So I'm at a retail store that offers you points with every purchase. I use an app on my phone to collect those points. As I'm unlocking my phone, the kid behind the counter watches me as I unlock with the picture password.

"Is that how you unlock your phone?"

"Yeah. Did you see what my password was?"

"I have no idea. What kind of phone is that?"

"BlackBerry"

"Why don't you get an iPhone?"

"Is that what you have?"

"Yes."

"Can your iPhone do this?"

"No," he says, cowering.

"Can you pop more memory into a slot on your phone when you run out?"

*shakes his head*

"Then why would I pay a lot more money for an incapable iPhone? "
    jamesharmeling, asiayeah and FF22 like this.
    07-01-17 08:13 AM
    So I'm at a retail store that offers you points with every purchase. I use an app on my phone to collect those points. As I'm unlocking my phone, the kid behind the counter watches me as I unlock with the picture password.

"Is that how you unlock your phone?"

"Yeah. Did you see what my password was?"

"I have no idea. What kind of phone is that?"

"BlackBerry"

"Why don't you get an iPhone?"

"Is that what you have?"

"Yes."

"Can your iPhone do this?"

"No," he says, cowering.

"Can you pop more memory into a slot on your phone when you run out?"

*shakes his head*

"Then why would I pay a lot more money for an incapable iPhone? "
    You forgot to include his comment afterwards:

"Isn't that the Alcatel Idol 4s from TCL? We've got that one for $299. How much did yo pay for yours?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-01-17 11:09 AM
    I think the op's point is that many people buy a phone simply because it's trendy, without fully understanding anything about it. I find that when I ask people why they have a certain phone, the most popular answer is "because my friends have one".
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-01-17 11:40 AM
    the ability to have and sd card is one of the reasons I stick to BlackBerry
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    07-01-17 12:25 PM
    Apple really is more of a marketing company than anything else. They have developed a huge following.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    07-01-17 07:36 PM
    Apple really is more of a marketing company than anything else. They have developed a huge following.
    It also helps when you have a good product. Marketing only gets you so far. It can get you to buy once, but to get people to continually buy they have to be happy with what they are using.
    07-01-17 09:08 PM
    Lucky he didn't ask you, did you get June update on your dtek60 yet...lol
    07-01-17 09:29 PM
    How is designing iPhones and all the software not more significant than the marketing of it?
    07-01-17 11:05 PM
    Lucky he didn't ask you, did you get June update on your dtek60 yet...lol
    Lol
    07-01-17 11:06 PM
    I really don't understand why anything wouldn't come with an option of an SD card. I even have one in my tablets.
    07-02-17 01:05 AM
    I really don't understand why anything wouldn't come with an option of an SD card. I even have one in my tablets.
    Some might argue it's a money grab making you bump up a notch for more storage but I don't think it's that simple.

If Apple introduced an SD card and whatever the charging/connectivity standards are today (USB C) , Samsung and others might as well go back to TV's and refrigerators. Apple would own 100% of the market but also risk the reputation of their product if it became altered outside their own quality standards.

I think Apple demonstrates the purest form of best practice when it comes to device management. Their ios is honed to perfection and they protect it vigorously in many different ways. It's locked right down to prevent anything from ruining the user's experience thus maintaining their product's reputation.

Many "other" platform users hate Apple for the lack of customization options on the os the way that people hate the IT guy at work for not letting them install their favorite personal use software at their workstations.
    07-02-17 07:24 AM
    I see - how far along is blackberry with its in-house version of the a10x?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-02-17 08:54 AM
    Anymore if they didn't charge $100 more for another 32gb I wouldn't care about an SD slot. If the phone had plenty of onboard storage as every so often I transfer stuff I don't need to keep on my card to my computer.
    07-02-17 09:01 AM
    Some might argue it's a money grab making you bump up a notch for more storage but I don't think it's that simple.

If Apple introduced an SD card and whatever the charging/connectivity standards are today (USB C) , Samsung and others might as well go back to TV's and refrigerators. Apple would own 100% of the market but also risk the reputation of their product if it became altered outside their own quality standards.

I think Apple demonstrates the purest form of best practice when it comes to device management. Their ios is honed to perfection and they protect it vigorously in many different ways. It's locked right down to prevent anything from ruining the user's experience thus maintaining their product's reputation.

Many "other" platform users hate Apple for the lack of customization options on the os the way that people hate the IT guy at work for not letting them install their favorite personal use software at their workstations.
    Soo... an SD card slot would increase iPhone marketshare from 17% to 100%? I will have to disagree with that one.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-17 10:49 PM
    You forgot to include his comment afterwards:

"Isn't that the Alcatel Idol 4s from TCL? We've got that one for $299. How much did yo pay for yours?
    I don't think an iPhone fan would be critiquing the cost of other phones knowing what they paid for theirs.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-17 10:51 PM
    I don't think an iPhone fan would be critiquing the cost of other phones knowing what they paid for theirs.

Posted via CB10
    Aren't all phones in the U. S $0 or $99?
    07-03-17 11:18 PM
    If you sign up to be an indentured servant for 2 years they are, although some are even more than that. Best to save $50 a month for a year, buy an unlocked phone and pay month to month. Then, instead of the extra payment for the phone, buy insurance for $8 a month.
    07-03-17 11:32 PM
    If you sign up to be an indentured servant for 2 years they are, although some are even more than that. Best to save $50 a month for a year, buy an unlocked phone and pay month to month. Then, instead of the extra payment for the phone, buy insurance for $8 a month.
    Cheers for the explanation. My comment about free/cheap phones in the U. S was said with sarchasism...
    jamesharmeling and kbz1960 like this.
    07-04-17 12:03 AM
    Cheers for the explanation. My comment about free/cheap phones in the U. S was said with sarchasism...
    Lol. Intention and meaning can get very lost in written words. WE know what we are saying (and how we are saying it), but to those who don't know our personality, wit, sarcasm, and humor, it can be very different. You sounded serious....lol.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-04-17 12:36 AM
    Lol. Intention and meaning can get very lost in written words. WE know what we are saying (and how we are saying it), but to those who don't know our personality, wit, sarcasm, and humor, it can be very different. You sounded serious....lol.
    Yes, feigned seriousness is the heart of all sarcasm. (said with much sarcasm - Oh, this is getting out of hand..
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    07-04-17 02:00 AM
    Not anymore. Carriers have done away with contracts. But you can still finance them.
    07-04-17 08:51 AM
    Soo... an SD card slot would increase iPhone marketshare from 17% to 100%? I will have to disagree with that one.

OK I'll contain my excitement and re phrase this. I definitely believe that if Apple were to incorporate an SD card and USB C in the Iphone, they could claim 100% (±) of the market they share with the other flagship devices. But I'm not certain that they would consider the notion considering the risks those changes would bring.

I will agree there is always opportunity at the lower end of the mobile device spectrum for all others like BlackBerry / Alcatel, Samsung, etc..to thrive as Apple doesn't serve that.....yet.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 10:43 AM