How good is the Dtek 60? Is it better than the priv? Better than the classic?

Is worth waiting for the mercury or getting the Dtek 60 instead?
    02-01-17 06:19 PM
    Best BlackBerry slab. If you want a keyboard, wait for the Mercury.

The Priv is a bit heavy and getting long in the tooth.
    02-01-17 06:31 PM
    Best BlackBerry slab. If you want a keyboard, wait for the Mercury.
    Agreed!
    02-01-17 07:38 PM
    Agree with you on this.
    02-01-17 08:31 PM
    It's Android. You will always see some of Android problems showing up from time to time that you may have seen on other handsets. Youtube randomly crashing, if you press homescreen button multiple of times in quick succession the phone freezes momentarily as it registers your tap. You have to rethink how you use your phone if coming from OS10.

Overall Dtek is a decent device, the question is what are your needs. Are you more comfortable with keyboards or touchscreen. Does camera matter? do you need autofocus?
    02-02-17 06:55 AM
    How good is the Dtek 60? Is it better than the priv? Better than the classic?

Is worth waiting for the mercury or getting the Dtek 60 instead?
    Here are my thoughts:

I have had the BlackBerry Torch 2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, the PRIV, and the Dtek60.

I can say the PROS of the Dtek60 are:

- fast processor
    - large memory storage
    - lots of Android apps
    - very good 21 MP rear camera
    - 21MP camera takes wider shots with natural colours.
    - very good 8 MP front camera
    - takes excellent pictures with either camera, especially with HDR turned on and "focus before shutter" turned on; colours not over-saturated like PRIV.
    - decent BlackBerry virtual keyboard
    - DTEK security
    - big bright 5.5" display
    - doesn't heat up as much as PRIV
    - great solid metal and glass build
    - lighter and thinner than PRIV
    - BlackBerry HUB
    - great price for high quality
    - Good reception / calling
    - Good speakers
    - headphone port at top of phone
    - useful fingerprint scanner to unlock both phone and individual apps
    - useful convenience side button
    - quick charging with BlackBerry rapid recharger.
    - great BlackBerry accessories available for Dtek60 (cases, pocket, holster, chargers, etc.) except no dock / charging stand.

CONS of the Dtek60 :

- I miss the original OS7 and OS10 BlackBerry keyboard for accuracy in multiple languages
    - I miss original BlackBerry OS10 clock and alarms.
    - I miss the Z30 speakers
    - no FM tuner
    - no Paratek antenna
    - No variable colour message LED
    - PRIV and Passport SE had OIS on their rear cameras
    - PRIV, Passport SE, Z30, and Torch had unique BlackBerry design/build "DNA."
    - Complete BlackBerry accessories, including charging dock, available for PRIV, Passport SE, and Torch.

Each BlackBerry I have owned has had an innovative design, has been unique and well-designed, and a solid performer.
    02-17-17 04:04 PM
    For me i won a priv in a competition last year when they came out, sorry to say i just couldn't get on with it, so sold it on. I loved my bold, classic, PP and leap. But the 60 is
    Possibly the best of the bunch. Life and technology mo es on and gets faster and the 60 is one of the fastest out there in my use. Apart from a vkb issue I'm having its so far been a great phone.
    02-17-17 04:46 PM
    Here are my thoughts:

I have had the BlackBerry Torch 2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, the PRIV, and the Dtek60.

- fast processor
    - large memory storage
    - lots of Android apps
    - takes excellent pictures with either camera, especially with HDR turned on and "focus before shutter" turned on; colours not over-saturated like PRIV.
    - DTEK security
    - BlackBerry HUB
    - Good speakers
    - great BlackBerry accessories available for Dtek60 (cases, pocket, holster, chargers, etc.) except no dock / charging stand.

CONS of the Dtek60 :

- I miss the original OS7 and OS10 BlackBerry keyboard for accuracy in multiple languages
    - no FM tuner
    - no Paratek antenna
    - Complete BlackBerry accessories, including charging dock, available for PRIV, Passport SE, and Torch.

Each BlackBerry I have owned has had an innovative design, has been unique and well-designed, and a solid performer.
    Thank you very much!! This is brilliant!! Really useful!!
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    02-18-17 02:10 AM
    I find it an excellent phone and good value.
    02-18-17 05:40 AM
    Thank you very much!! This is brilliant!! Really useful!!
    Thanks very much. I am glad that my informal "review" can be helpful to anyone!
    02-18-17 07:27 AM
    Here are my thoughts:

- fast processor
    - large memory storage
    - lots of Android apps
    - DTEK security
    - BlackBerry HUB
    - Good speakers

CONS of the Dtek60 :

- no FM tuner
    - no Paratek antenna

No fm radio , it doesn't have that antenna thing but would you say the call quality and reception is on par with the Z30 because it was dam good, speakers ?? Thought you said they were good ,wife has dtek50 and there really good
    02-18-17 10:59 PM
    No fm radio , it doesn't have that antenna thing but would you say the call quality and reception is on par with the Z30 because it was dam good, speakers ?? Thought you said they were good ,wife has dtek50 and there really good
    The Z30 has four surround-sound speakers.

The Z30 was way ahead of other models of its time for many reasons:

- Big, bright, low-drain AMOLED display
    - Big long-lasting battery
    - HDMI and USB ports
    - Miracast in addition to Bluetooth and NFC
    - Paratek antenna
    - FM Radio
    - HUB
    - Excellent BlackBerry OS10 auto-suggest virtual keyboard
    - BlackBerry clock
    - fibreglass weave back
    - Four speakers offering amazing sound.

These features were not available on other models of the time, such as the Nexus 5 and the iPhone5.

Unfortunately, the Z30 had a mediocre camera and Android apps had to be side-loaded. BlackBerry didn't understand the growing importance of cameras, apps, and social media. Android and Apple took over.

The Dtek60 has two excellent speakers, with four speaker ports (two on front, two on back).

I often feel the Dtek60 was what the "Z50" might have been: Faster processor, better display, bigger battery, more apps, better cameras front and back, USB-C port, and great light build.

Sadly, the "Z50" never arrived. I still miss BlackBerry OS10 since it was a more stable and professional operating system. The OS10 auto-predict and auto-correct keyboard was truly amazing in multiple languages, BlackBerry apps were stable, the native BlackBerry clock was better, and security was great.
    Last edited by tonythecanuck; 02-19-17 at 09:40 PM.
    02-19-17 09:25 PM
    I love the dtek60 it is smooth, however since the January update it sticks sometimes, also I live in the English speaking Caribbean, bought the dtek from Amazon it did not have password keeper on it tried loading from google got the message not available in your country, and there are a number of other apps where that message is given had to aquire from a third party store, with some like enpass it will not allow you to upgrade to a full copy. Still love it anyhow.
    cez11 likes this.
    02-26-17 01:32 PM
    I bought a dtek60 a few days ago ( after 2 years usage of Z30) and after this short period I would say ( that is subjective opinion):
    The things to be improved:
    - Call quality !!! this is must for a phone
    - Signal strength ( at my workplace 2.5g Edge is detected against 4g Ltd on my business Nokia NL640
    - Energy management ( at battery saver -on- the phone becomes sluggish and unpleasant when off battery goes out to fast;difficult to control
    - handset ergonomy (for me the 72 mm width and different shape of set would be appreciated, I use case to eliminate risk of slippage
    - convenience key unusefull
    - basic software still to be improved to the bb10 level
    - system should be maximally simplified ( that is the consequence of android in my opinion) opening unwanted apps and other difficult to describe faulty behaviors with fingers of man at my age,
    -security level should be compared to others within some indicators and shown at measurable level (which is important from marketing point of view ( benchmarking)
    - voice recognition is not that good as in Z30(bb10) drastically to be improved ( not Google one) for other than English languages

Others features good for the level of advanced smartphone and all other strengths of BlackBerry which is not necessary to be replied and additionally android apps ocean.

Regards to whole Crackberry community.
    03-29-17 01:44 PM