I dropped my DTEK60 last week and now anytime I go to use my phone, the screen looks like this:

Screen Failure - Do I replace the DTEK60 or get a Motion or wait?-img_20180514_101539.jpg

To get the screen to work again I have to hold the phone by the top and the bottom and flex it along it's long axis pretty hard. As I use it it slowly loses the flex I've imparted and the right side of the screen locks up again. Based on this empirical data I'm guessing that there is a loose connection somewhere between the screen and the PCB. I can keep typing blindly through the locked up right side of the screen and everything except the display works properly.

Anyway, my question now is whether I buy a replacement DTEK60 for $350 or a new Motion for $450? Or do I put up with the constant flexing and wait for the next BB to hit Amazon's shelves?

Thoughts?
    05-14-18 01:25 PM
    If your wanting a SLAB phone, there won't be another "BlackBerry" outside of India for awhile (next year).

I'd pay the extra $100 for the Motion... if those were YOUR choices.

My choice wouldn't involved settling for what's offered just to buy a brand. For $450 the Essential phone is a much nicer device.
    05-14-18 01:53 PM
    My choice wouldn't involved settling for what's offered just to buy a brand. For $450 the Essential phone is a much nicer device.
    The main reason I am still faithful to Blackberry after all of these years is because their virtual keyboard is just so good. I know people have side-loaded it onto other Android devices but I really like to keep the basic functionality of my phone stock. As discussed in other threads, if Blackberry could include their VKB in the Hub+ suite I would jump ship this afternoon.
    05-14-18 02:02 PM
    The main reason I am still faithful to Blackberry after all of these years is because their virtual keyboard is just so good. I know people have side-loaded it onto other Android devices but I really like to keep the basic functionality of my phone stock. As discussed in other threads, if Blackberry could include their VKB in the Hub+ suite I would jump ship this afternoon.
    Then get a Nokia and sideload the keyboard.
    05-14-18 02:21 PM
    It's an app... on a BlackBerry or off of it.

And it's an App that BlackBerry only has the rights to distribute on new hardware... Maybe in the future they can work something out with Swiftkey to allow it on other devices... for Swiftkey getting a bigger cut of the profits.
    05-14-18 02:22 PM
    I finally ditched my dtek 60 on the weekend. With the screen issue on the right hand side I used it against a sim free unlocked moto g6 plus. got just short of £80 so was happy with that. my moto g5 plus is now my stand by phone. as for key boards I've side loaded the BlackBerry VKB. it seems not to come in the BlackBerry Hub app so I used colbots akp. works perfectly.
    05-15-18 12:09 PM
    I finally ditched my dtek 60 on the weekend. With the screen issue on the right hand side I used it against a sim free unlocked moto g6 plus. got just short of £80 so was happy with that. my moto g5 plus is now my stand by phone. as for key boards I've side loaded the BlackBerry VKB. it seems not to come in the BlackBerry Hub app so I used colbots akp. works perfectly.
    Keyboard is licensed, so they can't offer it without a phone....

I liked my Moto as it was easy to disable or remove the native apps for email, contacts and calendar... Only advantage my S7 has a notification LED.
    05-15-18 03:41 PM
    I'm trying to figure out if the BB VKB will work properly on the Pixel 2XL. If so, I'm going to buy it immediately. The reason I wonder is because I don't know if the BB VKB scales to larger screen sizes and higher resolutions properly.
    05-16-18 12:26 PM
    Nevermind... just found this thread where the last poster says the VKB works perfectly on the Pixel 2XL:

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...l-2xl-1137412/
    05-16-18 12:30 PM