After 15 years of only using BlackBerry phones, I switched to the Pixel 2 XL. I wanted a phone that I know is going to have OS upgrades, like I used to have with BlackBerry. My last phone was the DTEK 60 that I bought from BlackBerry for over $750 and had assumed that it would at least be upgraded to Nougat. I only got $275 when I sold it after 13 months.

I am telling other DTEK 60 owners that the newer OS's (Nougat and Oreo) provide a much better user experience with better native apps (phone and camera) and much better overall visual experience. Not providing a upgrade to Nougat was unacceptable for me.

I lost confidence in BlackBerry's commitment to their loyal customer base and I don't know if BlackBerry Mobile will be much better.

My investment in phones for myself and my business will be better protected by switching to a phone where the hardware and OS are made by the same company. Does limit the choices.
    anon(10218918) and Joemcbb like this.
    01-23-18 09:50 AM
    Confidence in BlackBerry's commitment... went out the door when Thor put up the For Sale Sign. Anyone buying BB10 or Android from BlackBerry or Android from BBMo has taken a risk. For most that worked out OK, some it hasn't, some only time will tell.

But the idea of BlackBerry being some nice and friendly company with the needs of the loyal customers at the forefront of all their decision... I learn with the STORM that was a fantasy, PlayBook backed that up and Z10/BB10 was enough.
    Wezard and Joemcbb like this.
    01-23-18 10:18 AM
    Anyone buying ... Android from BBMo has taken a risk.
    Perhaps, but the same can be said for almost ANY phone apart from Samsung, Google, and Apple.
    01-23-18 10:38 AM
    Perhaps, but the same can be said for almost ANY phone apart from Samsung, Google, and Apple.
    Which is why they own most of the US market....

But TCL is in much worse shape than Lenovo/Motorola, Huawei, OnePlus, LG or even Sony. And as a delisted private Chinese company, really no way to know how they are doing now with the reorganization.

BBMo guys can be surprised by sales and markets all they want, but in the end BBMo is a drop in the bucket for TCL and even with success might not help if they can't fix their overall business model.
    01-23-18 12:08 PM
    BBMo guys can be surprised by sales and markets all they want, but in the end BBMo is a drop in the bucket for TCL and even with success might not help if they can't fix their overall business model.
    I see that as no different from Sony, Motorola, or LG. Any of them could make a strategic decision tomorrow to get out of handsets.
    tryanfixit likes this.
    01-23-18 12:22 PM
    Which is why they own most of the US market....

But TCL is in much worse shape than Lenovo/Motorola, Huawei, OnePlus, LG or even Sony. And as a delisted private Chinese company, really no way to know how they are doing now with the reorganization.

Phones are an expense, not an investment. I buy mine with the expectation of using them for 2-3 years. I don't require anything more than critical security and bug patches to get full value from my phone. One reason I'm so delighted with my Z10 is that it's been great for almost five years.

If you want to maximize the likelihood of receiving OS version upgrades, but from Apple or Google. For me, I care a lot more about design, software, and the physical interface.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-23-18 12:42 PM
    At least we have a Jan patch. AAT497. Released today.
    01-23-18 05:11 PM
    still waiting for December patch as is others here
    01-23-18 07:48 PM
    Very good points. As bad as people say Apple can be, last year they dropped support for the I Phone 3. An amazing run with a coupon to upgrade. My friend did, to anI Phone 4S....lol
    01-24-18 06:19 PM
    I'm still on the Nov security patch as I've tried the Google play services trick multiple times and it didn't work for me. So I gave up on it if I'm meant to get another monthly security update perhaps they'll release it where we don't have to jump through so many steps just to be current. Besides the whole point of being updated from their end means they should know what their doing its their software after all. I don't want to wipe my device just for a what if scenario and I shouldn't have too.
    01-24-18 07:05 PM
    I'm still on the Nov security patch as I've tried the Google play services trick multiple times and it didn't work for me. So I gave up on it if I'm meant to get another monthly security update perhaps they'll release it where we don't have to jump through so many steps just to be current. Besides the whole point of being updated from their end means they should know what their doing its their software after all. I don't want to wipe my device just for a what if scenario and I shouldn't have too.
    BlackBerry knows exactly what they are doing. They won't spend the money to update their tools when there are only a few months left of Android M patches left anyway.

It's a simple procedure that only takes a couple of minutes. I'd try again.
    01-24-18 07:11 PM
    if there's no way to know how they are doing how can we know they are in "much worse shape than Lenovo/Motorola, Huawei, OnePlus, LG or even Sony"
    01-25-18 08:55 PM
    I see that as no different from Sony, Motorola, or LG. Any of them could make a strategic decision tomorrow to get out of handsets.
    Very true...LG is already changing their launch strategy of flagship phones. They may get away from yearly phone releases and go every 2 years. The phone division is losing money... there other divisions are doing well financially.
    02-05-18 09:41 PM
    I can't believe the OP only got 275 for the device, they seem to resell for pretty good numbers due to its limited availability
    02-05-18 10:17 PM
    Very true...LG is already changing their launch strategy of flagship phones. They may get away from yearly phone releases and go every 2 years. The phone division is losing money... there other divisions are doing well financially.
    They also have decided to pull out of China.... which might be what TCL has to do too.

But the smartphone market is following in the steps of the PC market. Phones are pretty much a commodity now and the market won't support all these vendors... Let's face it, the OS is the same on most any Android phone, the apps are the same and in the end the basic components are the same.... few design differences, pricing differences, and support differences.

Brands already in trouble, don't stand much of a chance.
    02-06-18 08:15 AM
    Exactly. We most recently saw this with TVs. In the mid-2000s, there were hundreds of TV brands, because any company that could slap together a panel, speakers, and a remote were making flat-screen HDTVs. And people bought them like crazy, with many people buying purely on price.

But that was unsustainable, because none of those small companies could afford to support the TVs that they sold, so when they broke, they weren't able to be fixed, and the entire investment was lost. Most people soon learned to buy from a major brand that actually provided support, and the majority of those TV companies and brand names evaporated as fast as they had sprung up. Today, there are fewer than 10 brands of TVs sold in the US, where there were more than 60 in 2006. And big players like Pioneer, Sharp, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi left the market (the Sharp brand has been licensed to Hisense, but the TVs are cheap and support is worse, and Sharp is trying to void the licensing contract because Hisense is giving the whole brand a bad reputation - Sharp still makes many non-TV products).

Over the next 2-3 years, expect to see 2/3 of today's phone brands leave the smartphone market. Some will be bought, others will license their name, and the rest will simply go bankrupt. The consolidation is already underway.
    02-13-18 07:47 PM
    Yeah, and some of the worst offenders when it comes to using intentionally-cheapened parts (especially capacitors in the power section) is Samsung -- particularly in monitors, which share the same "guts" on the display side as does a TV.

The manufacturer saves 10 cents a capacitor but the difference in service life is measured in years as a consequence. So long as it gets out of warranty they do not care. I've lost count of the number of monitors I've fixed for myself and friends that required only a handful of capacitor replacements to restore them to full functionality at a cost of a few dollars.

The myth of "support" is just that -- a myth. Yes, if the failure happens IN warranty then it matters a lot (for obvious reasons) but OUT of warranty it does NOT matter, and if you think being one of the big names means the manufacturer won't do that sort of thing in an attempt to save a few dimes on product cost YOU'RE DEAD WRONG.
    02-14-18 11:33 AM
    This is very true and its unfortunate for us who otherwise like BlackBerry's former approach to smartphones and software. Sort of painful actually because we feel that if BlackBerry only payed attention to such details they would do much better in this sector. Obviously they don't think so. I use my smartphone for a lot of business type applications and I depend on the hub, how file attachments are handled, as well as the calendar and contacts. These used to be much more important to BlackBerry. Now it's commitment to the "smart" in the phone seems less intelligent. I wish otherwise. I don't know how much investment it is now doing in phone software but it does not seem a lot. My belief is that if they hired a committee of users such as you, Kevin and a few others, they could own the business segment... and carve out a profitable niche.
    02-18-18 08:53 AM