Need help finding a replacement Quad HD Display screen for the DTEK60. Any help is appreciated.

Posted via CB10, Powered by  QNX
    01-29-17 04:34 PM
    I guess it might depend on where you are located. But one thing that comes to mind is writing to BB directly...
    01-30-17 05:21 AM
    Hi

I had a cracked screen on my dtek60 as well. It was just the glass, everything else worked fine. The glass is extremely fragile but I guess that's one way they kept costs low.
    I just contacted BB help on twitter and they got in touch with me and emailed instructions for sending in my device.

That was about 2 weeks ago and I just received a quote for the repair amount a few days ago. It was $157 Canadian before tax. It was a little pricey but I gladly paid it because most repair shops don't have the parts for this phone and I'd rather trust an authorized repair place.
    I just made the payment last night with credit card and hopefully will get my phone back this week

The company handles warranty claims for Blackberry and also out of warranty claims. It is called SBE Canada Ltd. And you probably have to go through BB to set it up. This is where I live in the Greater Toronto Area so not sure where you're from but hope this helps.
    01-31-17 02:51 PM
    $157 CDN is not bad for a screen replacement, comparatively.... not cheap, but for an authorized repair it's not bad.

Tempered glass (which all mobile screens are) always are subject to fracturing if you manage to get them wrong. Tempering makes the glass (a lot) stronger in terms of the amount of flexure required to break the glass and its surface hardness (resistance to scratches), but it does it by setting up intentional stress in the crystalline structure of the glass. If those stresses are violated (by an impact in the wrong place, especially with a sharp pointed object) the glass will shatter; it is actually *less* likely to withstanding such an impact than untempered glass! Your car side windows are tempered; in addition to the strength enhancement tempered glass doesn't break into "shards" (which is real dangerous) but rather tends to break into "chunks" (less dangerous); thus the huge mess a broken side car window makes.

So as with all things it's a trade-off -- keeping pointed impacts (e.g. corner hits, things that it falls upon, etc) from your screen is one of the keys to not having it shatter. The Incipio case offers very good protection against this risk.
    02-01-17 02:53 PM
    Out of interest, how did it break? I've never had a screen crack on me.. just wondering as I'm looking at updating to a DTEK60.. want to make sure its not a widespread problem before committing!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 02:53 AM
    I dropped it while it was in a smart flip case. That case doesn't cover all the sides and the glass is fragile. I just recently got the DualPro case from Incipio which wraps fully around all the edges. Now I'm just waiting to get my phone back.

It is overall a great phone with great specs. 650$ was low enough for me to buy without contract. I definitely recommend it but also recommend a good case and tempered glass screen protector
    02-02-17 10:52 AM
    Hi

I had a cracked screen on my dtek60 as well. It was just the glass, everything else worked fine. The glass is extremely fragile but I guess that's one way they kept costs low.
    I just contacted BB help on twitter and they got in touch with me and emailed instructions for sending in my device.

That was about 2 weeks ago and I just received a quote for the repair amount a few days ago. It was $157 Canadian before tax. It was a little pricey but I gladly paid it because most repair shops don't have the parts for this phone and I'd rather trust an authorized repair place.
    I just made the payment last night with credit card and hopefully will get my phone back this week

The company handles warranty claims for Blackberry and also out of warranty claims. It is called SBE Canada Ltd. And you probably have to go through BB to set it up. This is where I live in the Greater Toronto Area so not sure where you're from but hope this helps.
    It's not a bad price at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! Figure $100 bucks for labor plus parts.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    02-02-17 10:58 AM
    The screen is TERRIBLE!!! Scratches on mine after a couple days while waiting for my screen protector in the mail. Others have said same problem, obviously a cheap screen. Blackberry also fraudulently told me via Twitter (have screenshot), that the DTEK60 has Gorilla Glass!! LOL! I'd look at another phone. Great otherwise, but what else did they cheap out on. They told me via email they are "aware" of the screen issue (also have screenshot), but refused to fix mine. Terrible experience.
    02-02-17 12:57 PM
    With the amount of screen damage occurring, I'm sure repair shops will stock a lot soon enough haha
    02-02-17 12:58 PM
    Thanks. I might hold out for the Mercury and see what that's like then.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 01:54 AM
    The Dtek60 is an excellent phone, especially those specs for that price. However, as u can see its the glass that is a problem for some, but with a good case and screen protector you should be OK. The. Mercury is a midrange but it does have a PKB if that's what you're looking for. I still would recommend the Dtek60. I love mine!!
    02-04-17 12:35 PM
    I have dropped my DTEK60 about 5-6 times, twice on concrete face down. No cracks, no scratches at all. I have 3 others in my business using them also, since launch, with perfect screens still.

Touch wood

Posted via CB10
    securityboy likes this.
    02-04-17 12:52 PM
    It is widespread. Look around on here. Mine scratched like crazy, BlackBerry refused to fix after acknowledging it's an "issue"
    02-08-17 04:33 PM
    Maybe you should just pay for the repair. I just got mine back last night from BlackBerrys repair shop after 3 weeks with a brand new display and it looks like new. Only thing I'm pissed about is the technician kept my SD card. I know I'm not supposed to send it in but I'm sure he could've just left it in there.
    02-08-17 04:43 PM
    It is widespread. Look around on here. Mine scratched like crazy, BlackBerry refused to fix after acknowledging it's an "issue"
    No issues here. The TCL screens are well known to be well built.
    Roadie29 likes this.
    02-08-17 05:42 PM
    anyone else having issues with their glass screens?
    03-18-17 01:41 PM
    My Dtek60 fell out of coat pocket last week. Landed face down on screen and cracked bad. Display doesn't work. No shops in area have parts. I had purchased it from shop blackberry so I contacted them and had a repair request. They emailed me a UPS shipping label within 24hrs. I packed it up and shipped it about 4 days ago. Still waiting for repair quote.
    03-18-17 08:23 PM
    No issues here I dropped the phone 2x all good but it did crack the glass protector and I just replaced it once the second time no damage.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-17 06:15 PM
    Good luck with the repair. My son dropped his dtek50 and we sent it back. Never received an estimate. 7 days later a new dtek50 arrived at my door. This was around 30 days after initial purchase. I was shocked. I hope you have the same luck as I did!
    03-23-17 09:56 PM
    Good luck with the repair. My son dropped his dtek50 and we sent it back. Never received an estimate. 7 days later a new dtek50 arrived at my door. This was around 30 days after initial purchase. I was shocked. I hope you have the same luck as I did!
    That would be awesome.
    03-24-17 03:11 AM
    With the K1 coming soon, I'll wait until the Dtek60 screen becomes readily available and inexpensive.
    03-25-17 08:42 AM