Just today watched my Netflix app drain my phone from noon to 7pm of 27% of its power. Deleted it for now, but the phone was also warm. What could account for this and what should I do? Would a recent update be responsible?
    02-14-18 11:22 PM
    Some apps are just power hogs and of course your device is going to get warm/hot, you're jamming video through it keeping the processor rolling the whole time. You can try all the logical things to reduce the usage but with that comes the issue of degrading your experience as well. eg: Reduce screen brightness, download files vs. streaming them.

Netflix did recently update, so maybe they changed some things that affect performance as well, hard to really say. Apps are one those things that are constantly evolving. One build can be fine, next build can be trash, next build can be fine. Wait and see if the next update fixes it. Long story short, there's not a whole you can do about it. Deal with it as it comes.
    02-15-18 12:29 AM
    Some apps are just power hogs and of course your device is going to get warm/hot, you're jamming video through it keeping the processor rolling the whole time. You can try all the logical things to reduce the usage but with that comes the issue of degrading your experience as well. eg: Reduce screen brightness, download files vs. streaming them.

Netflix did recently update, so maybe they changed some things that affect performance as well, hard to really say. Apps are one those things that are constantly evolving. One build can be fine, next build can be trash, next build can be fine. Wait and see if the next update fixes it. Long story short, there's not a whole you can do about it. Deal with it as it comes.
    Thanks for the response Blaize... the thing that was curious is that I wasn't using the Netflix app at all and so all that power drain was occurring without it even being opened. Hadn't been used for over a week probably. Thus my concern. Should have been more exact in my description...
    02-15-18 08:20 AM
    That's not at all surprising; many apps stay running on purpose (registering a service) even when you are not using them and attempt to collect and send back data to their source or others, including "advertisers." It is almost impossible to know what they're collecting or who they're giving it to, and the authorities in the US don't care despite the obvious problems this can (and does) cause.

Never mind the power consumption and extraordinarily destructive effect this has on battery life.

Google has flatly-refused to expose the Internet Access permission (which is present in Android) and allow you to control it, along with having a switch for "can only access <x> permission when in the foreground" -- a capability Android could trivially enforce. The reason for their refusal is that making this user-accessible and selectable as "foreground, on-screen only" would prevent transmission of said collected data except when you're actively using a given app, and that would impact not only app writers but also Google itself. It would also prevent background notifications but for many if not most apps that would be a trade-off that a huge percentage of people would be willing to make.
    02-15-18 10:14 AM
    Thanks for the response Blaize... the thing that was curious is that I wasn't using the Netflix app at all and so all that power drain was occurring without it even being opened. Hadn't been used for over a week probably. Thus my concern. Should have been more exact in my description...
    Another update today for Netflix, so maybe they fixed it. But yeah, what @tickerguy said as well is accurate. Apps not in use can still suck the life out of a device depending on how they're set up.
    02-15-18 01:27 PM
    Was losing 10% battery power an hour at rest. Deleted Netflix and increased batter over 50%. Thanks for the info!
    02-19-18 05:55 AM
    I noticed the same thing today with Netflix. The odd thing is I reboot my BlackBerry daily (as I have done with every PC and smartphone I have ever had) and I have not used Netflix at all today. I noticed it was the largest user of my battery at 4% (more than the screen ironically). I was going to reboot again, but since I did not use Netflix today that would have been pointless.

I ended up fixing the problem by opening the Netflix app and then closing it in the multitasking view (square on the row at the bottom of the screen). Since I opened and closed the Netflix app it has not used one second of CPU time and it has not used a mAh of battery. I have no idea why that worked, but it did.
    02-19-18 03:35 PM