I freely admit that I am not prepared to say that hardened-Marshmallow is more secure than vanilla-Nougat.

Equally, you cannot say that vanilla-Nougat is more sure than hardened-Marshmallow and thus is required to fulfill some obligation.
    Isn't BlackBerry Hardened Nougat more secure than Blackberry-hardened Marshmallow? It has to be, right? So, My most secure device, is less secure than the Keyone? If they are going to follow through with the promise of providing the most secure devices. How can they provide a more secure device to a licensee but not provide the same level of security to their own direct customers? Well, I know they can, but that's pretty pathetic.

From their Security document:
    Security maintenance releases Each month, Google™ releases a security bulletin containing a list of recently discovered Android vulnerabilities to BlackBerry and other Android OEMs. BlackBerry will release these security maintenance releases (SMRs) to users that have purchased
    BlackBerry: Your partner for Android security and privacy
    devices through shopblackberry.com and to resellers (carriers and other authorized dealers) that have agreed to participate in our regular SMR program and deliver our SMRs OTA to their subscribers.
    Attached Files
    06-28-17 05:33 PM
    Isn't BlackBerry Hardened Nougat more secure than Blackberry-hardened Marshmallow? It has to be, right? So, My most secure device, is less secure than the Keyone? If they are going to follow through with the promise of providing the most secure devices. How can they provide a more secure device to a licensee but not provide the same level of security to their own direct customers? Well, I know they can, but that's pretty pathetic.

From their Security document:
    Security maintenance releases Each month, Google™ releases a security bulletin containing a list of recently discovered Android vulnerabilities to BlackBerry and other Android OEMs. BlackBerry will release these security maintenance releases (SMRs) to users that have purchased
    BlackBerry: Your partner for Android security and privacy
    devices through shopblackberry.com and to resellers (carriers and other authorized dealers) that have agreed to participate in our regular SMR program and deliver our SMRs OTA to their subscribers.
    So how far, and for how many years do you carry that notion?
    06-28-17 07:00 PM
    More than 6 months. Google has pretty much set the standard at 2 years which is typically the average lifetime for a phone.
    06-28-17 07:09 PM
    More than 6 months. Google has pretty much set the standard at 2 years which is typically the average lifetime for a phone.
    I only buy phones I feel good about keeping for 3-5 years. Keeping a phone for only two years would feel like a waste for me. I typically upgrade when the cell tech changes substantially.

I know I'm an outlier on these forums, but I just don't see why a phone should become obsolete that quickly for business use.

Gaming is another matter, but irrelevant for me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-28-17 07:28 PM
    I only buy phones I feel good about keeping for 3-5 years. Keeping a phone for only two years would feel like a waste for me. I typically upgrade when the cell tech changes substantially.

I know I'm an outlier on these forums, but I just don't see why a phone should become obsolete that quickly for business use.

Gaming is another matter, but irrelevant for me.

I agree. With the specs some of these new phones have, ram, processors etc. They are equivalent to having a laptop in your pocket.
    If taken care of they should last well over 2 years.
    06-28-17 07:37 PM
    As long as he uses his device that advertised as most secure android. Am I wrong? Or at least say 3 years.
    06-28-17 08:03 PM
    As long as the cellular specifications can support the update. Abandoned after six months, a real joke.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-28-17 11:08 PM
    As long as the cellular specifications can support the update. Abandoned after six months, a real joke.
    Monthly updates != abandoned

The phone is still actively supported. You are free to complain about not getting the update, but you really can't call the phone "abandoned" without severely straining credulity

06-29-17 07:53 AM
    Monthly updates != abandoned

The phone is still actively supported. You are free to complain about not getting the update, but you really can't call the phone "abandoned" without severely straining credulity

Missed two of the last 3 updates. If that is any indication of things to come, then calling it abandoned isn't that far off. At least you can say they have not met their goals laid out in the marketing materials.
    00stryder and HughJarsse like this.
    06-29-17 08:02 AM
    Missed two of the last 3 updates. If that is any indication of things to come, then calling it abandoned isn't that far off. At least you can say they have not met their goals laid out in the marketing materials.
    I would expect monthly patches for no less than three years, and I'd be disappointed with less than four. If the timing is a bit irregular that wouldn't bug me because the scope of work is highly variable based on the content of the updates.

I don't have a problem letting them off the hook for Nougat, but only if the patches are managed properly.

06-29-17 08:52 AM
    I would expect monthly patches for no less than three years, and I'd be disappointed with less than four. If the timing is a bit irregular that wouldn't bug me because the scope of work is highly variable based on the content of the updates.

I don't have a problem letting them off the hook for Nougat, but only if the patches are managed properly.

I'd be happy with two years from sale of the last device.

But it'll probably be two years from the sale of the first device.
    06-29-17 08:56 AM

That certainly seems like a possibility. I have a hard time with the idea that a phone is considered obsolete and unsupported while it still has the current bands and works perfectly well and was marketed with a clear commitment to ongoing patches. At a certain point, Google will EOL Marshmallow, and I have no problem with BlackBerry stopping routine patching at that point, obviously, unless Google issues new patches.

06-29-17 09:04 AM
    I hate Samsung because they keep giving me update that I didn't pay for lol.
    06-29-17 10:08 AM

Unfortunately, it was only 5 months. And now its every other month apparently.
    06-29-17 11:23 AM
    Unfortunately, it was only 5 months. And now its every other month apparently.
    I'm not including hiccups.
    06-29-17 11:56 AM
    it almost seems like if it doesn't get nougat, conite would be happy
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-30-17 09:41 PM
    I hope blackberry is holding its breath or drank a glass of water. what's the cure for hiccups again? maybe they just need someone to jump out of the bushes and scare them.

or maybe the hiccups won't go away. they did leave the business and have cut their losses. so why support the "legacy" devices at all.
    06-30-17 09:46 PM
    it almost seems like if it doesn't get nougat, conite would be happy
    Not at all. I'd love to have Nougat on my DTEK60.

But maintaining the flow of security patches sufficiently meets the expected obligations, imo.
    06-30-17 11:39 PM

But maintaining the flow of security patches sufficiently meets the expected obligations, imo.
    Except the flow hasn't been meeting expectations. Of course, we will continue to keep it under the microscope going forward.
    07-01-17 01:13 AM
    don't forget. it's just a hiccup.
    07-01-17 06:43 AM
    don't forget. it's just a hiccup.
    A big *ss hiccup, 3 of the last 7 patches had hiccups.
    07-01-17 06:58 AM
    I tend to think BlackBerry was simply stupid to commit the engineering team to monthly patches when they couldn't product the scope of work from month to month, since they have to analyze and respond to whatever changes the Google Android team makes.

07-01-17 07:34 AM

Just make sure you don't start talking about the KEYone and android O please lolll!

At this point, no one should have any expectations at all from either BlackBerry or TCL. You buy the phone as is and hope for the security updates continue for as long as possible, that's about it.

Contrary to what some say around here, their last earnings report was not good - and the profit DID come from the lawsuit settlement...

Posted via CB10
    07-01-17 07:52 AM
    Just make sure you don't start talking about the KEYone and android O please lolll!

At this point, no one should have any expectations at all from either BlackBerry or TCL. You buy the phone as is and hope for the security updates continue for as long as possible, that's about it.

Contrary to what some say around here, their last earnings report was not good - and the profit DID come from the lawsuit settlement...

Posted via CB10
    I 100% agree. If you want a guarantee of getting Android O, buy a phone from Google or from a company that has made an unambiguous commitment to upgrade to O.

Buying a BlackBerry, or any low volume phone from a small, niche company entails more risk than buying from Apple or Samsung. For me, the KEYone Is worth the risk, but that doesn't make it a good choice for everyone.

07-01-17 08:17 AM
    A big *ss hiccup, 3 of the last 7 patches had hiccups.
    Nov5 Nov11 - build AAH487
    Dec5 Dec5 - build AAI039
    Jan5 Jan4 - build AAI470
    Feb5 Feb5 - build AAJ051
    Mar5 Mar9 - build AAJ934
    Apr5 missed
    May5 May8 - build AAL158
    Jun5 missed

2 of 8 had hiccups. The first was a technical issue involving a Qualcomm driver, and the second is unknown at present, but I would expect had to do with being overwhelmed in May from the KEYᵒⁿᵉ launch. I expect to see Jul back on schedule.
    07-01-17 08:36 AM
276 1234 ...