Or can and will a future update possibly provide a return to the choice of different colors for notifications, such as for different accounts (email, facebook, twitter etc)?

In the meantime, anyone know if there is a simple and lightweight app that can do exactly the same thing?

P.S. Not sure I care all that much, but would sure be nice to have options...
    12-24-16 07:09 PM
    Only red. Hardware limited
    12-24-16 07:17 PM
    The " Light bulb" is Red only but maybe there's an app to give double or triple blink for different services.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 07:23 PM
    Anyone care to guess why this kind of reallyreally old skool feature was returned?
    12-24-16 07:26 PM
    Anyone care to guess why this kind of reallyreally old skool feature was returned?
    I guess your question was why the feature was dismissed?
    Cost savings. A multicolor (RGB) LED requires more connections and more electronic controls than single colour.
    There is another thread about the Dtek50 (which has a white LED only), where this was discussed extensively.
    12-25-16 12:31 PM
    I guess your question was why the feature was dismissed?
    Cost savings. A multicolor (RGB) LED requires more connections and more electronic controls than single colour.
    There is another thread about the Dtek50 (which has a white LED only), where this was discussed extensively.
    The DTEK50 makes a bit more sense, because it avoids the extra LED entirely by just using the front flash.

But already accommodating the additional notification LED in the DTEK60, I can't imagine the incremental cost to a multi-colour one would have been significant. I find it odd.
    12-25-16 12:40 PM
    I'm sure some bright developer will find a way to utilize the green charging bar along the edge as a notification light.
    12-25-16 01:19 PM
    The DTEK50 makes a bit more sense, because it avoids the extra LED entirely by just using the front flash.

But already accommodating the additional notification LED in the DTEK60, I can't imagine the incremental cost to a multi-colour one would have been significant. I find it odd.
    I think red is a bit more blackberryish.....

I don't think RGB would have been overly expensive either, and wish all BB branded phones would have it. However, people on this other thread said that in fact it WOULD be way more expensive, as more and different electronics would have to be applied, not just a different 'lamp'. Also, if the 'reference design' that BB chose from what TCL had to offer, didn't provide RGB, choosing a different manufacturer or modifying the reference design just for a different LED colour would probably not have been appropriate nor affordable.
    12-26-16 07:08 AM
    I'm sure some bright developer will find a way to utilize the green charging bar along the edge as a notification light.
    You can already get apps that show a customizable colored dot on the turned off screen as a notification. What sounded interesting to me at first, didn't turn out to be really usable, as in fact the entire screen gets turned on, even if it's a dot only that acts as a notification, the remaining parts of the screen appear dark greyish and to be lit and turned on somehow.
    Not only did that not look good imho, but I was also concerned of battery waste. So nothing for me, but maybe others may want to look at such a solution.
    12-26-16 07:13 AM
    And you are telling me that BlackBerry is puting a magic chip into each dtek , BUT the RGB Led would be too expensive...hehe

Posted via CB10
    12-26-16 09:36 AM
    And you are telling me that BlackBerry is puting a magic chip into each dtek , BUT the RGB Led would be too expensive...hehe

Posted via CB10
    Nope, the whole hardware root of trust thing was built basically on the Qualcomm SoC, with customized code. So no "magic chip" at all.
    12-26-16 02:54 PM
    I think the issue brought up by another comment is not why they didn't put a special RGB just for the DTEK, but why TCL didn't go with a RGB LED themselves if they were already putting a separate LED for notifications anyway. Other Androids have them so it's not just a BB thing anymore...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-26-16 11:16 PM