10-30-17 07:35 PM
276 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Conite, you'll probably know this. Why would the Priv still be receiving the monthly updates but not the Dteks which are newer devices? Especially as all three are on the same OS. Seems odd to me as a layman.
    The whole thing is odd right now.

Why is the DTEK50 only receiving the update through Canadian carriers and not directly for factory-unlocked devices?

I just don't know.
    07-12-17 06:53 AM
    By now, Blackberry could have started to push Android 8.x to its devices. I don't need Nougat anymore, when Android O has its footstep in the door already....

everytime when i buy a new phone, i think about who is fast with updates....

started with Galaxy S2 - ended with custom ROM to Android 5.1.x

continued with Moto X (2014) - ended with custom ROM to Android 7.1.2 but with 16gb memory and no sd-card slot barely useless with recent apps eating up memory...

so Blackberry Dtek60 sounded like a really good deal. We have Blackberrys here in our Company with BB 10.3 and they are working pretty good. So i relied on the promise with recent updates (security and master Android OS revisions)

so this time I cannot use a custom ROM so either they provide their promised updates or i'm going to sell it and try to go the way to google direct. However a phone for almost 1000 Euro with no expandable memory slot is not worth to get updates in a blink of an eye....

so lets see what August brings us...or not
    07-12-17 06:53 AM
    Why do you think a flop? Us fans don't matter enough to make a success either way..
    DTEK50 and 60 were flops, 70 won't fair any better, even less because previous buyers of the 50/60 don't want to get burned again.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    07-12-17 06:56 AM
    Conite, you'll probably know this. Why would the Priv still be receiving the monthly updates but not the Dteks which are newer devices? Especially as all three are on the same OS. Seems odd to me as a layman.
    I am guessing and Conite would know better, but Priv is Blackberry, DTEK60 is TCL... Blackberry are running down that part of the business and TCL are no longer involved as they have created BBMobile which is a sub of TCL... if that makes sense, so I think the DTEK60 has fallen between the transition of BB closing and BBMobile being created.

The way I look at it is BB gave TCL a chance to prove what they could do while it closed its own hardware side of things, then they liked the result and allowed TCL to create BB Mobile and the K1 was born... but the DTEK does not really sit in any camp now.

Or it could just be down to numbers, DTEK50 are receiving updates so maybe its down to the volume of handsets out there, the 50 where more geared to business users so maybe they are concerned about affecting a larger consumer base compared to the 60's.
    07-12-17 06:59 AM
    I am guessing and Conite would know better, but Priv is Blackberry, DTEK60 is TCL... Blackberry are running down that part of the business and TCL are no longer involved as they have created BBMobile which is a sub of TCL... if that makes sense, so I think the DTEK60 has fallen between the transition of BB closing and BBMobile being created.

The way I look at it is BB gave TCL a chance to prove what they could do while it closed its own hardware side of things, then they liked the result and allowed TCL to create BB Mobile and the K1 was born... but the DTEK does not really sit in any camp now.

Or it could just be down to numbers, DTEK50 are receiving updates so maybe its down to the volume of handsets out there, the 50 where more geared to business users so maybe they are concerned about affecting a larger consumer base compared to the 60's.
    TCL only acted as a hardware vendor to BlackBerry on the DTEKs. So I don't think that explains it.

What might explain it, is that TCL is about to unveil a new slab device.

Or BlackBerry is simply fumbling about and is just plain late.
    07-12-17 07:03 AM
    But I thought BlackBerry is a software company now. After all they brought the Hub + to other Android devices didn't they? Just seems natural they would upgrade the software on their branded devices to me. Make it happen BlackBerry.......
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-12-17 07:13 AM
    But I thought BlackBerry is a software company now. After all they brought the Hub + to other Android devices didn't they? Just seems natural they would upgrade the software on their branded devices to me. Make it happen BlackBerry.......
    This is the problem Blackberry software is not the same as BBMobile, BBMobile is TCL... the argument (which I disagree with) is that BBMobile has no impact on BB Software and vice versa, but for me less educated people will not believe their is a difference... its just all Blackberry.

If you look at TCL website: TCL Communication Technology Holdings Limited thats BBMobile, mo mention of BB Software... its a bit like the Google Pixel, software by Goolge but hardware by HTC.
    07-12-17 07:21 AM
    I agree, and I say the DTEK series will get Android 7, maybe even the priv, they already have it for the key1. Which might explain the delays in the security patches.
    07-12-17 07:23 AM
    I agree, and I say the DTEK series will get Android 7, maybe even the priv, they already have it for the key1. Which might explain the delays in the security patches.
    The problem is which brand, the Priv is made by one company, DTEK by another and K1 by another... I think this is the problem and part of the confusion, the business is in transition, when you say BB are a software company does that meant the OS or its APPs and other software... I would say it does not include Google's OS which is what all of the above phones use.
    07-12-17 07:29 AM
    The problem is which brand, the Priv is made by one company, DTEK by another and K1 by another... I think this is the problem and part of the confusion, the business is in transition, when you say BB are a software company does that meant the OS or its APPs and other software... I would say it does not include Google's OS which is what all of the above phones use.
    There is no difference between the Priv and the DTEKs. They are all 100% BlackBerry. One is built by Wistron, and the others by TCL.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is 100% TCL.
    07-12-17 07:42 AM
    The whole thing is odd right now.

Why is the DTEK50 only receiving the update through Canadian carriers and not directly for factory-unlocked devices?

I just don't know.
    Conite who releases the OS and Security updates for the phones, TCL (BBMobile) or Blackberry software?
    07-12-17 07:45 AM
    There is no difference between the Priv and the DTEKs. They are all 100% BlackBerry. One is built by Wistron, and the others by TCL.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is 100% TCL.
    The Keyone is BB Mobile, TCL does not trade as a business, if you check their website TCL Communication Technology Holdings Limited its either TCL Mobile, Alcatel or BBMobile and as you have stated in previous posts BBMobile only device to date is the K1... this is the blurred line between what is TCL and what is BBMobile with the added complication of what is BB Software.

If I remember correctly Alcatel allowed the derivative of their Idol phone to be used, so the DTEKs could be seen from a hardware point of view as part of the Alcatel Mobile division.

Long term I can see it working in the same manner as Google Pixel which has Google OS and Apps built by HTC... so BBMobile hardware, BB Apps and borrowed Google OS.
    07-12-17 07:48 AM
    Security and OS updates depends on BlackBerry, the software company. I don't understand how does it matters who built the hardware, os is by BlackBerry so they are the one who handle it, right?
    chi-town311 likes this.
    07-12-17 10:28 AM
    Conite who releases the OS and Security updates for the phones, TCL (BBMobile) or Blackberry software?
    BlackBerry releases them for their devices (Priv and DTEKs), and also provides updates to their licencees (BlackBerry Mobile and PT BB Merah Putih) for them to release it to their customers.
    07-12-17 10:34 AM
    I will blame TCL in that case.
    I will place the blame where it belongs... on johnny for his poorly negotiated licensing agreement... the ultimate last straw before grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.
    07-12-17 10:35 AM
    I will place the blame where it belongs... on johnny for his poorly negotiated licensing agreement... the ultimate last straw before grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.
    Of course you will.

You would also blame him for your stubbed toe.

Btw, when has BlackBerry ever been closer to "victory" than now since maybe 2009?
    07-12-17 10:37 AM
    Of course you will.

You would also blame him for your stubbed toe.

Btw, when has BlackBerry ever been closer to "victory" than now since maybe 2009?
    Easy answer... late 2013 and 2014. Had the best slab of the day... finally matured and bug free OS... and the most unique device ever in the Passport.

All of which johnny purposely chose to squander.

And don't start with the "... he did the only thing he could..." argument.

Any CEO worth his salt as a comeback artist would have been able to negotiate those opportunistic waters... and johnny should simply have been CFO for such a true visionary.
    07-12-17 10:44 AM
    BlackBerry releases them for their devices (Priv and DTEKs), and also provides updates to their licencees (BlackBerry Mobile and PT BB Merah Putih) for them to release it to their customers.
    Ah ok, I was confused when you said you would blame TCL if the updates stopped for the K1, I thought that meant TCL (BB Mobile) was responsible for updates, which then would mean in terms of the DTEK60 who would be responsible... but you mean they are passed the update from BB Software and then its up to them to release to the K1.
    07-12-17 10:44 AM
    Security and OS updates depends on BlackBerry, the software company. I don't understand how does it matters who built the hardware, os is by BlackBerry so they are the one who handle it, right?
    Technically it isn't BB OS its a borrowed / adapted version of Google's and according to the post from conite although the update it developed by Blackberry Software it is still down to the manufacturer to push out the updates... so it is very relevant who manufacturers the phone, from a DTEK60 point of view its gets more complicated than it does for the K1, so this could be part of the reason we are missing two months and only had 1 out of the last 4... I would suggest the K1 will not have that issue.
    07-12-17 10:47 AM
    Easy answer... late 2013 and 2014. Had the best slab of the day... finally matured and bug free OS... and the most unique device ever in the Passport.

All of which johnny purposely chose to squander.

And don't start with the "... he did the only thing he could..." argument.

Any CEO worth his salt as a comeback artist would have been able to negotiate those opportunistic waters... and johnny should simply have been CFO for such a true visionary.
    Except by summer of 2013, BB10 was already declared dead by the BoD as no developers came onboard, device returns were stacking up, and the company was put up for sale.

After no takers, Chen (software guy) was specifically hired to soft-land the device business, exhaust component commitments and corporate device contracts, and build up software.

He has done exactly that, and maintains the confidence of the BoD and Prem.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    07-12-17 10:49 AM
    Except by summer of 2013, BB10 was already declared dead by the BoD as no developers came onboard, device returns were stacking up, and the company was put up for sale.

After no takers, Chen (software guy) was specifically hired to soft-land the device business, exhaust component commitments and corporate device contracts, and build up software.

I have to reluctantly agree with this, I still think the passport is the best BB phone, just awesome... but BB OS was dead. I was looking around at a new phone as I still believe that the DTEK60 is also EOL now (hope I am wrong as I love this phone as well) and looking at the OS available I was a little shocked that Microsoft also seems like a dead OS for mobiles now, CPW only had 1 device from HP, so if a business like MS who bought Nokia can not make a dent in the IOS / Android world then a failing BB10 would not either.
    07-12-17 11:00 AM

If you call being completely out of business by FY2019 a "soft landing" ... then so be it.

I call that a failure.

Many, including me, have already purchased their last device with a BlackBerry logo on it.

The enterprise fantasy is already dying on the vine... which will become clearer over next two quarters.

I don't put such failure in the success basket.

I'll be back to confirm my prediction approximately before FY2019.
    07-12-17 11:07 AM
    If you call being completely out of business by FY2019 a "soft landing" ... then so be it.

I call that a failure.

Many, including me, have already purchased their last device with a BlackBerry logo on it.

The enterprise fantasy is already dying on the vine... which will become clearer over next two quarters.

I don't put such failure in the success basket.

I'll be back to confirm my prediction approximately before FY2019.
    I semi agree that the business we know (and love) will be gone and out of the mobile market sooner rather than later and I think that is JC's plan... but I kinda see it being bought by someone for its security products and knowledge, probably a more business focus operation like Oracle... but for sure I think the mobile BB will be gone, have you seen the thread for the screen issues in the K1 forum, people waiting weeks if not months for resolutions, for BB Mobile to have such an issue on their big launch is not good, I was going to look at switching but it just puts me off.
    07-12-17 11:26 AM
    Double post
    07-12-17 11:49 AM
    Not true.... Bbmobile doesn't send the patches out to the phones BlackBerry does.
    07-12-17 11:49 AM
276 ... 678910 ...