OK - think of it this way...

Marshmallow was released October 5, 2015. PRIV got that update in April 2016. That is about 6 months later. I would expect the vast majority of phones that were released on Lollipop will never go past Marshmallow. That should make up the vast majority of devices in the Marshmallow bucket.

Now what about DTEK60. It was released last November 2016, I think. That was 13 months after the release of Marshmallow and just after the release of Nougat. It took BlackBerry 6 months to get the PRIV updated. They had a beta and made it known that their goal was to get the PRIV onto Nougat. None of that has happened for Nougat. The 6 months has passed and we are on an OS that is now 20 months old. In addition, we are now 2 months behind on patches and we have no communication regarding what's going on.

At the end of the day, there is a lot to be negative about regarding the DTEK60.

I like the phone, honestly. But where is the support that should be expected for a $550 flagship device?
    07-06-17 09:48 AM

Marshmallow was released October 5, 2015. PRIV got that update in April 2016. That is about 6 months later. I would expect the vast majority of phones that were released on Lollipop will never go past Marshmallow. That should make up the vast majority of devices in the Marshmallow bucket.

Now what about DTEK60. It was released last November 2016, I think. That was 13 months after the release of Marshmallow and just after the release of Nougat. It took BlackBerry 6 months to get the PRIV updated. They had a beta and made it known that their goal was to get the PRIV onto Nougat. None of that has happened for Nougat. The 6 months has passed and we are on an OS that is now 20 months old. In addition, we are now 2 months behind on patches and we have no communication regarding what's going on.

At the end of the day, there is a lot to be negative about regarding the DTEK60.

I like the phone, honestly. But where is the support that should be expected for a $550 flagship device?
    At the end of the day there is nothing to be negative about.
    Your phone works doesn't it?
    You are alive aren't you?
    When the majority of devices are on Nougat, then I might be a little curious as to why we don't have it yet, but not going to stress over something that doesn't make my life any better or worse. Especially since complaining about it on CrackBerry is not going to change anything. Organize a group to send emails to BlackBerry about it, that will work better than a forum.
    07-06-17 01:26 PM
    I think a continued lack of security updates for the DTEKs would absolutely be unacceptable - even though BlackBerry is out of the business. 24 months of updates from launch is good with me.

I don't think we're at the place yet where we can assume the worst, and need to start pounding on the panic button. Technical or other issues could result in miscellaneous delays or even the occasional miss. I'd personally be ok with that.

Let's see what happens this month.

As for Nougat, although I see other's point of view, I don't feel I'm owed it.
    ptaylor10 likes this.
    07-06-17 01:53 PM

You talk about Marshmallow as if all development on it stopped after Nougat was released, but Google continues to actively support both. The most recent build for Marshallow is April 2017.

I'm not arguing that Nougat isn't newer and generally an improvement, but it's misleading to speak.of Marshmallow as if it's obsolete. It's clear that Google sees an Android version as a 3-5 year commitment, based on the fact that 4.4 is still not EOL.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    xRuhRohx and xandros9 like this.
    07-06-17 03:11 PM
    never said that it's obsolete. it's just older and not "flagship" worthy.
    07-07-17 06:52 AM
    Since afaik BlackBerry Mobile still didn't release any sale numbers of all new BlackDroids, it just seems to be too inefficient for JC to update only a several hundred thousands of BlackBerry devices from Marshmallow to Nougat. #facepalm
    @Ebs69 ☞ BBM News 2U ‼ًC00215825
    07-10-17 05:34 PM
    Since afaik BlackBerry Mobile still didn't release any sale numbers of all new BlackDroids, it just seems to be too inefficient for JC to update only a several hundred thousands of BlackBerry devices from Marshmallow to Nougat. #facepalm
    @Ebs69 ☞ BBM News 2U ‼ًC00215825
    They're not even updating the security patches on the Dteck60.

To busy with the key1 screen gate
    07-10-17 06:45 PM
    They're not even updating the security patches on the Dteck60.

To busy with the key1 screen gate
    Are you suggesting that BlackBerry has contracted its Android security engineering team to TCL to work on manufacturing quality?

07-11-17 09:30 AM
    never said that it's obsolete. it's just older and not "flagship" worthy.
    I agree with you. But phones typically lose their "flagship" status in about six months regardless. That's the nature of tech.

07-11-17 09:32 AM
    I agree with you. But phones typically lose their "flagship" status in about six months regardless. That's the nature of tech.

Name another flagship that came out 7-8 months ago that hasn't been updated to Nougat. Maybe there is one, but I honestly don't think so.
    Uzi likes this.
    07-11-17 09:47 AM
    Sometime between tomorrow and never. Serious answer.

BlackBerry hasn't decided yet if they will offer it - which is probably code for NO.
    I'm gonna sell my BlackBerry DTEK60, because there is no any update! And I'll never buy any ******* BlackBerry smartphone anymore ������������������. I hate you BlackBerry ������������������. We cannot trust you anymore! We should've bought a Samsung galaxy or iPhone! We have paid so much money to your phone and you are not gonna offer a new software update. I have already realized BlackBerry cannot be a winner forever that is why they don't care about their products.
    07-11-17 12:57 PM
    I'm gonna sell my BlackBerry DTEK60, because there is no any update! And I'll never buy any ******* BlackBerry smartphone anymore.
    Well, that's fine as BlackBerry no longer sells devices.

You can punish TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) if it makes you feel better.
    07-11-17 01:04 PM
    Well, that's fine as BlackBerry no longer sells devices.

You can punish TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) if it makes you feel better.
    It's the same brand. People will punish TCL. Nobody cares about the legally defined companies. They look at the brand on the phone. Sorry.
    07-11-17 01:12 PM
    It's the same brand. People will punish TCL. Nobody cares about the legally defined companies. They look at the brand on the phone. Sorry.
    That is the only way to punish Blackberry, they receive revenue from software sale, they receive revenue/royalties from device sales, also affects their share price because Blackberry label.

Conite is going to come back and tell you they only receive $10-20 but cannot provide proof when I asked. I believe they receive more than his stated figure.
    07-11-17 01:19 PM
    Obviously I understand that, which explains why I'm trying to make the distinction. He can ultimately do whatever he wants.
    rcab likes this.
    07-11-17 01:20 PM
    The number of people that will punish TCL/BBMo is a small insignificant number. If BBMo has already decided that it's not worth keeping PRIV or DTEK customers it means they have data to support their decision. The "vocal minority" is just that, a minority.
    07-11-17 01:25 PM
    That is the only way to punish Blackberry
    "Punishing" or "rewarding" a company is the last thing on my mind when making a purchase. I'm not a martyr or selfless hero.

I'll pick the product that I want most. If I like the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, I will decide whether I have faith in TCL or not, and won't allow past prejudices to cloud my judgement.
    07-11-17 01:28 PM
    Are you suggesting that BlackBerry has contracted its Android security engineering team to TCL to work on manufacturing quality?

Security engineering team LOL

Good one 😂
    07-11-17 06:36 PM
    "Punishing" or "rewarding" a company is the last thing on my mind when making a purchase. I'm not a martyr or selfless hero.

I'll pick the product that I want most. If I like the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, I will decide whether I have faith in TCL or not, and won't allow past prejudices to cloud my judgement.
    Remember that 7 months down the road when TCL decides to stop supporting the key1, no complaints from you
    07-11-17 06:42 PM
    Remember that 7 months down the road when TCL decides to stop supporting the key1, no complaints from you
    I will blame TCL in that case.
    07-11-17 07:12 PM
    LOL - on Amazon Prime deals, they have the TCL idol5s for 200 bucks with Amazon ads. Guess what OS it comes with.... Nougat 7.1
    07-11-17 09:26 PM
    LOL - on Amazon Prime deals, they have the TCL idol5s for 200 bucks with Amazon ads. Guess what OS it comes with.... Nougat 7.1
    Isn't that device that's rumored to have close specs to new rumored BBMo VKB? So the new "70" will most likely have 7.1 too? Makes a lot more sense why they wouldn't put it on the 50/60 then....
    07-11-17 09:32 PM
    Isn't that device that's rumored to have close specs to new rumored BBMo VKB? So the new "70" will most likely have 7.1 too? Makes a lot more sense why they wouldn't put it on the 50/60 then....
    If so it will flop, no one but BlackBerry fans will buy it, and the fans are mad.
    07-12-17 06:09 AM
    If so it will flop, no one but BlackBerry fans will buy it, and the fans are mad.
    Why do you think a flop? Us fans don't matter enough to make a success either way..
    07-12-17 06:38 AM
    I think a continued lack of security updates for the DTEKs would absolutely be unacceptable - even though BlackBerry is out of the business. 24 months of updates from launch is good with me.
    Conite, you'll probably know this. Why would the Priv still be receiving the monthly updates but not the Dteks which are newer devices? Especially as all three are on the same OS. Seems odd to me as a layman.
    07-12-17 06:48 AM
276 ... 56789 ...