It was a completely different market back then. The enterprise/government started their business before smartphones were in the hands of the general public and they didn't face any real competition. Fast forward to today, and although their software business now reflects today's realities, their hardware business is still stuck in the mentality that gov/bis is going to buy enough devices to make them a success. So, no... the hw business hasn't clued in yet into Boyd. Had they, they'd know they need to go after the average Joe (consumer market) and advertise, approach carriers, Make their device competitive, etc.

Anyhow, this has been discussed to death... BlackBerry (Chen/hw business) still doesn't get why they've lost and continue to lose market share and why more and more of their employees are being asked to look into other lines of work... or collect their monthly unemployment checks.

Posted via CB10
    Spot on.

Some people are as dense as chen... and will never "get it" ... they would rather wallow in failure amid a constant blathering of excuses about how BlackBerry's current mess had nothing to do with making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again.
    11-18-16 01:27 PM
    You must have missed the part where they tried to introduce BB10...

It has been discussed to death and in general, people say, "oh, they /should/ have done X in 2007 or before..." Pointless discussions... Given today's realities, what can they do? Advertise? Wasted money because carriers aren't carrying the phones. Build better carrier relationships? They don't have enough money to incentivize carrier reps over Apple or Samsung. Get BB10 up and running again? Lack of apps is still a problem. Sell phones cheaper? And lose money per sale? etc....
    I didn't miss their original release. When they weren't succeeding instead of sticking to it for a while and really working harder at getting the exposure, they threw in the towel. There is nothing they can do about bb10, it's too late to save. But they can make the Droid business a success if they stop counting on gov/bis and go after consumer market.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 06:01 PM
    Many on this thread seem out of step with he Android scene. For mainstream sales you need advertising, for enthusiasts you need Android N (a date for a beta at the very least) and the phone needs a USP. The Dtek 60 seems good but it's not a Pixel, isn't as nice as a S7/S7 Edge, isn't as high spec as One Plus 3T (screen res aside), not as good audio as Axon 7 etc etc etc.

It's not enough to be a good device with solid security updates. That's not enough. Shame.
    That's because people are morons to be frank.

I guarantee you IF Alcatel released the same phone, people would be all over it - oh wait, they did! And it even had lower specs! They'd rather review that junk than a better version with better software.

Even though windows phone is basically abandoned - I think Michael fisher reviewed the same phone as the dtek60, windows 10 version. Only thing is they don't keep emphasizing that it's "just a copy of the idol 4s" - another example of idiocy that's BlackBerry's problem.

If any other maker, axon 7, samsung, anyone - made this phone with the software implementation and zero day patching - it would probably be the phone of the year.

It's not BlackBerry, it's the people at this point.

#whatisclassic
    zensen likes this.
    11-18-16 06:26 PM
    I didn't miss their original release. When they weren't succeeding instead of sticking to it for a while and really working harder at getting the exposure, they threw in the towel. There is nothing they can do about bb10, it's too late to save. But they can make the Droid business a success if they stop counting on gov/bis and go after consumer market.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!!
    11-18-16 06:46 PM
    I thought the Priv keyboard was too small as well, but I got Priv for free on my Bell plan and it is awesome. I came from a Passport and wife has a classic, it was a learning curve for Android but Priv is fantastic... I have big hands and am getting good on VKB, and PKB is getting good too
    11-18-16 07:47 PM
    Spot on.

Some people are as dense as chen... and will never "get it" ... they would rather wallow in failure amid a constant blathering of excuses about how BlackBerry's current mess had nothing to do with making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again.
    Unfortunately, change is difficult. Wining about things not working but continuing with status quo is easy.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 09:51 PM
    I thought the Priv keyboard was too small as well, but I got Priv for free on my Bell plan and it is awesome. I came from a Passport and wife has a classic, it was a learning curve for Android but Priv is fantastic... I have big hands and am getting good on VKB, and PKB is getting good too
    I'm not surprised you found Priv keyboard small coming from passport. I tried out a passport last week when my coworker brought one over to gloat. I thought it was way to wide/big for me compared to my wives classic. After getting used to a keyboard that size any other BlackBerry keyboard would seem small...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Manesik; 11-19-16 at 12:28 AM.
    11-18-16 09:58 PM
    Getting back on topic... anyone know of any retailer in canada that has or will have the dtek60? I would really like to see and get to handle one before considering jumping in. I'm not quite sure about the back cover on it, I rather like my super non slippery z30.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 10:02 PM
    After getting used to something that size anything would seem small :-)

Posted via CB10
    TWSS... OK sorry, back to maturity...
    11-18-16 10:42 PM
    Why would I support the DTEK 60 movement? It's just a spyware delivery platform.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    11-18-16 10:52 PM
    TWSS... OK sorry, back to maturity...
    Really? We're talking keyboards here... anyways... I went back and fixed that comment just in case maturity wonders off again.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-16 12:34 AM
    But they can make the Droid business a success if they stop counting on gov/bis and go after consumer market.
    Okay, and how would they achieve that? The apps situation is fine because of Android. Should they advertise more? And when people hear about it, where do they go to try it? Carriers aren't interested, because they've carried BlackBerry before without enough sales. How would BlackBerry match the incentives Samsung and Apple are giving to carrier reps? How much money should be committed and what is considered successful during this time when money is being spent?
    11-19-16 03:00 AM
    Okay, and how would they achieve that? The apps situation is fine because of Android. Should they advertise more? And when people hear about it, where do they go to try it? Carriers aren't interested, because they've carried BlackBerry before without enough sales. How would BlackBerry match the incentives Samsung and Apple are giving to carrier reps? How much money should be committed and what is considered successful during this time when money is being spent?
    The primary reason carriers are not interested is because of chen's bull headed anti-carrier attitude...and his penchant for throwing temper tantrums.

Plenty of evidence shows it doesn't take just an Apple or Samsung to attract carrier interest (Blu, ZTE... even the Alcatel Idol S4 on Tmo now).
    11-19-16 05:00 AM
    The primary reason carriers are not interested is because of chen's bull headed anti-carrier attitude...and his penchant for throwing temper tantrums.
    Do you have proof of this?

Plenty of evidence shows it doesn't take just an Apple or Samsung to attract carrier interest (Blu, ZTE... even the Alcatel Idol S4 on Tmo now).
    Blu, ZTE and Alcatel don't advertise, so all the talk about advertising as the magic bullet for BlackBerry is bogus? Be just like these companies and make cheap phones and BlackBerry is good to go? That's what BlackBerry fans want? No more flagships, just cheap devices with the BlackBerry logo? It's about as good as shutting down hardware.
    11-19-16 03:16 PM
    This phone is arguably BlackBerry best flagship in years if ever. If you're are a BlackBerry fan, wants to see them continue making high end hardware or partnering with companies like TCL to make high end hardware...support this phone, BUY this phone!

Send Blackberry management this message....

KEEP MAKING PHONES LIKE THE DTEK60!
    But I have a PRIV and love it.
    Does that still count?
    11-19-16 03:46 PM
    Do you have proof of this?

Blu, ZTE and Alcatel don't advertise, so all the talk about advertising as the magic bullet for BlackBerry is bogus? Be just like these companies and make cheap phones and BlackBerry is good to go? That's what BlackBerry fans want? No more flagships, just cheap devices with the BlackBerry logo? It's about as good as shutting down hardware.
    You either make a cheap phone that will basically sell itself due to its cheap price, or you make a flagship and you work your *** off to make it attractive to buyers. In both cases you have to ensure you have distribution channels, but in the latter case you also have to advertise the product and release at the right time of the year. If you're not established in the market, you have to go the extra mile. Educate the front desk staff at your distributors, pay extra to have your product out front, TV, radio, net, paper. You have to make sure people know about it, talk about it, want it... pull out the cool factor... have some contests... offer free hardware as prizes... get the phones into people's hands.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Manesik; 11-19-16 at 05:52 PM.
    11-19-16 05:31 PM
    If BlackBerry wants to skip the carriers, they really need to do something about their reach into markets.

For me, having it on a carrier means I'll at least be guaranteed some sort of support whether that's software or hardware but at the moment it's pretty much abandoned here and no (local) online BlackBerry store means its much harder to get your hands on one and and any sort of promotion is non existent.

It looks like a great phone and I love that the BlackBerry Hub lives on in some form (and all signs point to constant software improvement)

The situation for me is that my next smartphone will not be a BlackBerry (hardware or software ) and that's the unfortunate reality.

I like the dtek60 but without international warranty or a local distributor (local warranty) I can't jump on this; Support goes both ways

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zensen; 11-19-16 at 06:30 PM.
    11-19-16 06:19 PM
    You either make a cheap phone that will basically sell itself due to its cheap price, or you make a flagship and you work your *** off to make it attractive to buyers. In both cases you have to ensure you have distribution channels, but in the latter case you also have to advertise the product and release at the right time of the year. If you're not established in the market, you have to go the extra mile. Educate the front desk staff at your distributors, pay extra to have your product out front, TV, radio, net, paper. You have to make sure people know about it, talk about it, want it... pull out the cool factor... have some contests... offer free hardware as prizes... get the phones into people's hands.
    And who's going to bankroll this?
    11-19-16 06:47 PM
    And who's going to bankroll this?
    It's a calculated cost of business... if there is no money to invest in making a product a success... then one shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't work out. Things don't usually sell themselves, the company has to invest. So, who's do you think should have bankrolled it?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-16 10:34 PM
    This phone is arguably BlackBerry best flagship in years if ever. If you're are a BlackBerry fan, wants to see them continue making high end hardware or partnering with companies like TCL to make high end hardware...support this phone, BUY this phone!

Send Blackberry management this message....

KEEP MAKING PHONES LIKE THE DTEK60!
    All of us need to contribute by strongly suggest to our friends and family to buy the dtek60. Convince them and support Blackberry. Its not hard now with the dtek60.

Only then maybe Blackberry has a chance.
    Randal Yandal and fanBBRY like this.
    11-20-16 01:31 PM
    Can't find any phone suppliers in UK selling Dtek60 let alone offering on contract went to Vodafone and told BlackBerry only for business now and not available to general public

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by cjmooresmailman; 11-21-16 at 02:52 PM.
    11-20-16 04:07 PM
    Can't find any phone suppliers in UK selling Dtek60 let alone offering on contact went to Vodafone and told BlackBerry only for business now and not available to general public

Posted via CB10
    https://m.clove.co.uk/dtek60-by-blackberry

Posted via CB10
    11-20-16 05:49 PM
    It's a calculated cost of business... if there is no money to invest in making a product a success... then one shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't work out. Things don't usually sell themselves, the company has to invest. So, who's do you think should have bankrolled it?
    Yeah, there is no money to invest. There was a write-off of almost $1 billion in inventory when the PlayBooks, Z10's and Q10's didn't sell well enough. That led them to evaluate their financial situation and because of the size of BlackBerry at the time, they were bleeding money pretty quick. The Board went into panic mode and put the company up for sale. When the company didn't get many offers, they switched out CEO's and went with the software plan. However, the new CEO had an affinity for BlackBerry hardware and kept it going for longer than the deadline he had set himself for pulling the hardware plug. After many quarters of declining hardware sales, the hardware plug was pulled. Maybe they finally have the "winning formula", but they don't have the finances to take that risk now. Just look at the "loyal" BlackBerry fan crowd, divided on whether BlackBerry Android is worth buying because it's not BB10. The only way BlackBerry will garner success is if they could attract other Android users, who pretty much have a ton of options, either cheaper and/or better spec'ed. Security as a differentiating feature isn't enough for the general Android crowd and that, I'm sure, BlackBerry has realized.
    11-20-16 09:39 PM
    I really would get this phone if any other carrier other than Telstra decides to offer it!

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 12:00 AM
    Now rocking a DTEK50, and waiting for the right price drop for either DTEK60 or PRIV. I hope to get the PRIV for 299 because of the PKB. But also still waiting for the Mercury.
    11-21-16 12:46 AM
98 1234