Hiiii can anybody tell me when the blackberry dtek60 will get nougat update?
    Vural-onur likes this.
    06-25-17 07:16 PM
    Sometime between tomorrow and never. Serious answer.

BlackBerry hasn't decided yet if they will offer it - which is probably code for NO.
    Last edited by conite; 06-25-17 at 10:04 PM.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-25-17 07:17 PM
    Just don't expect it
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-25-17 07:23 PM
    Don't we have a few threads already ? LOL......
    krazyatom and jamesharmeling like this.
    06-25-17 07:26 PM
    Sorry to disappoint you OP but no nougat for priv, dtek series. BlackBerry corporate users doesn't care about OS updates.
    06-25-17 07:31 PM
    Sorry to disappoint you OP but no nougat for priv, dtek series. BlackBerry corporate users doesn't care about OS updates.
    But didn't Chen himself keep selling the notion that android would finally reach security parity with bb10 only once they have hardened nougat...
    06-25-17 09:08 PM
    But didn't Chen himself keep selling the notion that android would finally reach security parity with bb10 only once they have hardened nougat...
    Security patches continue to flow. There's a difference between OS upgrades and security patches.
    06-25-17 09:29 PM
    Still missing the June security update for the DTEK60 so...
    xandros9 and chi-town311 like this.
    06-25-17 10:35 PM
    Security patches continue to flow. There's a difference between OS upgrades and security patches.
    Flow? Haha
    06-26-17 01:43 PM
    The hardware on the DTEK60 is pretty new. Barely a year old and I think even more powerful than what's in the K1. I don't understand why it wouldn't get an update to nougat.

Even the samsung S6 with older hardware got the update to nougat a couple of weeks ago. Blackberry need to step up their game in this front.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-27-17 02:55 PM
    The hardware on the DTEK60 is pretty new. Barely a year old and I think even more powerful than what's in the K1. I don't understand why it wouldn't get an update to nougat.

Even the samsung S6 with older hardware got the update to nougat a couple of weeks ago. Blackberry need to step up their game in this front.
    Because BlackBerry does not want to sink any more money into its defunct device business. It's as simple as that. They will continue with security patches and technical support.

TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) is an unrelated company that has grabbed the baton for BlackBerry-branded devices going forward.

How you choose to deal with that is up to you.
    06-27-17 02:58 PM
    Just wondering how this thread got on the trending list earlier today when they other thread on the same forum has over 100 posts today.
    06-27-17 07:03 PM
    Just wondering how this thread got on the trending list earlier today when they other thread on the same forum has over 100 posts today.
    Because conite forgot to remove it, only key1 is allowed on the trending list jk
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-27-17 08:58 PM
    Because conite forgot to remove it, only key1 is allowed on the trending list jk
    Ouch.
    06-27-17 09:01 PM
    Ouch.
    Got harass you
    06-27-17 09:06 PM
    Haha. Good one
    06-27-17 09:15 PM
    Because BlackBerry does not want to sink any more money into its defunct device business. It's as simple as that. They will continue with security patches and technical support.

TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) is an unrelated company that has grabbed the baton for BlackBerry-branded devices going forward.

How you choose to deal with that is up to you.
    I understand what you say, on the other hand I don't completely agree. The DTEK60 was produced by TCL as well. I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Posted with my BB Passport
    06-28-17 04:54 AM
    I understand what you say, on the other hand I don't completely agree. The DTEK60 was produced by TCL as well. I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Posted with my BB Passport
    TCL only acted as a hardware vendor to BlackBerry on the DTEKs. That's it.
    06-28-17 06:47 AM
    BlackBerry is a software company that provided a secure nougat software to TCL for the KeyOne. So they still are in the software business. They will continue to be in the software business as long as they have contracts with the licensed companies. what is being presented here is the feelings questioning if they will be loyal to their former customers ---the consumers who bought the Priv and Dteks and provide the software update.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-28-17 11:00 AM
    BlackBerry is a software company that provided a secure nougat software to TCL for the KeyOne. So they still are in the software business. They will continue to be in the software business as long as they have contracts with the licensed companies. what is being presented here is the feelings questioning if they will be loyal to their former customers ---the consumers who bought the Priv and Dteks and provide the software update.
    So, loyalty can ONLY be provided by Nougat?

I'm also not sure why anyone expects "loyalty". I expect a seller to uphold his end of the bargain as described at the time of sale. I'm not sure Nougat is required to uphold the seller's end of the contract.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-28-17 11:07 AM
    So, loyalty can ONLY be provided by Nougat?

I'm also not sure why anyone expects "loyalty". I expect a seller to uphold his end of the bargain as described at the time of sale. I'm not sure Nougat is required to uphold the seller's end of the contract.
    Nougat is required to provide the most secure OS. That is what I bought. That is what they sold.
    Greig Craig likes this.
    06-28-17 12:56 PM
    Nougat is required to provide the most secure OS. That is what I bought. That is what they sold.
    Then you have to prove that vanilla Nougat is more secure than BlackBerry-hardened Marshmallow.

This is not straightforward as there are a lot of extra things BlackBerry has done that have not been replicated by Nougat.

Most Nougat devices have unlocked bootloaders, can be rooted, don't have real time Integrity Detection, and don't require signing keys to install system software.
    06-28-17 12:58 PM
    You have your opinion and I have the right to mine and to post it. I have nothing against TCL and their selling phones labeled BlackBerry. My comments relate to BlackBerry Ltd still being in the phone software business and my opinion about software for these phones. Unless you have inside knowledge to support your continuing position about how the most secure software definition doesn't mean offering nougat, it is only your opinion. We can agree to disagree until the actual facts are made public by BlackBerry Ltd.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-28-17 01:12 PM
    We can agree to disagree until the actual facts are made public by BlackBerry Ltd.
    That's the hard part. Rarely if ever do they come out and definitively confirm "it's EOL/it's getting updated". They did an EOL announcement for the Classic but not for any other device in recent memory, and I think that was only to clarify reports that all BB10 devices are EOL. At best they stick a little notice on their software lifecycle page, or put out a meaningless platitude saying "we're committed to the platform" or something like that. Even if they come out and say something will be updated it hasn't always worked out.

To be honest, the only way to be sure the DTEKs will get Nougat is an OTA update notification.
    06-28-17 01:20 PM
    You have your opinion and I have the right to mine and to post it. I have nothing against TCL and their selling phones labeled BlackBerry. My comments relate to BlackBerry Ltd still being in the phone software business and my opinion about software for these phones. Unless you have inside knowledge to support your continuing position about how the most secure software definition doesn't mean offering nougat, it is only your opinion. We can agree to disagree until the actual facts are made public by BlackBerry Ltd.
    I freely admit that I am not prepared to say that hardened-Marshmallow is more secure than vanilla-Nougat.

Equally, you cannot say that vanilla-Nougat is more sure than hardened-Marshmallow and thus is required to fulfill some obligation.
    06-28-17 01:23 PM
276 123 ...