We have so many theories_Some Fact some Funny
    They can't develop new BB10 phone due to high cost of device drivers
    They can't develop BB10 due to losses
    They can't advertise because they can't_No money
    The BB10 phone sell was so less so they abandoned it_Blame it on buyers
    They are closing hardware segments
    Oh they are coming with Android
    Android N will have BB10 level security BUT believe that any BBAndroid is secure enough
    Their price is high Coz they want to make profit ? And YeeY It's BlackBerry after all ! no matter what kind.
    They have very few DTEK phones_So let's buy as future antique
    They are making phone_But they have closed their Phone business
    They really don't care for phone business_Still they want to sell it
    India ?? Oh BB don't care_But Still wants to be there
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    India no doubt is one of biggest and steadily growing market,
    But is very price sensitive and conscious.
    And no Indian buys any phone on contract
    So there is high competition in high price segment.
    So many players are selling millions of phones of Rs 7k to 20k
    Few players have entered in to Rs 25-30k slab.
    Above of that is dominated by Samsung, Apple and Sony_Nexus too.
    Samsung makes balance sheet even by offering many Mid-Low range phones. So no one cares how many top end phones they sell.
    Apple is craze so those who don't want Android/Sam buys Apple. And India is only market where Apple is growing. You know ?
    BlackBerry finds no place to fit.
    There are many who may love to buy BB phones but huge communication gap, Lots of perception, lack of support and overpricing breaks any possible deal.
    "They don't need to grow their device business as it is now closed"
    But they still want to sell phone in India via distributor !!
    Why Why Why ? What kind of business is this ?
    11-08-16 07:50 AM
    "They don't need to grow their device business as it is now closed"
    But they still want to sell phone in India via distributor !!
    Why Why Why ? What kind of business is this ?
    It's called a software licencing model going forward.

Someone else will design, manufacture, distribute, market, and support the device. BlackBerry just sells them the software, and allows the use of their name.
    11-08-16 07:54 AM
    It's called a software licencing model going forward.

Someone else will design, manufacture, distribute, market, and support the device. BlackBerry just sells them the software, and allows the use of their name.
    So you want to say that BlackBerry has nothing to do with this.
    And BlackBerry just dont care that how their distributor's are treating their customers,or defaming their name.
    Even though BlackBerry want enough hold in market(software only),but still they dont care.

BlackBerry Z30
    11-08-16 08:07 AM
    In mobile OS only Google doing this. How we all know. BB is no where near. They could have done it with BB10 too.
    Nokia is coming with similar strategy
    BlackBerry is not doing it whole heartily.
    They can not defy market rules with their old and proven flop strategy.
    Right Product Right Price Good Marketing.
    How many rules BB is following ?
    Just the first one i think.
    11-08-16 08:11 AM
    And BlackBerry just dont care that how their distributor's are treating their customers,or defaming their name.
    Even though BlackBerry want enough hold in market(software only),but still they dont care.

BlackBerry Z30
    I'm saying that, going forward, any new device with BlackBerry software and name, will be the total responsibility of a company in your market. This should lead to much better local support.
    11-08-16 08:51 AM
    No doubt Best competitive to iphone 7 in price point
    11-08-16 11:19 AM

BlackBerry Z30
    I'm sure licensing will cover issues that could damage the BlackBerry brand. Marketing, QC, Support... but pricing will be up to the vendors, and it might be that they can't build a phone cheap enough to reach everyone. .
    11-08-16 12:00 PM
    Good Call.

Nice bit of out of the box thinking from Chen too. He's turned the DTEK 50/60 into a "try before you buy" deal.

If the sales demonstrate that there is a demand for the BB logo and the special sauce, then the Indian distributor (and possibly other regional players) is likely to sign-up for a licence. And, regardless of whether the D50/60's sell big or small, BB get to recoup some of their TCL production fees.
    11-08-16 01:52 PM
    I'm sure licensing will cover issues that could damage the BlackBerry brand. Marketing, QC, Support... but pricing will be up to the vendors, and it might be that they can't build a phone cheap enough to reach everyone. .
    Hmmm, I'm not sure that I agree with all of that.

Chen seemed pretty explicit that he wouldn't get involved with - and certainly wouldn't pay for - marketing or support of a licensees phone. I suspect the extent of BB's interest in any licensed product will be to do basic checks prior to signing the licence on the quality of the phone the licensee proposes to build - you're right that BB won't want their name associated with trash - but that's about all that BB will do I reckon.
    11-08-16 02:01 PM
    Our Indians don't have very good impression on blackberry, so people can at least try if price is budget friendly

Those who have already tried and liked bb10 will only go for it but again only those who are not particular about pkb and bb10. I mean only those who are pure BlackBerry fans

For others, it is risky as they don't know anything abt BlackBerry other than knowing it as flop model

If they make the below 20k, it will fall under below 20k models. People who search for phones below 20k might find it interesting and may have a try. Don't understand the logic of fixing the phone price just above 20k

As bb10 is failed, BlackBerry should attract the customers with affordable prices for wider customer section

Posted via CB10
    not sure what is TCL's profit margin...not BBs, but TCL. pricing= cost plus profit margin, plus country tariff (including indian's unique education duty i guess). Apple got all the profit of the smart phone at the moment (104% of the total smartphone field). assume profit margin of TCL is near zero for the BB phone, unless you got negative profit margin, look like low the price is the only way to go (cost, tariff and your education duty plus currentcy exchange rate are not under BB or TCL's control). unless TCL or BB is willing to sell below cost - more they sell, more money they lost (as you want them to "wider customer section"), as a share holder of BB, i definitely would not like that. Better narrow the section and lost less. Dtek is Droid, you mean you don't have good experience with Droid? BB software would definitely have added "experience" with security... since you are willing to go with Chinese phone, I guess security might means little compare to the price... the experience might be better gained stand at shop display to try it out... didn't cost anything i guess... if indian carrier allow you to do so...(some of the store in china not allow to touch the phone unless you want to buy it...).
    11-08-16 06:50 PM
    Its not overpriced its just too overpriced compared to other models as of specs
    11-09-16 03:28 AM
    Isn't the S7Edge listed at 60k (with discounts as low as the high 40s because it's been on the market for a while)?
    The Pixel XL is 67k, and the iPhone 7Plus is 92K.

The DTEK60 at 46k seems about right.
    Spot on,

Don't compare international prices to local pricing as there's importing and transport costs that need to be factored in.

Also in general the Indian population are more inclined towards the cheap brands there like xiaomi etc , price is very important factor for the people there.

I prefer the quality so I don't mind paying the premium.
    11-09-16 03:49 AM
    [QUOTE=Ay sini;12657325]Well, I don't live in India neither do I live in North America but I think the Indians have a point. It's insensitive on BlackBerry's part to keep pricing people away from their phones in that country. This is a time when other manufacturers including Apple are doing all they can in order to get a foothold in India. Here is BlackBerry doing otherwise. I honestly think BlackBerry could have done better with the pricing of the DTEK60 in India . Also, Americans should stop this 'if you don't like it, don't buy it ' comments. If the DTEK60 were to be sold for that price in the USA and Canada, North Americans would definitely cry foul. It is not out of place to express your disappointment with inconsiderate pricing from your favourite brand/company . It only shows that the Indians care enough for BlackBerry to survive.

Posted via CB10[Indian]

I don't Believe that, India in general is a lost market to apple as well,

It's more the reality that India are more about price, their most common cellphones there are xiaomi and some windows as well, plenty low end and mid ranges from Samsung fly there as well,

Apple Sales in Indian are lost as they don't have any pull or market share there,

Honestly speaking, if the phone is over 25 k in that country it's considered over priced and won't sell .

I'm all for that, tough pricing from manufacturers lead to more innovation at a low Cost to the consumer.
    11-09-16 03:58 AM
    Hmmm, I'm not sure that I agree with all of that.

Chen seemed pretty explicit that he wouldn't get involved with - and certainly wouldn't pay for - marketing or support of a licensees phone. I suspect the extent of BB's interest in any licensed product will be to do basic checks prior to signing the licence on the quality of the phone the licensee proposes to build - you're right that BB won't want their name associated with trash - but that's about all that BB will do I reckon.
    I don't think BlackBerry will take care of those... only that they would be covered by the licensing contract. Licensee will be contractually required to provide a level of support for any device they sell for a minimum period... Any marketing would have to follow certain guidelines..... simple contractual precautions not to damage the NAME that just happens to be the same name the company uses.

But I think Chen is wise enough to know that this is a very short term proposition.... that's will probably end up losing someone a lot of money (or he'd keep doing it himself). And that someone isn't going to be BlackBerry this time around.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-09-16 07:10 AM
    Although BlackBerry admitted it, but few here will not admit it now also.

http://indianexpress.com/article/tec...india-4364507/
    Overpriced DTEKs in India...!-img_20161110_003827.png
    Overpriced DTEKs in India...!-img_20161110_003822.png

BlackBerry Z30
    11-09-16 01:11 PM
    Although BlackBerry admitted it, but few here will not admit it now also.

http://indianexpress.com/article/tec...india-4364507/

BlackBerry Z30
    I think everyone knows that the Priv was too expensive in every market.
    11-09-16 01:35 PM
    BlackBerry only made a limited number of DTEK devices. There is no reason for them to price them low when they will sell eventually. Nor are they trying to establish a market, as they have already closed their device business.
    Let's not forget our 14.5% VAT that slaps another 5k onto a 40k phone and not many ppl buy BBs over here anymore. The people who want them have to suffer due to demand Vs Supply...
    11-09-16 02:48 PM
    Let's not forget our 14.5% VAT that slaps another 5k onto a 40k phone and not many ppl buy BBs over here anymore. The people who want them have to suffer due to demand Vs Supply...
    But it's not a 40K phone.
    Many people don't buy because of BlackBerry's wonderful pricing.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Jayasheelan likes this.
    11-09-16 09:50 PM
    I think everyone knows that the Priv was too expensive in every market.

Clearly you have no idea about BlackBerry position in Indian Market. BlackBerry service centre is been closed in few states, so if the phone have some problems where should we go?? And why would people here buy BlackBerry phones when they have no better service centre or to solve their small issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-16 11:59 PM
    Clearly you have no idea about BlackBerry position in Indian Market. BlackBerry service centre is been closed in few states, so if the phone have some problems where should we go?? And why would people here buy BlackBerry phones when they have no better service centre or to solve their small issues.

Posted via CB10
    People and their problems.

Blackberry have never had any service centres in my country or anywhere near and their phones are never released here either, doesn't stop me from buying them though.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 12:45 AM
    So just get any other Android phone and get the Hub+ suite. Easy and you save money, and a bad mood.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-10-16 01:23 AM
    But it's not a 40K phone.
    Many people don't buy because of BlackBerry's wonderful pricing.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    It is a 40k phone. In India that is. It might be 30k elsewhere but over here it's 40 with a lot of tax added
    11-10-16 02:19 AM
    It's like BlackBerry is showing attitude ' buy it or leave it ' because they don't care as if they have 98% of market in their hand

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 02:33 AM
    It is a 40k phone. In India that is. It might be 30k elsewhere but over here it's 40 with a lot of tax added
    I mean it's not a 40K phone without tax.
    Conversion comes to around 33K. So with tax it should have been around 40K. Not 46K

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    11-10-16 03:51 AM
    The DTEK60 is very over priced in India but why it is over priced is because of 3 primary reasons. DTEK60 costs around 500$ in the US ex VAT which comes up to $500 * 68 Rs per $ = Rs 34000. To bring it to India the company has to pay Import Duty + VAT + Optiemus will charge its margins i.e. its charges to distribute the devices in India. So approx. Rs 34000 + 15% duty i.e. Import + 12.5% VAT + Optiemus Margins adds upto Rs 47000/- of which I am guessing their margins are Rs 2850/- per device.

I am not sure about the whole numbers but I tried to figure out the whole thing which I thought I should try and order it from the Selfridges store in the UK which might be cheaper because they say they won't charge UK VAT. So their device will be sold at Ex VAT i.e. 395 pounds + duty of 60 pounds and then delivery fees of 25 pounds to India which comes up to 481 in total which when converted to INR is cheaper than buying in India. The final amount was Rs 42500/- + or -
    11-10-16 05:20 AM
160 ... 23456 ...