11-13-17 08:43 PM
269 1234 ...
tools
    It's specific to this device, and yes, the DEVICE has no problem with it -- with my T-Mobile SIM in the device it comes up and works just fine.
    10-30-16 10:14 PM
    Thanks for calling. The more calls they receive the more likely they will make it a priority to come out with the fix.
    10-31-16 10:12 AM
    Do I need to call Blackberry too or just ATT? I've opened a ticket with ATT for the issue. No word back from them though.
    10-31-16 05:06 PM
    On the phone with Att right now over this issue. I called then over the weekend and they couldn't get it figured out. They Cavalli called me today to work on it again. I didn't expect a call. Hope to make some progress.
    10-31-16 05:41 PM
    It's something in how they have provisioning set, just as their provisioning turns off network selection, IMS/VoLTE selection capability (in the menus) and selection of network technologies. Best odds are that it is an error in how they have the particular IMEI range (which tells them what sort of device it is) set up in their systems.

It's crap that they do this sort of thing in the first place but this is what happens when you get cute -- sometimes you screw it up.
    10-31-16 05:44 PM
    Just spent about an hour and a half on the phone with Att and about another hour with blackberry. The Hotspot still doesn't work but BlackBerry is supposed to call me back tomorrow and I have a case number. I personally think it's an imei issue at the carrier level. Hope to update tomorrow.
    10-31-16 08:43 PM
    It almost-certainly is. I have tickets open on both sides as well; they'll find it. My best guess is that AT&T has the IMEI in their system as the wrong type of device (and one that prohibits tethering), but it's possible that Blackberry is reading some of the provisioning data that comes down from AT&T incorrectly too.

This is one of the problems with allowing carriers to set this sort of thing, but at least this appears to be an accident rather than an intentional "screw you" since both your and my plans *do* have tethering turned on and therefore it *should* work.
    10-31-16 09:23 PM
    I completely agree with you. Glad you got tickets open with both also. All the people I spoke with seems to legitimately be trying to find the issue. Eventually they will get it figured out.

I had a somewhat similar issue when I switched to the priv. That time it was no Hotspot, no LTE, and no voicemail. It got sorted out with the first call to Att customer service. This time I wasn't as lucky.

As soon as they figure out which provision is messing the imei up hopefully everyone with this issue can get it resolved.
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    10-31-16 10:01 PM
    The only provisioning problem I've run into with AT&T was quite a long time ago where they sent me a SIM that REFUSED to announce voicemail at all. Everything else worked, but never got a voicemail notify of any sort. (Voicemail notifications are specially-formatted SMS messages; in fact, that's why SMS was developed -- to turn on and off the VM waiting indicator!)

They never did figure out what was going on but swapped the SIM and it had a different prefix -- and magically, the problem went away.
    11-01-16 08:14 AM
    So it's been 4 days and no resolution to this...i was considering getting one but now I'm going to wait it out since I do use Hotspot all the time while traveling.
    11-01-16 12:30 PM
    So it's been 4 days and no resolution to this...i was considering getting one but now I'm going to wait it out since I do use Hotspot all the time while traveling.
    Same.....
    11-01-16 12:32 PM
    I'm in an AT&T corp store right now. Talking with tech support on phone (no techs in the store) He is writing the Case now. Previously support guy did not do this, although he said he was. Oh well.

I'll get a call on Nov 4 to follow up with the case.
    11-01-16 01:13 PM
    Well I spent another 90 minutes on the phone with Att "advanced" technical support. While the rep I talked with was very nice and had me try a lot of things the issue still remains. As we tried more things she brought in some other people. She told me her manager informed her the reason the Hotspot will not work is a corporate policy. This policy says devices Att does not sell are not provisioned for the Hotspot to work. I told her I thought this was a little shady and asked why it took about 8 hours of phone time with tech support to find this out. If that's the policy it should have been obvious from the start. Any bets on if they send me the customer satisfaction survey again?
    11-01-16 06:05 PM
    Well I spent another 90 minutes on the phone with Att "advanced" technical support. While the rep I talked with was very nice and had me try a lot of things the issue still remains. As we tried more things she brought in some other people. She told me her manager informed her the reason the Hotspot will not work is a corporate policy. This policy says devices Att does not sell are not provisioned for the Hotspot to work. I told her I thought this was a little shady and asked why it took about 8 hours of phone time with tech support to find this out. If that's the policy it should have been obvious from the start. Any bets on if they send me the customer satisfaction survey again?
    If this is really the case, then it's the worst possible outcome.
    11-01-16 06:32 PM
    File a FCC complaint they will write it to AT&T state is discriminatory conduct and a tied sale.
    11-01-16 06:34 PM
    File a FCC complaint they will write it to AT&T state is discriminatory conduct and a tied sale.
    Hopefully that works better than the FCC strategy vis--vis marshmallow for the Priv on Verizon.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-01-16 06:37 PM
    Hopefully that works better than the FCC strategy vis--vis marshmallow for the Priv on Verizon.
    *shutters* I still have nightmares... hopefully my DTEK60 arrives and makes it all better again :P
    11-01-16 06:56 PM
    This sounds like a load to me. There are plenty of non-AT&T devices that have mobile hotspot. I was told with my 16 GB plan the phone definitely is provisioned for hotspotting.

I tink this is a compatibility issue that will be resolved shortly.

Push the issue and demand they open an actual support case. I have one and am scheduled to talk with the senior tech team on Friday morning.
    11-01-16 08:24 PM
    I am definitely going to stay after them and I think there is a work around. I just wanted to share what I was told so far in case others were given different stories. I voiced my unhappiness with them that this seemed to something that should be an easy fix. I also wanted to know why, if this was a policy, did it take so long for them to tel me. It should have been obvious from the beginning
    11-01-16 08:54 PM
    Wow, the fact that they've not been able to get it to work is a bad sign - I too think the non-Att device thing is bogus and it would be a valid FCC complaint.

Thought about trying the DTEK 60 since all the NO SERVICE issues on my Priv (LTE now disabled), but looks like I'm just trying too hard to stay with BlackBerry
    11-01-16 09:34 PM
    She told me her manager informed her the reason the Hotspot will not work is a corporate policy. This policy says devices Att does not sell are not provisioned for the Hotspot to work.
    I don't recall that AT&T sold the Z30 and the mobile hotspot works fine on my Z30, my unlocked Classic, and my unlocked Passport. I think they are making that 'policy' up.

I have not taken my DTek60 in to the corporate store yet because the store closest to me destroyed one of my Z30's by prying the sim card out of it when the inept clerk had tried replace it.

I will be calling corporate AT&T again tomorrow to follow up on my case.
    11-01-16 09:41 PM
    I too think the policy is made up. If it was an actual thing I'm guessing they would have mentioned it before their techs spent so much time in the phone with me. I'm guessing they were hoping I'd just return the dtek60 and get something else and the issue would go away. If so they are wrong.
    11-01-16 10:26 PM
    Filing this right now at the FCC:

AT&T is intentionally discriminating against those who buy phones they do not sell. I have tethering on my plan (confirmed with a rep and in addition it works on a BlackBerry Priv); when I insert the SIM into my new BlackBerry DTEK60, tethering is unavailable despite both of them being on the same Android operating system (Marshmallow 6.0.1.) I am not alone in this; multiple other people have had the same result with the same device, and after multiple inquiries the claim has been made that AT&T will not "provision" tethering on a device they do not sell.

This appears to be an attempt to tie sales; this is not a device with a questionable history or technical incapacity and AT&T has sold and sells other BlackBerry devices. They just don't sell *THIS* model, and their refusal to allow that which I have available on my account to be used because I did not purchase a device they sell, and thus they got a margin and/or kickback on, appears to be an attempt to restrain trade through forcing a tied sale for a product I do not want. Comparable devices made by other manufacturers they DO sell are both network locked (which I do not want) *and* are more expensive (by a very material amount; the Samsung S7, for example, costs 40% more than the BlackBerry DTEK60, some of which I'm sure AT&T pockets.)

This appears to implicate not only FCC policy but anti-trust law regarding tied sale behavior as it cannot be justified on a "rule of reason" basis.

Site to file your own is at: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us
    00stryder and brian4591 like this.
    11-02-16 10:50 AM
    So we have confirmation that it was an intentional omission by AT&T?
    11-02-16 11:03 AM
    They've made the claim to a customer as reported up above in this thread.

They have not yet called (or emailed me) back on my ticket, but I filed this pre-emptively anyway. If it's a mistake then they can certainly correct it, but given that I've stuck the SIM into multiple other devices (including a Priv and a Z10) and it works in both of those, but is grayed out in the DTEK60.....
    00stryder likes this.
    11-02-16 11:08 AM
269 1234 ...