Different phones and different seller. I’ve received consistent updates and even OS update to Oreo from BBMo/TCL with KEYone. I received no OS update for either DTEK although in fairness the DTEK were purchased from different OEM, BB Ltd. Shortly thereafter, BB Ltd exited the hardware business.
    Yet security updates are software ones, and STILL the responsibility of BB, and they have stopped short of the 2 year promise!!
    09-20-18 03:47 PM
    Ohh they have, because you should have had updates from them, because Dtek60 is not 2 years old until October....so they have 'done you out of ' July, August and September updates....
    Broken promises AGAIN, yet, STILL people 'trust' them.......
    If not a big deal to someone, it’s not a big deal. What phone did you replace your DTEK with?
    09-20-18 03:54 PM
    If not a big deal to someone, it’s not a big deal. What phone did you replace your DTEK with?
    Nothing as yet, the outlay is too great for me, £250+ every couple of years, as retired.
    Also, come form a generation that doesn't 'throw it away' just because there is a 'newer model on sale'
    next phone will definately NOT have the BB franchise logo on it though..
    Something from a more 'reliable, and honest' provider, rather than a 'franchise' company with no morals, that treats its customers with disdain
    Moto, possibly as they seem to 'value' their customers, and have a decent attitude to treating them, or perhaps a Nokia (had their phones before I got my first BB, the 8700 , and have had BB's ever since, but no more) as appears their Customer service is good.
    Assume you are happy with BB short changing you, telling you 2 years support, then 'legacying' the phone after 8 months, then cheating you of 3/4 months updates as well.
    That's your choice, but me, I am not so BB 'hard wired' to allow them do do that, just for the benefit a cheap PKB, but then, each to his own...Your money, your choice.. I've made mine, and will vote with my wallet (when I can afford it!!)
    09-20-18 04:38 PM
    Yet security updates are software ones, and STILL the responsibility of BB, and they have stopped short of the 2 year promise!!
    At least you recognise who the "guilty" party is.

I'm not aware of ANY Marshmallow device anywhere still getting security patches. This may be the issue - nothing coming from Google. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    09-20-18 05:16 PM
    Nothing as yet, the outlay is too great for me, £250+ every couple of years, as retired.
    Also, come form a generation that doesn't 'throw it away' just because there is a 'newer model on sale'
    next phone will definately NOT have the BB franchise logo on it though..
    Something from a more 'reliable, and honest' provider, rather than a 'franchise' company with no morals, that treats its customers with disdain
    Moto, possibly as they seem to 'value' their customers, and have a decent attitude to treating them, or perhaps a Nokia (had their phones before I got my first BB, the 8700 , and have had BB's ever since, but no more) as appears their Customer service is good.
    Assume you are happy with BB short changing you, telling you 2 years support, then 'legacying' the phone after 8 months, then cheating you of 3/4 months updates as well.
    That's your choice, but me, I am not so BB 'hard wired' to allow them do do that, just for the benefit a cheap PKB, but then, each to his own...Your money, your choice.. I've made mine, and will vote with my wallet (when I can afford it!!)
    Happy? No. Upset? Not really... First BB that I had to pay for instead of company was 7200 series on AT&T. I’ve averaged one AT&T BB phone device per year for 15 years. I also own six factory unlocked BB devices (not available with AT&T) since I use two lines myself.

I also use iPhones and other Androids that my kids give up as they grow up since I pay the bill for our multiple lines. Biggest problem with updates are the carriers and that will never change. Also, enhanced features are blocked with factory unlocked. I enjoy BB and BBMo/TCL devices, however, I’m relying on Apple devices more than I’d like because of carrier sales and carrier support. AT&T offered me 8Plus or X for BOGO free. That’s like $450-$500 per device, $20/month interest free. WiFi calling available which AT&T won’t give me on AT&T KEYone. That’s not the fault of BBMo/TCL. Point is devices are so cheap that it doesn’t make sense to fret over the small things like updates for me. This is the first time I got OS update as fast as factory unlocked or faster on KEYone. I’ve turned on my DTEKs long enough to update and throw back in my bag as backups. I’m rough on devices and DTEKs weren’t anything like KEYone.
    09-20-18 07:50 PM
    I'm not aware of ANY Marshmallow device anywhere still getting security patches. This may be the issue - nothing coming from Google. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    So they should have upgraded it to Nougat

Funny how you always interpret things in a way that it's never Blackberry's/BB Mobile's fault.
    Fred Wu and Bbfan1614 like this.
    09-22-18 06:02 AM
    Definitely. Dtek60 to me is the pound for pound best BlackBerry Android in my book.
    My Dtek60 was very good but I went to the Motion and that is excellent. The battery lasts forever.
    09-22-18 07:50 AM

Funny how you always interpret things in a way that it's never Blackberry's/BB Mobile's fault.
    Why should they? DTEKs were a failure that were sold by a company that exited hardware shortly thereafter? Leaving hardware and consumers behind, what’s the incentive for BB Ltd to waste the money. They met their legal obligations.
    09-22-18 08:12 AM

Yeah, strange isn't it how no matter what, there are a few on here that will NEVER admit that something 'might' just be BB/BBMo/TCL's fault rather than the 'users'.
    Thee are a few that will categorically deny ANYTHING that might be due to their 'beloved BB' being at fault for it....
    Far more 'rose tinted' to twist and turn, wriggle and squirm, than admit it....
    They ALWAYS have some means of having the last word, trying to exonerate BB/BBMo/TCL from anything wrong. Time and time again....
    Mind you, apparently this site is 'sponsored' by BB, so what more can you expect really....
    09-22-18 11:47 AM
    Why should they? DTEKs were a failure that were sold by a company that exited hardware shortly thereafter? Leaving hardware and consumers behind, what’s the incentive for BB Ltd to waste the money. They met their legal obligations.
    I have a hunch Ltd had as much to do with the DTEKs as they do with the KEYone and onward, i.e. very little, just that the deal wasn't as formalized as it was with the next set of devices. Looking at the Idol 4/4S that the DTEKs are on the inside, they aren't on Nougat either, for what it's worth.
    09-22-18 11:54 AM
    I agree wholeheartedly but since they were sold to BB and I bought from BB, my claim for responsibility lies with BB. Obviously, BB knew they were leaving the hardware business and this was some attempt to finalize licensing deal somehow.
    I have a hunch Ltd had as much to do with the DTEKs as they do with the KEYone and onward, i.e. very little, just that the deal wasn't as formalized as it was with the next set of devices. Looking at the Idol 4/4S that the DTEKs are on the inside, they aren't on Nougat either, for what it's worth.
    09-22-18 12:24 PM

Far from it. I've always stated that the DTEK devices are the responsibility of BlackBerry, and BlackBerry alone.

But since they are out of the hardware business now, people are wasting their breath complaining about it. They did the minimum required to honour their legal obligations.

BlackBerry Mobile, on the other hand, is an unrelated company that is responsible for the KEYx and Motion devices.
    09-22-18 12:45 PM
    Far from it. I've always stated that the DTEK devices are the responsibility of BlackBerry, and BlackBerry alone.
    You're so wrong and you know it. Pathetic.

https://utbblogs.com/dtek50-dtek60-tcl-licensing/
    09-22-18 01:02 PM
    You're so wrong and you know it. Pathetic.

https://utbblogs.com/dtek50-dtek60-tcl-licensing/
    That is not entirely accurate.

BlackBerry hired TCL to provide whatever support that BlackBerry decided to pay them for.

Whether the legal framework for this was formalized within the existing licencing agreement or not, is irrelevant.
    09-22-18 01:06 PM
    From what I can tell based on the Android Security Bulletins from https://source.android.com/security/bulletin the last possible security update for a device running Android 6.0.1 is the 2018-08-05 security patch level. That means that in terms of the DTEK60, and DTEK50, both are effectively EOL in terms of monthly android security patches as of the 2018-08-05 security patch level.

If you look at the the 2018-08-05 (and before) monthly security bulletins you can see in the "Updated AOSP versions" list 6.0.1 being listed for August 2018, but there is nothing for September 2018. One month is not definitive because it is possible, but unlikely, that there was nothing in 6.0.1 that needed to be patched for September. When the October 2018 Android security patch comes out we will have a clearer picture if there is nothing listed for 6.0.1.

When there was talk last year about when Android 6.0.1 would stop getting monthly security updates I looked to see when previous versions stopped getting monthly security patches. The last security bulletin mentioning Android 5.1.1 was from March 2018. In terms of Android 4.4.4 the last security bulletin mentioning Android 4.4.4 was from October 2017.

It would be nice to have a definitive statement, either way, in terms of what is going on with the DTEK60 and DTEK50 but at this point silence and opacity is what I have come to expect from Android smartphone makers. Considering the norm for 3rd party (non-Google) Android smartphones is around 1 to 2 years of updates and security patches for devices released in 2016 this is what it is.

I personally have greatly enjoyed my BlackBerry DTEK60 and I am not looking forward to replacing it when it "officially" is no longer going to receive monthly security patches. As for my next smartphone... the first thing I am going to look at, and the deciding factor, is going to be if the smartphone maker has clearly stated what their policy is on how long they will push out monthly security patches (I do not care about Android version updates). That basically means whatever smartphone I look at is going to be compared to Google and Nokia. There is also the iPhone, but I never really was a fan of the iPhone in spite of the fact that my iPhone 5s (released September 2013) has just been updated to iOS 12 5 days ago.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    09-22-18 01:18 PM
    From what I can tell based on the Android Security Bulletins from https://source.android.com/security/bulletin the last possible security update for a device running Android 6.0.1 is the 2018-08-05 security patch level. That means that in terms of the DTEK60, and DTEK50, both are effectively EOL in terms of monthly android security patches as of the 2018-08-05 security patch level.

If you look at the the 2018-08-05 (and before) monthly security bulletins you can see in the "Updated AOSP versions" list 6.0.1 being listed for August 2018, but there is nothing for September 2018.
    This is all I was trying to suggest above.
    09-22-18 01:24 PM
    This is all I was trying to suggest above.
    Ah! I was bored so I felt like getting my nerd on.

Also, for everyone else, BlackBerry (Limited or Mobile) cannot push out a security update if Google never makes it in the first place. The fact that based on the August 2018 stats from Mobile & Tablet Android Version Market Share Worldwide | StatCounter Global Stats that Android 6.0 at 22.43% share is the most common version of Android is another issue. In second place is Android 7.0 with 21.26% share, in third is Android 5.1 with 14.54% share, and in fourth place is Android 8.0 with 12.67% share.
    09-22-18 01:31 PM
    Ah! I was bored so I felt like getting my nerd on.

Also, for everyone else, BlackBerry (Limited or Mobile) cannot push out a security update if Google never makes it in the first place. The fact that based on the August 2018 stats from Mobile & Tablet Android Version Market Share Worldwide | StatCounter Global Stats that Android 6.0 at 22.43% share is the most common version of Android is another issue. In second place is Android 7.0 with 21.26% share, in third is Android 5.1 with 14.54% share, and in fourth place is Android 8.0 with 12.67% share.
    Hahaha, if only the DTEK60 would get an upgrade those figures would most certainly be completely different
    09-23-18 12:43 AM
    That is not entirely accurate.

BlackBerry hired TCL to provide whatever support that BlackBerry decided to pay them for.

Whether the legal framework for this was formalized within the existing licencing agreement or not, is irrelevant.
    Source? a) you know the contracts between the companies b) just your fantasy

Still BB's (/Mobile'S) fault not to have upgraded them to Nougat because that would have enabled them to stick to the promised 2 year security update cycle.
    09-23-18 01:48 AM
69 123