EDITED POST, CHANGED CONCLUSION. SEE POST OF NOVEMBER 12 later in thread.

...Maybe I am alone but I am not super impressed by the ...

New Bottom line - I am now committed to the DTEK60 and selling the Priv
    Last edited by stanfordprof; 11-12-16 at 08:57 AM.
    11-06-16 08:18 PM
    Maybe I am alone but I am not super impressed by the 60. I had frustrations with my Priv, mainly due to the "no service" problem with AT&T. And the Priv actually has been running hot more frequently. In addition, I am not thrilled with the Priv pkb so I had been using the vkb far more than the pkb.

I bought the 60. It's a damn good device, yes... BUT. And here are the buts.

First, I dislike how difficult it is to hold onto the thing. It is slippery and maybe even too thin.

Second, I frankly do not see the big improvement due to the statistically better hardware. Yes, it is smoother when scrolling. Otherwise, not noticeable to me.

Third, I definitely miss the pkb. I miss using it to scroll, especially since sometimes scrolling on the actual screen erroneously causes something to be selected. I miss using the Priv pkb, despite its suboptimal design, when I really truly must send perfectly typed email.

Fourth, I missed sitting my device on a cordless charging stand. I have one at bedside and one on my desk at work. It's super convenient and I can still look at and use the device while it charged. Not so with the 60, obviously.

Fifth, the Priv camera us damn good. I don't give a crap about the quality of the selfie camera because, well, I am older than 13.

Sixth I miss the multicolored LED. I actually like how I can customize notifications by different colors.

Bottom line - I am returning the 60. I will likely buy the next pkb device. If it ever comes. Meanwhile I will enjoy my somewhat imperfect Priv.
    Thanks for the review! I have had the Z30, the Passport SE, and the Priv. They are all great. I love the Priv for it's big display, good speakers, pkb, and, as you say, fantastic 18MP rear camera.

I have ordered the DTEK60, hoping it's a step up again. I really would like a lighter device, big display, as well as a good selfie camera in addition to good rear camera. I will see what happens....
    11-06-16 08:25 PM
    Maybe I am alone but I am not super impressed by the 60. I had frustrations with my Priv, mainly due to the "no service" problem with AT&T. And the Priv actually has been running hot more frequently. In addition, I am not thrilled with the Priv pkb so I had been using the vkb far more than the pkb.

First, I dislike how difficult it is to hold onto the thing. It is slippery and maybe even too thin.

Second, I frankly do not see the big improvement due to the statistically better hardware. Yes, it is smoother when scrolling. Otherwise, not noticeable to me.

Third, I definitely miss the pkb. I miss using it to scroll, especially since sometimes scrolling on the actual screen erroneously causes something to be selected. I miss using the Priv pkb, despite its suboptimal design, when I really truly must send perfectly typed email.

Fourth, I missed sitting my device on a cordless charging stand. I have one at bedside and one on my desk at work. It's super convenient and I can still look at and use the device while it charged. Not so with the 60, obviously.

Fifth, the Priv camera us damn good. I don't give a crap about the quality of the selfie camera because, well, I am older than 13.

Sixth I miss the multicolored LED. I actually like how I can customize notifications by different colors.

Bottom line - I am returning the 60. I will likely buy the next pkb device. If it ever comes. Meanwhile I will enjoy my somewhat imperfect Priv.
    Many of the same reasons I'm staying with Priv right now. No great reason to make the jump. Plus, I want to see what Nougat does for the device.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    11-06-16 08:30 PM
    Priv. The back click sound, gets so hot, the way the sides start to peel after wear and tear, the types of stuff that get in the speaker holes, the freezing but then again every phone does that. My fav is the crappie selfie camera to have with wifey on vacation. Such a downfall for android Blackberry. An under spec'd phone overpriced at release. Made me switch to Samsung. Now I'm back with a dtek60. Both priv's replaced with dtek50 and 60.
    11-06-16 08:49 PM
    I had the Priv but I wasn't using the PKB much and I found it too bulky, I switched from the DTEK 50 which I preferred the form factor but found the battery lacking now with DTEK 60 I've found the perfect device form factor is perfect, not slippery with the shell with the additional RAM the device runs better than the PRIV and 50, the overheating and clicking was quite bothersome on the PRIV but most importantly one charge in the morning gets me through the day something that the PRIV or 50 could never do.
    11-06-16 08:51 PM
    Thanks for the review! I have had the Z30, the Passport SE, and the Priv. They are all great. I love the Priv for it's big display, good speakers, pkb, and, as you say, fantastic 18MP rear camera.

I have ordered the DTEK60, hoping it's a step up again. I really would like a lighter device, big display, as well as a good selfie camera in addition to good rear camera. I will see what happens....
    It's a big step up.
    11-06-16 08:52 PM
    I am entirely on the other side.

The Priv is a nice device. But compared against the DTEK60, the only plus it has is the PKB. It's heavier, bulkier, has inferior battery life, inferior CPU, identical camera performance on the main and grossly inferior on the front, screens are comparable with a slight edge to the DTEK60 (especially outdoors in full sun) and the Bluetooth is more-stable (no idea why, but it is with wireless headphones.)
    11-06-16 09:27 PM
    Agree. I had used the Priv for over a year with multiple glitches, hot phone, irregular scrolling, clicking, you name it. The Dtek60 came out premium right out of the box with all the upgraded Android BlackBerry programs we love. This is a Huge step up. Best phone I ever owned. I loved my Z30. This is a Z30 on steroids.
    11-06-16 10:06 PM
    Agree. I had used the Priv for over a year with multiple glitches, hot phone, irregular scrolling, clicking, you name it. The Dtek60 came out premium right out of the box with all the upgraded Android BlackBerry programs we love. This is a Huge step up. Best phone I ever owned. I loved my Z30. This is a Z30 on steroids.
    Agreed!
    11-06-16 10:11 PM
    I guess one man's "bulky" is another man's "perfect size" . Also I really think the importance of the specs on the selfie camera is of near zero importance to many people but apparently high priority to others. And the same goes for a pkb. Zero importance to many but a differentiator to others.

For me, if I wanted a phone with no pkb, I would seriously consider both the iPhone and a Pixel XL. The 60 would need to out-compete those, not the Priv.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-06-16 10:52 PM
    Is dtek60 better than the TCL reference device now running Windows 10 and available at t-mobile? I hear that phone also comes witha free vr headset.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-06-16 10:55 PM
    Is dtek60 better than the TCL reference device now running Windows 10 and available at t-mobile? I hear that phone also comes witha free vr headset.

The dtek has a QHD super AMOLED screen the windows only has a 1080p lcd screen. The dtek has a dark titanium type colour trim , the windows model has a gold colour trim.

Personally the gold trim looks tacky, and QHD AMOLED screen is awesome.
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    11-06-16 10:58 PM

For me, if I wanted a phone with no pkb, I would seriously consider both the iPhone and a Pixel XL. The 60 would need to out-compete those, not the Priv.
    Those cost a LOT more than the DTEK60.

So if performance/price is important, it's a slam dunk.
    11-06-16 11:17 PM
    I guess one man's "bulky" is another man's "perfect size" . Also I really think the importance of the specs on the selfie camera is of near zero importance to many people but apparently high priority to others. And the same goes for a pkb. Zero importance to many but a differentiator to others.

That's not hard at the price differential. If the Pixel XL was $499 you'd have a point. But the problem is that the Pixel XL is hideously more expensive (and remember, you need the BIG one, not the 32Gb model either as it has no SD slot!) -- got $849 laying around?

That's 70% more than a DTEK60.

But even the 32Gb is IMHO crazy at $749; that's 50% more money than the DTEK60 and​ you are giving up memory expansion permanently in either case, which is likely to drive people to the bigger one.

The iPhone 7Plus has basically the same ticket and no-slot restriction associated with its acquisition (along with another option in the 256gb storage size if you're particularly masochistic or just hate money) for yet ANOTHER $100.

There's no justification for Pixel XL against the DTEK60 unless you're willing to toss down 70% for money for a camera that performs better under certain specific conditions (specifically, low light available-light shooting.) I don't see $250 worth of additional product in the Pixel XL -- not even close -- and with the lack of the SD slot I'm forced to compare against the big one since I cannot fit what I carry with me in 32Gb less operating system overhead.
    11-06-16 11:21 PM
    That's not hard at the price differential. If the Pixel XL was $499 you'd have a point. But the problem is that the Pixel XL is hideously more expensive (and remember, you need the BIG one, not the 32Gb model either as it has no SD slot!) -- got $849 laying around?

That's 70% more than a DTEK60.

But even the 32Gb is IMHO crazy at $749; that's 50% more money than the DTEK60 and​ you are giving up memory expansion permanently in either case, which is likely to drive people to the bigger one.

The iPhone 7Plus has basically the same ticket and no-slot restriction associated with its acquisition (along with another option in the 256gb storage size if you're particularly masochistic or just hate money) for yet ANOTHER $100.

There's no justification for Pixel XL against the DTEK60 unless you're willing to toss down 70% for money for a camera that performs better under certain specific conditions (specifically, low light available-light shooting.) I don't see $250 worth of additional product in the Pixel XL -- not even close -- and with the lack of the SD slot I'm forced to compare against the big one since I cannot fit what I carry with me in 32Gb less operating system overhead.
    Funny enough my antutu test results show the dtek60 out performing the pixel....and as far as low light conditions goes....dtek60 does great.
    Attached Thumbnails Regrets, switching back to my Priv-img_20161015_1851558.jpg  
    11-06-16 11:29 PM
    It's a big step up.
    Except when we want to use LED for notifications lol
    Kot Prada likes this.
    11-07-16 01:13 AM

Heard of other device having issues with lag and overheating and not to mention it has a fairly low pixel count to perform well on VR
    11-07-16 01:27 AM
    I had the Priv but I wasn't using the PKB much and I found it too bulky, I switched from the DTEK 50 which I preferred the form factor but found the battery lacking now with DTEK 60 I've found the perfect device form factor is perfect, not slippery with the shell with the additional RAM the device runs better than the PRIV and 50, the overheating and clicking was quite bothersome on the PRIV but most importantly one charge in the morning gets me through the day something that the PRIV or 50 could never do.
    The DTEK60 definitely holds its battery life far better when not in use even though it's a smaller battery
    11-07-16 02:26 AM

Pick up s7 edge and you will be happy, both price and dtek are Half baked.
    11-07-16 03:18 AM
    Sorry I mean priv not price
    11-07-16 03:20 AM
    So what's the fuzz with a higher spec'd device when all you do with it is take selfies, post to FB, send and received messages through social media apps , make calls and yes, play games.

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky.
    tonythecanuck and BGRS like this.
    11-07-16 05:40 AM
    I'd take the DTEK60 over the S7 in a heartbeat.
    11-07-16 06:57 AM
    Funny enough my antutu test results show the dtek60 out performing the pixel....and as far as low light conditions goes....dtek60 does great.
    Speaking of which, could you post your results? I've been curious about this for a while. Specifically how it out performs the Priv and the 50.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 07:07 AM
    People who use selfies aren't 13 and below. Cringe.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 07:15 AM
    Hated priv. Sold it went to s7 edge. Sold s7 edge and went to dtek50. Realizing the only thing that really separates these phones nowadays are the cameras. S7 edge is overrated. Day 31's black lines of crappie overpriced cheap parts. Samsung never again.
    Attached Thumbnails Regrets, switching back to my Priv-img_20160609_151520.jpg  
    11-07-16 07:34 AM
99 123 ...