My FCC complaint, just filed:

AT&T Not Supporting DTEK60 Phone Tied Sales Violation

AT&T is refusing to resolve a technical problem preventing use of my cell phone as a Wireless Hotspot. They tell me to contact the manufacturer because it is not "an AT&T phone" and "you bought it off the internet". They said they would do nothing and I had to contact the manufacturer.

The phone is a BlackBerry DTEk60 running the Android operating system, version 6.0.1

On Oct 25 I purchased this phone new directly from Blackberry. AT&T does not sell this phone. On Oct 29 I initiated cell service in an AT&T store using their SIM card. My plan has 16 GB data which is advertised to have Mobile Hotspot service.

When setting up the phone, I saw that the Mobile Hotspot feature is greyed out in the Setting menu, completely inaccessible.

I have called AT&T several times and even visited their store to resolve their service problem on my phone. They opened a case, but on my most recent call om Nov 3, was informed that my case was closed. They lied by saying the issue was resolved (it is not) and they had texted me the notice the issue was resolved (they did not.) On the phone they said they would do nothing more because I didn't buy the phone from AT&T

This is NOT an issue on other service providers; only AT&T. People with these phones on other service providers report the Mobile Hotspot function is working properly.

I contacted BlackBerry support directly and they confirmed they are getting many calls about this problem and wanted me to initiate a case "so AT&T will cooperate with us" on a resolution.

This is unacceptable anti-trust behavior by AT&T. I am a customer on their system using a top line new, current phone. It is unacceptable and may be unlawful for them to just tell me to talk to the manufacturer. And I am further concerned that it appears the manufacturer is having difficulty getting AT&T to work with them!

Please contact AT&T and direct them to resolve this issue immediately, and to cease and desist further anti-trust actions and communications.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-04-16 12:59 PM
    Just got a call back from AT&T on my FCC complaint -- they explicitly said that on devices "they do not sell" that they don't necessarily allow or support services provisioned on the account -- including in this case Hotspot.

Oh, and they killed my VVM service too, which DID work.

They noted my screed back at them, and when this gets bounced back to the FCC I'll hammer it back again (that's how the process works; the FCC will not close the complaint unilaterally.)

Keep hammering folks....
    00stryder likes this.
    11-04-16 01:11 PM
    Just got a call back from AT&T on my FCC complaint -- they explicitly said that on devices "they do not sell" that they don't necessarily allow or support services provisioned on the account -- including in this case Hotspot.

Oh, and they killed my VVM service too, which DID work.

They noted my screed back at them, and when this gets bounced back to the FCC I'll hammer it back again (that's how the process works; the FCC will not close the complaint unilaterally.)

Keep hammering folks....
    That's crazy. I'll definitely have to weigh my options, I could go without mobile hotspot but ideally wouldn't want to. It really makes no sense for them to be punks about it, do they want our business or not?
    11-04-16 01:37 PM
    That's crazy. I'll definitely have to weigh my options, I could go without mobile hotspot but ideally wouldn't want to. It really makes no sense for them to be punks about it, do they want our business or not?
    I'm about ready to dump AT&T for T Mobile. This is serious horse sh!t.
    11-04-16 01:42 PM
    It's far better to shove this up AT&Ts chute than simply walk off folks.

The risk will follow you to other carriers. This has to be stomped on or we're going to wind up back where we were in AMPS days, where there was no compatibility issue AT ALL but the carrier refusal to give you an unlock code meant that you had to toss your phone when you changed carriers EVERY TIME.

I lived through those days and that sort of tying arrangement was pervasive. Nobody's going to build wide-band handsets (that will work on all providers, or nearly all) if there is no market for them due to this sort of restriction. If we lose that then we both lose choice AND wind up overpaying for our devices; it's already happening in the latter case as the DTEK60 compares favorably against devices that cost 40% more but are sold by the carriers. We're talking hundreds of bucks here folks...

Here's my latest on this -- the more exposure this gets on social media and similar, and thus the more noise that gets made, the better.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231609
    11-04-16 02:19 PM
    Thanks, tickerguy. Very interesting article. I am at T Mobile now checking options. I already have the FCC complaint and will continue to press that. But I won't compromise without service that my phone is capable of providing.

Seems AT&T is stonewalling so I will not send them another dollar until they change practices.
    11-04-16 02:42 PM
    The DTEK60 is reported to be fully compatible with T-Mobile, including Band 12 and VoLTE.

I KNOW it works on T-Mobile's hotspot as I've tested it, but I do not live in a Band12 area.
    11-04-16 03:03 PM
    It's far better to shove this up AT&Ts chute than simply walk off folks.

The risk will follow you to other carriers. This has to be stomped on or we're going to wind up back where we were in AMPS days, where there was no compatibility issue AT ALL but the carrier refusal to give you an unlock code meant that you had to toss your phone when you changed carriers EVERY TIME.

I lived through those days and that sort of tying arrangement was pervasive. Nobody's going to build wide-band handsets (that will work on all providers, or nearly all) if there is no market for them due to this sort of restriction. If we lose that then we both lose choice AND wind up overpaying for our devices; it's already happening in the latter case as the DTEK60 compares favorably against devices that cost 40% more but are sold by the carriers. We're talking hundreds of bucks here folks...

Here's my latest on this -- the more exposure this gets on social media and similar, and thus the more noise that gets made, the better.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231609
    I do plan on staying with AT&T for now, and unlike my time with Verizon I will be more hands-on with the movement for change as I have much more time and a much shorter fuse for carrier nonsense. (Plus, T-Mo doesn't "exist" in our neck of the woods so I'm SOL)
    11-04-16 03:31 PM
    On T Mobile now. Will give them a trial period.

AT&T, you're Fired!!!
    11-04-16 07:00 PM
    Here's a reply from a AT&T Wireless Forum guru regarding hotspot devices on their data plans: "Non ATT phones can't use the hotspot on unlimited plans. They are allowed on all tiered data plan, including the new Advantage plan with zero overages. With the exception of iPhone, non ATT phones cannot use hotspot on Gophone plans either."
    11-05-16 07:57 AM
    Here's a reply from a AT&T Wireless Forum guru regarding hotspot devices on their data plans: "Non ATT phones can't use the hotspot on unlimited plans. They are allowed on all tiered data plan, including the new Advantage plan with zero overages. With the exception of iPhone, non ATT phones cannot use hotspot on Gophone plans either."
    Now that is interesting. I am wonder if the people with the hot spot issue are all on unlimited plans? I am using an unlocked passport on AT&T plan on a tier data plan and hot spot can be utilized. When AT&T began offering customers that had DirectTV unlimited plans I called them to inquire due to I have DirectTV. What I found out was if I switched off my tier plan I would lose my hotspot capabilities. I decided not to switch due to that factor. So I am watching this hot spot issues before I switch to a DTEK60. I want all my freedom when I purchase an unlocked phone.
    11-05-16 08:59 AM
    Unfortunately that reassurance does not align with reality. I have a non-unlimited plan and cannot get Hotspot to work on my new DTEK60.
    11-05-16 09:01 AM
    No, I am on a 5Gb data plan and have no hotspot on the DTEK60 although AT&T has confirmed that the option is on my plan and it does work if I stick the SIM in a Priv.
    11-05-16 09:02 AM
    No, I am on a 5Gb data plan and have no hotspot on the DTEK60 although AT&T has confirmed that the option is on my plan and it does work if I stick the SIM in a Priv.
    I have the exact same experience but with my 40 gb family plan. Hotspot works on the 4 iPhones and 2 Privs on this plan. And it worked two days ago for me when this sim was in my priv. This sim in my new DTEK60? No dice for hotspot
    11-05-16 09:12 AM
    Here's my reply to the BlackBerry DTEK60 on AT&T? forum: I transitioned months ago from a tiered to a unlimited plan ill-informed that my AT&T purchased BlackBerry would no longer support hotspot functionality. I now use a UnitePro hotspot I pay extra for each month. It's unfortunate for the poor slobs who were likely also ill informed they too can no longer hotspot their new devices. I'm just saying.
    11-05-16 09:24 AM
    I also have a non-unlimited plan and every other phone I own when using the same Sim card I have Hotspot available. Not one of my phones was purchased through ATT either. My plan is a data capped family share plan.

The only phone that does not work is my Dtek60. Regardless of the Hotspot issues the Dtek60 is a keeper.

I hope ATT and BlackBerry can get this resolved soon.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-05-16 11:51 AM
    For the week I was on AT&T, I was on a 16GB plan that included mobile hotspot. But would not work on my DTEK60, despite multiple calls and a visit to an AT&T corporate store.

Same 2 phones work fine on T-Mobile including mobile hotspot. And Unlimited Data! Now I need to monitor actual coverage in south coastal Texas.
    11-05-16 12:16 PM
    I am not on a unlimited plan and the Hotspot feature does not work on my dtek60. I have spent several hours on the phone with Att. I plan on staying on them as this seems like it should be an easy fix but they are not cooperating. I have however been offered a credit on my bill for my time. I told the rep when he offered it to me that I was not going to drop the issue and I was not committing to staying with Att.
    Tbtbtstj and 00stryder like this.
    11-05-16 03:27 PM
    I am not on a unlimited plan and the Hotspot feature does not work on my dtek60. I have spent several hours on the phone with Att. I plan on staying on them as this seems like it should be an easy fix but they are not cooperating. I have however been offered a credit on my bill for my time. I told the rep when he offered it to me that I was not going to drop the issue and I was not committing to staying with Att.
    Thanks for not dropping the issue with them. I am going to continue with my FCC complaint even though I left AT&T for T-Mobile. And keeping my support case open with BlackBerry.

Let us know if AT&T decides to follow the law and unblock this feature.
    11-06-16 09:53 AM
    Can anyone with the DTEK 60 on ATT confirm that their hotspot works? I was going to order mine tonight, but just read this. I have an unlocked Z30 on ATT and the hotspot works. I only use it every once in a while, but when I do it's a big deal that I have it.
    11-06-16 10:40 AM
    I was seriously considering the DTEK60 but am now convinced that staying with BlackBerry is asking for more pain. Plus there's not going to be any new PKB devices so I'll have to let go eventually.

I'm heavily leaning toward the Motorola G4 plus instead. Also seriously considering moving my business account out of At&t to T-Mo.
    11-06-16 12:02 PM
    I was seriously considering the DTEK60 but am now convinced that staying with BlackBerry is asking for more pain. Plus there's not going to be any new PKB devices so I'll have to let go eventually.

I'm heavily leaning toward the Motorola G4 plus instead. Also seriously considering moving my business account out of At&t to T-Mo.
    What leads you to believe this issue isn't common to other devices AT&T doesn't sell? It is, in fact, and AT&T has confirmed that.

What leads you to believe you won't run into a similar issue on T-Mobile? T-Mobile has in fact forced vendors to disable Band12 entirely in the past.

In addition your "preferred" other choice, Motorola, has run into this too. Motorola "Play" models were refused activation on Verizon originally despite being completely compatible. Was a "well-timed" and "polite" call from the FCC behind that restriction being dropped? We don't know, but what we DO know is that Verizon attempted to blackball the Motorola devices too, for the same reason -- they didn't sell them.

The solution to this is not found by going to some other phone vendor like the Moto G4plus. It is found in solving the problem, which comes through enforcement of existing anti-trust law that bans such practices for the purpose of tying sales.
    11-06-16 12:22 PM
    Thanks for not dropping the issue with them. I am going to continue with my FCC complaint even though I left AT&T for T-Mobile. And keeping my support case open with BlackBerry.

Let us know if AT&T decides to follow the law and unblock this feature.
    I plan on keeping my case open with BlackBerry and Att plus plan on going the fcc route also. To me it's a principle issue as I can see this snowballing in the next few years. It's going to turn into a system where we have to buy devices from the carrier at a bloated price just to get the features we want.
    11-06-16 10:11 PM
    What leads you to believe this issue isn't common to other devices AT&T doesn't sell? It is, in fact, and AT&T has confirmed that.

What leads you to believe you won't run into a similar issue on T-Mobile? T-Mobile has in fact forced vendors to disable Band12 entirely in the past.

In addition your "preferred" other choice, Motorola, has run into this too. Motorola "Play" models were refused activation on Verizon originally despite being completely compatible. Was a "well-timed" and "polite" call from the FCC behind that restriction being dropped? We don't know, but what we DO know is that Verizon attempted to blackball the Motorola devices too, for the same reason -- they didn't sell them.

The solution to this is not found by going to some other phone vendor like the Moto G4plus. It is found in solving the problem, which comes through enforcement of existing anti-trust law that bans such practices for the purpose of tying sales.
    Valid points - but my son's Moto G3 has no problem and I'm going to bet AT&T has way more Moto users than BlackBerry users. The IMEI problem on the DTEK does not look like they are willing to solve and I'm not sure BlackBerry can change the IMEI with a software fix.

Verizon prolly wanted to block the Moto Play because they have exclusive on the Droid models. Will much rather have AT&T than Verizon!!

I've also had the NO SERVICE issue on my Priv so am pretty much done with them and willing to give T-Mo a chance to disappoint me.
    11-06-16 11:08 PM
    I have DTEK60 on ATT with 15GB plan and mobile hotspot enabled. I have successfully used the very same ATT SIM with BB Passport SE, BB Classic, BB DTEK50 and a couple of Windows phones for mobile hotspot with no problems. I cannot access mobile hotspot on the DTEK60 - menu greyed out. I called ATT and they walked me through cellular networks/access point names to no avail - they say it's a Blackberry problem. I have contacted BB customer service and they wanted to know if I knew how to turn the hotspot on...waiting to hear their next response. I will be returning this phone if this is not resolved before the return period expires - would be a shame as this phone is otherwise excellent for my purposes.
    11-07-16 05:48 AM
269 ... 23456 ...