I currently am in Apple hell using the iPhone 6S which I can't stand and I was really hoping Blackberry would have released the Mercury before the DTEK60 since the DTEK50 was just released. But as it is, I'm looking to get rid of my iPhone ASAP and really wanted a pkb phone...BUT the specs that the Mercury is projected to have are not impressive.

Bottom Line: should I wait for the Mercury in hopes that the specs it actually releases with are better than the current rumors OR pick up the DTEK60 since it's available now with the specs I want?
    11-15-16 05:07 AM
    Priv is still a good option for PKV lovers.
    DTEK60 is the latest best.
    Both runs on Android.
    You decide what suits you.
    11-15-16 05:20 AM
    I currently am in Apple hell using the iPhone 6S which I can't stand and I was really hoping Blackberry would have released the Mercury before the DTEK60 since the DTEK50 was just released. But as it is, I'm looking to get rid of my iPhone ASAP and really wanted a pkb phone...BUT the specs that the Mercury is projected to have are not impressive.

Bottom Line: should I wait for the Mercury in hopes that the specs it actually releases with are better than the current rumors OR pick up the DTEK60 since it's available now with the specs I want?
    Totally depends on what your priority is.
    If the PKB is your priority, you definitely wait, if specs are, you get the DTEK60. Although as per the leaked specs, while it is mid range, but don't think it to be any slouch in terms of performance. Unless you do some extremely processor intensive tasks on your phone, the Mercury should serve you well.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    11-15-16 06:19 AM
    We don't know where the Mercury will slot in terms of specs.

It PROBABLY will spec out higher than the Priv, but perhaps not by much at all, and it's likely to price near *or above* the DTEK60. If it specs out near the DTEK60 but is mid-spec (by today's standards) it will probably outperform the Priv, but remember the Priv is cheaper.

If the Mercury is high-spec then it will definitely be more expensive than the DTEK60 and you're basically paying the extra coin for the PKB. I do not expect that to be the case but I could easily be wrong.
    11-15-16 10:17 AM

It PROBABLY will spec out higher than the Priv, but perhaps not by much at all, and it's likely to price near *or above* the DTEK60. If it specs out near the DTEK60 but is mid-spec (by today's standards) it will probably outperform the Priv, but remember the Priv is cheaper.

If the Mercury is high-spec then it will definitely be more expensive than the DTEK60 and you're basically paying the extra coin for the PKB. I do not expect that to be the case but I could easily be wrong.
    I would suspect the Mercury will be more expensive than the DTEK60 regardless of specs. That's the difference between a partner assembling a device from standard components versus a low yield custom production run.

The rumoured 625 puts it basically on par with the Priv, with better energy efficiency.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    11-15-16 10:24 AM
    Yeah if it's a 625 then I suspect you'll get roughly Priv-style performance and if they stick a bigger battery in it along with a somewhat lower-res screen then targeting 2-day endurance in "typical" use is entirely reasonable to expect they can achieve. But I would not be even slightly surprised if it prices at $599 US, which makes the $329 Privs now available from B&H or the factory direct ~$425 ones very attractive by comparison.
    11-15-16 10:56 AM
    Totally depends on what your priority is.
    If the PKB is your priority, you definitely wait, if specs are, you get the DTEK60. Although as per the leaked specs, while it is mid range, but don't think it to be any slouch in terms of performance. Unless you do some extremely processor intensive tasks on your phone, the Mercury should serve you well.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    That's exactly where I'm torn...What do I want more - higher end specs or a pkb? I tend to lean towards valuing higher end specs because I like to "future proof" as much as I can even though I know this phone is already out-spec'd.
    11-15-16 11:07 AM

In a perfect world, I hope to see the Mercury come out with higher end specs with the fingerprint sensor 🏻
    11-15-16 11:10 AM
    That's exactly where I'm torn...What do I want more - higher end specs or a pkb? I tend to lean towards valuing higher end specs because I like to "future proof" as much as I can even though I know this phone is already out-spec'd.
    When you say future proof what do you mean exactly?
    Both the phones will get all the app and software updates.
    In fact the mercury is supposed to launch with Android 7.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    11-15-16 11:12 AM
    There is no such thing as "future proof", at least in the United States.

Specifically, there are zero devices available that can operate on 600Mhz, and that spectrum will start to come online within roughly the next two years.
    11-15-16 11:28 AM
    In a perfect world, I hope to see the Mercury come out with higher end specs with the fingerprint sensor 🏻
    Likely to have a fingerprint sensor on the space bar.

The 625 would be the best balance between performance and battery life for the non-media, non-gamer clientele of this device.
    11-15-16 11:48 AM
    Yeah if it's a 625 then I suspect you'll get roughly Priv-style performance and if they stick a bigger battery in it along with a somewhat lower-res screen then targeting 2-day endurance in "typical" use is entirely reasonable to expect they can achieve. But I would not be even slightly surprised if it prices at $599 US, which makes the $329 Privs now available from B&H or the factory direct ~$425 ones very attractive by comparison.
    Yup. My guess is $549-$599.
    11-15-16 11:48 AM
    When you say future proof what do you mean exactly?
    Both the phones will get all the app and software updates.
    In fact the mercury is supposed to launch with Android 7.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    When I say future proof, I just mean it's got high enough specs to last a good two years or so and not be completely obsolete.
    11-15-16 07:01 PM
    When I say future proof, I just mean it's got high enough specs to last a good two years or so and not be completely obsolete.
    Again, that totally depends on your use.
    Unless you are going to use your phone for processor intensive tasks it gaming. Even the 625 will last you well. So I'd say don't worry about it

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    bbafdad likes this.
    11-15-16 07:31 PM

No guarantees on what the mercury specs will be like. I would assume it's going to be a mid range device considering the DTEK60 was just released as their flagship. However, returning to your question, it depends on how important a physical keyboard is to you. I will not be purchasing the dtek60 because I'm very happy with my priv and its keyboard.
    bbafdad likes this.
    11-15-16 08:32 PM
    That "future proof" you're saying is also the reason why I'm tempted to get the 60.
    If you need/badly want to upgrade now, I suggest you go for the 60! But if you can wait a few months, wait for the official specs of the next BlackBerry phone. If you end up not liking it, at least, you could probably get a slightly lower priced 60 by then
    bbafdad likes this.
    11-15-16 09:18 PM
    Mercury if you are physically incapable of functioning without a hardware keyboard, DTEK60 for all other cases.
    bbafdad and matthewkuhl like this.
    11-15-16 09:23 PM
    The merc is assumed to be mid range fyi

And if the keyboard is like the priv's, it might leave people wanting.

The vkb is outstanding so there's that.

I'm sure the merc is going to be mint though as it'll be in house.

I'd personally get both

#whatisclassic
    bbafdad likes this.
    11-15-16 09:29 PM
    The merc is assumed to be mid range fyi

And if the keyboard is like the priv's, it might leave people wanting.

The vkb is outstanding so there's that.

I'm sure the merc is going to be mint though as it'll be in house.

I'd personally get both

#whatisclassic
    I don't think it will be the priv kind of keyboard.
    It will be more in line with the classic.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    bbafdad likes this.
    11-15-16 09:55 PM
    Mercury if you are physically incapable of functioning without a hardware keyboard, DTEK60 for all other cases.
    For few, they aren't physically incapable of functioning with a keyboard, but prefer the PKB for various reasons.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    11-15-16 09:55 PM
    Both...problem solved.
    11-15-16 10:14 PM
    Waiting for future releases are goes on............ it has no end bcoz the day to day the smartphones taking cutting edge of future
    11-15-16 10:27 PM
    Live in the now.
    11-15-16 10:44 PM
    Would you elaborate on the "Apple hell" description? How is it not up to par with your expectations?
    Alain_A likes this.
    11-16-16 02:41 AM
    I am a lover of pkb. The Mercury is said to have 3GB Ram, Finger Print Sensor, and DTEK security!!!! Price will be at par with DTEK60!! Remember, Mercury will be BB's last inhouse manufactured phone. I recommend Mercury, as you prefer a pkb. Regards!!!!
    hoopitz likes this.
    11-16-16 07:17 AM
68 123