Coming from a Samsung I was quite happy when BBM came to android . Yes I had to put up with the adds. But I thought going back to a genuine BlackBerry I would not get adds any more. But I got an Add today. Is this normal now for BlackBerry users? Or is the system simply confused and thinks I'm using my Samsung? Or are we not considered genuine BlackBerry users?
    11-12-16 07:58 PM
    It's normal ads in BBM
    11-12-16 07:59 PM
    Coming from a Samsung I was quite happy when BBM came to android . Yes I had to put up with the adds. But I thought going back to a genuine BlackBerry I would not get adds any more. But I got an Add today. Is this normal now for BlackBerry users? Or is the system simply confused and thinks I'm using my Samsung? Or are we not considered genuine BlackBerry users?
    Unfortunately and frustratingly BlackBerry isn't differentiating the Android version on BlackBerry phones and others. They can and they should. Let's hope they do so in the future.
    A BlackBerry phone shouldn't have ads on BBM.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    smittyj77 likes this.
    11-12-16 08:08 PM
    Funny how not one of my contacts uses BBM anymore. I guess I don't have to worry about those ads.

Posted via CB10
    valer466 likes this.
    11-12-16 09:30 PM
    What's BBM anywho
    valer466 likes this.
    11-12-16 09:42 PM
    I agree with the original poster.

I've posted about this same thing before. I have a DTEK50, but the issue is the same; I think native BlackBerry users deserve an ad free BBM.

That said, I pay $1.12 ($0.99+tax) a month for no ads. So maybe BlackBerry has no incentive to reward us? I pay because the ads were annoying the heck out of me. If enough people are doing the same thing... it's a win win for BlackBerry.
    11-13-16 10:28 AM
    Funny how not one of my contacts uses BBM anymore. I guess I don't have to worry about those ads.

Posted via CB10
    Here here!
    11-13-16 12:45 PM
    I agree with the original poster.

I've posted about this same thing before. I have a DTEK50, but the issue is the same; I think native BlackBerry users deserve an ad free BBM.

That said, I pay $1.12 ($0.99+tax) a month for no ads. So maybe BlackBerry has no incentive to reward us? I pay because the ads were annoying the heck out of me. If enough people are doing the same thing... it's a win win for BlackBerry.
    No way in *hell* I'm paying $12 a year to use a messaging service that few people use anymore, that isn't secure, and that should be a built in component of the suite (Facetime is for Apple users) - esp when other services are free and widely adopted.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-13-16 02:15 PM
    No way in *hell* I'm paying $12 a year to use a messaging service that few people use anymore, that isn't secure, and that should be a built in component of the suite (Facetime is for Apple users) - esp when other services are free and widely adopted.
    I don't blame you. But in my case, I use BBM daily. Plus I'm a little obsessive. It really was annoying seeing those ads all the time.

Maybe a decline in BBM usage is the reason that the service isn't totally free even to native blackberry users?
    11-13-16 03:09 PM
    It actually annoying. Between ads and random people trying to add me. Just another reason why i started using whatsapp more
    Menage likes this.
    11-14-16 06:57 AM
    What about getting subtractions in BBM?
    11-14-16 11:44 AM
    That's already happened... too many times... Ah, the divided messaging world we live in!
    liquidneon likes this.
    11-14-16 12:07 PM
    That's already happened... too many times... Ah, the divided messaging world we live in!
    Actually my message was a play on the OP subject... adds instead of ads...
    11-14-16 12:16 PM
    yeah:

on my Passport:
    BBM ads - present
    Blackberry Hub - no ads

on my DTEK60:
    BBM ads present - more than on passport!
    Blackberry Hub - no ads

from what I've heard for non-BB phones
    BBM ads present
    Blackberry Hub has ads as well... come into your hub like messages between other messages/notifications. Seems very intrusive. I'd be annoyed.
    11-14-16 12:20 PM
    It actually annoying. Between ads and random people trying to add me. Just another reason why i started using whatsapp more
    a friend on a non-BB phone (coming from a BB) also said he gets A LOT of random people trying to add him to BBM... I'm on DTEK60 and don't get any.
    Last edited by liquidneon; 11-14-16 at 12:41 PM.
    11-14-16 12:22 PM
    Actually my message was a play on the OP subject... adds instead of ads...
    And I played on with your play of "subtractions" with "times" and "divided"...
    liquidneon likes this.
    11-14-16 12:28 PM

That said, I pay $1.12 ($0.99+tax) a month for no ads.
    They're such fools to think that a subscription based model will ever work. It's like they're addicted to these recurring fees because they made so much easy money with BIS.

For BBM to have any sort of hope for a future, they need to offer all features free of charge. That's the only way they're going to get new people on it.

Maybe they don't care and they just wanna suck whatever money they can out of loyal BlackBerry fans before they disappear.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 06:15 PM
    My GF and I accepted it haha
    11-14-16 06:57 PM
    They're such fools to think that a subscription based model will ever work. It's like they're addicted to these recurring fees because they made so much easy money with BIS.

For BBM to have any sort of hope for a future, they need to offer all features free of charge. That's the only way they're going to get new people on it.

Maybe they don't care and they just wanna suck whatever money they can out of loyal BlackBerry fans before they disappear.
    So the plan would be to grow the userbase by giving it away for free and then at some point start charging for it? Or would it continually lose money until the company goes bankrupt?

Skype - free with additional services that BlackBerry has for more money; also couldn't survive on its own and owned by Microsoft
    Whatsapp - free and owned by FaceBook for almost $19 billion. When will FaceBook want to make back that money? It seems like now, but regulatory problems with collecting data to make it profitable for FaceBook while keeping it "free" on the Whatsapp end.
    Line - Sell some services???
    WeChat - ???

How do they make profit?
    11-14-16 07:50 PM
    And it's just sad because I remember when BBM was used by virtually everyone, I remember people exchanging each others pins, they've come a long way...
    11-14-16 10:39 PM
    It can't be that bad for them. I subscribed. Sure, I was reluctant, but does that matter? In the end they get $1.00 from me every month. If 1,000 people do the same thing... BlackBerry is getting $1,000 plus whatever ad revenue they bring in from the BBM users who don't pay. It's not a bad move if they are making money. And they are.

I can't argue the merits of ads as a money making tool. Or ad removal fees. But I do miss the old, clean, basic BBM.
    11-14-16 10:43 PM
    And I played on with your play of "subtractions" with "times" and "divided"...
    Nice one. Touch
    11-15-16 10:32 AM
    Adds are better than subtracts, but not quite as good as multiplies though...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-15-16 01:37 PM
    Lol, dang, didn't see that someone beat me to it. It's funny when you see people typing "add" instead of "ad" yet they type "to" instead of "too" lol...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-15-16 01:39 PM