So with the conventional BlackBerry, you can take image level backups using the Link software. How do you android guys do this? I'm going to be making the switch when the Mercury comes out (dtek60 is my fallback), and need to know how I can continue taking image level backups of the entire device.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-19-17 11:09 AM
    You can't. But with good planning, there is little need.

The big failing with BlackBerry Link was the fact that when you actually need to do a restore, it is typically after wiping your device because of poor performance. Restoring with Link just puts the errors right back on the device. That's why I avoided using it.
    01-19-17 11:11 AM
    You are correct about that, but I haven't had OS issues since bb10 came out. Dare I say the issues aren't very common, if not null and void?

What are my options for system backups?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-19-17 11:20 AM

What are my options for system backups?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Many app choices.

Also, much is saved in the Google Cloud.
    01-19-17 11:26 AM
    you technically dont take image level backups with link. You can back up and restore most everything though.

With android you can take a true image level backup with root only. Otherwise its a bit harder. BB does need to make a link like tool as nothing on the market does a good backup like link did.

BUT most things are cloud anyway or the SD. Contacts, calender etc are cloud backups and google play backs up a good portion of the app data and google account retains settings.
    01-19-17 12:09 PM
    So what will I have to manually make backups of then, in this case?

Let's say tomorrow I lose my phone. What are my steps to restoring it to how it was?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Mr_Ground likes this.
    01-19-17 01:53 PM
    So what will I have to manually make backups of then, in this case?

Let's say tomorrow I lose my phone. What are my steps to restoring it to how it was?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    If you have automatic backup enabled it backs up usually overnight, and you can select which backup to restore when setting up a new (or wiped) device. Be aware depending on device model and/or software version this may not be perfect as some apps and settings don't restore. I've found it to be fairly comprehensive and it takes a few minutes to go through and manually adjust what doesn't restore.

Question for you android OS fellas-screenshot_2017-01-19-14-34-06.jpg
    01-19-17 02:38 PM
    So automatic backup is a stock android function then?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-19-17 03:11 PM
    So automatic backup is a stock android function then?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Correct. As mentioned though, its completeness is depending on model and software, and some apps have their own backup available. I can back up my email apps, launcher, and a few others separately in addition to the main backup. Also the backup can be viewed to see exactly what is backed up within it.
    01-19-17 05:49 PM
    each app has to build the backup function in. Its a newer option so every app might not be updated for it
    01-19-17 07:44 PM
    That's awesome. So it's a big more involved than BlackBerry link, but it more or less will get the job done. Very exciting!

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-19-17 08:45 PM