Hello All,

Can anyone tell me of any challenges, things to watch out for when switching between the above devices?

My main concern is contacts, I use Back up pro and assume a smooth transition?

Appreciate any advice for when I take the plunge

Regards David

Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2836
    11-15-16 10:53 PM
    Hello.

I switched from a BlackBerry Z30 to a BlackBerry PRIV.

And let me tell you a few things about the PRIV.

1. It is a big device. Z30 is manageable with a single hand. But for the PRIV, you need two hands.

2. It burns through its battery like nobody's business. Literally. Z30 could give me a full day on 50% charge. This is down to less than 25% if I am being careful of my use.

3. It heats up.

4. The design is too delicate to be handled without worrying.

5. It is heavy. Very heavy.

6. Android is a pain. What can be achieved on BlackBerry 10 with just a few swipe, feels painfully slow on Android - irrespective of the specs of the device. The OS itself is heavily clumsy. And it surprises me every single time, that this OS has an 86% market share.

These are the few I can state.

The only positive:

Applications.

Which isn't much for me.
    Kot Prada and silversmith75 like this.
    11-15-16 11:56 PM
    I did a whole post in the DTEK60 forums here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...droid-1091647/

Check it!

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 10:00 PM
    Hello,

I switched from a blackberry z30 to a blackberry dtek60 last week.

1.) It is a big device, but like the z30 it is manageable with one hand since it is lightweight(see below)

2.) It burns through that battery at a slightly faster rate than my z30 (but it is still quite good)

3.) It doesn't heat up

4.) The design is elegant err delicate - I use the bundled cover. (Never used a case on a phone before but I am for the dtek60)

5.) It is light. Very light

6.) Android is a pain... that can be customized in countless ways. I have the productivity tab on the left so I can swipe in to the hub like bb10. I have swipe up for hub, swipe up and left for BBM and swipe up and right for browser. Only thing I miss is peek but the tab does well enough.

7.) It is very fast.

Other positive: Apps. Which means a lot to me.

Hello.

1. It is a big device. Z30 is manageable with a single hand. But for the PRIV, you need two hands.

2. It burns through its battery like nobody's business. Literally. Z30 could give me a full day on 50% charge. This is down to less than 25% if I am being careful of my use.

3. It heats up.

6. Android is a pain. What can be achieved on BlackBerry 10 with just a few swipe, feels painfully slow on Android - irrespective of the specs of the device. The OS itself is heavily clumsy. And it surprises me every single time, that this OS has an 86% market share.

The only positive:

Applications.

Which isn't much for me.
    11-16-16 10:45 PM
    Heres my run down for it.
    Its a bit long with some updates here and there as well as some device hopping.
    I also did a sting (about a month or so) with Windows 10 mobile. But that's not written yet.

As of this moment, I've been on my Priv since after the Win10 run.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sport-1048775/
    11-16-16 11:03 PM
    Hello.

3. It heats up.

The only positive:

Applications.

Which isn't much for me.
    I agree on the battery and heating. Otherwise the Priv is a pretty decent phone. I came from the Z30 also. No real regrets.
    11-16-16 11:12 PM
    I agree with everything PhilG says. My exact experience!
    11-17-16 12:13 AM
    I suggest you to play with s7 /s7 edge sumsung depending on your preferences.
    I jumped from passport to s7 edge for business.
    Battery lasts 3-5 percent less than passport
    No heating issues even during rom installation
    Very responsive
    Edge applications with quick access
    One hand operation
    In any case you are going to face with some transfer period from BlackBerry 10 to android, which is completely different.
    My understanding that DTEK is pretty close to any other regular android, the only difference is that rooting of blackberry android is impossible at least now.
    I also suggest to look the XDA android forum before you make the decision.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-16 03:46 AM
    I think that DTEK60 has a also a relatively big battery. And it doesn't blow up either, haha (reference to Samsung's recent misfortune).

Posted via CB10
    11-17-16 04:22 AM

Exactly! Same here! After BB10 Android feels like VW after Rolls-Royce.
    Last edited by Kot Prada; 11-18-16 at 05:28 AM.
    11-17-16 05:37 AM
    Exactly! Same here! After BB10 Android feel like VW after Rolls-Royce.
    You would feel exactly this way if:
    1. You thought BB10 is the best OS in the world and the Hub is the best thing since sliced bread.
    2. You tried to repeat the BB10 experience in an Android phone.
    3. You considered every little Android difference as short coming and ignored its strengths.

An open mindset on Android would go a long way in helping you to make the change.

There is one matter I think you should give some thoughts. Backing up has proved to an issue for some people. There are few backup options available for 3rd party apps. You will have to look for a backup app in the Playstore (e.g. Helium). AFAIK currently there is no way to back up Notes and Tasks.
    11-17-16 09:02 AM
    Hello All,

Can anyone tell me of any challenges, things to watch out for when switching between the above devices?

My main concern is contacts, I use Back up pro and assume a smooth transition?

Appreciate any advice for when I take the plunge

Regards David

Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2836
    Between BlackBerry transfer app and exporting and importing you passwords you should be good
    11-17-16 09:24 AM
    There is one matter I think you should give some thoughts. Backing up has proved to an issue for some people. There are few backup options available for 3rd party apps. You will have to look for a backup app in the Playstore (e.g. Helium). AFAIK currently there is no way to back up Notes and Tasks.
    Backing up is important to me, but I don;t think I should have any issues:
    photos/videos/music/documents - I can back up via USB cable on PC once a month
    contacts backed up via gmail
    calendar, email, contacts, tasks backed up through email servers
    apps which apps you had is saved in Play Store for easy re-download

What am I missing???? Historical text messages, BBM messages, Whatsapp messages, phone settings... not a big deal to me. what else is there?
    11-17-16 10:27 AM
    I don't care for android. I avoid the os as much as possible. I do have an active android phone but I've set it up to go directly to my app when I hit the on button. So I don't have to look at that annoying "ok google" thing every time now anymore.

I have an even older android device running 2.1. I rooted it and junked all useless apps and all app stores too and use it as an ereader. The minimalist thing never heats up and one charge can last me almost a month.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    Kot Prada likes this.
    11-17-16 11:08 AM
    Backing up is important to me, but I don;t think I should have any issues:
    photos/videos/music/documents - I can back up via USB cable on PC once a month
    contacts backed up via gmail
    calendar, email, contacts, tasks backed up through email servers
    apps which apps you had is saved in Play Store for easy re-download

What am I missing???? Historical text messages, BBM messages, Whatsapp messages, phone settings... not a big deal to me. what else is there?
    What you are doing looks good. Some people are looking for a one-step solution like BlackBerry Link. There isn't any.

Again BlackBerry Notes and Tasks are problem for backup. You'll be OK if you don't use them.
    11-17-16 11:21 AM
    A little trick, you don't need to swipe up and right or left, you can go straight up from the bottom right or left and will get the same result... up from the triangle would be swipe up and left...

6.) Android is a pain... that can be customized in countless ways. I have the productivity tab on the left so I can swipe in to the hub like bb10. I have swipe up for hub, swipe up and left for BBM and swipe up and right for browser. Only thing I miss is peek but the tab does well enough.
    Pcmx likes this.
    11-17-16 03:31 PM
    A little trick, you don't need to swipe up and right or left, you can go straight up from the bottom right or left and will get the same result... up from the triangle would be swipe up and left...
    I didn't know this

Z30 to a DTEK60. Weight is about the same. Felt delicate at first but seems solid. Battery on my Dtek60 is noticeably better than my Z30.

Was reluctant to move from BB10 but Android has been trouble free. I like the keyboard and it's customizations on Android better.

The part that surprised me most is going back to the Z30 how slow it is now!
    11-19-16 12:24 AM
    Hello.

3. It heats up.

The only positive:

Applications.

Which isn't much for me.
    I disagree with everything you said I think maybe other than it heats up the odd time. Z30 was way thicker, felt larger in hand for that reason. Priv battery life has been great since marshmallow update. Get through a day with heavy use no problem. The design is great. It's better than that of the glass dtek60 in my opinion. I've dropped this thing 100 times and ya the corners get chipped up. Never a shatter. I do not find it heavy at all. In fact I find it very well balanced with the keyboard slid out. The classic was a heavy device for its size. And lastly, if you think swiping is a pain on the android blackberry, how about having to side load any relevant app on bb10 and still not have them work. That's a lot worse to me!
    YeemanBB likes this.
    11-19-16 01:36 AM
    I think most of those in the favor of Android are fine with the change/upgrade, because of the lack of the app gap. And I seem to have mentioned that as a positive on Android. Which, personally for me, does not do much.

I used the BlackBerry Z30 again for a couple of days this month, and am simply blown away yet again. The ease of the OS, the feel of the device, everything just works. The browser is slow, sure.

But as a phone for emailing and basic social media like BBM, WhatsApp and Facebook, it is rock solid.

I just might be doing away with my BlackBerry PRIV.
    silversmith75 and Kot Prada like this.
    11-19-16 07:16 AM
    I think many people here agree that BB10 is a more efficient OS, but not perfect... however what's better depends on the user priorities, and having apps running well is a necessity in many cases, a convenience not wiling to give it up in many others... there BB10 is behind and the main reason why never had a chance...

I think most of those in the favor of Android are fine with the change/upgrade, because of the lack of the app gap. And I seem to have mentioned that as a positive on Android. Which, personally for me, does not do much.

I used the BlackBerry Z30 again for a couple of days this month, and am simply blown away yet again. The ease of the OS, the feel of the device, everything just works. The browser is slow, sure.

But as a phone for emailing and basic social media like BBM, WhatsApp and Facebook, it is rock solid.

I just might be doing away with my BlackBerry PRIV.
    11-19-16 12:07 PM
    Bb10 has not been updated in over a year. Imagine the updates or where it could have been if it wasn't mismanaged. That being said. The only thing android has going for it is apps. The os is terrible. Imo. I have deleted all my email accounts from mine. And do all my email with my z30. I agree with a previous post I can't figure out why it has so much. Market share. Other than the sheer volume of devices and the price compared to ios.

#luvmybb10os
    Kot Prada likes this.
    11-19-16 02:38 PM
    You'll find yourself doing the same gestures on Dtek60 but it's doesn't respond the way os10 did.
    11-20-16 09:02 AM
    Because it has devices that start at $5 going upwards. Majority of the world do not have incomes that would make them buy $400 phones. It gives you iphone looks without the iphone performance.

Bb10 has not been updated in over a year. Imagine the updates or where it could have been if it wasn't mismanaged. That being said. The only thing android has going for it is apps. The os is terrible. Imo. I have deleted all my email accounts from mine. And do all my email with my z30. I agree with a previous post I can't figure out why it has so much. Market share. Other than the sheer volume of devices and the price compared to ios.

#luvmybb10os
    11-20-16 09:06 AM
    You'll find yourself doing the same gestures on Dtek60 but it's doesn't respond the way os10 did.
    I'm other way around. Trying to use Android moves like double tap to wake on BB10
    11-20-16 01:37 PM