09-13-17 08:36 AM
    Your fight isn't with BlackBerry. BlackBerry Mobile is in control of the DTEK50 and DTEK60 now. You'd need to take the fight to them.
    09-13-17 09:34 AM
    09-13-17 10:00 AM
    Signed
    09-13-17 11:02 AM
    Unlock the bootloader?! Lol. So much for security.

And not that there's a chance anyway, but maybe start with asking for Nougat first?
    Rico4you likes this.
    09-13-17 11:06 AM
    09-13-17 12:30 PM
    09-13-17 01:21 PM
    09-13-17 02:11 PM
    09-13-17 02:13 PM
    #Irmacantgetme
    #whereisfiona
    #MichaelWestonisreallyericclapton

Glad you made it through the Hurricane brother.
    Thanks. We came out better than so many around us. Never even lost power and hardwired Internet was only down 18 hours until Spectrum network came back up in the area. Been thinking about my fellow neighbors that are not as fortunate. Still could have been a lot worse here in Tampa Bay area.

I'm slowly getting back to my &¿$\±÷*-+ self but I'll give it another day or so. IRL, this is hurting people that live on the fringe economically so I'm trying my best to be extra nice. Some people are literally in "shock" and don't even realize it, like after 9/11.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-13-17 02:38 PM
    Thanks. We came out better than so many around us. Never even lost power and hardwired Internet was only down 18 hours until Spectrum network came back up in the area. Been thinking about my fellow neighbors that are not as fortunate. Still could have been a lot worse here in Tampa Bay area.

I'm slowly getting back to my &¿$\±÷*-+ self but I'll give it another day or so. IRL, this is hurting people that live on the fringe economically so I'm trying my best to be extra nice. Some people are literally in "shock" and don't even realize it, like after 9/11.
    PTSD, been there, done that, have the T-shirt.
    09-13-17 02:44 PM
    The closest that I've personally experienced were the hurricanes in 04-05. Guess it helped prepare the mind better this go around.

Sorry to derail your thread OP but it probably isn't going anywhere either way.....
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-13-17 02:50 PM
    Did they even sell 1000?
    09-13-17 06:47 PM
    Did they even sell 1000?
    My (complete) guess is 100,000 DTEK50s and 10,000 DTEK60s.
    09-13-17 07:47 PM
    My (complete) guess is 100,000 DTEK50s and 10,000 DTEK60s.
    That's generous.
    09-14-17 06:48 AM
    They sold enough to peak TCL's interest....

I get not being happy about how things turned out with the DTEK line. But they were BlackBerries sold at a point when the CEO was already considering getting out of the hardware business - he said it many times.... that "risk" was known, what did you really expect? (but the story isn't really over yet for the DTEKs)

Same with the KEYone... this is an experiment of a failing "brand" (BlackBerry) and a failing OEM (TCL Communications), to change both their fortunes. If at the end of next year TCL says it didn't work out, are you going to really complain if Android P doesn't make it and the montly updates stop?

Buy the KEYone for what it is (best new PKB phone on the market) and hope of the best, but you really have no one to fault if things don't turn out for the best, as YOU should have known the risk!
    09-14-17 08:13 AM

I get not being happy about how things turned out with the DTEK line. But they were BlackBerries sold at a point when the CEO was already considering getting out of the hardware business - he said it many times.... that "risk" was known, what did you really expect? (but the story isn't really over yet for the DTEKs)

Same with the KEYone... this is an experiment of a failing "brand" (BlackBerry) and a failing OEM (TCL Communications), to change both their fortunes. If at the end of next year TCL says it didn't work out, are you going to really complain if Android P doesn't make it and the montly updates stop?

Buy the KEYone for what it is (best new PKB phone on the market) and hope of the best, but you really have no one to fault if things don't turn out for the best, as YOU should have known the risk!
    Exactly. Early adopters of unproven business models or companies take this risk all the time. If you want rock solid reliability and service, buy from a big, established company.

Those of us buying BlackBerry know the risks. I love my KEYone, and, assuming it gets Oreo, as promised, I'll be very happy. If it's stuck on Nougat, I'll still have use of it for a couple of years. Well worth the gamble.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-14-17 08:23 AM
    Unlock the bootloader?! Lol. So much for security.

And not that there's a chance anyway, but maybe start with asking for Nougat first?
    Interesting thought exercise though....
    .....Have Blackberry build in a burn-out or scrub the bootloader (burn the chip section whatever) and phone, irreversible function ....doable only when out of BlackBerry's scoped support period (like a poison pill a la James Bond...only it doesn't kill the phone)
    ...which on every Boot notify's you this is now a plane Jane phone without BlackBerry's boot security or warranty
    .....though perhaps that in itself would be a security problem, maybe adding a fee to "unlock" not the phone but the security, which BlackBerry would have to do through some encrypted process on verifiable request.
    .....don't know if this would make business sense, but maybe a small revenue stream
    ...and goodwill
    ....and confidence building for purchasers. (especially due to its current market position...gives more eyes to see the product in use)

There probably would be tons of Playbooks still in use if this kind of feature might have been considered.
    09-14-17 10:55 AM
    Do i agree with the petition? Yes, i feel its always nice to allow the community to put forward their word and sometimes it makes a difference in the end but normally it doesn't unless you have over 100K people signing it. I don't have a DTEK device but we all want as many Blackberry devices to be on the latest OS.

Alex Thurber did say in the UTB Blog cast #100 that TCL is working on TWO new devices that will launch with Nougat or Oreo depending on their launch dates. So that might be a subtle hint about "Juno" & "Krypton" and their OS versions. As Bla1ze said in THIS blog post that "it seems pretty unlikely" and that the DTEK series devices were "TCL reference designs to test the reality of whether the licensing model made sense" so if those devices were just a "test" then i wouldn't feel too optimistic about them getting it.

If DTEK50 owners get the upgrade to Nougat, you can just imagine the PRIV owner's faces lol.
    Last edited by Matty; 09-14-17 at 05:58 PM.
    09-14-17 05:44 PM
    It's pique
    09-14-17 06:28 PM
    champagne wishes and caviar dreams
    09-14-17 06:37 PM
    champagne wishes and caviar dreams
    My favorite
    09-14-17 09:10 PM

If DTEK50 owners get the upgrade to Nougat, you can just imagine the PRIV owner's faces lol.
    What about the faces of the IT guys that talked their companies into buying into either the PRIV or DTEKs as a transition from aging BBOS or BB10 devices?

Enterprise is TCL stated Goal.... but I think they are asking a lot if they expect Enterprise to ignore what has happened with the BlackBerry products repeatedly over the last seven years.

If TCL wanted a "fresh start" as and enterprise supplier.... they shouldn't have used the BlackBerry name in the forefront. Or made sure that the brand did everything "it" could to promote a sense of commitment, from the beginning.
    09-15-17 08:51 AM
    dtek was an experiment to see how the two would merge blackberry/ tcl. the dtek 50 was an almost exact clone of the Alcatel idol4. expect the 50 and 60 to meet the same fate of the priv.
    it's all about Aurora and key one now
    09-15-17 08:58 AM
    To be realistic, the number of fleet buyers for the DTEK50 was likely small, and for the DTEK60, almost zero. These phones sold in very small quantities, by most estimates, so the loss of good will among customers for not upgrading to N would likely be limited.

I still think BlackBerry Mobile SHOULD upgrade them to N (or O, if that's just as easy), fwiw, but, from a business standpoint, it's not an imperative.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-15-17 09:08 AM
76 123 ...