mother would keep our nice furniture in plastic slip covers ... so you never see how nice the nice furniture looks. Lol
    Yeah my Grandparents had this weird plastic stuff on their living room furniture for years... plus we were never allowed to go into that room. In the end the plastic prevented them from enjoying the furniture and it still got thrown out for being too dated (60's furniture - probable back in style somewhere).
    11-28-16 09:44 AM
    Just curious to hear your thoughts on this. I know the priv used gorilla glass. I've dropped my PRIV multiple times from pretty dangerous heights and on pretty bad surfaces, and it's held up nicely. I've read that the dtek60 is slippery to hold, and it's glass back worries me for drops.

This is really just an open question, but why do you think blackberry left out gorilla glass? I think it was to cut costs, as I would imagine gorilla glass would be substantially more expensive to use on devices now that it's made a name for itself. Is gorilla glass even that good? Does it really matter that it's not on the DTEK60? Would love to hear your thoughts.
    In my personal option, Blackberry leave out the type of glass if its not 'popular' to avoid negative reviews.
    So if it doesn't have a Gorilla Glass 3, 4 or 5 and Blackberry says its some sort of 'tempered glass' people may think its sub par quality and move away. So rather say nothing and let people 'presume' its Gorilla Glass (i might be wrong)
    11-28-16 11:07 AM
    If the protector gets scratched, it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the glass. So, while it can get messed up, you can restore it to a "pretty" state quite easily. That's kind of the point.
    Not if it isn't as "pretty" with it on... Then you're basically using a mediocre display, and when it gets scratched, you "fix" it back to mediocre again...

I never use screen protectors or cases. 0 scratches on my screen. I'm just not clumsy. Not saying you are, but I also don't toss my phone into my pocket willy nilly not knowing which way is up or down when I need to use it or if there are keys or other stuff in there. I use a holster, so that helps too.

11-28-16 01:22 PM
41 12