A bit of context... I got the BlackBerry DTEK60 during the spring last year (2017). At the time it was a choice between the BlackBerry DTEK60 which had just gone on sale for CA$612 (regular CA$650) or the Google Pixel XL which was on sale for CA$949 (regular CA$1,049). Considering both had the same RAM (4 GB), storage (32 GB), and similar SOC (Snapdragon 820 v. 821) I did not see the point of paying an extra CA$337 for the Pixel XL just to get a better camera.

This morning I went to Costco with my business partner and just for fun I checked his Google Pixel 2 XL from Bell to see what the Android security patch level was. Much to my surprise it was June 5, 2018. For the record my BlackBerry DTEK60 is on the June 5, 2018 Android security patch level which I got the update for on July 9, 2018.

My criticism more than anything is now that cell phone "locking" has been banned in Canada by the CRTC since December 1, 2017 why are we still waiting for carrier updates?

I know that Google is the best for updates on factory unlocked smartphones, and Samsung with updates every quarter for factory unlocked flagship smartphones is definitely not the best. I had thought that Google would have a similar deal with carriers as Apple does where they manage the updates and they get pushed out without delay to the Pixel smartphones, but I was wrong.

Whatever my next smartphone is it is going to be factory unlocked. My first factory unlocked smartphone was the BlackBerry Z30 and I have never looked at another smartphone that is not factory unlocked since.

P.S.
    I know that the iPhone is the only smartphone you can get through a carrier where the carrier does not manage the updates, but the higher rate plan they push (force) you towards and the higher starting price do not make that a viable option for me. Gifts or work smartphones are a different matter, but that is not happening any time soon.
    07-13-18 02:12 PM
    This morning I went to Costco with my business partner and just for fun I checked his Google Pixel 2 XL from Bell to see what the Android security patch level was. Much to my surprise it was June 5, 2018. For the record my BlackBerry DTEK60 is on the June 5, 2018 Android security patch level which I got the update for on July 9, 2018.
    Did you check what version of Android each phone was running?
    07-13-18 03:03 PM
    A bit of context... I got the BlackBerry DTEK60 during the spring last year (2017). At the time it was a choice between the BlackBerry DTEK60 which had just gone on sale for CA$612 (regular CA$650) or the Google Pixel XL which was on sale for CA$949 (regular CA$1,049). Considering both had the same RAM (4 GB), storage (32 GB), and similar SOC (Snapdragon 820 v. 821) I did not see the point of paying an extra CA$337 for the Pixel XL just to get a better camera.

My criticism more than anything is now that cell phone "locking" has been banned in Canada by the CRTC since December 1, 2017 why are we still waiting for carrier updates?

I know that Google is the best for updates on factory unlocked smartphones, and Samsung with updates every quarter for factory unlocked flagship smartphones is definitely not the best. I had thought that Google would have a similar deal with carriers as Apple does where they manage the updates and they get pushed out without delay to the Pixel smartphones, but I was wrong.

Whatever my next smartphone is it is going to be factory unlocked. My first factory unlocked smartphone was the BlackBerry Z30 and I have never looked at another smartphone that is not factory unlocked since.

P.S.
    I know that the iPhone is the only smartphone you can get through a carrier where the carrier does not manage the updates, but the higher rate plan they push (force) you towards and the higher starting price do not make that a viable option for me. Gifts or work smartphones are a different matter, but that is not happening any time soon.
    Just because a phone is factory-unlocked, doesn't mean carriers still can't control updates.

With the Motion and KEY², there is a separate device variant made for each carrier, so updates can still be withheld until approved.
    07-13-18 03:22 PM
    Did you check what version of Android each phone was running?
    LOL I might have intentionally omitted that from my post. To answer your question my BlackBerry DTEK60 is on Android 6.0.1 and my business partner's Google Pixel 2 XL is on Android 8.1.0.

To be fair the Pixel XL will be getting 3 years of security updates and the BlackBerry DTEK60 will only be getting 2 years (most likely) of updates.

Security updates are the only thing I care about. Since both smartphones came out at the same time they roughly work out to the same cost per year in terms of the annualized cost of the device during the support period for security updates. The BlackBerry DTEK60 is CA$306 per year and the Google Pixel XL is CA$316 per year.

To your point the Google Pixel XL will get 2 years of OS updates where the BlackBerry DTEK60 has not gotten any updates to the next OS level. Hindsight is 20/20.

I am not sure what my next smartphone is going to be because when the BlackBerry DTEK60 is going be EOL (October 2018?) it does not look like any flagship level BlackBerries are going to be on the horizon.
    07-13-18 03:22 PM
    Just because a phone is factory-unlocked, doesn't mean carriers still can't control updates.

With the Motion and KEY², there is a separate device variant made for each carrier, so updates can still be withheld until approved.
    Hum... Good to know. I will when have to look into that when it comes time to make my next smartphone buying decision.
    07-13-18 03:24 PM
    [QUOTE=LordPiggyOfHam;
    and Samsung with updates every quarter for factory unlocked flagship smartphones is definitely not the best. [/QUOTE]

Not quite correct. Among my devices I have a factory unlocked GS 8+. It receives monthly security updates, varying from 2 to 4 weeks behind the Pixels. Popping out the sim card and checking manually for updates gets it approximately 2-3 weeks. Never by quarter. And, I've been running Oreo for months, whereas the KEYone is just about to get that in beta.
    07-13-18 05:51 PM
    Not quite correct. Among my devices I have a factory unlocked GS 8+. It receives monthly security updates, varying from 2 to 4 weeks behind the Pixels. Popping out the sim card and checking manually for updates gets it approximately 2-3 weeks. Never by quarter. And, I've been running Oreo for months, whereas the KEYone is just about to get that in beta.
    Fair enough.

This article, which is dated June 6, 2018, is what I was thinking about when I made the comment about factory unlocked Samsung flagship smartphones getting quarterly updates.
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/Appa...terly_id105556

To be fair they say it is a USA issue. I am not sure if you have a USA model or not. I was at one point considering the Samsung Galaxy S9+, which I would buy directly from Costco Canada since they sell it factory unlocked. The thing is I am unsure if they would have the USA model or not. The order page would list the model number, so it would be easy enough to figure out in the end.

Conite's post about multiple device variants for the same model has given me pause in terms of my next smartphone, but that is still a few months off or whenever the BlackBerry DTEK60 becomes EOL. I still hope (dream) that the BlackBerry DTEK60 will get 3 years of security updates, but I am not holding my breath.

In the end all of this is making it more and more likely that I will buy a factory unlocked Google Pixel 3 (not sure if I would go XL or regular) directly from Google.

My ideal would be a BlackBerry Motion 2, in spite of it being a mid-range level smartphone and me wanting a flagship level smartphone, but there is no word on that yet. The BlackBerry "Ghost" looks interesting from the leaks so far, but it is unlikely that would be sold outside of India.
    07-14-18 01:00 PM