Please go back and read his post. He says they "guarantee" and the conversation didn't involve you.
    No, I said,

"We might consider the fact that TCL's agreement with BlackBerry guarantees a high level of service..."

That's just standard licensing language when the licensor is responsible for continued support to the licensee, as BlackBerry and TCL have announced. The "high level of service " would be whatever TCL and BlackBerry agreed to, and it would refer to BlackBerry's obligation to TCL, not to end users. No one except BlackBerry and TCL have any idea what the scope of that support is.

Whatever it is, it's more of a legal obligation than putting Nougat on BlackBerry's own phones. It almost certainly obligates them to supporting future versions of Android on future phones, at least, and for the advertised updates for the KEYone.

So, at a minimum, the BlackBerry Android team is likely working on updates for the KEYone and quite possibly Android O for future BlackBerry Mobile phones, as well as security patches for the Priv and DTEK phones. All of those commitments would take business priority over upgrading their previously marketed phones from M to N.

Again, I have no more information than anyone else, as I've said repeatedly. But I'm trying to contribute to the discussion with logic and experience as someone whose been both a licensor and a licensee of brands in my professional life.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-03-17 06:24 PM
    ...one of the reasons that I have only bought BlackBerry products...their longevity. Every one that I have owned, has been thoroughly worn out over 3 or so years...my Passport hardly feels broken in and I've been on it since they came out...

Posted on my Powerful Passport
    4 years on this z10 and it is running as good as new. Loving my passport as well.

I can't believe all the whining going on here. Enjoy your phone and quit fretting about a missed security patch. The 60 is a great flagship phone at a great price. Yer phone ain't gonna implode. And if it does implode you can always spend $50 on a used z10 if you want real security.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-03-17 11:10 PM
    I still dont understand the desperation with updating the OS, yes security patches are key but not moving OS versions!

Why would they reduce the potential of future sales of new devices, also if the phone was built with / for a specific OS why cause potential issues with upgrading which may affect the performance of the device, all of which takes resource either at BB or TCL... plus what is so fantastic in the new OS that its making people so desperate to have it on the DTEK60... did we ever really have OS updates with BB or just patches adding function changes, would we expect to go from BB 10.3 to 11.0!!!
    07-04-17 05:49 AM
    Sorry to say you don't know about android OS. OS upgrade is not equal to some kind of security patches. Dtek60 can easily adapt new OS if blackberry put some effort. It's lack of hard work and lack of innovation. Which brought blackberry market almost zero.
    07-04-17 09:08 AM
    Sorry to say you don't know about android OS. OS upgrade is not equal to some kind of security patches. Dtek60 can easily adapt new OS if blackberry put some effort. It's lack of hard work and lack of innovation. Which brought blackberry market almost zero.
    BlackBerry is no longer in the phone business so there's no reason for them profit wise to update PRIV or DTEK. BB gets no benefit.
    07-04-17 09:11 AM
    I work in the Tech industry, have for over 20 years in support and development and you have just proven my point "adapt new OS" exactly, they have to check the effect on the device and its apps, for a device which is no longer making them money... that makes great business sense!!!

You buy the device with latest OS, there is no reason and nothing written to say that you are entitled to receive the latest OS update (security updates different)... so in your example considering the ease in which Windows 8 updated to Windows 10 without purchasing the Win10 licence are you now expected to receive the latest Windows OS every time FOC despite which version you bought!!!

Its easier for IOS as only their devices use their OS and their APPS are scrutinised massively before being released to their store, so they are a different argument. Android like Windows have different hardware manufacturers, different apps (some of which are not tested by Android / Windows), different versions of overlay such as the Samsung TouchWhizz etc etc. So just slight amendments are not possible if you want the release to be tested in all scenarios, plus you have the additional issue of carrier and non-carrier phones, its just not cost effective... that doesnt mean we wont get it, we just should not expect it... and as my post said, whats the urgency with having the latest OS, what is so great with Android N or O that its seems to have created such animosity towards BB / TCL.
    07-04-17 09:43 AM
    4 years on this z10 and it is running as good as new. Loving my passport as well.

I can't believe all the whining going on here. Enjoy your phone and quit fretting about a missed security patch. The 60 is a great flagship phone at a great price. Yer phone ain't gonna implode. And if it does implode you can always spend $50 on a used z10 if you want real security.

Posted via CB10
    No offense, but I'll do whatever I want to do. Is whining on a forum now illegal or something? Go read any of the other forums or posts where people are gushing over BB and their amazing smartphones. I wouldn't fret over security updates if they didn't promise them, miss them, and then lie about the release of them. By the way, a Z10 is a horrible phone right now. So is the Passport. Lack of support, apps that barely work, old hardware. No thanks.
    07-04-17 10:44 AM
    No offense, but I'll do whatever I want to do. Is whining on a forum now illegal or something? Go read any of the other forums or posts where people are gushing over BB and their amazing smartphones. I wouldn't fret over security updates if they didn't promise them, miss them, and then lie about the release of them. By the way, a Z10 is a horrible phone right now. So is the Passport. Lack of support, apps that barely work, old hardware. No thanks.
    Haven't you added the DTEK60 to your list of horrible phones too?
    07-04-17 10:51 AM
    Folks it's called customer service not saying it needs to be for life. But if a company wants returning customers then they need to attract and maintain them.

Perfect example is in this announcement:
    Xiaomi will roll out the Nougat update to 14 phones.
    Yes it says 14 phones OMG would you believe that!

Here is the link to the article: https://www.androidcentral.com/here-...updated-nougat

There are many alternatives shop around folks. Don't be fooled into deceit to serve the shareholders.
    Couver81 likes this.
    07-04-17 10:53 AM
    That's awesome. I wonder how many phones TCL updates in their lineup... BB however is still no longer in the phone hardware business.
    07-04-17 10:56 AM
    More apologist drivel. They knew they wouldn't make money off the DTEKs when they sold them. They had already moved on to Keyone and the licensing agreement. Hence, the low quantity production. That doesn't mean they should just treat them like garbage. Not if they want us lowly DTEK owners to buy a Keyone. They can go take a hike if they think we should pay for their business decision. I want the support on my phone that a typical person would expect to receive for a $500+ phone. They promised monthly patches! Fail and Lies. The market generally expects at least 1 OS update to a new "flagship" phone. In addition, they already have developed Android 7.0 for the Keyone so they have most of the work done. If this phone doesn't get the OS update, then I'm done with this brand.

They decided to put out the DTEKs. They could have skipped them and went directly to Keyone. They didn't do that. They sold me this phone and I demand that it be treated exactly the way it should be treated.
    Couver81 likes this.
    07-04-17 10:58 AM
    Also not to offend chi-town311 but I think your frustration might be similar to mine, I had a BB Passport, awesome phone, but I dont think its useable now with the lack of apps etc (same as you)... so I change to the DTEK60 and this phone is also awesome, best touch screen I have had, maybe the best BB I have had!

But I am worried its going down the route of the Passport where the sec updates stop and then its another new phone, but we need to be patient and see what is happening, we have only missed a month... I know we should have more communications, I know its not great customer service, but slating everything they do doesnt really achieve anything.
    07-04-17 11:02 AM
    That's awesome. I wonder how many phones TCL updates in their lineup... BB however is still no longer in the phone hardware business.
    Did any of us ask for a new piece of hardware from BlackBerry. I think they are still in the Android Software business, right?
    anon(10123624) likes this.
    07-04-17 11:16 AM
    There is nothing wrong with the DTEK60 except BlackBerry's software support (and battery life...). Mine is 7 months old, has no scratches or damage, has a great screen, solid specs (better than keyone), access to the apps I need.

So the question is, where is the software support? Where is the customer service? I'm not going to let them walk away from the DTEKs without trying to get what I believe is fair support.

If you want to accept that they abandonded the phone after less than 7 months, fine. I will not. Once I sort our a replacement (that isn't a BlackBerry Branded phone), then I will go that route.
    07-04-17 11:22 AM
    There is nothing wrong with the DTEK60 except BlackBerry's software support (and battery life...). Mine is 7 months old, has no scratches or damage, has a great screen, solid specs (better than keyone), access to the apps I need.

So the question is, where is the software support? Where is the customer service? I'm not going to let them walk away from the DTEKs without trying to get what I believe is fair support.

If you want to accept that they abandonded the phone after less than 7 months, fine. I will not. Once I sort our a replacement (that isn't a BlackBerry Branded phone), then I will go that route.
    Buy a phone that makes you happy. You will have no problem selling your DTEK60 if it's in decent condition. Lots of us users don't care too much about Nougat, though we do care about the updates, which I expect to continue.

07-04-17 11:47 AM
    Buy a phone that makes you happy. You will have no problem selling your DTEK60 if it's in decent condition. Lots of us users don't care too much about Nougat, though we do care about the updates, which I expect to continue.

I did 7 months ago. Stop making excuses for them. It's pathetic.
    07-04-17 12:53 PM

Good advice about buying a phone that makes you happy. I am going to enjoy my 60 for the rest of the year and see how things go with TCL. It is not worth venting on CB anymore...life is too short.
    07-04-17 01:33 PM
    I did 7 months ago. Stop making excuses for them. It's pathetic.
    I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody. I am, by nature, detached and analytical. My profession is business operations, so calling something "good" or "bad" is not how I look at things, because I'm interested in the process that produces good and bad outcomes.

I am sharing my honest perceptions and experiences based on over twenty years of experience as an operations executive and consultant. That doesn't make me clairvoyant or right, but it's what I have to contribute.

I'm sorry if my analysis doesn't match your narrative, but the point of these discussions is not to "win" a thread by personally attacking people with different opinions.

You are not satisfied with BlackBerry's performance in terms of communications about monthly patching for the DTEK60. I am not, either. It's obviously poor. But you seem convinced that the only explanation is BlackBerry lying to customers, and I see other, more likely possibilities.

That's called a disagreement, and I would never tell someone else to stop disagreeing with me. But that seems to be your response to me?!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-04-17 01:56 PM

You're entitled to your emotions and feelings. I have always felt that I got what I paid for with BB considering I knew they were exiting the business. I feel confident we'll get the security updates although I don't expect never to have issues. They've had a pretty good record with me on all three android phones. Nothing is perfect and their record is better than other Android OEM that I own. I don't feel they've abandoned the phone after no June update. I also don't see the big deal. It's not like any phone will ever be 100% secure nor do I believe anybody below James Bond level really is endangered.
    07-04-17 02:27 PM
    I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody. I am, by nature, detached and analytical. My profession is business operations, so calling something "good" or "bad" is not how I look at things, because I'm interested in the process that produces good and bad outcomes.

I am sharing my honest perceptions and experiences based on over twenty years of experience as an operations executive and consultant. That doesn't make me clairvoyant or right, but it's what I have to contribute.

I'm sorry if my analysis doesn't match your narrative, but the point of these discussions is not to "win" a thread by personally attacking people with different opinions.

You are not satisfied with BlackBerry's performance in terms of communications about monthly patching for the DTEK60. I am not, either. It's obviously poor. But you seem convinced that the only explanation is BlackBerry lying to customers, and I see other, more likely possibilities.

That's called a disagreement, and I would never tell someone else to stop disagreeing with me. But that seems to be your response to me?!
    We clearly agree on a lot. Not trying to offend you, but it annoys me that so many here are willing to give BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt here. They put out the commitment to monthly updates. Day zero. They claim to have released it. Whether or not they are intentionally deceiving us does not matter. They continue to make false statements. They might not even know they are doing it. Hopefully after my constant complaining here and on twitter, someone has at least made them aware of the fact that their statements do not match reality.

CrackBerry is in a position to push them to clean up their communication and improve their support and I haven't seen anyone make an effort to do it.

It's not going to get better with everyone just sitting around and explaining it away. I'm sure you know that based on your 20 plus years of experience.
    07-04-17 03:13 PM
    We clearly agree on a lot. Not trying to offend you, but it annoys me that so many here are willing to give BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt here. They put out the commitment to monthly updates. Day zero. They claim to have released it. Whether or not they are intentionally deceiving us does not matter. They continue to make false statements. They might not even know they are doing it. Hopefully after my constant complaining here and on twitter, someone has at least made them aware of the fact that their statements do not match reality.

CrackBerry is in a position to push them to clean up their communication and improve their support and I haven't seen anyone make an effort to do it.

It's not going to get better with everyone just sitting around and explaining it away. I'm sure you know that based on your 20 plus years of experience.
    But they already changed their statement re: patches to "we try our best to provide monthly patches"

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 03:18 PM

It's not going to get better with everyone just sitting around and explaining it away.
    But it doesn't need to. BlackBerry has nothing to sell you anyway, so what's the point?

You can't really believe a handful of disgruntled DTEK owners will make any quantitative impact at all on future BlackBerry Mobile income.
    07-04-17 03:48 PM
    Just buy Samsung, Motorola, HTC, or Apple if you want at least two OS updates. Also, don't expect future BlackBerry/TCL to give you OS updates.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    07-04-17 03:57 PM
    So how far, and for how many years do you carry that notion?
    Are you honestly implying folks are crazy to expect more than 6-7 months?

That's just crazy ridiculous!
    07-04-17 04:11 PM
    Some of us think the DTEK60 is a pretty good device... best thing since Z30 (in my opinion... though an appropriately timed Z50 would have been better).

But BlackBerry can't get out of their own way long enough to succeed at anything.

Best thing since Z30... and they dump it?

Stupid... stupid... stupid.

... grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory kind of stupid.
    07-04-17 04:15 PM
276 ... 34567 ...