So, word is already spreading about plans to do a bit of remodeling here at CrackBerry. (Did you know that Mayberry used to be just down the way?)
    Anyway, rumor has it this will become Crackberry... the retirement community.
    Some things to look forward to: You can expect to be moved to another unit every six weeks or so, so no one will get tired of the same place. And you can expect every new place you get switched to will have something you don't like about it, So, for those complainers that were worried if there'd be a place for them, worry no more... and that means most of the entertainment we've become so fond of will continue..
    More to come as things develope and Bla1ze writes 'em up.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-22-16 05:55 AM
    well, TCL based on its inheritance from Lucent and Acatel, it should be able to do better than it is now if key personnel (designer and Material Process engineer of hardware) are still call the shot (or get them come out of cottages, trade the fishing rod to the CAD dwg again). BB droid software side would need knight of Shining Armour hardware to attract attention Let's hope the inhouse Mercury out shining the dtek and make some difference. Personally, I still hope BBOS find the footing in AR overlay that required secure compression transfer of data with BIS BB encryption, left the background, such as map, locational image intensive via encrypted normal transmission, either BB10 (preferred) or droid - since it is dynamic overlay schematics, low data transmission rate or a bit lower speed - due to compression, might work..., if that hybrid system can work, SAF may flow again...day dream again (glory good old days - retirement in sight;-).
    12-22-16 07:49 AM
    BlackBerry must surely go down as a prime example on how to kill a market leading brand.

I'm tempted to get a DTEK device but I'm in no hurry after the years of failed efforts from BlackBerry.

If TCL can get enough exposure for BlackBerry's Android OS, BlackBerry support their Android OS and other companies start giving the BlackBerry OS a try I might consider giving a BlackBerry branded device a try again.

I'm still waiting for the BlackBerry suite for iOS, my second choice OS after BB10. I hate BlackBerry for messing the best mobile OS. RIP BB10
    12-22-16 08:51 AM
    I'm simply saying that carrier support isn't the whole story.
    Absolutely. One cannot discount the tarnished brand name. Sales were imploding before the carriers dumped BlackBerry. By "zero" sales I meant that AT&T and Verizon pretty much pulled the stopper out of a leaky tub.
    12-22-16 09:35 AM
    So, word is already spreading about plans to do a bit of remodeling here at CrackBerry. (Did you know that Mayberry used to be just down the way?)
    Some things to look forward to: You can expect to be moved to another unit every six weeks or so, so no one will get tired of the same place. And you can expect every new place you get switched to will have something you don't like about it, So, for those complainers that were worried if there'd be a place for them, worry no more... and that means most of the entertainment we've become so fond of will continue..
    Please move the Android device forums to Android Central, please move the Android device forums to Android Central, please move the Android device forums to Android Central...
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    12-22-16 10:24 AM
    I'm on it right after I see my doctor for my B12 shot and visit my chiropractor to realign my back again and give me a new prescription for my arthritis pills.
    12-22-16 02:45 PM
    They're not worth it for a company like BlackBerry, but for someone like TCL, they're still very much worth it as they have the power of volume purchasing and lower production costs. Think about how the DTEK60 was produced, do you REALLY think it cost TCL that much more to add a different back with a BlackBerry logo on it to their already existing production lines and load up different firmware on the device from their own? Hardly.
    The DTEK50, was priced much higher than it's Idol 4 counterpart. But the DTEK60 was price in line with where TCL 950 was priced, think at that point Chen was already in clear it out mode.... But price alone hasn't been the problem...hard to sell an item that is hard to find or even know that it exists.

TCL might have a better chance of approaching Carrier's in western markets and making some kind of deal with them ... other wise I really doubt there is much they'll be able to do here. None of these Chinese brands have made much of a dent in the market here... and none have much lasting power.. Now in some less developed markets... a known western brand stuck on a $150 phone might give it an edge (if they get rid of the restrictive software).

I too have to wonder what TCL will do with BlackBerry and Palms brands.... in the TV market TCL has had just as much (or more) success using their own name, than trying to hide behind the RCA and Thomson brands they now use.
    12-22-16 03:07 PM
    well, TCL based on its inheritance from Lucent and Acatel, it should be able to do better than it is now if key personnel (designer and Material Process engineer of hardware) are still call the shot (or get them come out of cottages, trade the fishing rod to the CAD dwg again). BB droid software side would need knight of Shining Armour hardware to attract attention Let's hope the inhouse Mercury out shining the dtek and make some difference. Personally, I still hope BBOS find the footing in AR overlay that required secure compression transfer of data with BIS BB encryption, left the background, such as map, locational image intensive via encrypted normal transmission, either BB10 (preferred) or droid - since it is dynamic overlay schematics, low data transmission rate or a bit lower speed - due to compression, might work..., if that hybrid system can work, SAF may flow again...day dream again (glory good old days - retirement in sight;-).
    Sorry... but that's all over with. BlackBerry is now a software company, but there is no money in mobile Operating Systems at this point. BBOS and BB10 are done... now maybe QNX can salvage some of BB10 in what they are doing. But BlackBerry isn't going to chase dreams trying to revive either of those.

As for TCL... they have three choices (IMHO),

1) Come out with a line of device (PKB & VKB) and spend millions on marketing them to consumers and making deals with Carriers to offer them.
    2) Go the OnePlus route and try to really wow the BlackBerry fans of now and the past with a high end but low cost powerhouse that is sold via direct sales..
    3) Use what's left of the BlackBerry brand to sell mid and low end phones in the few markets that are still not fully developed.

I wonder which one would be the less risky and more logical one based on the number of DTEK units BlackBerry has sold?
    stlabrat and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    12-22-16 04:01 PM
    They're not worth it for a company like BlackBerry, but for someone like TCL, they're still very much worth it as they have the power of volume purchasing and lower production costs. Think about how the DTEK60 was produced, do you REALLY think it cost TCL that much more to add a different back with a BlackBerry logo on it to their already existing production lines and load up different firmware on the device from their own? Hardly.

And while I can understand the Palm correlation, it's not really even the same ballpark. When they purchased Palm, it was already pilfered by HP anyway. They bought a trademark name, nothing more. With BlackBerry, they have a genuine partnership with brand and software licensing. It's a working agreement, not just a trademark purchase.

As painful as it may be, BlackBerry, as it was once known is now gone. You either find solace in knowing the company you were a fan of lives on in a very different way but still lives on or you end up bitter about it and hang onto 'the way things used to be'. At least with BlackBerry living on, there's still a chance they could return to hardware in the capacity they once held. Slim chance, but crazier things have happened. Apple was once 90 days away from going bankrupt.
    Well said!
    12-22-16 07:06 PM
    BlackBerry must surely go down as a prime example on how to kill a market leading brand.

I'm tempted to get a DTEK device but I'm in no hurry after the years of failed efforts from BlackBerry.

If TCL can get enough exposure for BlackBerry's Android OS, BlackBerry support their Android OS and other companies start giving the BlackBerry OS a try I might consider giving a BlackBerry branded device a try again.

I'm still waiting for the BlackBerry suite for iOS, my second choice OS after BB10. I hate BlackBerry for messing the best mobile OS. RIP BB10
    Just to clarify things, BlackBerry did not develop the Android OS. So it's not theirs. BlackBerry wrapped some security features in it and throw some apps of their own. And why would other companies try the BBOS when BlackBerry itself have abandoned development of their own OS?

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
    12-22-16 07:41 PM
    I can't imagine dtek60 sold much but I was hoping for eventual carrier sales. I stopped by the Costco phone booth a couple of days ago to ask if they knew anything about possibility of it showing up (soon). The sales guy said they've heard nothing and gave me a glimpse at his dtek60 that he bought from BlackBerry recently. I guess he didn't believe it was going to show...

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 08:33 PM
    Please move the Android device forums to Android Central, please move the Android device forums to Android Central, please move the Android device forums to Android Central...
    I'm on it right after I see my doctor for my B12 shot and visit my chiropractor to realign my back again and give me a new prescription for my arthritis pills.
    Toni,
    I woke up and immediately sat up and watched kinda dream-like as the blur all around me started to clear and the echo of words became intelligible. It wasn't exactly "move the Android device forums to Android Central," but as sure as I'm the only sane person on the planet, I was thinking something to the effect of: "OMG- WHAT IF THEY MOVE US TO ANDROID CENTRAL" and I went into a state of shock and I felt a wave of insanity take me so far from what I knew or could have ever imagined but somehow my Berry Berry Virtual Cracked Machine got me here and what I discovered was even more unsettling , so much so that I still haven't wrapped the whole thing around my head yet, but I'll just say (and remember I was in a major state of insanity) that for the first time everything here seemed for the most part to be "fine."
    And then it all made perfect sense. It's no wonder I've felt like I've been living in the Twilight Zone for all these years. You're all loop-dee-loop...... Whoop-Dee-Doo.....La-dee-da insane!!!!!
    Now, I understand why everyone has been in denial about me being the only sane person on the planet. But it appears that you all handle it very well because, well... you're already insane. I mean, there's really nowhere else to go from here. And that would also explain all the arguing that goes on. Android sends their Bots here to antagonize us and to try to get us banned, but we keep up a good fight.
    But, that's not why I'm writing this.
    What "IF" we're moved over to... to... well, ya know: OVER THERE??? It would be like Dudley Do-Right (them) against Snidely Whiplash (Us) And let me just say that Snidely has been given a bad rap all these years. He�s a cool dude who just wants to have a little fun.
    Do-Right just wants a little Nell. She�s way out of his league. I mean, anyone else would have arrested her long ago and we would have been spared all those cliffhangers.
    Have you seen Android Central? Have you been to Android Central? I think you have to follow some kind of dress code.
    My point is� we�d destroy the place. Not on purpose, but look around! We�re more casual here. We like the intellect behind BB10. They like to play games. We stand behind BlackBerry because of what they stand for. The other guys like to play games. We�re cracked. They like to play games.
    And ya know what? We don�t need no stinkin� rest home. We could use a little upgrade but I think something like The Projects at CrackBerry sounds more like a place we�d feel like ourselves in.
    Bla1ze will keep us up to date. At least, I hope so. Ya see his �Doctor� (so to speak) has a place in the islands. The last time he went, we didn�t here from him for months. Then suddenly he�s back as Editor-In-Chief. No foul play there. (and I�ve got a bridge for sale).
    I�ve been cautioning you guys for a long time about what to expect next. As suddenly as the mobile device appeared out of nowhere, it will disappear into oblivion and be replaced by �The Micro-Chip Digital Implant.�
    And if you don�t believe me go doodle it for yourselves.
    If it passes all the requirements, then sometime around mid-June 2017, Donny and the Trump Reality Show plan to implant all new-born babies with a chip. But, you guys (generally speaking) have been so busy discussing what color the next device should be, you�re probably a bit behind on current events.
    Well, it�s almost lock up time. If anyone has anything they�d like to share, feel free to PM Bla1ze.
    See you in the funny pages.
    falbo likes this.
    12-23-16 02:26 AM
    There is no way I'm going over to them I'm sticking with us, us, not them . Digital implants you say I only want one if it has a vkb and a rgb led and a BlackBerry logo on the surface.
    Posted via my blackatel 50. 🤖
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    12-23-16 03:43 AM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Dtek60 out of stock on Shop Crackberry for the last week.

Posted via CB10
    Not surprised it's a fantastic phone!

Posted via CB10
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    12-23-16 07:31 AM
    Toni,
    I woke up and immediately sat up and watched kinda ....

TL;DR version, please?
    12-23-16 07:33 AM
    (a)Just to clarify things, (b)BlackBerry did not develop the Android OS. So it's not theirs. (c)BlackBerry wrapped some security features in it and throw some apps of their own. (d)And why would other companies try the BBOS when BlackBerry itself have abandoned development of their own OS?

WTF?->Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
    (a) You should probably try some coffee to get some clarity of your own.

(b) BlackBerry certainly did develop the Android OS on its Priv and on the DTEK devices. It may not have invented it from scratch but they've made a version of the IS their own.

(c) You've just explained my comment in (b)

(d) BlackBerry have abandoned development its flavour of Android? I think not. Why might other hardware manufacturers use BlackBerry's Android OS? Well probably nobody will but if BlackBerry by some miracle continues to support it's security updates and its version of Android proves to be more secure or advantageous to some industries than other Android OS flavours then maybe it might develop a following. This I believe is highly unlikely so I'll probably stick to iOS without the BlackBerry Experience Suite and I'm happy with that.
    12-23-16 10:18 AM
    (b) BlackBerry certainly did develop the Android OS on its Priv and on the DTEK devices. It may not have invented it from scratch but they've made a version of the IS their own.
    Don't confuse Operating Systems with Applications. Google owns and develops the Android OS. BlackBerry owns and develops apps that run on Google's Android. BlackBerry's Android phones run the same version of Google Android OS version 6.01 as other brands do.
    12-23-16 10:41 AM
    The premise of the rant was We were think this at about the same time
    while you said "move the Android device forums to Android Central,
    I was thinking......OMG- WHAT IF THEY MOVE US TO ANDROID CENTRAL.

btw: I saw this on a billboard (True)You may want to follow up on it!
    Some thoughts on DTEK sales numbers-showletter4.jpg
    12-23-16 01:55 PM
    Don't confuse Operating Systems with Applications. Google owns and develops the Android OS. BlackBerry owns and develops apps that run on Google's Android. BlackBerry's Android phones run the same version of Google Android OS version 6.01 as other brands do.
    So, what you're saying is Blackberry owns Google but only the applications and not the confused OS's..... Ummm,
    OK. I think I've got it!!
    12-23-16 01:59 PM
    The premise of the rant was We were think this at about the same time
    while you said "move the Android device forums to Android Central,
    I was thinking......OMG- WHAT IF THEY MOVE US TO ANDROID CENTRAL.

btw: I saw this on a billboard (True)You may want to follow up on it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShowLetter4.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	414753
    Well... I do want them to. Tired of the incessant whining. Even Bla1ze is.

I mean, if these Android devices are like those proclaim as "not BlackBerry", I'd say make it so.
    12-23-16 02:29 PM
    So if I find the OS for a Priv/DTEK not to my liking I can just flash a clean ROM onto the phone without the BlackBerry apps?

Or I could flash the OS for the Priv or DTEK devices onto an S7 and enjoy the better hardware?

The second part is an honest question! If I could have a good spec handset, a huawei mate 9 with a clean Install of Android with BlackBerry apps, I would have pure win for me!
    Last edited by ryanza; 12-23-16 at 04:31 PM.
    12-23-16 04:21 PM
    So if I find the OS on a Priv/DTEK not to my liking I can just flash a clean ROM onto the phone without the BlackBerry apps?

Or I could flash the OS for the Priv or DTEK devices onto an S7 and enjoy the better hardware?
    And let's not confuse operating systems and apps with hardware and boot roms.
    12-23-16 04:28 PM
    And let's not confuse operating systems and apps with hardware and boot roms.
    Ok, I'm not trolling here, seriously, what software is BlackBerry on the Android devices? I've downloaded Android OS's from sites on the net for different devices, on the site I find the device and then the version of Android OS I want on the device then install the OS on the phone. What software am I downloading when I flash a device?

Iirc I used Odin but I can't remember the websites I got the OS from.
    12-23-16 04:35 PM
    Ok, I'm not trolling here, seriously, what software is BlackBerry on the Android devices? I've downloaded Android OS's from sites on the net for different devices, on the site I find the device and then the version of Android OS I want on the device then install the OS on the phone. What software am I downloading when I flash a device?

Iirc I used Odin but I can't remember the websites I got the OS from.
    OK, now I think I see where you are coming from. Maybe you haven't heard that BlackBerry doesn't make just another Android device, that BlackBerry's Android devices can't be rooted and you can't muck with the Boot ROM in order to install another OS. This is due to what BlackBerry refers to as their hardware-based Root of Trust.

Here's how BlackBerry describes their secure boot process: The secure boot process ensures that only a BlackBerry signed OS can be loaded and that the OS hasn’t been tampered with. Each stage of the secure boot process verifies that the next component hasn’t been tampered with before loading it.
    12-23-16 05:10 PM
    OK, now I think I see where you are coming from. Maybe you haven't heard that BlackBerry doesn't make just another Android device, that BlackBerry's Android devices can't be rooted and you can't muck with the Boot ROM in order to install another OS. This is due to what BlackBerry refers to as their hardware-based Root of Trust.

Here's how BlackBerry describes their secure boot process: The secure boot process ensures that only a BlackBerry signed OS can be loaded and that the OS hasn�t been tampered with. Each stage of the secure boot process verifies that the next component hasn�t been tampered with before loading it.
    Thanks, this raises more questions for me.

Does this protect the the device all the way up to app level or is there a point where a DTEK is as secure or as vulnerable as a comparable device running the same OS?

Ok, now if I were using the Alcatel Idol 4 and a DTEK50 side by side and both devices are browsing or being used in an identical manner, how would I know that the DTEK50 is different to the Idol 4? Does the DTEK50 actively monitor for threats it may encounter and protect the device accordingly?

Sorry if the question are dumb, I appreciate the helpful answers!
    12-23-16 05:48 PM
78 1234