My battery life was quite bad and the phone was shutting off at around 25%.

I decided to replace the battery and ordered this one:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replacem...53.m2749.l2649

I was going to take it to a phone repair shop but ended up doing it myself.
    It didn't take me more than 5 minutes, quite a simple process. I watched a video or 2 on disassembling the phone.

Steps taken:
    1. Remove sim tray
    2. heat up back panel with hair dryer to soften adhesive
    3. insert thin strip of durable plastic between black plastic trim and glass panel and work your way around to break contact between panel and phone
    4. lever glass panel away from phone, careful as the fingerprint sensor cable is still attached (I left it attached the entire time)
    5. undo battery connection
    6. lever battery out from its tray, this required a little force as it has a tough adhesive underneath
    7. insert new battery
    8. connect new battery's connection
    9. make sure everything looks ok and nothing was damaged
    10. put glass panel back on
    11. insert sim card tray

So far everything seems ok and it seems like I still have quick charge.

Any questions?
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    05-01-18 10:49 PM
    Battery life is like new again, I don't get drain or dropping out at 25%.
    The battery lasted me all day yesterday with moderate use.
    Glad to have my dtek back! This phone should last me another year or 2 until BlackBerry release another full touch phone that can rival the dtek60.
    05-03-18 07:12 PM
    I ordered a new battery as well it should arrive tomorrow. I'm just looking for an idea as to how much heat did you apply? How long did you heat it up for? How far away did you hold the hair dryer? When you put it back together did you apply additional adhesive?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-18 07:20 PM
    pity the screen isnt so easy to replace.
    05-04-18 01:41 PM
    About 30 seconds with a hair-dryer. I could still touch it so it wasn't that hot. If you purchased the same battery as I did, I cut a strip off the plastic box and used it to cut the glue between the glass and the phone. I put it back together using the old glue.
    05-05-18 02:03 AM
    The screen is a PITA and the commonly-available ones are for the Idol which have a different resolution and will NOT work properly. They will fit, plug in and come on -- but they're the wrong resolution!
    05-05-18 06:32 AM
    Definitely worth replacing the battery for $30. my dtek60 is like new again
    05-05-18 08:22 AM
    Sure was worth it. After a 15hr day, there's still 40%. I replaced my screen protector for a few dollars, feels like I have a brand new phone. the software is quite reliable too now with no bugs.
    05-07-18 08:15 AM

Steps taken:
    1. Remove sim tray
    2. heat up back panel with hair dryer to soften adhesive

You had me at step 1, then lost me with the hair dryer! Any cell phone repair that requires more than a screwdriver and involves using my wife's beauty supplies and I'm out!

That being said, that's awesome that you were able to breath new life into your DTEK60! I still have mine kicking around and the battery's not too bad on it. The deal breaker for me is that it won't ever get Nougat.
    05-07-18 08:33 AM
    I just replaced my battery. I had hair dryer on low heat and it was not enough so I put it on high heat and kept heating up going all around the perimeter it took about 5 minutes. I did not have any type of suctioning to attach to the back cover to pull it off so I cut up a bunch of pieces of thin plastic ( lid from a food container) then used them as wedges to slowly pry the back off. Slide the plastic strips under the cover a ND slide, cut through the glue which is kind of like a black tar type material. Without having pressure constantly pulling away on the back cover the glue slightly sticks to plastic wedges but a bit more heat will unglued again. keep wedging and prying. don't worry toouch about overheating. The back never got hot enough that it could not be touched and burn your fingers so must likely under 65 degrees C so no harm to electronics. When you plug in your new battery make sure the tiny connector is seated properly. the first time I thought it was OK, then as I was positioning the cover it popped out. I put the connector back in place and this time felt and heard a slight click.
    When I put the back cover back into position I heated up the perimeter again in order to soften up the glue , and then got some scrap pieces of wood some clamps and sandwiched the phone in between and put a bit of clamping pressure and left it that way for ten minutes as the phone cooled. Also, when prying up the old battery work your way around it and slowly pry it up. That glue is pretty tough as well.
    05-07-18 10:13 AM
    You had me at step 1, then lost me with the hair dryer! Any cell phone repair that requires more than a screwdriver and involves using my wife's beauty supplies and I'm out!

That being said, that's awesome that you were able to breath new life into your DTEK60! I still have mine kicking around and the battery's not too bad on it. The deal breaker for me is that it won't ever get Nougat.
    If a hair dryer is too feminine for you, use the correct tool... a heat gun
    moonflyer likes this.
    05-07-18 10:41 AM
    I used a hair dryer because I did not want to use my heat gun with it's higher temperature
    moonflyer likes this.
    05-08-18 10:32 AM
    It took me forever with my heat gun. I'm surprised the hair dryer worked. So nice to have good battery life again. I was at my wits end with this phone, but it's fantastic again
    05-08-18 01:38 PM
    For those who replaced their batteries. Will the quick charge not degrade the battery once again? Is it possible to charge the phone without the quick charge? if so, how??
    05-11-18 08:58 PM
    can't you just use a standard (non-qc) charger??
    05-11-18 09:54 PM
    Quick charge is very convenient for me and the battery is cheap and easy to replace, so if it is what's causing the problem then I'll replace the battery when it dies again. The problem could possibly be the batch of batteries and not quick charge.
    05-13-18 04:33 AM
    But to be fair, rechargeable batteries have a life span too. And we've been recharging these things for a couple of years
    05-13-18 11:49 AM
    I had the same problem with my DTEK60, a poor battery. Since I had still warrenty I returned the phone. Instead of reparing, i got offered a new Phone. Sadly they don't sell blackberry's anymore. So i went to Nokia 8. Pretty much stock Android and regular updates (now on may). With the blackberry software it's pretty much the same experience as the DTEK60. Except... it's on Oreo . Whish they sold the KeyOne though.
    05-16-18 10:54 AM