To be realistic, the number of fleet buyers for the DTEK50 was likely small, and for the DTEK60, almost zero. These phones sold in very small quantities, by most estimates, so the loss of good will among customers for not upgrading to N would likely be limited.

I still think BlackBerry Mobile SHOULD upgrade them to N (or O, if that's just as easy), fwiw, but, from a business standpoint, it's not an imperative.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Should be easy enough, a team is together already the Aurora dropped with N
    09-15-17 09:15 AM
    That's all fine and good and let's say you do get the bootloader unlocked, is there a dev team making a custom ROM of Oreo? Or nougat for that matter? You can't just go flashing the os into your phone. I'm sure IF that bootloader was unlocked devs would jump on the chance but by the time you convince them to allow bootloader access, then a dev team gets on it Android Q will be dropping capisce?
    Furthermore due to the dtek security I could be wrong but a simple bootloader unlock wouldn't be that simple when dealing with blackberry security don't forget security is their trademark.
    Lastly the dtek 50 and 60 were a test if you will in numerous respects, don't forget that device you are using is an exact clone of a mediocre device in the Alcatel idol4. The tests worked and blackberry/tcl is in full effect, my advice to you is move on to the Aurora which has NOUGAT, or the keyone
    Godspeed on that petition, personally it's a waste of time I'd be petitioning life back into the PRIV at least it's worthy
    09-15-17 09:32 AM
    That's all fine and good and let's say you do get the bootloader unlocked, is there a dev team making a custom ROM of Oreo? Or nougat for that matter? You can't just go flashing the os into your phone.
    Furthermore due to the dtek security I could be wrong but a simple bootloader unlock wouldn't be that simple when dealing with blackberry security don't forget security is their trademark.
    Lastly the dtek 50 and 60 were a test if you will in numerous respects, don't forget that device you are using is an exact clone of a mediocre device in the Alcatel idol4. The tests worked and blackberry/tcl is in full effect, my advice to you is move on to the Aurora which has NOUGAT, or the keyone
    Godspeed on that petition, personally it's a waste of time I'd be petitioning life back into the PRIV at least it's worthy
    That's right. Even with an unlocked bootloader, no software would load without being signed by BlackBerry.
    09-15-17 09:37 AM
    That's right. Even with an unlocked bootloader, no software would load without being signed by BlackBerry.
    Not even that, even if they did sign these ROMS as you probably know are made specific to each device. A a dev would have to tailor N to the dtek hardware
    09-15-17 09:39 AM
    hell I'd love to be the one to create the first custom ROM in a berry......well a sort of berry
    That's like having Hugh Heffner status in the geek world of devices lmfao
    09-15-17 09:46 AM
    Possibilities are endless if bootloader could be unlocked. I've been experimenting custom rom on my samsung A5 And Micromax all thanks to xda community, it just need a bunch of enthusiastic people to make some, which is difficult but not impossible. One possibility came to my mind while typing this is Cobalt taking responsibility of providing ota for custom rom .. LOL
    09-15-17 12:38 PM
    To me, trying to unlock a DTEK60 phone to run custom ROMs is like buying a four door hardtop car and trying to turn it into a convertible coupe. It might be an interesting project, and there's no reason not to try if that excites you, but most people would be better off buying the convertible coupe to start with.

If you want a fully rootable Android phone to play with, there are many available for lea than the cost of a DTEK 50 or 60.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-15-17 12:44 PM
    dteks are honestly trash sorry. especially the 50. It's nothing more than the Alcatel idol4 with blackberry security......... Mediocre at best
    09-15-17 04:37 PM
    dteks are honestly trash sorry. especially the 50. It's nothing more than the Alcatel idol4 with blackberry security......... Mediocre at best
    Sounds like sour-grapes, because you didn't get your way exactly. The issue though is one that they might need to consider for the future. With BB10 that wasn't an issue, beause bb10 had longetivity....with Android and Android itself being the problem, because of its rewrite cyles and business model, poses a problem when the phones eventually don't get OS refreshes. Blackberry when it ran its own hardware and os (BB10) handled this problem reasonably (okay very) well on the phone sets, but now it is somewhat at the mercy of Google's whims as far as eol is concerned.

So Blackberry maybe needs to consider down-the-road what to do in liscensing when the phones are made pseudo-obselete (but definitely security-obsolete) because they don't get the latest Android, and Google handling much of the security problems, managing Android and giving old versions unsupported security update end-of-life deadlines.
    Unlocking the phone once it is offically outside of the official support cycle and frying all the Blackberry security allowing vanilla-ish Android bootloads might be an option....the only security remaining is a secure boot that informs the owner of the phone of the un-secure status of that particular handset.
    ....am I off anywhere in this suggestion -- technically?
    09-15-17 05:08 PM
    Sounds like sour-grapes, because you didn't get your way exactly. The issue though is one that they might need to consider for the future. With BB10 that wasn't an issue, beause bb10 had longetivity....with Android and Android itself being the problem, because of its rewrite cyles and business model, poses a problem when the phones eventually don't get OS refreshes. Blackberry when it ran its own hardware and os (BB10) handled this problem reasonably (okay very) well on the phone sets, but now it is somewhat at the mercy of Google's whims as far as eol is concerned.

So Blackberry maybe needs to consider down-the-road what to do in liscensing when the phones are made pseudo-obselete (but definitely security-obsolete) because they don't get the latest Android, and Google handling much of the security problems, managing Android and giving old versions unsupported security update end-of-life deadlines.
    Unlocking the phone once it is offically outside of the official support cycle and frying all the Blackberry security allowing vanilla-ish Android bootloads might be an option....the only security remaining is a secure boot that informs the owner of the phone of the un-secure status of that particular handset.
    ....am I off anywhere in this suggestion -- technically?
    Didn't get my way? It's a trash device, I wouldn't even waste my time on it. I read enough on that whole project. dtek was a test they used the idol4 as the guinea pig and the less than 5000 people that bought it
    09-15-17 05:10 PM
    Didn't get my way? It's a trash device, I wouldn't even waste my time on it. I read enough on that whole project. dtek was a test they used the idol4 as the guinea pig and the less than 5000 people that bought it
    ...once you say "trash" you lose credibility....and pulling sales figures out of the sky double-so...unless you would like to quote your sources?
    09-15-17 05:31 PM
    ...once you say "trash" you lose credibility....and pulling sales figures out of the sky double-so...unless you would like to quote your "reliable" source?
    09-15-17 05:32 PM
    ...once you say "trash" you lose credibility....and pulling sales figures out of the sky double-so...unless you would like to quote your sources?
    Want to pull some sales figures? Are you sure you want to go there? And yes I say trash because that's what the little dtek experiment was. TRASH
    09-15-17 05:34 PM
    Go ahead....what's your source?....the phone isn't, but this conversation is heading there plenty fast, might even arrive there before the next BlackBerry handset is sold, in a moment or two.
    09-15-17 05:38 PM
    Go ahead....what's your source?....the phone isn't, but this conversation is heading there plenty fast, might even arrive there before the next BlackBerry handset is sold, in a moment or two.
    Go ahead and do the darn research yourself the stats are there and don't lie dtek 50 and 60 are as dead as the priv. Move on to Aurora or keyone or any other trap bbmo tcl comes out with
    09-15-17 05:46 PM
    Possibilities are endless if bootloader could be unlocked. I've been experimenting custom rom on my samsung A5 And Micromax all thanks to xda community, it just need a bunch of enthusiastic people to make some, which is difficult but not impossible. One possibility came to my mind while typing this is Cobalt taking responsibility of providing ota for custom rom .. LOL
    Love to see what you have done
    09-15-17 05:47 PM
    Go ahead and do the darn research yourself the stats are there and don't lie dtek 50 and 60 are as dead as the priv. Move on to Aurora or keyone or any other trap bbmo tcl comes out with
    Yeah I thougtht so. "Phantom Sales Figures", "Trash" and "dead"....bait and then switch the conversation. Sorry I've got constructive things to do. Good Luck in figuring out whether what you're trying to acheive is worthy.
    09-15-17 05:58 PM
    Yeah I thougtht so. "Phantom Sales Figures", "Trash" and "dead"....bait and then switch the conversation. Sorry I've got constructive things to do. Good Luck in figuring out whether what you're trying to acheive is worthy.
    09-15-17 05:58 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...x-QJow&ampcf=1
    09-15-17 06:02 PM
    you are really going to make me work for this aren't you

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...cdUSxcFtj_LdUw
    09-15-17 06:02 PM
    it's a dead device, you are asking for a mid grade Alcatel device secured by blackberry to be continued lmfao
    Last edited by SPQR ROMULUS; 09-15-17 at 06:19 PM.
    09-15-17 06:05 PM
    DTEK more alive than Aurora. Besides, PRIV, DTEK, or the Aurora now, aren't we just debating who's tallest midget?
    09-15-17 06:18 PM
    DTEK more alive than Aurora. Besides, PRIV, DTEK, or the Aurora now, aren't we just debating who's tallest midget?
    Dtek 50 and 60 are dead ok why can't anyone deal with it
    09-15-17 06:20 PM
    Dtek 50 and 60 are dead ok why can't anyone deal with it
    And at least Aurora dropped with NOUGAT that should tell you something of the dtek 50 and 60 "project"
    Those buyers were actual lab rats
    09-15-17 06:21 PM
    It dropped with Nougat because it came out six months later. It's not even a TCL device. It's a re-badged Yugo phone...

My point is that it's the same category of the DTEK. It's a re-badged device with the BlackBerry name and software. It's just a similar re-do of a DTEK from a different licensee. It will probably never see an upgrade either.
    09-15-17 06:24 PM
76 1234