Just an observation. I have a lumia 950 xl running windows mobile 10 and a BlackBerry dtek60 running Android 6.0.1.

Both phones are at least 4 cores.

When I download updates via Google play it download then install one app after the other.

When I download update from windows store it download 4 app at the same time and is able to install 4 updates at the same time.

Why android is not able to do that ?
    10-05-17 07:16 PM
    even BlackBerry 10 and the legacy devices used to download and install multiple at same time , just so you know it isn't only windows Maybe android is made to work that way , who knows ?
    10-05-17 11:04 PM
    Crickets
    10-07-17 02:48 AM
    Google has one version of "Play" which can and does run on all their Android handsets. It serves no real purpose to have it update in parallel, particularly given that some lower-end devices (especially on storage speed) would have severe trouble with doing so and it also makes no sense to have more than one version of the code. The architecture dates back to Froyo and handsets which had extremely poor-performing filesystems on them, especially for writes.

Updating software isn't exactly a thing that has to be done fast-n-furious to be effective. Most people would be wiser to not have it set to update automatically anyway (lest you get a bad version of an app by accident and screw yourself); I always have auto-update on Android devices turned off for this reason.
    10-07-17 07:13 AM
    One question is making anything parallel is this: if you do n things simultaneously will you actually be done faster than if you did the same n tasks sequentially. Sometimes there is efficiency to be had there, sometimes not. The install task is limited by disk throughput, which is still relatively slow on phones. iOS will download updates simultaneously, but then install them sequentially.
    10-07-17 10:19 AM