Nov5 Nov11 - build AAH487
    Dec5 Dec5 - build AAI039
    Jan5 Jan4 - build AAI470
    Feb5 Feb5 - build AAJ051
    Mar5 Mar9 - build AAJ934
    Apr5 missed
    May5 May8 - build AAL158
    Jun5 missed

2 of 8 had hiccups. The first was a technical issue involving a Qualcomm driver, and the second is unknown at present, but I would expect had to do with being overwhelmed in May from the KEYᵒⁿᵉ launch. I expect to see Jul back on schedule.
    I hope you're right, is that list from BlackBerry? Because I know I didn't get the January or February patch, I just can't remember which one
    07-01-17 08:42 AM
    I hope you're right, is that list from BlackBerry? Because I know I didn't get the January or February patch, I just can't remember which one
    That's my list, corroborated by this forum when people posted about having received the update.
    07-01-17 08:44 AM
    That's my list, corroborated by this forum when people posted about having received the update.
    I have to take your word for it. Which one was the culprit that messed up the Dtek app? Because the one that fixed it I didn't get, my phone still shows it as compromised.
    baldy3577 likes this.
    07-01-17 08:49 AM
    I 100% agree. If you want a guarantee of getting Android O, buy a phone from Google or from a company that has made an unambiguous commitment to upgrade to O.

Buying a BlackBerry, or any low volume phone from a small, niche company entails more risk than buying from Apple or Samsung. For me, the KEYone Is worth the risk, but that doesn't make it a good choice for everyone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Agreed. One problem however, is that the BlackBerry name isn't exactly synonymous with "small and niche" or low volume BUT that is exactly what the situation is today. Absolutely.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-17 09:12 AM
    I have to take your word for it. Which one was the culprit that messed up the Dtek app? Because the one that fixed it I didn't get, my phone still shows it as compromised.
    I never had the issue, so not sure when it was fixed.

If you still have the issue, you may actually have to consider you have a compromised system file.
    07-01-17 09:20 AM
    Agreed. One problem however, is that the BlackBerry name isn't exactly synonymous with "small and niche" or low volume BUT that is exactly what the situation is today. Absolutely.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has had a tiny market share for half a decade now. Even at their peak in 2008 they only had 80M active users, compare to 1.2+ billion smartphone users today.

07-01-17 09:35 AM
    I never had the issue, so not sure when it was fixed.

If you still have the issue, you may actually have to consider you have a compromised system file.
    Here is the article Blaze did

Overview

When opening the DTEK by BlackBerry application the Device security status shows as POOR and the following message is shown under Operating system integrity: The integrity of the operating system is compromised.

Cause

This issue is under investigation. A resolution is currently unavailable.

I know I read here that a monthly patch was going to fix it and the Bluetooth issue which I still have both issues
    07-01-17 11:26 AM
    Here is the article Blaze did

Overview

When opening the DTEK by BlackBerry application the Device security status shows as POOR and the following message is shown under Operating system integrity: The integrity of the operating system is compromised.

Cause

This issue is under investigation. A resolution is currently unavailable.

I know I read here that a monthly patch was going to fix it and the Bluetooth issue which I still have both issues
    That was a long time ago. Others with that specific false-positive issue reported it as having been fixed.

You may have an actual issue.
    07-01-17 11:47 AM
    That was a long time ago. Others with that specific false-positive issue reported it as having been fixed.

You may have an actual issue.
    Thanks calling BlackBerry support
    mellowjellow likes this.
    07-01-17 12:02 PM
    Thanks calling BlackBerry support
    You might as well do the factory reset. That's all they're going to tell you anyway. It doesn't take long.
    07-01-17 12:04 PM
    You might as well do the factory reset. That's all they're going to tell you anyway. It doesn't take long.
    Yeah I figured as much, I'm heading out of town for the week I'll do it when I get back because it will take a few days for the apps to settle down.
    07-01-17 12:09 PM
    BlackBerry has had a tiny market share for half a decade now. Even at their peak in 2008 they only had 80M active users, compare to 1.2+ billion smartphone users today.

You can't compare 80M from 2008 to 1.2+ billion in 2017

In 2008 most people were using feature phones, not smartphones.

BlackBerry had 50% of the smartphone market back then.

In any case, BlackBerry the BRAND isn't exactly synonymous with a niche company like for example, OnePlus back in 2014.

Or like Blu or a number of the many other start-up companies making cheap android phones.

If the average Joe buys a BlackBerry product, I'm positive they'd expect a certain level of service and reliability - doesn't matter the market share, that's not really an excuse loll

That was my point.

That being said - due to them being out of hardware and evidently only keeping a small team for their android software, and TCL being a low-volume company (based on alcatel at least), that's exactly what they've become. But the average consumer would never know this - only us folk who've been following them.

Like - would I be taking a "risk" on reliability and support if I buy an iphone? No.

Would I be taking a risk if I buy a BlackBerry branded phone? I know the answer is yes, average Joe would think the answer is no.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-17 11:38 AM
    You can't compare 80M from 2008 to 1.2+ billion in 2017

In 2008 most people were using feature phones, not smartphones.

BlackBerry had 50% of the smartphone market back then.

In any case, BlackBerry the BRAND isn't exactly synonymous with a niche company like for example, OnePlus back in 2014.

Or like Blu or a number of the many other start-up companies making cheap android phones.

If the average Joe buys a BlackBerry product, I'm positive they'd expect a certain level of service and reliability - doesn't matter the market share, that's not really an excuse loll

That was my point.

That being said - due to them being out of hardware and evidently only keeping a small team for their android software, and TCL being a low-volume company (based on alcatel at least), that's exactly what they've become. But the average consumer would never know this - only us folk who've been following them.

Like - would I be taking a "risk" on reliability and support if I buy an iphone? No.

Would I be taking a risk if I buy a BlackBerry branded phone? I know the answer is yes, average Joe would think the answer is no.

Posted via CB10
    I don't agree. If think the average Joe thinks BlackBerry went out of business years ago. I don't know anyone who thinks that BlackBerry is a major mobile phone company anymore.

07-02-17 11:47 AM
    Still missing the June security update for the DTEK60 so...
    Expect updates every other month.
    07-02-17 03:07 PM
    Expect updates every other month.
    Except the Priv hasn't missed any this year, and this is the first miss for the DTEK50.
    00stryder likes this.
    07-02-17 03:24 PM
    I don't agree. If think the average Joe thinks BlackBerry went out of business years ago. I don't know anyone who thinks that BlackBerry is a major mobile phone company anymore.

The average person might think BlackBerry went out of business years ago but when they see another device at the store, they still see a BlackBerry.

They still say "oh, they still make phones?" they've been saying that since bb10...

That's not the same thing as people equating BlackBerry with a no name start-up company where they EXPECT risks in service and reliability.

Whereas for BlackBerry, people might not take them seriously, joke about how "they still make phones? I thought they shut down years ago", they'd still expect a certain level of product support if they buy a KEYone...

I'm not arguing BlackBerry is seen as a major player, I'm arguing that they're still seen as a legitimate major company. As such, I wouldn't have ever expected them to launch and then just leave the dtek50 and 60 to EOL as far as OS updates go, within a few months.

Everyone knows BlackBerry has zero market share and if they see you with one, they think you're behind with the times...still doesn't mean that they'll think the KEYone, a brand new phone, will come with support risks.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-17 03:47 PM
    I only buy phones I feel good about keeping for 3-5 years. Keeping a phone for only two years would feel like a waste for me. I typically upgrade when the cell tech changes substantially.

I know I'm an outlier on these forums, but I just don't see why a phone should become obsolete that quickly for business use.

Gaming is another matter, but irrelevant for me.

...one of the reasons that I have only bought BlackBerry products...their longevity. Every one that I have owned, has been thoroughly worn out over 3 or so years...my Passport hardly feels broken in and I've been on it since they came out...

Posted on my Powerful Passport
    07-02-17 04:00 PM

Alright look, the best analogy I can think of is this:

It would be as if Microsoft - a very well known brand name, made the surface tablet. And it receives windows os updates each year as a new version comes out. This tablet is $500 usd.

Walmart sells, say - I dunno, a no name Chinese windows tablet - i'll just call it ABC Tab 7 loll
    It's $100...

If I don't receive any windows 11 update on the ABC Tab 7, I would not be surprised.

Now if Microsoft wasn't doing well and fell from grace, had zero marketshare...and shut down their hardware division but licensed the brand out to TCL to continue to make the Surface Tablet that is still $500...

Would I equate this Microsoft branded tablet to being akin to the ABC Tab in terms of uncertainty and risk? No, if I didn't know the backstory and details of Microsoft, I'd buy this $500 tablet expecting it to give me whatever os update life cycle as was typical for it...

I wouldn't be thinking "oh, well Microsoft isn't a major player anymore so I can't expect that much from them" lolll

Not only that, but if Microsoft repeatedly assured me "don't worry, our tablets will still be available, just via a different business model" we will focus on software, I definitely wouldn't be assuming there would be any risk buying "their" (branded) products...

The only reason why you and I both, would ever buy a BlackBerry phone knowing the risks involved, is because we know the details. The average consumer would never know this. They won't be thinking "oh, I know I'm buying this with the risk there won't be an os update" loll

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    07-02-17 04:01 PM
    The average person might think BlackBerry went out of business years ago but when they see another device at the store, they still see a BlackBerry.

They still say "oh, they still make phones?" they've been saying that since bb10...

That's not the same thing as people equating BlackBerry with a no name start-up company where they EXPECT risks in service and reliability.

Whereas for BlackBerry, people might not take them seriously, joke about how "they still make phones? I thought they shut down years ago", they'd still expect a certain level of product support if they buy a KEYone...

I'm not arguing BlackBerry is seen as a major player, I'm arguing that they're still seen as a legitimate major company. As such, I wouldn't have ever expected them to launch and then just leave the dtek50 and 60 to EOL as far as OS updates go, within a few months.

Everyone knows BlackBerry has zero market share and if they see you with one, they think you're behind with the times...still doesn't mean that they'll think the KEYone, a brand new phone, will come with support risks.

Posted via CB10
    OK, I see what you're saying. And I agree, if they were to stop patching the DTEK phones and the Priv, I would be very disappointed. But OS upgrades are a different matter. Marshmallow is still very much alive and maintained, by Google and BlackBerry, and won't be EOL for years. Currently, the latest Android to be designated EOL is 4.3, I think, so 6 will be with us for a long time!

07-02-17 04:36 PM
    Alright look, the best analogy I can think of is this:

It would be as if Microsoft - a very well known brand name, made the surface tablet. And it receives windows os updates each year as a new version comes out. This tablet is $500 usd.

Walmart sells, say - I dunno, a no name Chinese windows tablet - i'll just call it ABC Tab 7 loll
    It's $100...

If I don't receive any windows 11 update on the ABC Tab 7, I would not be surprised.

Now if Microsoft wasn't doing well and fell from grace, had zero marketshare...and shut down their hardware division but licensed the brand out to TCL to continue to make the Surface Tablet that is still $500...

Would I equate this Microsoft branded tablet to being akin to the ABC Tab in terms of uncertainty and risk? No, if I didn't know the backstory and details of Microsoft, I'd buy this $500 tablet expecting it to give me whatever os update life cycle as was typical for it...

I wouldn't be thinking "oh, well Microsoft isn't a major player anymore so I can't expect that much from them" lolll

Not only that, but if Microsoft repeatedly assured me "don't worry, our tablets will still be available, just via a different business model" we will focus on software, I definitely wouldn't be assuming there would be any risk buying "their" (branded) products...

The only reason why you and I both, would ever buy a BlackBerry phone knowing the risks involved, is because we know the details. The average consumer would never know this. They won't be thinking "oh, I know I'm buying this with the risk there won't be an os update" loll

Posted via CB10
    Just remember that companies are not responsible for what the customer thinks he or she is buying, beyond the explicit agreements that are made and consumer protection law. Just because a customer "feels" great about a purchase, that doesn't create a commitment by the company.

Obviously companies strive to meet and exceed customer expectations, but that doesn't mean they are committed to losing money to do so. At a certain point, they just do what they are responsible for legally.

You can think of it as a marriage that ends. During the marriage, couples try to meet and exceed each others' expectations. As the relationship is ending they may do their best to do the honorable and generous thing, but at a certain point, the only thing that matters is what the law requires.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 07-02-17 at 05:24 PM.
    07-02-17 04:44 PM
    ...one of the reasons that I have only bought BlackBerry products...their longevity. Every one that I have owned, has been thoroughly worn out over 3 or so years...my Passport hardly feels broken in and I've been on it since they came out...

That's what I've always enjoyed about BlackBerry devices too. My Z10 is almost as good as new more than four years in. I've kept most of my phones 3-4 years since 2001.

07-02-17 05:27 PM
    That's what I've always enjoyed about BlackBerry devices too. My Z10 is almost as good as new more than four years in. I've kept most of my phones 3-4 years since 2001.

...I've always kept a few since my 8910 (which I use as just a remote control for my media center Play Book)...for back up devices in the event of a break down...I keep them updated and charge them from time to time...although I've only been able to break out my Z30 when I cracked my screen on my Passport and had to wait on a new screen...it worked so well that when work wanted to 'upgrade' to Android phones from the old Q5's, I was allowed to use my old Z30 instead (as it and my work PC were tied together remotely with Link)...I used Cobalt's fix so I could run the two Android apps that they needed...I bought it at launch as well...but I forget when that was...lol...

07-02-17 05:41 PM
    Just remember that companies are not responsible for what the customer thinks he or she is buying, beyond the explicit agreements that are made and consumer protection law. Just because a customer "feels" great about a purchase, that doesn't create a commitment by the company.

Obviously companies strive to meet and exceed customer expectations, but that doesn't mean they are committed to losing money to do so. At a certain point, they just do what they are responsible for legally.

You can think of it as a marriage that ends. During the marriage, couples try to meet and exceed each others' expectations. As the relationship is ending they may do their best to do the honorable and generous thing, but at a certain point, the only thing that matters is what the law requires.

I know that loll

So what I'm saying is then - there is clearly a difference between the consumer side and company side.

I realize that BlackBerry isn't responsible for what the customer thinks they are buying, what I am saying is that what the average customer thinks they are getting, is, by way of what BlackBerry has done recently, way off the mark from what BlackBerry is giving.

Not saying who's right or wrong, as I agree BlackBerry isn't obligated to anything outside of the basic legal requirements.

But what I am saying is - don't think for one second the KEYone or the upcoming BlackBerry TCL phones later this year, will be immune from the same fate as the dtek50 and 60 because BlackBerry is still involved in this venture - and it is plausible for BlackBerry to be doing worse by the time TCL launches their other BlackBerry handsets. TCL can also be losing money on BlackBerry branded phones as well. As such, by next year, they both might just give up altogether.

No one knows, and all I'm saying is exactly what you're saying - BlackBerry isn't obligated to anything outside of basic support and their recent launch and casting aside of the dtek phones is a predictor of future behavior. Doesn't matter who's building and marketing the phones.

BlackBerry is doing exactly what you just described and as a result, I'd never pay $800+ CAD for something like the KEYone. Ever lolll

To me, it's just looks like a really really long and dragged out messy divorce to use your analogy...or a very slow and painful death to use another analogy. And we're at the tail end of it.

Hardware is already cut - makes it easy for a new owner to just get rid of it completely, software team included.

They didn't see any benefit to updating the 50 and 60 to nougat (more like they didn't want to waste money or time)

Software team is already small to the point where they can't keep up with what they touted as a differentiation selling point (day zero updates) and they've now changed it to "we try our best to provide..."

The writings on the wall guys.

Honestly it will take a miracle for TCL to turn the brand around.

I know this sounds doom and gloom but that's not my point - it's that I feel bad for anyone buying the KEYone who's thinking they're going to get a typical os support (ie. At least one os version update). These folks aren't aware of what exactly they're buying into.

For folks like yourself and others, who are aware of the risk - by all means do your BlackBerry thing. I only use their launcher on my android phones myself so I get it.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-17 06:57 PM
    don't think for one second the KEYone or the upcoming BlackBerry TCL phones later this year, will be immune from the same fate as the dtek50 and 60 because BlackBerry is still involved in this venture.

TCL can also be losing money on BlackBerry branded phones as well. As such, by next year, they both might just give up altogether.
    I just think it's wild speculation to suggest a connection with TCL's potential behaviour to BlackBerry's current behaviour. You can bet that TCL contractually shored up what it requires of BlackBerry in its new position as a vendor to TCL - no way TCL would have spent tens of millions on this without significant legal assurances.
    07-02-17 07:05 PM
    I just think it's wild speculation to suggest a connection with TCL's potential behaviour to BlackBerry's current behaviour. You can bet that TCL contractually shored up what it requires of BlackBerry in its new position as a vendor to TCL - no way TCL would have spent millions on this without significant legal assurances.
    No man, I'm not talking about TCL's behavior at all...TCL wants to make money for sure.

Also, your speculation is as wild as mine loll

I'm not falling for your "no way they would do this etc" logic anymore loll

For all we know, maybe TCL only asked BlackBerry for security updates but not OS updates...you don't know that.

All I'm saying is - I'm erring on the side of caution rather than optimism given BlackBerry's recent track record.

Still love your input and insight though

Posted via CB10
    07-02-17 07:08 PM
276 12345 ...