Any updates on the Hotspot issue?
    11-21-16 06:24 PM
    No. First pass unsuccessful.

Keep raising Hell.
    11-21-16 08:53 PM
    No. First pass unsuccessful.

Keep raising Hell.
    Did your contact attempt the fix on their side?
    11-21-16 09:06 PM
    Unknown what the truth is regarding what AT&T did or didn't do.
    11-21-16 09:48 PM
    I was contacted by AT&T shortly after filing FCC complaint and was told basically the same thing - that, in this instance, Hotspot is not supported on the DTEK60 (a device they don't sell) - and that there were no plans to make it available. Very disappointing - and now to decide whether to keep the DTEK60 (which, aside from the fact that it's Android and not BB10, I love) and forego Hotspot, look at other [portable] options - or return the phone and go to the [iOS] dark side.
    11-22-16 03:10 PM
    I was contacted by AT&T shortly after filing FCC complaint and was told basically the same thing - that, in this instance, Hotspot is not supported on the DTEK60 (a device they don't sell) - and that there were no plans to make it available. Very disappointing - and now to decide whether to keep the DTEK60 (which, aside from the fact that it's Android and not BB10, I love) and forego Hotspot, look at other [portable] options - or return the phone and go to the [iOS] dark side.
    BlackBerry is aware of the issue and are apparently working on a solution from their end as well, so we'll see what happens. I'm personally going to keep the phone, I took stock of how often I actually need hotspot and decided if necessary I could do without.
    11-22-16 03:12 PM
    As I've noted before there is a workaround if you have Bluetooth on the target device.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-22-16 03:42 PM
    As I've noted before there is a workaround if you have Bluetooth on the target device.
    Will you please explain the work around again.
    11-22-16 04:09 PM
    There are folks in the DTEK50 forum stating that they have hotspot functionality on AT&T's network. So looking like this issue is limited to just DTEK60.
    11-22-16 06:51 PM
    Will you please explain the work around again.
    Yes.

Load June Networks' PDANet (you must remove your SIM or it won't show up on the Play Store; AT&T blocks it from showing up. Fancy that.)

Load their helper on your laptop for Bluetooth (not necessary, but makes it easier)

Use it to tether over Bluetooth.

There is a free and paid version; the free version does not allow HTTPS connections. The paid version is unrestricted. Try it first to see if it works for you.

I have a license for this and have had for a long time (since before the Z10); of note Bluetooth is MUCH more battery friendly than WiFi, so it's quite useful even with a working "hotspot" option if you can't plug the phone in.

There is no TOS violation in this use case since your account with AT&T has the Hotspot option on it and you're entitled to use it. Note that this option also works in *some* cases (e.g. Straight Talk) with providers that ban hotspot usage but in those cases it's dangerous because if you're detected (and they CAN detect it via packet inspection) you're running the risk of having your account killed.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-22-16 07:33 PM
    There are folks in the DTEK50 forum stating that they have hotspot functionality on AT&T's network. So looking like this issue is limited to just DTEK60.
    It *appears* that AT&T has their back end mis-coded on the IMEI prefix for the DTEK60 for a device that doesn't have WiFI, thus they do not send down the flag to allow tethering over WiFi (and USB.)

The problem is that they have (thus far) refused to fix the flag despite it clearly being a trivial change for them to make on their end.
    11-22-16 07:36 PM
    I wanted the DTEK but these problems pushed me to decide on a Moto G4. However I still am having a hard time pulling the trigger and keep checking this thread hoping for a fix - sad, but I might just have to move on. The phone itself looks nice but I absolutely need Hotspot.
    11-23-16 12:13 PM
    Same here... been monitoring this thread in hopes of a resolution.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-16 01:20 PM
    here is the post on user forum of att... one of the pixel user appear to be able to get the hot spot no problem... anyone get better news lately?

"Nov 4, 2016 1:15 PM
    Re: BlackBerry DTEK60 on AT&T?

@Jebjr

Non ATT phones can't use the hotspot on unlimited plans. They are allowed on all tiered data plan, including the new Advantage plan with zero overages.

With the exception of iPhone, non ATT phones cannot use hotspot on Gophone plans either.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. "
    11-23-16 03:17 PM
    They need to keep taking fire on this -- again, it appears to be a screwup as they keep claiming that it's permitted on all tiered data plans (which the people with the problem here are on.)

The reason it's not working is that their back-end system is mis-classifying the device and thus provisioning it incorrectly. It's fixable, and fixing it would not violate any of their existing policies, but they have to WANT to fix it.
    jlinc and 00stryder like this.
    11-23-16 03:22 PM
    Except iphone. Discrimination?
    11-23-16 03:51 PM
    Except iphone. Discrimination?
    Att has always catered to Apple pretty hard.
    11-23-16 05:11 PM
    Att has always catered to Apple pretty hard.
    If apple can have it then I'd say discrimination
    11-23-16 05:21 PM
    If apple can have it then I'd say discrimination
    Not like your phone choice is something you were born into...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-23-16 09:01 PM
    In my DTEK60 the option for hotspot is grayed out (meaning it is not available). I received the following answer after escalating within AT&T (my carrier) the issue with mobile sharing and tethering: "AT&T reserves the right to make available such feature to factory-unlocked-not-bought-through-us phones. Therefore, such a feature is not available for your unit". Boys and girls, can we do something about this?
    11-24-16 05:27 PM
    It *appears* that AT&T has their back end mis-coded on the IMEI prefix for the DTEK60 for a device that doesn't have WiFI, thus they do not send down the flag to allow tethering over WiFi (and USB.)

The problem is that they have (thus far) refused to fix the flag despite it clearly being a trivial change for them to make on their end.
    In my DTEK60 the option for hotspot is grayed out (meaning it is not available). I received the following answer after escalating within AT&T (my carrier) the issue with mobile sharing and tethering: "AT&T reserves the right to make available such feature to factory-unlocked-not-bought-through-us phones. Therefore, such a feature is not available for your unit". Boys and girls, can we do something about this?
    11-24-16 05:29 PM
    Uh, read the other posts...

11-24-16 06:51 PM
    I use a ZTE Axon 7 with an AT&T GoPhone plan and my hotspot works just fine????
    11-24-16 07:08 PM
    I use a ZTE Axon 7 with an AT&T GoPhone plan and my hotspot works just fine????
    So, is the ZTE Axon 7 a DTEK60?

11-24-16 07:19 PM
    No but an android
    11-24-16 07:24 PM
269 ... 678910 ...