1. alemna's Avatar
    Certain apps are having trouble writing new files to storage. I'm 80% sure that this problem is associated with the December 2017 security update. I feel like there's a 40% chance that this is related to the December 2017 security update itself, a 40% chance that it's related to how I installed the update, and a 20% chance that it's coincidental timing and they're unrelated. The following apps seem to be affected -

    • Google Play Music. Won't download new music for offline use.
    • Podcast Addict. Won't download new podcasts.
    • Signal. Won't export message log.
    • Google Play. Wouldn't download new apps. This problem resolved itself after a hard reboot (holding the power button for thirty seconds), but the hard reboot did not fix any of the problems above.


    I installed the December 2017 security update using the method listed here - basically, uninstalling Google Play Services updates, then downloading the security update, then reinstalling the GPS updates.

    The apps seem to have been affected in a progressive fashion - first Google Play Music, then Podcast Addict, then Google Play. I'm uncertain when Signal was first affected - I've never tried to export the message log previously, but I wanted to do this before I tried a factory reset.

    So far as I can tell, my next step is going to have to be a factory reset. Is there anything I'm missing, though? At least, does anyone have any idea what happened so I don't do it again?
    01-09-18 07:22 PM
  2. wmatsura's Avatar
    Before you go for a factory reset, try reinstalling the affected apps.

    I've read somewhere that Android OS, when updated, don't apply the new protocols instantly, it takes sometimes. Therefore, if you do something on your phone related to the new OS update before they're applied, you'll get some errors.. that's the price of having a multiple platform OS, I guess.. To sum up, it would be recommended to update your device before going to sleep, so the OS can work overnight while you're asleep and not doing anything on your phone. After that, it's always a good idea to do a hard reset and clean the cache

    Since you only mentioned a few apps, maybe it's not an OS problem, but specific with those apps
    01-11-18 11:33 AM
  3. alemna's Avatar
    Thanks for the response! I think I've figured out the problem, though there is at least one lingering issue that I'll mention at the end.

    Before you go for a factory reset, try reinstalling the affected apps.

    I've read somewhere that Android OS, when updated, don't apply the new protocols instantly, it takes sometimes. Therefore, if you do something on your phone related to the new OS update before they're applied, you'll get some errors.. that's the price of having a multiple platform OS, I guess.. To sum up, it would be recommended to update your device before going to sleep, so the OS can work overnight while you're asleep and not doing anything on your phone. After that, it's always a good idea to do a hard reset and clean the cache

    Since you only mentioned a few apps, maybe it's not an OS problem, but specific with those apps
    Reinstalling one of the affected apps, Podcast Addict, was actually the first thing I tried when I began trying to fix this. This was when I first noticed the issue with Google Play not downloading new apps/updating old apps. A hard reset seemed to resolve the issue with Google Play, although after I made the original post I noticed that it reappeared intermittently, seemingly at random. Regardless, reinstalling Podcast Addict didn't help - and the trouble it had caused me left me kinda unmotivated to try reinstalling the other apps.

    However, your advice to focus on the apps themselves combined with this post about SD card errors and the Dec 2017 update made me remember that I had previously moved a lot of app storage over to the SD card and had formatted it as an extension of internal storage. I moved all my data off the SD card and reformatted it as portable storage, and all my problems with Google Play Music, Podcast Addict, and Signal have vanished. Looks like it was a problem with my SD card, probably combined with the method I used to install the Dec 2017 update.

    The one lingering issue is that I'm still seeing the intermittent problems with Google Play occasionally not installing new apps. It's very inconsistent and it seems to be happening less often, so I'll do a hard reset to clear the cache again and see if it sticks around for more than a few days.

    tl;dr - It was a problem with my SD card.
    01-16-18 07:29 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Is the Keyone compatible with Straight Talk?
    By CrackBerry Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-18, 04:26 PM
  2. Double clock after roaming
    By Badabook in forum BlackBerry Priv
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-13-18, 05:58 AM
  3. Would a 5th row with Android keys make sense?
    By flexmaen in forum BlackBerry KEYone
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-10-18, 03:18 AM
  4. Avoid costly errors with this great deal on a Grammarly one-year subscription
    By CrackBerry News in forum CrackBerry.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-18, 10:40 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-18, 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD