Some of us think the DTEK60 is a pretty good device... best thing since Z30 (in my opinion... though an appropriately timed Z50 would have been better).

But BlackBerry can't get out of their own way long enough to succeed at anything.

Best thing since Z30... and they dump it?

Stupid... stupid... stupid.

... grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory kind of stupid.
    BB dumped all hardware. Nobody except you, me and few others bought the DTEK60 anyway.
    07-04-17 04:21 PM
    Are you honestly implying folks are crazy to expect more than 6-7 months?

That's just crazy ridiculous!
    Nope. If you follow the thread, the suggestion was that to be true to advertising the DTEKs must always remain the most secure Android devices. I was simply asking how far that has to be taken.

Nor do I believe anything has been stopped at 6-7 months.
    07-04-17 04:27 PM
    But they already changed their statement re: patches to "we try our best to provide monthly patches"

Posted via CB10
    They did? Where? I still see day zero patches as the commitment.
    07-04-17 04:45 PM
    But it doesn't need to. BlackBerry has nothing to sell you anyway, so what's the point?

You can't really believe a handful of disgruntled DTEK owners will make any quantitative impact at all on future BlackBerry Mobile income.
    Well, I'm going to do what I can. I'll harass them until they explain themselves. See where it gets me. I'm not going to just sit here, shut up, and let BlackBerry off the hook.

You can't really believe that there are only a handful of DTEK users.

Why are you even bringing up the BlackBerry Mobile. As you've said, they have nothing to do with DTEKs. I don't care about the Keyone. I want my DTEK60 to be supported.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-04-17 04:52 PM
    BB dumped all hardware. Nobody except you, me and few others bought the DTEK60 anyway.
    a few? So there are like less than 10 in the wild?
    07-04-17 04:53 PM
    Well, I'm going to do what I can. I'll harass them until they explain themselves. See where it gets me. I'm not going to just sit here, shut up, and let BlackBerry off the hook.

Why are you even bringing up the BlackBerry Mobile. As you've said, they have nothing to do with DTEKs. I don't care about the Keyone. I want my DTEK60 to be supported.
    I'm bringing up BlackBerry Mobile because that could be the only conceivable reason BlackBerry would even care in the slightest.

"Disgruntled DTEK users because of lack of information regarding a missed June update" is a subset of "DTEK users". And a very small one I would imagine.
    07-04-17 04:57 PM
    Nope. If you follow the thread, the suggestion was that to be true to advertising the DTEKs must always remain the most secure Android devices. I was simply asking how far that has to be taken.

Nor do I believe anything has been stopped at 6-7 months.
    I was probably the one that made that suggestion, and to clarify, I never meant always. I think what I was getting at is that most people buy a phone to last them at least 2 years. Possibly longer. 6-7 months doesn't cut it.

The most offensive aspect of the whole situation is that the company in question has already developed a more secure software for their licensee, but has yet to put that software on their own phones.

They basically licensed out the promise that the made to DTEK buyers. We don't have the most secure smartphone any more, BlackBerry Mobile makes it. And there is no communication from BlackBerry mentioning how they plan to rectify this situation.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-04-17 05:03 PM
    They did? Where? I still see day zero patches as the commitment.
    Loll yup, they did man. If you search around, there is a legit BlackBerry representative saying they try their best to stick to google's schedule.

Where do you say day zero patches as the commitment? I only remember seeing that from their webcast during the dtek50 launch and on a slide from one of their security presentations for the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 06:10 PM
    a few? So there are like less than 10 in the wild?
    Whatever the quantity, not enough to matter from a business perspective...
    07-04-17 06:12 PM
    For anyone who thinks Blackberry only provides software and has no say what TCL does, they have more power than you think in the agreement.

BlackBerry will retain portfolio veto rights, meaning that if phones designed under those licensing agreements don’t meet the BlackBerry brand standards, the company can stop their release, Chen added.
    Read article here: BlackBerry to stop making its signature smartphones, work to be outsourced | New
    krazyatom likes this.
    07-04-17 06:34 PM

Good for you.

I say keep harassing them as long as the shills keep making up excuses for them.

The amount of excuse making is bordering on unbelievable!
    chi-town311 and Couver81 like this.
    07-04-17 06:52 PM
    No offense, but I'll do whatever I want to do. Is whining on a forum now illegal or something? Go read any of the other forums or posts where people are gushing over BB and their amazing smartphones. I wouldn't fret over security updates if they didn't promise them, miss them, and then lie about the release of them. By the way, a Z10 is a horrible phone right now. So is the Passport. Lack of support, apps that barely work, old hardware. No thanks.
    No offence taken.

If you wanna whine... join the choir here and whine away.

Yer entitled to your opinion, but my z10 works fabulously and I have all the apps I need. May use it another 4 years or until it finally dies.

Via z10

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 09:34 PM
    For anyone who thinks Blackberry only provides software and has no say what TCL does, they have more power than you think in the agreement.

Read article here: BlackBerry to stop making its signature smartphones, work to be outsourced | New
    We already covered that, but again, if the Aurora can pass whatever test BlackBerry puts on devices, what wouldn't?

Marketing fluff to appease the brand loyalists who are concerned about BlackBerry leaving the device business.
    07-04-17 09:38 PM
    No offence taken.

If you wanna whine... join the choir here and whine away.

Yer entitled to your opinion, but my z10 works fabulously and I have all the apps I need. May use it another 4 years or until it finally dies.

Via z10

Posted via CB10
    That's funny because my dad says the same thing about his flip phone. To each their own.

But if we're talking about the mass market - then the Z10 and all of the BlackBerry 10 devices aren't adequate overall, as evidenced by the fact it drove BlackBerry out of the handset business completely.

If it works for you, all the more power to you - but a statement about BlackBerry 10 overall is more credible than a statement about a personal experience.

Don't get me wrong - I'm using a Classic right now myself loll

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 10:22 PM
    That's funny because my dad says the same thing about his flip phone. To each their own.

But if we're talking about the mass market - then the Z10 and all of the BlackBerry 10 devices aren't adequate overall, as evidenced by the fact it drove BlackBerry out of the handset business completely.

If it works for you, all the more power to you - but a statement about BlackBerry 10 overall is more credible than a statement about a personal experience.

Don't get me wrong - I'm using a Classic right now myself loll

Posted via CB10
    I am old enough to not care about the mass market. I prefer sport bikes to Toyota Camrys ( my dad has one), heavy metal over pop music, and my BlackBerry over any iPhone or Samsung despite the consternation of the $1,000 bubble wrapped phone club, market be darned. In all cases the market overwhelmingly prefers the latter, I like the former.

I don't own a Classic, but I think that they look cool. Would get one but they always seemed so expensive for what they are... a slightly larger q10.

Live a little. Zag when everyone else zigs.

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom and migueli2 like this.
    07-05-17 12:02 AM
    I am old enough to not care about the mass market. I prefer sport bikes to Toyota Camrys ( my dad has one), heavy metal over pop music, and my BlackBerry over any iPhone or Samsung despite the consternation of the $1,000 bubble wrapped phone club, market be darned. In all cases the market overwhelmingly prefers the latter, I like the former.

I don't own a Classic, but I think that they look cool. Would get one but they always seemed so expensive for what they are... a slightly larger q10.

Live a little. Zag when everyone else zigs.

Posted via CB10
    Just saying when someone said the passport isn't an option as it relates to the KEYone because of its apps, spec, etc when you chime in with "oh well it has all the apps I need" is irrelevant.

It's about as relevant as my dad saying his flip phone does all that it needs so why do I need my BlackBerry.

This isn't in regards to your personal needs vs his personal needs, it's in regards to an objective assessment of bb10 vs android as it relates to the overall market.

It's like the dtek50 battery life - virtually every reviewer noted how poor it's battery life was and most people in here said the same thing. Some random person who chimes in with "oh well, it lasts me a full day easily" won't change the fact - even if his/her own person use case does make the battery life work for him/her. Like ok, good for you that's awesome you get great battery life loll

Posted via CB10
    07-05-17 06:30 AM
    Good for you.

I say keep harassing them as long as the shills keep making up excuses for them.

The amount of excuse making is bordering on unbelievable!
    Do you actually believe that the people who disagree with you are "shills"?

There has been much too much name calling on these boards. If you're going to call people shills, you can't complain if they call you a whiner/crybaby/whatever.

I prefer respectful disagreements with well-reasoned arguments to name-calling and accusations. But maybe I'm old-fashioned and we should just all yell at each other instead of enjoying actual discourse.

Also, fwiw, discrediting a speaker is a political tactic, and is not considered a valid response in intellectual discourse.

Here is the definition of "shill" from Wikipedia:

"A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization."

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-05-17 08:53 AM

Here is the definition of "shill" from Wikipedia:

"A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization."

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Take out the word "stooge" ... and yes, there are absolutely plants here. No not everyone... but absolutely some
    HughJarsse and anon(10123624) like this.
    07-05-17 11:28 AM
    Take out the word "stooge" ... and yes, there are absolutely plants here. No not everyone... but absolutely some
    That's a pretty serious accusation to be made against people that just happen to take an opposing viewpoint to your own.

Perhaps we should clear the air. Who are you suspecting?
    07-05-17 11:33 AM
    When I was a kid, my dad would say I was acting like a member of three stooges reinvented....
    07-05-17 01:49 PM
    When the number for Nougat gets closer to an even running with Marshmallow and Lolipop, then start expecting Nougat from BlackBerry. But until then, they are on par with everyone else. I mean come on, more people have Kit Kat than Nougat.
    Security updates are a different story. But also remember that the software versions between BlackDroids are not the same either. Some patches might not be applicable to others.

Nougat for DTEK60?-androidversions1705.png
    07-06-17 07:27 AM
    When the number for Nougat gets closer to an even running with Marshmallow and Lolipop, then start expecting Nougat from BlackBerry. But until then, they are on par with everyone else. I mean come on, more people have Kit Kat than Nougat.
    Security updates are a different story. But also remember that the software versions between BlackDroids are not the same either. Some patches might not be applicable to others.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Androidversions1705.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	426576
    How about you do a weighting by price paid or age of phone. Sorry, but just more excuses. Many phones from the same time period and in the same price range have been updated.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-06-17 07:38 AM
    How about you do a weighting by price paid or age of phone. Sorry, but just more excuses. Many phones from the same time period and in the same price range have been updated.
    Clearly that still isn't the case. 6.6% is hardly many.
    07-06-17 07:56 AM
    Clearly that still isn't the case. 6.6% is hardly many.
    All I'm saying is if you only look at devices that were released in the last 7-8 months, the numbers would be way different. I would expect that these stats include cheap phones and legacy phones that were EOL'd a long time ago. There is no point in comparing them. The only thing the DTEK has in common with those phones is that they are both EOL'd
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-06-17 09:05 AM
    All I'm saying is if you only look at devices that were released in the last 7-8 months, the numbers would be way different. I would expect that these stats include cheap phones and legacy phones that were EOL'd a long time ago. There is no point in comparing them. The only thing the DTEK has in common with those phones is that they are both EOL'd
    This chart would include all devices, you can't pull a select chunk of devices out. We are right where we are meant to be. When BlackBerry decides to give us Nougat, then great we will have Nougat. The people that are mad about not having Nougat yet, can easily switch to a different device. Everyone is so damn negative all the time.
    07-06-17 09:11 AM
276 ... 45678 ...