The only way BlackBerry will garner success is if they could attract other Android users, who pretty much have a ton of options, either cheaper and/or better spec'ed. Security as a differentiating feature isn't enough for the general Android crowd and that, I'm sure, BlackBerry has realized.
    Exactly, they need to attract other android users who don't understand or care for security. If they were so privacy or security conscious they wouldn't be acting stupid for all those apps and services that rob them of all that info. In order to get those users, BlackBerry needs to make their device known and available, which they haven't. And round and round we go...

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    11-21-16 01:18 PM
    Does anyone know if any phone outlets like ee, carphone warehouse, Vodafone, o2,etc are offering Dtek60 on contract in UK, as I don't want to buy it outright.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 03:02 PM
    Imagine if BlackBerry had the marketing team like Apple.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 05:34 PM
    Exactly, they need to attract other android users who don't understand or care for security. If they were so privacy or security conscious they wouldn't be acting stupid for all those apps and services that rob them of all that info. In order to get those users, BlackBerry needs to make their device known and available, which they haven't. And round and round we go...
    How has that been working for HTC, LG, Lenovo, Sony, etc.? They advertise, have their devices available, but the mobile unit keeps losing money.
    11-21-16 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    No company other than Samsung who by the way makes almost every component in house can compete this way.

Its impossible to under cut the chinese brands for obvious reasons.

None of the brands from any other country can compete in price and remain profitable.

So what you are saying is basically impossible unless BlackBerry does a Motorola. Which is to sell the device division to the chinese and have no ownership.

I think what they are doing now is the best and final compromise.
    11-21-16 07:05 PM
    How has that been working for HTC, LG, Lenovo, Sony, etc.? They advertise, have their devices available, but the mobile unit keeps losing money.
    HTC was a very strong company in this market but they went after unsuccessful deals, lots of cheap offerings, diluted and tarnished their brand.

Sony never saw success in NA. I don't know how their units in other parts of the world are doing but here they pulled a BlackBerry before BlackBerry and failed to consistently approach carriers. They relied on Internet based sales completely ignoring the fact that most people here buy their hardware subsidized from carriers, from brick and mortar locations.

Lenovo has been building market share in China and I think India. Very large markets but not exactly top spenders for buying expensive hardware. However, as far as I know they're gaining market share and they're expanding. They're moving into eastern EU. So, can't say they're doing bad... I don't think you can get their smartphone offerings in NA, yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-16 01:51 AM
    No company other than Samsung who by the way makes almost every component in house can compete this way.

Its impossible to under cut the chinese brands for obvious reasons.

None of the brands from any other country can compete in price and remain profitable.

So what you are saying is basically impossible unless BlackBerry does a Motorola. Which is to sell the device division to the chinese and have no ownership.

I think what they are doing now is the best and final compromise.
    What I'm saying is that BlackBerry has no hope of being successful in the hardware business if it keeps relying on gov/bis and continues to ignore the consumer market. Engaging the consumer market requires distribution channels, namely the carriers which BlackBerry does not seem to be engaging anymore. And, at least some forms of advertising so people know this brand still exists. I'm not saying that outsourcing design etc is a bad move considering their position, but same problem remains in that they put no effort into educating potential customers of their offerings, hence same story repeats itself with their diminishing sales.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-16 02:16 AM
    Unless the carriers in the USA support and sell these phones, they are going nowhere. I would love a DTEK 60, but Verizon Wireless isn't going to be carrying it!
    Now that my Classic's audio appears to be shot (hard reset didn't work so OS reinstall tomorrow), perhaps a DTEK60 is in my future if I wanted BlackBerry's equivalent of a Z30.

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Classic on at&t
    11-22-16 02:23 AM
    HTC was a very strong company in this market but they went after unsuccessful deals, lots of cheap offerings, diluted and tarnished their brand.

Sony never saw success in NA. I don't know how their units in other parts of the world are doing but here they pulled a BlackBerry before BlackBerry and failed to consistently approach carriers. They relied on Internet based sales completely ignoring the fact that most people here buy their hardware subsidized from carriers, from brick and mortar locations.

Lenovo has been building market share in China and I think India. Very large markets but not exactly top spenders for buying expensive hardware. However, as far as I know they're gaining market share and they're expanding. They're moving into eastern EU. So, can't say they're doing bad... I don't think you can get their smartphone offerings in NA, yet.
    Well, it seems that the only companies that did it the "right way", then, is Samsung and Apple, who's advertising budgets were $3.3 billion and $1.8 billion for 2016, respectively. BlackBerry, at the moment, doesn't have that kind of money. Further, they don't have that kind of money to throw at carriers, or carrier reps, to garner favorable recommendations.

(Lenovo owns Motorola, which is the branding available in the U.S.)
    11-22-16 12:39 PM
    What I'm saying is that BlackBerry has no hope of being successful in the hardware business if it keeps relying on gov/bis and continues to ignore the consumer market. Engaging the consumer market requires distribution channels, namely the carriers which BlackBerry does not seem to be engaging anymore. And, at least some forms of advertising so people know this brand still exists. I'm not saying that outsourcing design etc is a bad move considering their position, but same problem remains in that they put no effort into educating potential customers of their offerings, hence same story repeats itself with their diminishing sales.
    Think of it this way: BlackBerry doesn't have a lot of money to pour into all the resources it takes to be successful with consumers (carrier relations, carrier rep "bribes", large advertising campaigns, etc.) They looked at their core assets and that is in security. Enterprise/companies value security, way more than consumers. (BlackBerry isn't about to embark on a long campaign to educate the general public about security before being able to sell phones. They don't have the time, nor the money.) BlackBerry decided that their first goal is to do well in the small security niche because it requires less /new/ resources for them to be successful; they're already in the space and have the know-how. This is why their phones are targeted toward enterprise/companies. Do they want to be successful with consumers, yes, of course, but they realize they don't currently have what it takes to get there. They need to stabilize revenue/profit before venturing into something bigger.
    PAC757 and bigjman like this.
    11-22-16 12:51 PM
    Think of it this way: BlackBerry doesn't have a lot of money to pour into all the resources it takes to be successful with consumers (carrier relations, carrier rep "bribes", large advertising campaigns, etc.) They looked at their core assets and that is in security. Enterprise/companies value security, way more than consumers. (BlackBerry isn't about to embark on a long campaign to educate the general public about security before being able to sell phones. They don't have the time, nor the money.) BlackBerry decided that their first goal is to do well in the small security niche because it requires less /new/ resources for them to be successful; they're already in the space and have the know-how. This is why their phones are targeted toward enterprise/companies. Do they want to be successful with consumers, yes, of course, but they realize they don't currently have what it takes to get there. They need to stabilize revenue/profit before venturing into something bigger.
    Very well said. I always appreciated Blackberry's attention to security, but have been using other Android phones for the past few years, but this phone, the DTEK60, is definitely getting me back to Blackberry. My daughter has a cheap Cricket Idol 3, I think I paid $99 for it, and she's definitely not easy on phones and that phone has held up pretty well and it's still going, she doesn't have a clue about clearing cache, updates, or anything else that involves taking care of a phone and hasn't had a single problem with it.
    11-22-16 01:04 PM
    These are all well known facts, but unfortunately enterprise isn't investing in individual handsets for security but rather into the backbones. A BYOD saves the company a ton of money when they no longer need to acquire and support the hardware. Guess where the IT guys once responsible for handling BlackBerry hardware are over at the company I work for. BlackBerry strategy is not working and that has been apparent in the crashing sales for years. Dtek60, as far as a DROID goes, is in my opinion a very good buy when you compare the price of the competing hardware, however, sales will likely decline even further. Time will show...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Manesik; 11-23-16 at 12:01 AM.
    11-22-16 09:31 PM
    Does anyone know if any phone outlets like ee, carphone warehouse, Vodafone, o2,etc are offering Dtek60 on contract in UK, as I don't want to buy it outright.

Posted via CB10
    Mobile phones direct or the smartphone company are offering contracts but not upgrades on the dtek60.
    11-23-16 12:11 AM
    These are all well known facts, but unfortunately enterprise isn't investing in individual handsets for security but rather into the backbones. A BYOD saves the company a ton of money when they no longer need to acquire and support the hardware. Guess where the IT guys once responsible for handling BlackBerry hardware are over at the company I work for. BlackBerry strategy is not working and that has been apparent in the crashing sales for years. Dtek60, as far as a DROID goes, is in my opinion a very good buy when you compare the price of the competing hardware, however, sales will likely decline even further. Time will show...
    Good thing BlackBerry invested in this "backbone".

If Enterprise is getting rid of hardware support, what are those IT guys doing at your company? Their jobs should have been phased out.

"sales will likely decline even further"... where have you been? It's already been happening... An amazing prediction would be to say that the DTEK60 will revive sales.
    11-23-16 03:45 AM
    Will they ever appreciate?
    I honestly don't think so.
    Nope. My relationship with BlackBerry or RIM whatsoever is done. They don't get it. I am going to become a pure user with no enthusiasm about any smartphones.
    Thank you, BlackBerry, for the fact that you actually cure my unknown disease.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-16 08:03 AM
    Will they ever appreciate?
    I honestly don't think so.
    Nope. My relationship with BlackBerry or RIM whatsoever is done. They don't get it. I am going to become a pure user with no enthusiasm about any smartphones.
    Thank you, BlackBerry, for the fact that you actually cure my unknown disease.

Posted via CB10
    Cool story bro, bye
    11-23-16 08:29 AM
    Hmm which bundle to get? Shop BlackBerry or crackberry dtek60

Posted via CB10
    11-23-16 09:52 PM
    Hmm which bundle to get? Shop BlackBerry or crackberry dtek60
    Depends on which case you want and whether you want an external battery charger or not...
    11-25-16 03:38 PM
    Depends on which case you want and whether you want an external battery charger or not...
    they stopped including the battery a while ago. I couldn't wait for a deal anymore and missed the 50 so I went to staples and bought 2 more lol
    cbvinh likes this.
    11-25-16 03:47 PM
    they stopped including the battery a while ago. I couldn't wait for a deal anymore and missed the 50 so I went to staples and bought 2 more lol
    Hah, nice!
    11-25-16 04:21 PM
    Can't find any phone suppliers in UK selling Dtek60 let alone offering on contract went to Vodafone and told BlackBerry only for business now and not available to general public

Posted via CB10
    Then what option do we have? Amazon and BB's official site?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-16 04:39 PM
    Then what option do we have? Amazon and BB's official site?
    In the U.S., shopblackberry, Amazon and B&HPhotoVideo... and that's only for GSM compatible carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile USA. Verizon and Sprint customers won't be able to use the DTEK's at all.
    11-25-16 05:59 PM
    BB10 is an awesome OS. The problem is people's expectations for their phones. All these apps they want on their phone. Want to play games? Get a tablet or a computer. BlackBerry should have been trumpeting the BB10 security vs other phones. I like the Android integration. But I could have lived without it.
    They did trumpet their security. And clearly that's why it failed. The average consumer does not care about security or else they wouldn't own a smartphone. Consumers want apps. And for good reason. After switching to Android I honestly don't know how I put up with BB10. Apps don't always means games.
    11-28-16 01:06 AM
98 ... 234