I believe strongly in Capitalism and Free Enterprise. I don't believe there is anything wrong in profit motive that requires consumers to only get what's in the fine print...that's why it exists, to clearly lay out corporate obligations.

Not excuses. It's part of the foundation of what I believe makes the greatest country on the planet. Freedom of choice....
    I believe strongly... likely more strongly than you... for intimate reasons that are mine alone.

I do NOT believe in corporate skulduggery. And a lie is a lie... when the purposeful intent is to make someone believe other than your true intent.

That's what I teach my kids... and the same applies in business... even more so in a capitalist system.
    07-12-17 08:42 PM
    Conite, you'll probably know this. Why would the Priv still be receiving the monthly updates but not the Dteks which are newer devices? Especially as all three are on the same OS. Seems odd to me as a layman.
    I'm no Conite, but I would guess that the reason is that a lot more people bought the PRIV than the DTEKs. Still not a lot of people. But maybe more. So it gets priority... just a guess
    07-12-17 08:48 PM
    I'm no Conite, but I would guess that the reason is that a lot more people bought the PRIV than the DTEKs. Still not a lot of people. But maybe more. So it gets priority... just a guess
    The real mystery is why the DTEK50 Jun patch is only been released through locked Canadian carriers and some other unlocked channels (like Staples), but NOT for shopblackberry devices.
    07-12-17 08:53 PM
    If PT BB Merah Putih can get the Aurora approved by BlackBerry, then BlackBerry's "brand control" is a rubber stamp.

If I get burned by TCL, I will blame TCL.
    But BlackBerry does the updates. The whole point of all of our complaints are the updates. If BlackBerry can't handle updates on their phones and has already faltered on their licensed products, why are you so sure they will provide better service?

What is it that you know? Or do you just not care that they provide bad support and have shown an inability to meet their commitments?
    07-12-17 09:06 PM
    If BlackBerry can't handle updates on their phones and has already faltered on their licensed products, why are you so sure they will provide better service?
    Because they now have contractual obligations to do so.

BlackBerry is pushing not only security patches but major bug fixes for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ now, so I'm not prepared to say they are faltering yet. We'll need a few months before we can make that determination.
    07-12-17 09:13 PM
    I believe strongly in Capitalism and Free Enterprise. I don't believe there is anything wrong in profit motive that requires consumers to only get what's in the fine print...that's why it exists, to clearly lay out corporate obligations.

Not excuses. It's part of the foundation of what I believe makes the greatest country on the planet. Freedom of choice....
    I don't read many software agreements, but do you think the fine print ever says that software companies are obligated to provide software updates? Is apple obligated to give the iPhone 6 iOS 11?

I would bet my life that it isn't in any fine print. They do it because it's what the customers want, what they expect, and they think that those customers will eventually buy more products from them.

The point is consumers have expectations. Some are reasonable, such as expecting a company to provide promised patches as well as OS updates that are generally provided to phones sold by competitors at the same price point.

If consumers don't get what they expect they will leave. Exercise their freedom of choice.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-12-17 09:19 PM
    Because they now have contractual obligations to do so.

BlackBerry is pushing not only security patches but major bug fixes for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ now, so I'm not prepared to say they are faltering yet. We'll need a few months before we can make that determination.
    Contractual obligations... hahaha and what's the penalty for a default? Do they get spanked? Maybe they get grounded?
    07-12-17 09:21 PM
    Contractual obligations... hahaha and what's the penalty for a default? Do they get spanked? Maybe they get grounded?
    They don't get paid, and are open for litigation?
    07-12-17 09:22 PM
    I don't read many software agreements, but do you think the fine print ever says that software companies are obligated to provide software updates? Is apple obligated to give the iPhone 6 iOS 11?

I would bet my life that it isn't in any fine print. They do it because it's what the customers want, what they expect, and they think that those customers will eventually buy more products from them.

The point is consumers have expectations. Some are reasonable, such as expecting a company to provide promised patches as well as OS updates that are generally provided to phones sold by competitors at the same price point.

If consumers don't get what they expect they will leave. Exercise their freedom of choice.
    Which always goes back to BB doesn't care if you leave. They feel they have more to keep than lose. If you don't buy a BBMo device, that's BBMo problem unless BBMo wants to pay for updates to old devices they didn't sell to begin with. They've each been paid by the other already for there part. I seriously doubt either side cares who leaves over PRIV or DTEK. Both companies are moving forward on the planned road to dollars. They're not worried about picking up pennies. Even if they're wrong about dollars, neither wants the pennies.
    07-12-17 09:35 PM
    There's not many dollars out there for anything with Blackberry Label. The loyal customers are leaving in droves because of the history. Not many new will come only the one's conned into it by the salespeople. The majority of people don't even know Blackberry still has a phone. Most people will laugh and giggle when you tell them you bought or still using Blackberry.

I was in the Telus store recently going over my plan and the sales rep told me he steers potential buyers away from anything with Blackberry Label. He doesn't want any disgruntled customer coming back blaming him for poor decision because of the history of Blackberry Label.
    07-12-17 09:52 PM
    I sure hope the Dtek60 gets Nougat, if not this one could be the last Blackberry for me, never thought I would say this after owning 10 Berries since Z10.
    Like what has been said earlier the Pixel 2 is looking pretty tempting right now, even though the BlackBerry may be cheaper in price the other phones have a longer life with software updates. TCL and Blackberry should rethink what they are doing to future sales. Do the Nougat update for Dtek phones.
    tubularbell likes this.
    07-12-17 11:40 PM
    When O is about to release, I can really wait another 6 -8 month to get it rather than getting N and be stuck with it forever. Hope BlackBerry thinks same for their customers.
    07-13-17 01:51 AM

That's fine, so long as they get what is in the fine print.
    I believe that 'monthly security updates, delivered to you faster than any other provider' is part of the 'fine print' and is NOT being delivered...
    As for making a 7 month old phone 'legacy' that's not really on either...Yet BB seem to be happy to do both...
    Capitalism and free enterprise is OK, RIPPING OFF CUSTOMERS to profit the shareholders?? NO WAY!!
    07-13-17 05:18 AM
    The real mystery is why the DTEK50 Jun patch is only been released through locked Canadian carriers and some other unlocked channels (like Staples), but NOT for shopblackberry devices.
    Maybe BB have a 'contractual obligation' to the Canadian carriers, but not to those who bought shopBB because shopBB apparently 'no longer exists' and therefore they can 'screw' us, but not the carrier??
    07-13-17 05:23 AM
    dtek60 RIP
    No android 7
    No updates
    No support

Crazy thats BB do not want to hear the community
    07-13-17 05:25 AM
    I believe strongly... likely more strongly than you... for intimate reasons that are mine alone.

I do NOT believe in corporate skulduggery. And a lie is a lie... when the purposeful intent is to make someone believe other than your true intent.

That's what I teach my kids... and the same applies in business... even more so in a capitalist system.
    I agree when teaching kids regarding ethics or morals. However, a corporation, technically, has neither..... That's why contracts exist and you have recourse if contract not met... File a lawsuit in small claims if you feel that strongly.
    07-13-17 08:02 AM
    I agree when teaching kids regarding ethics or morals. However, a corporation, technically, has neither..... That's why contracts exist and you have recourse if contract not met... File a lawsuit in small claims if you feel that strongly.
    So you think Apple and Samsung became who they are by tricking customers through fine print?

Wow!!

I guess I'm not interested in further debate with such assumptions.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-13-17 08:13 AM
    So you think Apple and Samsung became who they are by tricking customers through fine print?

Wow!!

I guess I'm not interested in further debate with such assumptions.
    They became what they are by maximizing shareholder return. The only room for ethics in a company is if they feel they can leverage it for competitive advantage.
    07-13-17 08:27 AM
    This one could be the last Blackberry for me.

Like what has been said earlier the Pixel 2 is looking pretty tempting right now, even though the BlackBerry may be cheaper in price the other phones have a longer life with software updates. TCL and Blackberry should rethink what they are doing to future sales. Do the Nougat update for Dtek phones.
    Agree. In fact I'm having a hard time finding a single significant reason to keep the Dtek60 rather than buy the Pixel2, now that I can use the BlackBerry Hub and any other BlackBerry software add-ons that I choose to add. Moreover I personally now use, and prefer, the Nova launcher and the Gboard keyboard to the BlackBerry versions.
    07-13-17 01:31 PM
    Nothing I read here is tempting me away from my ever so slightly cranky Z30.
    When Chen says, ' security to match BB10', does he mean the woefully outdated, neglected and glitchy 10.3.3 we have at the moment, or what the OS could be with a bit of work?
    The only phone that I would look at in the current crop is the Dtek60, but if the same apathy that sunk BB10, the best OS ever is plaguing the the Driod offerings, it would appear to be a frying pan to fire deal from day one.

Posted via CB10
    xRuhRohx likes this.
    07-13-17 02:34 PM
    Just wasted an hour or my life watching the CB podcast. The official word Kevin received from BlackBerry about the DTEK series getting nougat was......... buy a Key1, and as far as the missed updates...... they are busy with the key1.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    07-13-17 07:04 PM
    Nothing I read here is tempting me away from my ever so slightly cranky Z30.
    When Chen says, ' security to match BB10', does he mean the woefully outdated, neglected and glitchy 10.3.3 we have at the moment, or what the OS could be with a bit of work?
    The only phone that I would look at in the current crop is the Dtek60, but if the same apathy that sunk BB10, the best OS ever is plaguing the the Driod offerings, it would appear to be a frying pan to fire deal from day one.

Posted via CB10
    FYI, I used and loved the Z30. Best BlackBerry ever, imo. Then I moved to the Dtek60 and I loved the liberation from the dead end BlackBerry OS. I highly recommend it.

(Btw I then briefly tried the Priv, but the pkb sucked, so I went back to the Dtek60. Then I briefly tried the Keyone and the screen sucked compared to the Dtek60, so I returned again to the Dtek60).
    graylingboy likes this.
    07-13-17 08:54 PM
    FYI, I used and loved the Z30. Best BlackBerry ever, imo. Then I moved to the Dtek60 and I loved the liberation from the dead end BlackBerry OS. I highly recommend it.

(Btw I then briefly tried the Priv, but the pkb sucked, so I went back to the Dtek60. Then I briefly tried the Keyone and the screen sucked compared to the Dtek60, so I returned again to the Dtek60).
    I also like my Dtek60, but some apps don't work or work as smooth as on my PRIV and vise versa. So I switch up frequently or use at same time and still cheaper and more Storage space, than an APPLE!!!! And if one goes I still have a phone .
    The reason I bought the Dtek60 is because I loved the Z30.
    I really really hope it gets Nougat if not this Dtek60 will have had the shortest life of any phone ever .
    13quantumleap likes this.
    07-13-17 11:04 PM
    Just wasted an hour or my life watching the CB podcast. The official word Kevin received from BlackBerry about the DTEK series getting nougat was......... buy a Key1, and as far as the missed updates...... they are busy with the key1.
    Seriously wondering, did they say that? Or you just being facetious?
    07-14-17 08:53 AM
    Seriously wondering, did they say that? Or you just being facetious?
    No seriously they did
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-14-17 08:58 AM
276 ... 89101112