OnePlus operates as a design-house and their parent company OPPO makes the phone thus they can operate on very low margins: less than $10 per device. In the beginning they didn't even make their own version of Android and just used Cyanogen OS, a commercial version of the popular custom rom CyanogenMOD.
    CyanogenMod was actually pretty good but OnePlus decided to make their own OS called oxygen OS. It's just skin over stock Android
    12-21-16 01:24 PM
    CyanogenMod was actually pretty good but OnePlus decided to make their own OS called oxygen OS. It's just skin over stock Android
    Chinese are unbeatable in any trade. Whether is cellphones or clothing or birdcages.

Is not fair to put them in any comparison. Just with their own internal market, even if some product have slow sales, the numbers are huge.

Posted via CB10 - Z30 STA100-5
    OnePlus operates as a design-house and their parent company OPPO makes the phone thus they can operate on very low margins: less than $10 per device. In the beginning they didn't even make their own version of Android and just used Cyanogen OS, a commercial version of the popular custom rom CyanogenMOD.
    Is it not a fair comparison to TCL/Alcatel?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-16 01:39 PM
    Well they were forced to make Oxygen OS as Cyanogen scrapped their exclusive agreement to seek greener pastures which ended up sinking that company anyway.
    12-21-16 01:41 PM
    Unless you're on Crackberry, you probably have never even heard of the DTEK phones.

Blackberry marketing has failed to create awareness or articulate a value proposition for their Hardware and hardened Android offerings.

I'm still bullish on BBRY. Still own a few thousand shares because I believe the software pivot will eventually work and we could see the stock at $35 within 5 years.
    12-21-16 01:43 PM
    Is it not a fair comparison to TCL/Alcatel?
    Yes it is now, in that Alcatel is a part of TCL and BB gave a license to their OS just like Cyanogen did to OnePlus.
    12-21-16 01:44 PM
    Dtek60 out of stock on Shop Crackberry for the last week.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-16 01:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Everyone is getting one for Christmas?
    Bigbacala likes this.
    12-21-16 01:46 PM
    Yes it is now, in that Alcatel is a part of TCL and BB gave a license to their OS just like Cyanogen did to OnePlus.
    Either way, the OnePlus sold orders of magnitude more then the DTEKs, and neither had carrier support in North America. I'm simply saying that carrier support isn't the whole story.
    Laura Knotek and stlabrat like this.
    12-21-16 01:49 PM
    Unless you're on Crackberry, you probably have never even heard of the DTEK phones.

Blackberry marketing has failed to create awareness or articulate a value proposition for their Hardware and hardened Android offerings.

I'm still bullish on BBRY. Still own a few thousand shares because I believe the software pivot will eventually work and we could see the stock at $35 within 5 years.
    $35! My goodness, that would be a much larger software company than we have today. I'm holding out for $10-12.

The ASP calculation from the OP might be a bit off, but I would guess DTEK sales are pretty modest.

Unfortunately BB won't tell us their unit sales. They won't tell us their licensing fees in the new arrangement. They won't tell us how much QNX actually makes. It's all blind faith now.
    12-21-16 01:50 PM
    Everyone is getting one for Christmas?
    Well I am!
    krazyatom and LoveMyLBZ like this.
    12-21-16 01:52 PM
    It's all blind faith now.
    Yeah, just like pets.com and WorldCom
    12-21-16 02:14 PM
    No detailed information how many smartphones were sold through (unlike previous quarters).
    However, user base is down to: 16 mio

from
    18 mio Q2FY17
    20 mio Q1FY17
    23 mio Q4FY16
    25 mio Q3FY16
    30 mio Q2FY16
    80 mio December 2012

http://uk.blackberry.com/content/dam...nformation.pdf
    12-21-16 02:54 PM
    No detailed information how many smartphones were sold through (unlike previous quarters).

from
    18 mio Q2FY17
    20 mio Q1FY17
    23 mio Q4FY16
    25 mio Q3FY16
    30 mio Q2FY16
    80 mio December 2012

And my guess is that less than half that number are used as primary devices. Many BB10 users have multiple devices, and many people who have moved on still keep their old BB10 phone(s) to play with. I still have 7 old BlackBerries still active.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-16 03:08 PM

from
    18 mio Q2FY17
    20 mio Q1FY17
    23 mio Q4FY16
    25 mio Q3FY16
    30 mio Q2FY16
    80 mio December 2012

the hardware is not doing that bad thanks for the SAF, (tell me if i am wrong). the software revenue 164M with op income of 40M. the overall mobility and SAF are 133M with op income of 52M. Depend upon how fast the SAF is going down, look like mobility made little money on the op income, but SAF still sizable. (not sure Hub+ subscription fee made any difference...). QNX per car is not big number, but if it is subscription either on security or control, hopefully generate more income - need something user want update once a while, not one shot deal... either security patch or on going AR overlay (too much memory if stored on board for the info... something need dynamic input and security to drive the subscription fee... BBOS is the server plus data compression that drive the subscription fee - still think it is well priced, particular, today's dollar)
    12-21-16 03:29 PM
    Either way, the OnePlus sold orders of magnitude more then the DTEKs, and neither had carrier support in North America. I'm simply saying that carrier support isn't the whole story.
    Thats certainly true, but even if BB decided to chase low margins the devices don't appeal to the Android enthusiast crowd so it wouldn't get the buzz even at the same price point as bang-for-the-buck device.
    12-21-16 03:46 PM
    What? Did they sell all 5 of them already?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-16 03:47 PM
    Thats certainly true, but even if BB decided to chase low margins the devices don't appeal to the Android enthusiast crowd so it wouldn't get the buzz even at the same price point as bang-for-the-buck device.
    At least it's someone else's problem now.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-21-16 03:57 PM
    BlackBerry already tried with android so let's go back to bb10!!!
    Yeah, let's return to billion dollar losses per quarter.
    12-21-16 04:07 PM
    But marketing is and BlackBerry has done little to no marketing on most devices.
    12-21-16 04:11 PM
    So buying more BlackBerry device doesn't support BlackBerry anymore?
    Buying a BlackBerry device sold by BlackBerry supports BlackBerry directly. Buying a BlackBerry through TCL or BB Merah Putih will support BlackBerry through their brand and software licensing agreements.
    12-21-16 04:14 PM
    But, they offer a phone which is $100 cheaper.

Still, for most of the companies, it's carriers where the big numbers are.

Posted via CB10 - Z30 STA100-5
    12-21-16 07:30 PM
    Simple. No carrier support means no sales.
    OnePlus begs to differ. They only recently started signing on some carriers.
    12-21-16 07:58 PM
    Dtek60 now back in stock at Shop Crackberry. Now not available in the bundle. Same price, no extra charger or leather case. Congratulations to those who ordered before they changed the package and get the extra goodies

Posted via CB10
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    12-21-16 08:27 PM
    This is like watching holiday re-runs!
    From the way I heard it Blackberry AND BB10 died 3 years ago.

All this "surprise" MUST be from the re-runs.
    12-22-16 12:23 AM
    They're not worth it for a company like BlackBerry, but for someone like TCL, they're still very much worth it as they have the power of volume purchasing and lower production costs. Think about how the DTEK60 was produced, do you REALLY think it cost TCL that much more to add a different back with a BlackBerry logo on it to their already existing production lines and load up different firmware on the device from their own? Hardly.

TCL is a bit of a two turkeys situations - they do have size but are on the slide - YOY their last volume figures show a 30% slide. I guess they are hopping the BBRY name (as long as they are paying a bottom dollar licensing fee) helps to slow or stop the decline.
    12-22-16 05:22 AM
78 1234