I think these mixed support experiences for the DTEK line are a forewarning to other model owners when their phones get discontinued. It's going to go like this:

Question: Will my BB Motion get Android 9.0?
    Response: Buy the brand new BB Hurricane, on sale now.

Question: Hey, my BB's battery has aged poorly compared to other phones I have had. Can I get a battery replacement?
    Answer: You need to reduce your battery life expectations. Here is another charger to help you with that.
    The difference now is that you are dealing with one licencee throughout the whole life of the device.

The previous generation of BlackBerry Android devices (Priv and DTEKs) are products from a company no longer making handsets.
    11-22-17 01:58 PM
    Conite, posting this 1000 times to the forum, as you have, doesn't make it true. I can only guess you are an employee and it is your job to cast the past as an unfortunate corporate boondoggle, but no worries, clear sailing from now on!

We don't know what that support experience will look like once a device is discontinued, but the past is a good predictor for future behavior. K1 owners will be next to find out in about 6 months.

I will never forgive any corporation openly calling their past, current, and maybe future customers "lab rats." Full stop.
    puffstack likes this.
    11-22-17 02:25 PM
    Conite, posting this 1000 times to the forum, as you have, doesn't make it true. I can only guess you are an employee and it is your job to cast the past as an unfortunate corporate boondoggle, but no worries, clear sailing from now on!

We don't know what that support experience will look like once a device is discontinued, but the past is a good predictor for future behavior. K1 owners will be next to find out in about 6 months.

I will never forgive any corporation openly calling their past, current, and maybe future customers "lab rats." Full stop.
    I'm not an employee and I'm not paid.

I am stating fact.

TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) is not BlackBerry.

BlackBerry made handsets, but they no longer do.

There is no "history" with respect to TCL, and nothing you can garner from the days of BlackBerry-past.

TCL will live or die based on their own actions, and their's alone.
    11-22-17 02:30 PM
    There is no "history" with respect to TCL, and nothing you can garner from the days of BlackBerry-past.
    That history is being built as we speak. These mixed support experiences for the DTEK line are being created by interactions of current owners with TCL and their service centers. This is happening in the present timeline. The DTEKs are their responsibility now, regardless of the past. This is exactly the reason this behavior is such a good predictor for the future.

The narrative/speculation you try to paint as if somehow the DTEK timeline and support experience is distinct from this other timeline where future customers are treated differently has no basis to it.
    11-22-17 02:50 PM
    That history is being build as we speak. These mixed support experiences for the DTEK line are being created by interactions of current owners with TCL and their service centers. This is happening in the present timeline. The DTEKs are their responsibility now, regardless of the past. This is exactly the reason this behavior is such a good predictor for the future.

The narrative/speculation you try to paint as if somehow the DTEK timeline and support experience is distinct from this other timeline where future customers are treated differently has no basis to it.
    I don't equate the two.

How TCL deals with their own devices is very separate from whatever side deal BlackBerry made with them regarding the DTEKs. BlackBerry wants to slough off their support commitments - but it is unclear how much they paid TCL, and for what level of support they contracted for.
    11-22-17 02:56 PM
    I don't equate the two.

How TCL deals with their own devices is very separate from whatever side deal BlackBerry made with them regarding the DTEKs. BlackBerry wants to slough off their support commitments - but it is unclear how much they paid TCL, and for what level of support they contracted for.
    Figuring out the contractual arrangements between the corporations is not something consumers care for, and rightly so. What they look at is the end-to-end ownership experience.

Like a well written story that closes the loop where it all began, it is now apparent how the beginning of the story (low price for near-flagship specs for 2016) closes the loop with support befitting that price tag. And this is the best case scenario, it's own timeline of sorts.

I think it's foolish to believe that the $549 price tag on the K1, a mere $50 more than the DTEK60, will go any further in terms of long term support. And we must remember that the K1 was a much larger engineering effort as it was not based on a reference design. I wish all K1 owners the best of luck.
    11-22-17 03:22 PM
    Figuring out the contractual arrangements between the corporations is not something consumers care for, and rightly so. What they look at is the end-to-end ownership experience.

Like a well written story that closes the loop where it all began, it is now apparent how the beginning of the story (low price for near-flagship specs for 2016) closes the loop with support befitting that price tag. And this is the best case scenario, it's own timeline of sorts.

I think it's foolish to believe that the $549 price tag on the K1, a mere $50 more than the DTEK60, will go any further in terms of long term support. And we must remember that the K1 was a much larger engineering effort as it was not based on a reference design. I wish all K1 owners the best of luck.
    Looking at BBMo handling of KEYone and Motion support is all I can do. What do they have to do with anything I bought from BB ? I've bought multiple Alcatel devices from Alcatel. Do those devices have anything to do with BBMo?

The only people complaining on here and tying old BB devices to a different company are typical of so many of whining customers that BB failed with.

Did you ever think BBMo wants those loyalist customers of the old BB to go away? They want those loyalists to go away because they're not interested with how the old BB did things.

Remember, the old BB is a joke to 99% of the market and BBMo is wanting to earn them back. They'll gladly trade less than 1% whiners for 2-5% of customers interested with a new company licensing the brand of an old favorite of years ago. They don't care about the small percentage of people who bought a handful of Android or BB10 devices over the last five years.
    11-22-17 03:36 PM
    Looking at BBMo handling of KEYone and Motion support is all I can do. What do they have to do with anything I bought from BB ? I've bought multiple Alcatel devices from Alcatel. Do those devices have anything to do with BBMo?

The only people complaining on here and tying old BB devices to a different company are typical of so many of whining customers that BB failed with.

Did you ever think BBMo wants those loyalist customers of the old BB to go away? They want those loyalists to go away because they're not interested with how the old BB did things.

Remember, the old BB is a joke to 99% of the market and BBMo is wanting to earn them back. They'll gladly trade less than 1% whiners for 2-5% of customers interested with a new company licensing the brand of an old favorite of years ago. They don't care about the small percentage of people who bought a handful of Android or BB10 devices over the last five years.
    Chuck, I knew I was a lab rat, but what I didn't realize is that I have become whinny as well. Thank you for pointing this out.
    11-22-17 04:04 PM
    Chuck, I knew I was a lab rat, but what I didn't realize is that I have become whinny as well. Thank you for pointing this out.
    Your welcome..... Glad you see it from an unemotional, purely logical, point of view....
    11-22-17 04:08 PM
    I think these mixed support experiences for the DTEK line are a forewarning to other model owners when their phones get discontinued. It's going to go like this:

Question: Hey, my BB's battery has aged poorly compared to other phones I have had. Can I get a battery replacement?
    Answer: You need to reduce your battery life expectations. Here is another charger to help you with that.
    Bingo.
    11-22-17 05:57 PM
    Bingo.
    Did you manage to find that note I was asking about?
    tickerguy likes this.
    11-22-17 06:13 PM

That's EXACTLY what they told me. I was actually the first person on these forums to take note of the DTEK60 battery life issue.

I received the unit directly from their repair center and sold it on ebay. A week later, I got a message that the battery life sucks and he doesn't want it. Fair enough.

I contacted BlackBerry for help with it, explained the situation, and they wanted me to let it sit for a day and send them the logs.

I told the lady she's incompetent, they turned BlackBerry into cancer, and I threw the phone out of my car window.

I left them a scathing review in the email survey they sent me. A guy called me and told me he wanted to "make it right" , I told him he can go get the phone off of the highway himself and hung up on him.

Old BlackBerry was extremely good. Ever since that Asian guy became ceo, they've gone downhill.
    11-27-17 06:48 PM
    I don't equate the two.

I'll tell you this:

When you take apart a dtek60, the first thing you see is an Alcatel battery. The phone is IDENTICAL to a TCL 950, screen and backplate aside. The motherboard is the exact same part number.

You can call it whatever you want, but when the phone is full of Alcatel parts, it's an Alcatel.

I once loved this brand, too. It's not the same company anymore. It's not that they just aren't given a fair shake by the public, it's that their products aren't desirable anymore. Look at companies like oneplus, their devices are far better than anything BlackBerry could offer at this time.

The last good BlackBerry was the priv.
    11-27-17 06:56 PM
    I'll tell you this:

When you take apart a dtek60, the first thing you see is an Alcatel battery. The phone is IDENTICAL to a TCL 950, screen and backplate aside. The motherboard is the exact same part number.

You can call it whatever you want, but when the phone is full of Alcatel parts, it's an Alcatel.

I once loved this brand, too. It's not the same company anymore. It's not that they just aren't given a fair shake by the public, it's that their products aren't desirable anymore. Look at companies like oneplus, their devices are far better than anything BlackBerry could offer at this time.

The last good BlackBerry was the priv.
    The KEYᵒⁿᵉ and the Motion kick butt.

BlackBerry clearly tried something else with the DTEKs, but TCL has reinvigorated the brand by going back to its roots and coming up with unique offerings.
    11-27-17 06:59 PM
    I'll tell you this:

When you take apart a dtek60, the first thing you see is an Alcatel battery.
    I though I would add this

Shame on BlackBerry's support-2765893018210189317.jpg
    11-27-17 07:15 PM
    I though I would add this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2765893018210189317.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	431833
    11-27-17 07:23 PM
    I'm not sure what the surprise is. We all know that BlackBerry contracted TCL to build the DTEKs for them from their existing reference parts/designs. But those days are over.
    11-27-17 07:32 PM
    In case people are wondering what they are looking at...

My picture of a DTEK60 is missing the motherboard since it died. I had no way to erase it so I pulled it and destroyed it. I sold the carcass on ebay.

The battery in the DTEK60/IDOL 4s/TCL 950 is made by SCUD (Fujian) Electronics. It's one of the many bottom feeders of the industry. A quick search shows it's a small company, with 500-1000 employees. This is no Sony, Samsung, or LG battery folks. I bet the K1 and Motion have the same trash in them.
    11-27-17 07:37 PM
    This is no Sony, Samsung, or LG battery folks. I bet the K1 and Motion have the same trash in them.
    Citations required for "trash", and "I bet".
    11-27-17 07:47 PM
    In case people are wondering what they are looking at...

My picture of a DTEK60 is missing the motherboard since it died. I had no way to erase it so I pulled it and destroyed it. I sold the carcass on ebay.

The battery in the DTEK60/IDOL 4s/TCL 950 is made by SCUD (Fujian) Electronics. It's one of the many bottom feeders of the industry. A quick search shows it's a small company, with 500-1000 employees. This is no Sony, Samsung, or LG battery folks. I bet the K1 and Motion have the same trash in them.
    How's that saying go: "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig,"
    HughJarsse likes this.
    11-27-17 07:58 PM
    How's that saying go: "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig,"
    All good if you want bacon.
    11-27-17 08:19 PM
    A battery is a battery, for the most part. Some of the worst in service life I have ever had with those in my Samsung devices before they started gluing them together. Never mind the "I like to light on fire" ones Samsung made....

This one is easily sourced, which makes it a very good thing. That picture is also quite useful, since it tells me (and others) where the adhesive is (only around the outside), thus getting it apart to change said battery is easy.

In other words for about $30 if you can't get satisfaction you can fix it yourself.
    11-27-17 08:29 PM
    Citations required for "trash", and "I bet".
    "trash" = every owner of a DTEK60 who has had it for a year or so, including yours truly.

"I bet" = a wager. Having said that, the K1 battery looks to be made by Amperex (aka ATL).

Source:
    11-27-17 09:18 PM
    "trash" = every owner of a DTEK60 who has had it for a year or so, including yours truly.

"I bet" = a wager. Having said that, the K1 battery looks to be made by Amperex (aka ATL).

Source:
    Okay. So you're already (at best) 1/2.

I will counter the anecdotal evidence regarding the reported bad batteries by adding another data point and saying my battery seems fine - and I've had the device since launch too.

It's quite possible there was a bad batch, but it's a stretch to accuse the entire battery company of being a "bottom-feeder" that builds "trash".
    11-27-17 09:21 PM
    A battery is a battery, for the most part. Some of the worst in service life I have ever had with those in my Samsung devices before they started gluing them together. Never mind the "I like to light on fire" ones Samsung made....

This one is easily sourced, which makes it a very good thing. That picture is also quite useful, since it tells me (and others) where the adhesive is (only around the outside), thus getting it apart to change said battery is easy.

In other words for about $30 if you can't get satisfaction you can fix it yourself.
    There are three pull-out adhesive strips under the battery. Two tabs are at the top of the battery (center and right) and they pull out without tearing. I don't remember now if the motherboard needs to be pulled out to reach the top 2 tabs, I believe not.

The third tab is at the bottom of the battery on the left. You need to pull out the bottom speaker/vibration motor/charging port/antenna assembly to get to it. Worse yet, as you pull on the tab, the adhesive stretches over a step in the chassis and it just breaks.
    11-27-17 09:28 PM
55 123