Many, including me, have already purchased their last device with a BlackBerry logo on it.
    BlackBerry isn't in the device business and probably couldn't care less about the tiny licencing fee they will miss out from you.

So if it's otherwise a decent phone, you are only punishing yourself, which you are welcome to do.
    07-12-17 11:50 AM
    I semi agree that the business we know (and love) will be gone and out of the mobile market sooner rather than later and I think that is JC's plan... but I kinda see it being bought by someone for its security products and knowledge, probably a more business focus operation like Oracle... but for sure I think the mobile BB will be gone, have you seen the thread for the screen issues in the K1 forum, people waiting weeks if not months for resolutions, for BB Mobile to have such an issue on their big launch is not good, I was going to look at switching but it just puts me off.
    Whether or not BBMo survives is completely up to BBMo/TCL. BB survival will be how well it's software acquisitions, going back to QNX and since, perform. This software business is what JC was hired to run back in 2013 as part of BB turnaround. If similar to Sybase turnaround, acquisition partners have already been planned, discussed and ranked.

JC, the executive team and the BOD have a plan and right now, it appears to be going along as scheduled.
    07-12-17 11:53 AM
    Not true.... Bbmobile doesn't send the patches out to the phones BlackBerry does.
    No they don't. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ updates are located on TCL servers. They used to be visible before they hid them.
    07-12-17 11:53 AM
    BlackBerry isn't in the device business and probably couldn't care less about the tiny licencing fee they will miss out from you.
    They are out of the manufacturing business, but they still offer handsets
    07-12-17 11:57 AM
    They are out of the manufacturing business, but they still offer handsets
    No they don't. You seem to confuse a link to BlackBerry Mobile with a full-blown device business.
    07-12-17 11:58 AM
    No they don't. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ updates are located on TCL servers. They used to be visible before they hid them.
    Nope it comes directly from BlackBerry servers
    07-12-17 11:59 AM
    Nope it comes directly BlackBerry servers
    Even if it's true, which I don't believe it is, it wouldn't matter anyway. It's still up to TCL to approve, and allow. It is also TCL that pays for them.

But if you remember, BlackBerry Mobile hosted all of the autoloaders on its server.
    07-12-17 12:00 PM
    No they don't. You seem to confuse a link to BlackBerry Mobile with a full-blown device business.
    When you go to BlackBerry's website they have a section titled "Smartphones". Check it out and tell me that they are out of the smartphone business
    07-12-17 12:08 PM
    When you go to BlackBerry's website they have a section titled "Smartphones". Check it out and tell me that they are out of the smartphone business
    Smoke and mirrors. They're not stupid.

But Blackberry themselves would be the first to tell you they're out of the device business.

A web page and a web link does not make a device business.
    07-12-17 12:11 PM
    Smoke and mirrors. They're not stupid.

But Blackberry themselves would be the first to tell you they're out of the device business.

A web page and a web link does not make a device business.
    I would also say that they are out of the handset business irrespective of any link, the problem is they have the legacy devices to look after, only the K1 is BBMobile... so as far as we "the consumer" are concerned don't expect any communication except for the K1 and don't expect any updates (that does not mean we wont get any) as they will prioritise resource to everything else first, then the legacy devices and yes I agree (before anyone posts) its shocking that we are talking about the DTEK60 as legacy but in BB's eyes it is I'm afraid.

So as per my previous post we either ride it out and see what happens, switch to K1 or leave for someone else... personally I would get the K1 but there are some shocking comments on the forum which are putting me off, so that means I wait and see if the DTEK60 gets some updates or leave... so probably wait until the 5th of August and see if we get that sec update, if not then that's pretty much the end of the DTEK60, in the mean time the Pixel 2 is due to be launched and even if I don't like that model I do like the current Pixel so hopefully the new release might generate some deals on any old stock.
    07-12-17 02:00 PM
    I've seen a couple of renders for the new pixel xl 2, it looks good. I will still support BlackBerry at the rate of $0.99 a month for the hub.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    07-12-17 02:11 PM
    I've seen a couple of renders for the new pixel xl 2, it looks good. I will still support BlackBerry at the rate of $0.99 a month for the hub.
    Agreed. Looks good. I also like the stock-OS approach of Google (and BlackBerry Android for that matter).
    07-12-17 02:15 PM
    Agreed. Looks good. I also like the stock-OS approach of Google (and BlackBerry Android for that matter).
    The current Pixel XL has £100 off at Carphone Warehouse, still £589 so might wait and see if that drops any further over the next few weeks, then first week in August can decide dependant on the DTEK updates.

I see the new IPhone 8 has the same mirror finish than the Pixel 2 and looking at the current Pixel it looks like an IPhone!
    07-12-17 02:22 PM
    For me it's pretty simple. I bought PRIV and DTEK from BB. They exited handset business. Like any company that exits a business, usually due to bankruptcy, the expectation level of service goes to zero for me. At that point, there's nothing left for the company. Since the rollout of BB10, this has been my expectation level of BB, they were on the verge of bankruptcy until PRIV rollout.

Even before then, JC kept telling everyone, BB could be exiting hardware if sales didn't improve. At that point, bankruptcy or not, I know every device I purchase could be the last BB produced. Along with knowing this, I expect service level to go to zero. I purchase device through carrier for better warranty support if BB goes under or exits hardware. The devices I purchase through ShopBlackBerry were risky purchases and I knew that.

I chose to purchase all three Android devices from BlackBerry only because BBAndroid was closer to BB10 than any other version of Android OS. I've never expected anymore from BBAndroid than what I've been given because Android has always been fragmented and inconsistent. Low expectations? YES!!! Realistic expectations after everything JC has said for almost four years? YES!!!

Many people have only been hearing what they want to hear since 2013. If you didn't hear everything JC said between the lines, be careful with any purchases you make for anything in the future that involve human interaction. The human is there as salesperson.

Since no other company will offer me BBAndroid, there is no choice for me other than BBMo hardware. If and when they go under, I'll have to move on but like BB10, I'll support BBMo unless something better comes along to makeup for BBAndroid. I've had to dual carry Android for seven or eight years now. BBAndroid has me the happiest in years because I dual carry two BBAndroid devices and it's by choice.

As far as BBMo goes, they don't owe me anything. In fact, they bought a license and committed resources to BBAndroid without any commitment from me or any other consumer. If you're really a BB fan, you'll wish them success.

If you're still holding a grudge against the old BB, you're the reason they were never successful and never would have been. The business model you're asking for is what put their hardware business in the grave.
    xRuhRohx and anon(9803228) like this.
    07-12-17 02:45 PM
    They owe me nothing but I owe them nothing. If you claim updates and a forward path to the next rev of the OS and don't deliver both on time then my interest in your BRAND (no matter who fulfills it) goes to zero as you have proved you will lie to make a sale. It's on you to make sure the commitments you make are honored by your successors.
    07-12-17 04:07 PM
    If you claim updates and a forward path to the next rev of the OS and don't deliver both on time then my interest in your BRAND (no matter who fulfills it) goes to zero.
    Of course we here know better about the relationships between the companies to not be confused about the similar branding.

But yes, this would be an issue for the general population.
    07-12-17 04:11 PM
    Sorry but no.

You are responsible for your brand and what you allow licensed orgs to do with it. Period.

Giving BlackBerry and TCL a pass is dumb. By doing so you ratify the behavior and make it likely TCL will do the same thing with the KeyOne.
    07-12-17 04:48 PM
    The problem is too many complacent people keep allowing corporations to take advantage of the customer all in the name of profits.

Corporations need to be educated by the customers. Screw the customer and profit margins decline.

Simple stuff really.
    tickerguy likes this.
    07-12-17 04:54 PM
    Sorry but no.

You are responsible for your brand and what you allow licensed orgs to do with it. Period.

Giving BlackBerry and TCL a pass is dumb. By doing so you ratify the behavior and make it likely TCL will do the same thing with the KeyOne.
    I won't blame or reward TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) for how BlackBerry treats its Priv and DTEK customers. I will judge them on their own behaviour.
    07-12-17 05:03 PM
    I won't blame or reward TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) for how BlackBerry treats its Priv and DTEK customers. I will judge them on their own behaviour.
    I really think you're being naive on this whole bbmobile/tcl "company" do you honestly believe that BlackBerry has nothing to do with the way TCL handles the brand, creating new devices?

And when you get burnt by Bbmobile/tcl be prepared to be told we told you so.
    07-12-17 05:21 PM
    I really think you're being naive on this whole bbmobile/tcl "company" do you honestly believe that BlackBerry has nothing to do with the way TCL handles the brand, creating new devices?

And when you get burnt by Bbmobile/tcl be prepared to be told we told you so.
    If PT BB Merah Putih can get the Aurora approved by BlackBerry, then BlackBerry's "brand control" is a rubber stamp.

If I get burned by TCL, I will blame TCL.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    07-12-17 05:24 PM
    For me it's pretty simple. I bought PRIV and DTEK from BB. They exited handset business. Like any company that exits a business, usually due to bankruptcy, the expectation level of service goes to zero for me. At that point, there's nothing left for the company. Since the rollout of BB10, this has been my expectation level of BB, they were on the verge of bankruptcy until PRIV rollout.

Even before then, JC kept telling everyone, BB could be exiting hardware if sales didn't improve. At that point, bankruptcy or not, I know every device I purchase could be the last BB produced. Along with knowing this, I expect service level to go to zero. I purchase device through carrier for better warranty support if BB goes under or exits hardware. The devices I purchase through ShopBlackBerry were risky purchases and I knew that.

I chose to purchase all three Android devices from BlackBerry only because BBAndroid was closer to BB10 than any other version of Android OS. I've never expected anymore from BBAndroid than what I've been given because Android has always been fragmented and inconsistent. Low expectations? YES!!! Realistic expectations after everything JC has said for almost four years? YES!!!

Many people have only been hearing what they want to hear since 2013. If you didn't hear everything JC said between the lines, be careful with any purchases you make for anything in the future that involve human interaction. The human is there as salesperson.

Since no other company will offer me BBAndroid, there is no choice for me other than BBMo hardware. If and when they go under, I'll have to move on but like BB10, I'll support BBMo unless something better comes along to makeup for BBAndroid. I've had to dual carry Android for seven or eight years now. BBAndroid has me the happiest in years because I dual carry two BBAndroid devices and it's by choice.

As far as BBMo goes, they don't owe me anything. In fact, they bought a license and committed resources to BBAndroid without any commitment from me or any other consumer. If you're really a BB fan, you'll wish them success.

If you're still holding a grudge against the old BB, you're the reason they were never successful and never would have been. The business model you're asking for is what put their hardware business in the grave.

The problem is that they still offered and sold the DTEK series after they stated that they were no longer manufacturing phones. They also had a big launch party "BlackBerry Style" when the Dteck60 launched. Their moto was we put the smart in smartphones.

BTW if you like the BB / android style, you should try the pixel, it's really clean and smooth.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-12-17 05:36 PM

Wow... what a crock of gibberish!
    Willieray3 likes this.
    07-12-17 06:25 PM
    The problem is that they still offered and sold the DTEK series after they stated that they were no longer manufacturing phones. They also had a big launch party "BlackBerry Style" when the Dteck60 launched. Their moto was we put the smart in smartphones.

BTW if you like the BB / android style, you should try the pixel, it's really clean and smooth.
    Exactly.

The gall of some to blame the customer for johnny's lies... wow... just wow... it's like listening to a teenager trying to make excuses.
    07-12-17 06:29 PM
    I believe strongly in Capitalism and Free Enterprise. I don't believe there is anything wrong in profit motive that requires consumers to only get what's in the fine print...that's why it exists, to clearly lay out corporate obligations.

Not excuses. It's part of the foundation of what I believe makes the greatest country on the planet. Freedom of choice....
    07-12-17 07:01 PM
276 ... 7891011 ...