Jfaught^ what does this mean...when you are selling many devices you can sell at higher prices but when you sell less you need to sell at lower prices? That will not help them. Remember they are not in the business of handing out phones at a loss.

They need to price it where it fits in with the competition. I think the $500-$530 range makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 10:41 PM
    What I meant was BlackBerry has dropped so far behind in market share, and reputation has pretty much crashed (associated with outdated technology and hardware), so high prices are going to turn off prospective buyers that would consider the phone at a lower price.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 10:53 PM
    I mean I'd always hope to pay less, but if they're targeting the north American market with this one that should be a good price point for contract subsidy. Be easy for carriers to subsidize down to $0 or so.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 11:25 PM
    I'm Canadian and don't see why its a big deal to not release the phone that day anyways, you can remember soldiers and go buy a phone on the same day. Not a big deal, I still, probably have to go to work that day anyways lol

Posted via CB10
    That's just sad, hopefully you take some time for those that fought and fight for freedoms like freedom of speech, know what I'm saying....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-27-16 11:32 PM
    Anything over $500 is probably too steep, at least until BlackBerry can claw back a larger share of the market than the 0.003% they have currently.

Posted via CB10
    No matter how many of these they sell, it won't help the 0.3% market share because this will be included under android and not BlackBerry

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-27-16 11:57 PM
    Eh? For what it is??......A Qualcomm 820 processor (have you used one?)....It's very powerful.
    21MP camera....How many phones have better specs?

Geez.
    Scratching head with your comments.
    an 820 is last gen processor, the 821 will be released in a couple days. Plenty of phones have them and they are fine but beast laughable. 21 MPs doesn't mean anything either. $599 is $200 more than my oneplus that is better specd than this is. So yeah its overpriced.
    09-28-16 05:05 AM
    an 820 is last gen processor, the 821 will be released in a couple days. Plenty of phones have them and they are fine but beast laughable. 21 MPs doesn't mean anything either. $599 is $200 more than my oneplus that is better specd than this is. So yeah its overpriced.
    It won't be $599
    It will be $499

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    MehdiQ likes this.
    09-28-16 05:22 AM
    As much as I thought the price of the '50 was decent at $429 CDN, I don't see this phone as being $300 (after taxes) better than the '50 or maybe it is better to say, I can't see myself spending $300 more to get the '60.

$599 CDN would have been a fair price but at $699 CDN, as much as I'd want one, I'd consider saving $200 and getting the OnePlus 3 which has similar or better specs with the exception of the loss of microSD and questionable updates. Maybe if the EPP price is $550 CDN I'd consider it though.

This exchange rate gap is really getting tiring. I miss the days when the dollar was higher.

Anyways, I guess we will know the price soon enough.
    09-28-16 06:50 AM
    So they just announced they are exiting hardware business but yet releasing a new device? Who do they think would spend $6-700 for something that may be old news even before release??
    09-28-16 06:54 AM
    The camera probably sucks on this phone and the battery life probably mediocre.

Can get a samsung s7 for $650 taxes in which is probably going to be a better phone hardware wise, than even next year's BlackBerry.

Smh...oh well the Canadian market is too small anyway even if this phone was $300 cad.

#whatisclassic
    09-28-16 06:59 AM
    So they just announced they are exiting hardware business but yet releasing a new device? Who do they think would spend $6-700 for something that may be old news even before release??
    They are not exiting the hardware business. They are only ending "internal" development. They will be partnering from now on.
    aecgda likes this.
    09-28-16 07:09 AM
    They are not exiting the hardware business. They are only ending "internal" development. They will be partnering from now on.
    They will be hoping someone will license the brand... and that the licenser will also design, manufacture, distribute and support that hardware. There will be BlackBerry branded hardware in the world, but BlackBerry the company will have very little to do with it, other than collect the licensing fees.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-16 09:20 AM
    They will be hoping someone will license the brand... and that the licenser will also design, manufacture, distribute and support that hardware. There will be BlackBerry branded hardware in the world, but BlackBerry the company will have very little to do with it, other than collect the licensing fees.
    Don't think this is the case, it'll just means future phones will follow what DTEK50/60 is like. Completely outsourced, still distributed by BlackBerry. There's no licensing fees involved.

Basically what BLU is doing.
    09-28-16 09:31 AM
    Don't think this is the case, it'll just means future phones will follow what DTEK50/60 is like. Completely outsourced, still distributed by BlackBerry. There's no licensing fees involved.

Not what I got out of it.... we will see as I expect he will be asked for clarification today.

But Chen made it sound like BlackBerry would not be fiscally responsible for hardware anymore. That's not possible with them ordering, distributing and supporting these outsourced phones. From what I understood from the conference call... licensing was all BlackBerry would be doing with hardware.
    Enyigma and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-16 09:42 AM
    Not what I got out of it.... we will see as I expect he will be asked for clarification today.

But Chen made it sound like BlackBerry would not be fiscally responsible for hardware anymore. That's not possible with them ordering, distributing and supporting these outsourced phones. From what I understood from the conference call... licensing was all BlackBerry would be doing with hardware.
    I see where you're getting this vibe from, the Ralph Pini blog post. I could see them doing this for some markets, but not all. Like some has mentioned, device quality would be pretty bad for these.

So yeah, wait and see I suppose.
    09-28-16 09:47 AM
    So no launch or both launch and release on the 11th?
    09-28-16 10:43 AM

BlackBerry will get royalties from manufacturer (Alcatel) for every phone that is sold in their name.
    This is not the same as a licensing agreement. It is a lot less risk for BlackBerry..

Posted via my DTEK50
    09-28-16 10:44 AM
    Interesting times ahead. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled to the homepage for updates from Bla1ze.
    09-28-16 10:50 AM
    BlackBerry will get royalties from manufacturer (Alcatel) for every phone that is sold in their name.
    This is not the same as a licensing agreement. It is a lot less risk for BlackBerry..

Posted via my DTEK50
    I still have a hard time understanding this, it makes no sense in the case of DTEK50 and 60.. For the Indonesian deal, they are licensing the software and brand. But for the DTEK phones, BlackBerry is still front and centre marketing and distributing them. Other than the FCC filing there's no indication that's TCL is running with this thing, even the FCC testing is done by BlackBerry, it's their Grantee code. And besides why would TCL want to do that when their overseas arm is Alcatel...
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 09-28-16 at 11:04 AM.
    09-28-16 10:51 AM
    I still have a hard time understanding this, it makes no sense in the case of DTEK50 and 60.. For the Indonesian deal, they are licensing the software and brand. But for the DTEK phones, BlackBerry is still front and centre marketing and distributing them. Other than the FCC filing there's no indication that's TCL is running with this thing. And besides why would TCL want to do that when their overseas arm is Alcatel...
    Agreed

09-28-16 10:52 AM
    What I meant was BlackBerry has dropped so far behind in market share, and reputation has pretty much crashed (associated with outdated technology and hardware), so high prices are going to turn off prospective buyers that would consider the phone at a lower price.

Posted via CB10
    help me to understand this: are you buy BB brand for low price? there are lower price handsets, like Blu. BB reputation crashed? why you want BB (a crashed reputation) with same spec as low price guys that has no reputation (or known reputation for the low price). Come on, spell it out, exactly what you want from a BB which you don't want to pay but really set your eyes on it...;-). Besides, the price are closely linked to that target market (volume of willingness to pay), lower price, you have to sell more volume to recover the cost (profit margin low, unless you stealing someone's IP, like some Asia), volume of lower price sector got really a lot of chinese handsets there, not a good place to be IMHO. Mid range still a fair game for many, especially after the note 7 issue still not resolved. I just hope they get DTEK 60 out sooner than later (of course, no battery problem or any fault due to rush to market). The target is to gain the market share, but not at any price... as a share holder, I hope, they got the number (volume) right this time... (by the way, the dtek 50 was tested market in lower price range... anyone know how that is going? are you belong to that target group? don't need answer... thx).
    09-28-16 11:22 AM
    You probably haven't heard, but BB is existing the handset business. Bye!
    09-28-16 11:55 AM
    That's just sad, hopefully you take some time for those that fought and fight for freedoms like freedom of speech, know what I'm saying....

I do, all the time!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 12:05 PM
    Well I think an announcement may be coming soon. TCL just announced the 950 today, the sister phone to the Dtek60.

The TCL 950, the phone that the BlackBerry DTEK60 will be based on, has been officially unveiled

Hopefully we're not waiting too long for an official announcement.
    09-28-16 12:28 PM
    Well it is cheaper than the Moto Z and has a headphone jack... so it got that going for it.

I just hope they didn't skimp out on the warranty like they did for the DTEK50. That actually would be a big sell over Lenovo.
    Headphone jack is definitely a big deal for me. I can't use Bluetooth, when I do , feel my brain cells being fried.

09-28-16 12:30 PM
143 1234 ...