I just read the PDF earnings report.
    The Mobility Solutions revenue is only $62 million (40% fall from the previous quarter $105 million).
    If we consider the Average Selling Price of the previous quarter, which was ($291), that means BlackBerry has ONLY sold 213K units!
    In spite of the big sales season and promotions over the Passport and Priv, the number is very low. Furthermore, the DTEK50 had a complete availability exposure during the last quarter, and DTEK60 enjoyed 40 days after launch.

Why the hardware is falling in that rapid manner?!
    12-20-16 11:48 PM
    Why are you surprised by this? This IS why they are done with hardware at the core level. The company has more or less telling people 'hardware is not our thing anymore, stop caring about it' for months now and this earnings was FINALLY a breaking point where a lot of folks realized that, though, you seem to not be among the woke.
    12-20-16 11:56 PM
    Why are you surprised by this? This IS why they are done with hardware at the core level. The company has more or less telling people 'hardware is not our thing anymore, stop caring about it' for months now.
    I'm surprised because the fall was very painful. After the release of DTEK60, I at least expected a similar hardware revenue of the previous quarter.
    I don't know why TCL bothered signed a licensing agreement with BlackBerry when they see the sales numbers don't worth making BlackBerry branded phones.
    I hope TCL won't treat BlackBerry brand like how they did with Palm!
    12-21-16 12:03 AM
    I don't know why TCL bothered signed a licensing agreement with BlackBerry when they see the sales numbers don't worth making BlackBerry branded phones.
    They're not worth it for a company like BlackBerry, but for someone like TCL, they're still very much worth it as they have the power of volume purchasing and lower production costs. Think about how the DTEK60 was produced, do you REALLY think it cost TCL that much more to add a different back with a BlackBerry logo on it to their already existing production lines and load up different firmware on the device from their own? Hardly.

And while I can understand the Palm correlation, it's not really even the same ballpark. When they purchased Palm, it was already pilfered by HP anyway. They bought a trademark name, nothing more. With BlackBerry, they have a genuine partnership with brand and software licensing. It's a working agreement, not just a trademark purchase.

As painful as it may be, BlackBerry, as it was once known is now gone. You either find solace in knowing the company you were a fan of lives on in a very different way but still lives on or you end up bitter about it and hang onto 'the way things used to be'. At least with BlackBerry living on, there's still a chance they could return to hardware in the capacity they once held. Slim chance, but crazier things have happened. Apple was once 90 days away from going bankrupt.
    Uzi, aecgda, so crow and 15 others like this.
    12-21-16 12:10 AM
    I'm surprised because the fall was very painful. After the release of DTEK60, I at least expected a similar hardware revenue of the previous quarter.
    I hope TCL won't treat BlackBerry brand like how they did with Palm!
    This is a pivotal year for BlackBerry, and consumers will soon see how BlackBerry has become a game changer in this industry...again.
    12-21-16 12:12 AM
    I knew when there was no Verizon CDMA variant planned the expectations were very very low. Well I felt they were anyway.
    12-21-16 12:42 AM
    So the 50 didn't sell well, and the 60 barely had an impact on that quarter. The 60 is just now being recognized as the amazing phone it is. Yes, BlackBerry hardware isn't going to be want it was, but I bet you see better numbers next quarter.

Also, if you believe in the phone, keep touting it as the new hotness to your people's.
    BBANG likes this.
    12-21-16 01:58 AM
    not be among the woke?

Really? Is this even a thing? Lol

Blackberry Passport and Blue Classic
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-21-16 02:55 AM
    I dont buy it. I wnat to passport

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-21-16 03:01 AM
    I am not surprised for many reasons, no telephone companies carry the Dtek50 or 60, no passport, and most recently they pulled the plug on the Priv. I think only the Classic is being carried which if kind of funny because it has been discontinued. Telus must have bought a pile of them.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-16 09:52 AM
    They're not worth it for a company like BlackBerry, but for someone like TCL, they're still very much worth it as they have the power of volume purchasing and lower production costs. Think about how the DTEK60 was produced, do you REALLY think it cost TCL that much more to add a different back with a BlackBerry logo on it to their already existing production lines and load up different firmware on the device from their own? Hardly.

And while I can understand the Palm correlation, it's not really even the same ballpark. When they purchased Palm, it was already pilfered by HP anyway. They bought a trademark name, nothing more. With BlackBerry, they have a genuine partnership with brand and software licensing. It's a working agreement, not just a trademark purchase.

As painful as it may be, BlackBerry, as it was once known is now gone. You either find solace in knowing the company you were a fan of lives on in a very different way but still lives on or you end up bitter about it and hang onto 'the way things used to be'. At least with BlackBerry living on, there's still a chance they could return to hardware in the capacity they once held. Slim chance, but crazier things have happened. Apple was once 90 days away from going bankrupt.
    I want to add more but after this I can't. Nicely put.

Posted via CB10
    ryanza likes this.
    12-21-16 10:20 AM
    Is this revenue after TCL takes their cut?

Posted via CB10
    Xeak likes this.
    12-21-16 10:42 AM
    Simple. No carrier support means no sales.
    G_Unit MVP and LuvULongTime like this.
    12-21-16 10:49 AM
    I just read the PDF earnings report.
    The Mobility Solutions revenue is only $62 million (40% fall from the previous quarter $105 million).
    If we consider the Average Selling Price of the previous quarter, which was ($291), that means BlackBerry has ONLY sold 213K units!
    In spite of the big sales season and promotions over the Passport and Priv, the number is very low. Furthermore, the DTEK50 had a complete availability exposure during the last quarter, and DTEK60 enjoyed 40 days after launch.

I don't think you can use that ASP for the DTEK devices........so your estimate is likely low, vis-a-vis units sold.
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    12-21-16 11:25 AM
    Anyway, who cares? BlackBerry certainly doesn't.
    ryanza and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    12-21-16 11:26 AM
    Simple. No carrier support means no sales.
    Exactly!

The only way to reach the magic 7 digit number is selling through carriers.

Posted via CB10 - Z30 STA100-5
    12-21-16 11:29 AM
    Exactly!

The only way to reach the magic 7 digit number is selling through carriers.

Ask OnePlus about that.
    Laura Knotek and matthewkuhl like this.
    12-21-16 11:33 AM
    Ask OnePlus about that.
    I guess add "make their phones dirt cheap" to that...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-21-16 11:44 AM
    Sorry for that
    12-21-16 11:53 AM
    I don't think you can use that ASP for the DTEK devices........so your estimate is likely low, vis-a-vis units sold.
    This is the announced Average Selling Price of Q2, and not for the DTEK devices.
    If I use the same ASP, I will get 213K sold units, which is almost 50℅ down from the previous quarter.

How many DTEK units did the company sell (from 213K) among the hugely discounted Passport and Priv along the last quarter?!
    12-21-16 11:56 AM
    BlackBerry already tried with android so let's go back to bb10!!!
    JJonPB and David Tyler like this.
    12-21-16 12:42 PM
    Ask OnePlus about that.
    Chinese are unbeatable in any trade. Whether is cellphones or clothing or birdcages.

Is not fair to put them in any comparison. Just with their own internal market, even if some product have slow sales, the numbers are huge.

ryanza likes this.
    12-21-16 12:43 PM
    Can't wait to get mine this Christmas!! YAY!!

Posted via CB10
    LoveMyLBZ likes this.
    12-21-16 01:03 PM
    So buying more BlackBerry device doesn't support BlackBerry anymore?
    12-21-16 01:08 PM
    Ask OnePlus about that.
    OnePlus operates as a design-house and their parent company OPPO makes the phone thus they can operate on very low margins: less than $10 per device. In the beginning they didn't even make their own version of Android and just used Cyanogen OS, a commercial version of the popular custom rom CyanogenMOD.
    12-21-16 01:17 PM
78 123 ...