Any idea when the Nougat will be released for this phone? I've seen some pretty neat demo's of it on other phones, such as multitasking. I know BlackBerry is quick with updates but when is Nougat going to release!
    12-09-16 10:15 AM
    I would assume we will see it end of Q1 / Start of Q2 2017. No official date has been set.

They are quick on releasing the security patches but not necessarily quick on major OS releases.

I am awaiting Nougat as I came from a Nexus 6 to a DTEK60 but the features added in 7.0 are not big enough of a change for me personally to be overly excited.

For comparison sakes on the Priv:

6.0 released on Nexus devices in Oct 2015.
    6.0 released for the Priv in late Apr 2016.
    12-09-16 10:48 AM
    android N will debut on the new device is my guess with it being released on other devices around the same time. In other worlds 3 months out still or close to it.

If you want a device with the latest version of android on it then a BB should not be your choice of device as it will always be behind by 6 months I would guess
    Last edited by howarmat; 12-09-16 at 11:48 AM.
    tfitzpat03 and TgeekB like this.
    12-09-16 10:59 AM
    Surprised if BlackBerry takes that long for nougat update. Conspires like Motorola and Sony are already releasing the update. They're traditionally slower to get android updates. I hope BlackBerry releases it in Jan
    12-09-16 11:14 AM
    Blackberry has a lot of security under the android skin no one else does so all the "kernal harding" and testing takes time. But because Blackberry is so on top of security updates they are likely the only brand I'd choose outside of the Nexus/Pixel lineup. That said who knows what will happen in the future, it's not like blackberry hasn't left ownets high and dry before (cough cough PLAYBOOK cough cough!)

Motorola is actually pretty close to stock android, so close they rolled out 7.1.1 today to the moto Z force. They are slower to roll out updates to older, lesser hardware however.
    12-09-16 04:20 PM
    android N will debut on the new device is my guess with it being released on other devices around the same time. In other worlds 3 months out still or close to it.

If you want a device with the latest version of android on it then a BB should not be your choice of device as it will always be behind by 6 months I would guess
    I was just wondering lol I'm in no rush to get Nougat as Marshmallow is pretty fast as it is.
    12-11-16 05:23 PM
    As others said, I think it will take some time to have an Update to Nougat for any BB device, not only the DTEK60.

As I understand, the hardware requirements changed for Nougat and if not jumping from one OS to another gives a lot of work for the developers.

Another thing is, if the actual OS (version) works OK they won't pushes to release an update, I think BB should be working in some others projects and maybe they don't have enough people to have that task done in just months.
    12-11-16 05:35 PM
    Don't be surprised if the 50 doesn't get nougat at all

#whatisclassic
    12-11-16 06:20 PM

#whatisclassic
    Marshmallow is great. In no rush for N
    12-11-16 06:51 PM

#whatisclassic
    Utter nonsense. Of course it will get it. Now smartphones with only 2gb of ram...well thats another story
    12-11-16 07:37 PM
    Utter nonsense. Of course it will get it. Now smartphones with only 2gb of ram...well thats another story
    My wife's Nexus 5X is running Nougat just fine with 2GB of RAM.
    12-11-16 10:52 PM
    My wife's Nexus 5X is running Nougat just fine with 2GB of RAM.
    I'm not saying it wouldn't but perhaps third party builders would be more hesitant to update a device limited ram.
    12-11-16 11:28 PM
    Surprised if BlackBerry takes that long for nougat update. Conspires like Motorola and Sony are already releasing the update. They're traditionally slower to get android updates. I hope BlackBerry releases it in Jan
    It takes long because they have to secure the os from the ground up.
    12-11-16 11:51 PM
    It takes long because they have to secure the os from the ground up.
    In the echo chamber of the internet, it seems like "Blackberry hardening the OS" is a common refrain, but other than their own statement that they have improved on ASLR, we really don't know what hardening the OS means. Therefore, there is really no way for us to measure the value of the supposed improvements, and there is also no way for us to know if the delays to Nougat are justified. I have Nougat on my Nexii and it's really not a big deal. The round icons are ********.
    12-12-16 12:18 PM
    In the echo chamber of the internet, it seems like "Blackberry hardening the OS" is a common refrain, but other than their own statement that they have improved on ASLR, we really don't know what hardening the OS means. Therefore, there is really no way for us to measure the value of the supposed improvements, and there is also no way for us to know if the delays to Nougat are justified. I have Nougat on my Nexii and it's really not a big deal. The round icons are ********.
    Proof is in the pudding I guess.

The supposedly unrootable Verizon Google Pixel with Nougat was rooted in a few days. BlackBerry Android is over a year old, and no dice.
    Randal Yandal likes this.
    12-12-16 12:37 PM
    Proof is in the pudding I guess.

The supposedly unrootable Verizon Google Pixel with Nougat was rooted in a few days. BlackBerry Android is over a year old, and no dice.
    It was rooted in 60 seconds wasn't it?
    12-12-16 08:45 PM
    Yes.

Meanwhile the Priv has been out for a year and... no root. I've owned one for a year and put in a fairly decent effort at it. Failed.

Nor has anyone (including myself) been able to root the 60. And yes, I've tried.
    12-12-16 09:05 PM
    Yes.

Meanwhile the Priv has been out for a year and... no root. I've owned one for a year and put in a fairly decent effort at it. Failed.

Nor has anyone (including myself) been able to root the 60. And yes, I've tried.
    Just curious, what kit or tools did you use?
    12-16-16 01:08 PM
    I don't do "kits" nor do I release my personal set of tools.
    LuvULongTime and jlinc like this.
    12-16-16 02:50 PM