I am still trying to get used to my DTEK60 after moving over from a Z10 (I miss BB10). I have found many downsides to this device (as compared to the Z10 and BB10). To be fare, there are some nice things also.

My latest issue is getting the notification "storage space is running out". I had moved all of my SD card contents over to an external storage then formatted the card as internal storage. Once done I choose to migrate to the SD. All went good. Next I transferred my files back to the device. Again all went ok, but then I got this notice. It indicated to clear messages in messenger so I did, cleared all conversations, but the notice it still there. To top it off, my BBM icon disappeared. .

In the device settings, under storage & usb, I noticed the internal memory was showing 22GB used of 32GB?!? The SD had very little used. It looks like when I transferred my files they went to the internal memory, not the SD card. When I open the internal memory it only shows Apps, Cached data, and System Storage. The combined total of all three is less than 15GB. What?!

I connected my phone to my laptop and moved all of my files off the phone (so slow since the phone is USB 2 and now that the SD will only work in the phone, I cannot remove it and plug it straight into my laptop).

What happened? I have uninstalled apps and removed all of my files, but this issue still exist. Now what?
    01-21-17 07:22 AM
    Try to reboot your device or Restore your device to previous.
    01-21-17 07:47 AM
    Ye welcome to the wonderful buggy world of android

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 07:59 AM
    Making progress.

First, Android sucks just as much as it did six years ago when I first tried running with it. Next, had already tried reboots.

Ended up uninstalling every app I could. It gained me about 1GB on the internal, enough to remove the notice, but still showed a high usage on the internal memory. Found a facebook cache file on the SD card (NOTE: ON THE SD CARD, not the internal memory). Was ready to reformat the SD card and change it back to portable. Decided to delete the facebook cache file. BAM!! Once the fb cache was deleted, my internal memory dropped to show just over 12GB used.

Left the SD as is and reinstalled my apps, except FB. All is good now. Added BBM icon back to home page. Next, reinstall FB and see what happens.

It's like the migration worked but the storage management system had a confused pointer, it stated the fb cache was still on the internal memory, but it was not. Possible it was doing the same thing with other apps.
    01-21-17 08:13 AM
    You made the right choice. Remember that when you migrate or merge the SD to the internal memory you can slow the phone down cause it will run only as fast as the lowest speed memory. The SD is now way as fast as the internal that came with your phone. Therefore it's best to get a phone with enough internal and run the SD as portable. Best way.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 10:05 AM
    I'm fairly certain the internal IS an ssd which is likely the same in speed as the external

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-21-17 06:05 PM
    I'm fairly certain the internal IS an ssd which is likely the same in speed as the external

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Nope
    01-21-17 11:06 PM
    Vast majority of those 'in knowing' seem to recommend against making SD card part if DTEK60's internal memory.

My non-expert advice to all complaining about too small storage space on their phones:

1. Make a list of all apps installed and all larger files stored. Categorise the list into buckets - it's your choice how you do it. Then, prioritise your buckets, look at the items sitting at the bottom of your priority list, and honestly answer this question "Do I really need all this stuff on my phone?"

2. If the answer is 'No', you would know what to do to solve your 'storage too small' problem. No need to read further.

3. If the answer is 'Yes', stay honest with yourself, and elevate 'Internal Storage size' to the #1 position as your device choice criteria. And buy a phone that meets that need of yours.
    01-22-17 12:25 AM

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Highly doubt that

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 07:57 AM
    Lol. If the internal memory isn't ssd in these... what do you think it is? A spinning hard drive? Heck no. It's ssd. And likely, has absolutely zero speed differences between the external ssd we can insert.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-22-17 08:12 AM
    Lol. If the internal memory isn't ssd in these... what do you think it is? A spinning hard drive? Heck no. It's ssd. And likely, has absolutely zero speed differences between the external ssd we can insert.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    If what you are saying is true why are the SD card manufactures starting to make an extra fast SD card class designed to be used for internal memory? Search it.
    01-22-17 08:40 AM
    So it seems BlackBerry (and most cellphones...) use emmc for internal storage. Read this thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thre...c-uhs-1.61737/

It explains how much faster the internal emmc storage can be over an SD card storage.
    So in turn, it does seem that the average built in storage (emmc) can be quite faster than SD. This is very interesting and good information to know. Thank you for the clarity guys.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    00stryder and LoveMyLBZ like this.
    01-22-17 11:43 AM
    So it seems BlackBerry (and most cellphones...) use emmc for internal storage. Read this thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thre...c-uhs-1.61737/

It explains how much faster the internal emmc storage can be over an SD card storage.
    So in turn, it does seem that the average built in storage (emmc) can be quite faster than SD. This is very interesting and good information to know. Thank you for the clarity guys.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Well researched.
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    01-22-17 03:53 PM
    When using my BlackBerry Z10, I had just as many apps installed and running and that only had 16GB internal storage of which only about 12GB was available for app use. However, BB10 allowed for install of apps to the SD card, no special formating required and not required to map it as an extension to the internal memory. With the DTEK60 it seems the apps require more space? Crappy, low quality of programming? Seems to be the same problem that occurred when the cost per byte storage dropped, and memory and processors increased in speed: programmers became lazy and stopped optimizing the size and execution time of their programs. I see a similar pattern with Android (as compared to QNX).

My SD card is the same I used my Z10, class 10 (U1). Here is what I found:

1. Formatted card as internal storage.
    2. Copy data back to device BEFORE reboot. This put the data on the fixed internal storage.
    3. Reboot after low storage error.
    4. Hit migrate again, from the internal storage. This caused the phone to try to migrate data back from the SD to internal storage. Since the internal storage was full, it could not complete.
    5. No option to cancel migration. The migration option is not clear at all. Must be some clear process steps posted someplace, but could not find.
    6. Transferred data off phone to external drive. No effect on phone. This is confusing. Moved nearly 15GB off the phone, but it showed no change in usage. Migrate back to internal would not work.
    7. Began deleting data related to apps that are now uninstalled. No change until I deleted the facebook cached on the SD card.
    8. Re-checked data on internal storage to ensure I did not remove something that was required.
    9. Somewhere along the way ended up removing the BBM, WhatsApp, and BB Virtual Expert icons from the user screens. Just had to copy back over from main apps list.
    10. Rebooted again.
    11. Opened SD storage from settings and selected migrate. Left phone alone for a few minutes, then rebooted.
    12. Connected to PC and now only the SD card shows, but it now has system and app related data on it.

Note SD card is 64GB. System now reports total of 90GB with only 4.19GB of internal used.

I liked the approach on BB10 much better. User could chose to encrypt the card, without having to remove data first. Decrypt the card, without having to remove the data. Choose to install apps (those that supported it) to the SD, without having to reformat and mount as an extension to the internal. Why does Android make it so difficult?

Anyways, hope my lesson learned helps others. For clarity, here are the steps I recommend if you are going to do this:
    1. Ensure you have moved or copied any data you wish to keep from the SD card.
    2. Open Settings and navigate to Storage & USB
    3. Open SD Card.
    4. In the top right corner, tap the three dots.
    5. Select to format the card as internal storage.
    6. Once the format it done, select the three dots again and select migrate.
    7. Once the migrate is done, reboot the phone.
    8. Plug into a computer and check that it only shows SD for storage.
    9. Done

Note: Once the migration is done, the option will no longer show when in the SD card HOWEVER, if you go into the Internal Storage and select the three dots, you will see it there. DO NOT SELECT IT!! There is no caution, warning, "are you sure" confirmation; it will just start to migrate from the SD card to internal storage. If you want to move from the SD card back to internal, first remove all non-app related files from the SD card. Makesure the total storage used on the SD is 2GB-4GB less than what is free on the internal, then hit the migrate. Why would you do this? You find apps run to slow, you want to upgrade the SD to a faster one, you want to upgrade the SD to a larger one, you want to dump the phone and keep the SD, etc.

Did I mention how I miss the smoothness of BB10?
    01-23-17 07:19 AM
    However, BB10 allowed for install of apps to the SD card, no special formating required and not required to map it as an extension to the internal memory.
    Why don't I remember this? I thought BlackBerry 10 didn't support installing apps on SD card. How do you do it?
    Johnny Dollar likes this.
    01-23-17 09:11 AM
    When did BB10 ever allow the installation of apps on a SD card? I'm curious to learn this myself.
    01-23-17 09:26 AM
    Why don't I remember this? I thought BlackBerry 10 didn't support installing apps on SD card. How do you do it?
    App had to support it. There were plenty of apps that supported installation to the SD card on BB10. It was the only way I survived only having 16GB of internal storage on the Z10.
    01-23-17 02:39 PM
    App had to support it. There were plenty of apps that supported installation to the SD card on BB10. It was the only way I survived only having 16GB of internal storage on the Z10.
    For example?
    Are you sure you aren't thinking about apps that let you store certain content on the SD card?
    01-23-17 02:54 PM
    For example?
    Are you sure you aren't thinking about apps that let you store certain content on the SD card?
    Sorry, yes, my bad . Apps like those from Mireo would allow you to 'install' to the SD card. It still puts the executable on the internal storage, but most of the reference data and all mapping files are then stored on the SD card. I'd have to start my Z10 back up to look at the apps, but there were some games that did the same thing and a few android apps.
    01-23-17 06:47 PM