Why most serious companies aren't buying Dtek50 to replace their ios and android and let BlackBerry survive again. ???

Posted via CB10
    Budget and buying/renewal cycles vary greatly. My wife works for one of the major Canadian banks. She was recently told she has to give up her Torch (yes, a 9800) as the company will no longer support BB OS devices. Six weeks ago when she received the first notice, available options were the Classic, Leap, iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. Just this week, it was updated to offer the Classic, Priv, iPhone 6S or 6S Plus. See the pattern? The DTEK's will likely be an option in next year's cycle.
    11-05-16 07:46 PM
    I loved my Q10 and Classic as well. I just feel that BlackBerry, with the Dtek 60 and 50, is trying to compete with the likes of Huawei, OnePlus, MotoZ, ZTE(your cheap Chinese phones) and the people buying these phones are mostly caring about price or want some nice actual features/specs (speakers on Axon, 6 GB ram, superior camera,...) and not just service or security as a reason for raise

Posted via CB10
    Yes because they are trying to compete with them. The difference is those do not have security which to some is a plus. If you like cheaper Chinese products go for it bb is not trying to fight those. They want the people who cares about not being rooted.
    11-06-16 01:00 AM
    This whole specs race seems crazy to me. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't notice a considerable difference in the speed of the devices. I have a phone on android, ios and bb10 and they all work just fine.

Sure I'm interested in different platforms and that's why I test each out and go through quite a few phones but I still love bb10 for what it offers. It does everything I need it to. With that being said so does ios and android. Now I'm not consuming a ton of media or editing things so maybe I would want higher specs for that but I don't see myself ever doing that on a phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 08:43 AM
    The problem I see here it's that you are giving an opinion based on your experience, but in reality you don't know what will happen... giving an opinion as statement without any support than your personal experience won't make it stronger...

True. May be the build quality of the device is not as premium as BlackBerry but surely it has more brand recognition then BlackBerry. Apart from Crackberry or few sites Maximum thinks BlackBerry is dead. Out of Game.

How long will they support Android?? A year max to max.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 09:07 AM
    this has been BBs problems for the past few years. All the specs are woefully lacking from the newest androids and how can we expect the dteks to keep up?
    You should actually look at the dtek60 specs. They keep up just fine especially given the price.
    Last edited by ray689; 11-06-16 at 10:25 AM.
    La Emperor likes this.
    11-06-16 09:52 AM
    The differential between the DTEK60 and the name-brand products with similar specs is enormous. Compare against the S7, for example; it's a couple hundred bucks!

That's a huge difference and yet on specs its a comparable product. Yes, there are small differences either way, but on-balance for $200 less -- that's a 40% upcharge for the S7 -- it's a steal.

The DTEK50 is also well-priced, but phones in that tier have too many compromises for me. The DTEK60 does not.
    My wife has an S4, and Samsung support is not very stellar. They do not push out the security updates the way Blackberry is doing. They tend to basically abandon their older models fairly quickly.

Then again Blackberry and BB10...
    11-06-16 10:00 AM
    If nothing else, BlackBerry should be credited for bringing the issue of timely security updates to the forefront of consumer awareness. Press coverage of a couple malware threats also helps. The questions are now being asked openly of phone makers: what are you doing to support your platform? Google is reportedly getting frustrated with laggards giving their OS a bad name. The fact that Google and BB work hand in hand can only be good for BB, but it will eventually lead to other manufacturers stepping up to the plate. By then, BB had better have a new, better Unique Selling Proposition.

They should receive credit where it's due, but lets hope they don't sit on their laurels again. If the current media and Google push continues to bring security patch frequency to the minds of consumers, then OnePlus, Samsung, LG and all the others will be shamed into providing the same frequency if they want to stay competitive.

https://threatpost.com/android-fragm...-gains/121224/
    11-06-16 10:37 AM
    I can't help but chuckle when I hear, "supported by BlackBerry ".

After being repeatedly stabbed in the back by BlackBerry, people are still being led like sheep to slaughter.

The definition of insanity is: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    Posted via CB10
    Well, I doubt anyone is getting slaughtered but I'm cautiously optimistic about the value I'm getting from the dteck 60 and I've been pretty hard on BB lately. I received it in a timely manner, it looks and feels great. It's working as advertised in the 2 days that I've had it and the BlackBerry software suite is not gimmicky, it really adds functionality in a smart way.

The 6s+ I have feels like a brick by comparison who's only redeeming quality at the moment is imessage..

I'll cut BlackBerry some slack on the specs because It's 30-40% cheaper than a Pixel XL or an iPhone 7+ but when you use it it feels like it performs at the same level as the other two. .........and it has expandable storage.

-could i use an iPhone 7 + for the next 2 years? It might be hard for me because of the unwieldy feeling I get from the iPhone+ series.

-could I use a Pixel XL for the next 2 years? Most likely

-could I keep this dteck for the next 2 years? Most definitely.

What's not to like?
    La Emperor likes this.
    11-06-16 11:18 AM
    We are talking about customers that are considering DTEK60 and other Chinese devices. Recognition is already established.
    Aren't all mobile devices Chinese devices? If you think otherwise you have not done your research. Just because a iPhone is designed in the USA does not exclude it from being manufactured in China.
    Also, where is absolutely almost every part of the hardware made prior to being put into any mobile phone? China, South Korea, Indonesia etc.
    What matters completely is the software on the device and build quality.
    No phone is fully manufactured including all parts in a non asian country.

Everyone needs to stop whining about Chinese devices because they all are or mostly are.
    11-06-16 11:29 AM
    To the OP, the oneplus 3T is coming out with better specs and far a cheaper price than even the S7 and the pixel also. Why are you not scared for those phones too? Why does BlackBerry always get the kick?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 12:00 PM
    Aren't all mobile devices Chinese devices? If you think otherwise you have not done your research. Just because a iPhone is designed in the USA does not exclude it from being manufactured in China.
    Also, where is absolutely almost every part of the hardware made prior to being put into any mobile phone? China, South Korea, Indonesia etc.
    What matters completely is the software on the device and build quality.
    No phone is fully manufactured including all parts in a non asian country.

Everyone needs to stop whining about Chinese devices because they all are or mostly are.
    You're missing my point. I'm talking about where the product support comes from. BlackBerry, Samsung, Apple, etc have significant support infrastructure in NA.

So although the DTEK60 is also built in China, it is unlike most of the other stuff coming from there.
    11-06-16 12:03 PM
    If nothing else, BlackBerry should be credited for bringing the issue of timely security updates to the forefront of consumer awareness. Press coverage of a couple malware threats also helps. The questions are now being asked openly of phone makers: what are you doing to support your platform? Google is reportedly getting frustrated with laggards giving their OS a bad name. The fact that Google and BB work hand in hand can only be good for BB, but it will eventually lead to other manufacturers stepping up to the plate. By then, BB had better have a new, better Unique Selling Proposition.

They should receive credit where it's due, but lets hope they don't sit on their laurels again. If the current media and Google push continues to bring security patch frequency to the minds of consumers, then OnePlus, Samsung, LG and all the others will be shamed into providing the same frequency if they want to stay competitive.

https://threatpost.com/android-fragm...-gains/121224/
    This i agree with. They are doing a good job with monthly security releases. Something only the nexus/pixel devices got before. More companies, including oneplus are getting better at this but still not monthly like BB and Google. My oneplus is month behind and my Sony i think is also one month behind. So this is an area if you want to have the latest monthly security update where BB and Google will still rule.
    GendelPrime likes this.
    11-06-16 12:54 PM
    OP, you might as well write "DTEK60 will fail because {name of cheap Chinese phone} is coming out with better specs for less."

You pay a bit more for real support, updates, and a name brand.

There will always be a cheaper phone. However, I think the DTEK50/60s are priced well.
    This...

Blackberry (or any non chinese company) will never be able to compete with the chinese regarding price/performance. Dtek has advantages over Oneplus, and has to target for the people that value Blackberry core advantages
    11-06-16 06:23 PM
    True. May be the build quality of the device is not as premium as BlackBerry but surely it has more brand recognition then BlackBerry. Apart from Crackberry or few sites Maximum thinks BlackBerry is dead. Out of Game.

How long will they support Android?? A year max to max.

Posted via CB10
    I own a OnePlus One and a Priv. The build quality of my OnePlus One is superior than the Priv. It's literally the best phone I've ever owned.
    LeKeiser likes this.
    11-06-16 10:43 PM
    Agreed. How often do those other phone get updates i wonder
    CyanogenMod continues to officially support the OnePlus line, so there's an update everyday for those OnePlus users who dump Oxygen OS.
    11-06-16 10:57 PM
    I own a OnePlus One and a Priv. The build quality of my OnePlus One is superior than the Priv. It's literally the best phone I've ever owned.
    The one plus one camera is utter trash. Like literally worse than the z10....its also got a low res screen, and is mainly plastic......your opinion here is pretty questionable..
    11-06-16 11:00 PM
    Yes because they are trying to compete with them. The difference is those do not have security which to some is a plus. If you like cheaper Chinese products go for it bb is not trying to fight those. They want the people who cares about not being rooted.
    I can't speak for the other devices listed, but I can guarantee you my OnePlus One has better security than the Dtek. I can provide evidence if you're interested.
    11-06-16 11:07 PM
    but I can guarantee you my OnePlus One has better security than the Dtek. I can provide evidence if you're interested.
    ROTFLMFAO

Good lord....
    11-06-16 11:13 PM
    The one plus one camera is utter trash. Like literally worse than the z10....its also got a low res screen, and is mainly plastic......your opinion here is pretty questionable..
    Check my catalog here, I'm never questionable. If you zoom in on my screen shots, you can read my computer screen clearly. If anyone's eye is capable of distinguishing resolutions above 480, you're either a liar or have bionic eyes. And other than an iPhone, what phones out there aren't mostly plastic?

One Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478495588336.jpgOne Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478495609610.jpgOne Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478495616178.jpgOne Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478495629071.jpgOne Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478495635680.jpgOne Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478495793062.jpg
    11-06-16 11:19 PM
    ROTFLMFAO

Good lord....
    Holla back when you can get Google Play Services to ask for your permission to do anything on your device. One Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478496674285.jpgOne Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478496680501.jpgOne Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478496685386.jpgOne Plus 3T vs DTEK60-1478496690486.jpg
    zocster likes this.
    11-06-16 11:31 PM
    The thing is that the competition has got really advanced as compared to bb and it will take a while for them to catch up with phones such as Samsung and iPhone
    11-07-16 06:25 AM
    Which stands DTEK 60 VS OP3 T; Security VS Specs ?
    11-07-16 07:18 AM
    Holla back when you can get Google Play Services to ask for your permission to do anything on your device. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1478496674285.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	411533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1478496680501.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	411534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1478496685386.jpg 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	411535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1478496690486.jpg 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	411536
    @Mecca I noticed Google play services read you contacts 330,024 times and your SMS 3,261,710 times as well.
    11-07-16 07:39 AM
    This is interesting... I know this crackberrian used to be a BlackBerry fan, and now I see he is happy with another brand, which is great... I like what he mentioned regarding permission control over Google PS access but, as you noticed, at the same time it's reporting a whooping amount of access to sms and contacts...

@Mecca I noticed Google play services read you contacts 330,024 times and your SMS 3,261,710 times as well.
    11-07-16 08:17 AM
    I save a backup to Google. I allow it to do so, it doesn't happen on it's own.
    11-07-16 10:51 AM
108 12345