Just read an article on the net dated May 2016, that Rogers is still using band 12, which I understand that the Dtek60 does not support, anyone with more insight can help out,

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 03:49 PM
    Doesn't really matter for Rogers customers as the chances of an area using ONLY Band 12 is slim to none.

Everything you need to know about 4G LTE in Canada | Android Central

If you're concerned about it because of all the T-Mobile talk don't be. T-Mobile is a special snowflake.
    10-28-16 03:58 PM
    I knew there was someone out there smarter than me, tks for the clarification. Q I travel a lot to the US on business TELUS defaults to T Mobile in the US, should I be concerned if I buy a Dtek60 and want to use in the US tks,

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 04:06 PM
    I knew there was someone out there smarter than me, tks for the clarification. Q I travel a lot to the US on business TELUS defaults to T Mobile in the US, should I be concerned if I buy a Dtek60 and want to use in the US tks,

Posted via CB10
    This comes down to the basic questions:

Will my phone have service and data? - Yes.
    Will I be able to make WiFi calls - No.

It's a concern for T-Mobile customers because they can't have WiFi calling and they can't have VoLTE, which as a T-Mobile customer are nice things to have. However, as someone casually hopping on the T-Mobile network, they're not really 'required'.. you'll just drop to regular calling.
    10-28-16 04:16 PM
    Do you know from actually testing that VoLTE will not activate on T-Mobile Band 12? The option switch is there....
    10-28-16 04:33 PM
    Do you know from actually testing that VoLTE will not activate on T-Mobile Band 12? The option switch is there....
    Remains untested by me personally. Haven't been to the US since the 60 release to try.
    10-28-16 04:47 PM
    It will not. Phones have to be tested and certified (which costs money) before they're enabled for operation on Band 12 by T-Mo, and that mostly only happens for phone models that T-Mo carries and sells. Most manufacturers usually don't pay to have other models tested, even if they have models that are sold by T-Mo.

And it's always been T-Mo's policy not to support WFC on phones they don't sell themselves (even though there have been some rare exceptions, including BB10 phones).

Finally, there are areas where T-Mo has decommissioned GSM/Edge and redeployed those frequencies as Band 12 LTE, so in those areas, if you have a phone that doesn't have Band 12 enabled by T-Mo, you might still get data on another band, but you won't be able to make or receive phone calls, as those areas require Band 12 VoLTE.
    10-28-16 09:20 PM
    WFC is a different matter entirely than OTA protocols.

Once upon a time in America the same argument was run on unlocking codes; that carriers could not provide them because their phones were incompatible. The FCC saw through that ruse as GPRS/GSM/EDGE were all a common protocol as was HSPA and HSPA+, along with the emergent LTE, all were in fact published standards, and required under federal rulemaking that carriers provide unlocking codes to all customers who had paid for their equipment in full.

The intent was to prevent a carrier from destroying both the value of a perfectly good phone and also denying consumers the choice of both carrier and device as separate items, since there was no *technical* reason to allow such a restriction. The people won.

For a little while.

The carriers, however, got clever and rather than comply with both the letter and spirit of such regulation they implemented their bogus VoLTE/Band12 (and IMS/VoLTE in AT&T's case although today it is not single-band, so it doesn't lock you out) nonsense. VoLTE and IMS, however, are also defined standards and not proprietary to any particular provider. T-Mobile has made the argument that they have to "certify" because it is entirely possible for a device to have Band12 capability but not support VoLTE, which would mean you would not be able to complete a 911 call under certain circumstances. The FCC should have instantly brought suit and/or even a criminal charge when they ran this line of crap because it is not at all difficult for the baseband firmware to determine that (1) a 911 call is being made (in fact there is specific baseband code to do so since it also must grab GPS coordinates if it can; this goes back to the Samsung Vibrant and thus has been the case for roughly a decade now!) (2) the current locked band has no voice capability congruent with the device and thus (3) it should disregard that band entirely for the duration of said call. This would cause the phone to select a non-home (roaming or even non-subscribed) carrier, if one exists in the area when a 911 call is made and voice bearer capability doesn't exist on the currently-selected band in that device.

That was the proper response to this issue a couple of years ago when Band12 capable, but not VoLTE capable, handsets did exist in material number.

HOWEVER, this is not the case any longer, as virtually every handset that has been produced in the last couple of years can support VoLTE in that the SOCs and RF chipsets have all been rolled forward to versions that support same. Blackballing all handsets for which the producer does not pay what amounts to a toll, despite being adherent to VoLTE standards, is quite-clearly an attempt to force-tie sales, which incidentally implicates US anti-trust law.

That is exactly what the FCC effectively intended to and DID bar when they required unlocking codes to be issued, despite carriers attempting to claim that there was a technical reason for them to refuse. The government saw through that ruse and did the right thing.

Since the current nonsense is, in fact, an attempt to evade a promulgated rule that the FCC put in place to protect consumers enforcement action certainly appears warranted.
    Uzi likes this.
    10-28-16 09:44 PM