Last edited by Fordberry; 12-22-18 at 01:46 PM.
    01-23-18 04:40 PM
    Now that we know what we're doing, it only takes 2 extra minutes.

AAT497, Jan 5 patch level.
    Last edited by conite; 01-23-18 at 05:05 PM.
    Mig Iver likes this.
    01-23-18 04:46 PM
    What is the workaround?
    01-23-18 04:53 PM
    What is the workaround?
    Same as always.

Uninstall Google Play Services updates, perform OS update, then update Google Play Services.
    01-23-18 04:55 PM
    Thanks. I've never had the issue yet but wanted to be prepared
    01-23-18 05:01 PM
    I got the Jan 5th update same issue verification faild... but this time was simple delete Google play services and the update installed perfectly.. 👍
    01-23-18 05:47 PM
    I guess these hacked patches are better than no patches. You can tell how much the OS is botched that they can't patch it properly anymore. No wonder it chews up the battery...
    01-23-18 06:47 PM
    Maybe they will change mind and give 7.0 to Dtek 60 instead of keep trying to patch
    01-23-18 07:47 PM
    Maybe they will change mind and give 7.0 to Dtek 60 instead of keep trying to patch
    You wish....
    Carjackd and moonflyer like this.
    01-23-18 07:52 PM
    Update done, and done... sorta feels like we are limping along on a spare tire.... Interesting that when the patch was being installed it said, "Android upgrading" . Almost thought we were getting new OS...
    01-23-18 08:23 PM
    So you are saying you got the Dec update without uninstalling Google Play Services updates and all this runaround?
    How can that happen?
    01-23-18 08:26 PM
    So you are saying you got the Dec update without uninstalling Google Play Services updates and all this runaround?
    How can that happen?
    Not possible.
    01-23-18 09:37 PM
    So I guess we can look forward to monthly screwed up patches now. This time deleting google play to force their amateur BS to work erased half my home screen folders.
    TCL should have just dumped all of the blackberry brand instead of just half.
    Failed as a device company, fail as a software one too.
    01-24-18 02:17 AM
    Now that we know what we're doing, it only takes 2 extra minutes.

AAT497, Jan 5 patch level.
    But, WHY should we have to resort to these stupic tactics to get the updates??
    Are BB/TCL/BBMo so THICK or STUPID that they are unable to even get this right, considering it started happening last month??
    Or is it the attitude that 'we don't really care, and in fact, wish you would stop using this phone and spend money on our newest offering, so we are going to make you jump through hoops, and make it as difficult as possible when (if) you actually get the update anyway!!'
    gemma, Joemcbb and Mecca EL like this.
    01-24-18 03:37 AM
    So I guess we can look forward to monthly screwed up patches now. This time deleting google play to force their amateur BS to work erased half my home screen folders.
    TCL should have just dumped all of the blackberry brand
    Basically, that's what they want us to do, 'dump the old, and buy their 'latest ' offering...
    Screwing up the updates (possibly deliberately??, because they knew of this fiasco last month, but haven't bothered to sort it out!!)
    Really, they must think we are STUPID....
    01-24-18 03:41 AM
    Same as December 2017 one. Didn't even receive January 2018 update note via system check.
    01-24-18 05:02 AM
    I wasn't able to update my wife's D50 using the steps provided by BlackBerry. I ended up doing a device wipe which fixed it. I sure hope I dont have to do a device wipe for each monthly update going forward.
    01-24-18 05:04 AM
    But, WHY should we have to resort to these stupic tactics to get the updates??
    It is what it is.

You spent more time typing your post than it takes to revert Google Play Services as per the instructions.

I would suspect that the update mechanism they use is based on older software, but they aren't going to re-engineer the process since M updates will be ending soon anyway.
    01-24-18 07:30 AM
    It is what it is.

You spent more time typing your post than it takes to revert Google Play Services as per the instructions.

I would suspect that the update mechanism they use is based on older software, but they aren't going to re-engineer the process since M updates will be ending soon anyway.
    I don't understand this sentiment at all. In what other tech segment would you be ok with shoehorning software updates on a 1 year old product?

And how does NONE of this end up on the front page of this website? I realize that pushing VPN deals pay the bills, but this place is losing its identity and no one seems to care. Just more mediocrity.
    HughJarsse, Joemcbb and elfabio80 like this.
    01-24-18 09:25 AM
    I don't understand this sentiment at all. In what other tech segment would you be ok with shoehorning software updates on a 1 year old product?

And how does NONE of this end up on the front page of this website? I realize that pushing VPN deals pay the bills, but this place is losing its identity and no one seems to care. Just more mediocrity.
    Shake your fist if it makes you feel better I suppose.

But the DTEKs were the last BlackBerry devices, and they are no longer in the handset business.

I'm just happy updates are still coming at all.
    01-24-18 09:33 AM
    Shake your fist if it makes you feel better I suppose.

But the DTEKs were the last BlackBerry devices, and they are no longer in the handset business.

I'm just happy updates are still coming at all.
    What does it matter who's name was on the bill of sale to have the devices contractually made? We are talking software here. Is Blackberry proper not in the software business?
    We are also talking about being sold the tag line "Best in class monthly Android security updates". Is that how you would classify this update experience? Never mind the release schedule roadmap, they don't even install correctly. 27000+ posts on here and you're just going to flaunt a defeatist attitude and bend over. "It is what it is". I wish i had a plethora of customers like you with such an excepting heart for commercial mediocrity. I would be rich.
    01-24-18 10:15 AM
    What does it matter who's name was on the bill of sale to have the devices contractually made? We are talking software here. Is Blackberry proper not in the software business?
    We are also talking about being sold the tag line "Best in class monthly Android security updates". Is that how you would classify this update experience? Never mind the release schedule roadmap, they don't even install correctly. 27000+ posts on here and you're just going to flaunt a defeatist attitude and bend over. "It is what it is". I wish i had a plethora of customers like you with such an excepting heart for commercial mediocrity. I would be rich.
    Again, you can soapbox until you're blue in the face and it won't change a thing.

BlackBerry is not in the consumer market anymore. They don't need your goodwill. They have nothing further to sell you.
    01-24-18 10:24 AM
    Explain why BB should care that any of us DTEK owners care? We've just moved past wasting time on something we can't affect because from business perspective, BB effectively went under and is no longer in business.
    01-24-18 10:36 AM
    Again, you can soapbox until you're blue in the face and it won't change a thing.

BlackBerry is not in the consumer market anymore. They don't need your goodwill. They have nothing further to sell you.
    Last i checked they were openly traded. They should care.
    01-24-18 10:37 AM
    It is what it is.

Yes, it looks more like a Commercial issue than a technical one. The uninstall updates on GPS takes it back to Factory Version. In short, Google needs money to give real-time latest updates without the workaround , which BB refuses to pay since it does not manufacture or sell Mobile phones anymore and TCL won't pay either because they received only one time profit from selling these devices earlier. So be happy with whatever we are getting still in whichever way and take the trouble of using the workaround to keep our device updated and secure.
    01-24-18 10:39 AM
82 123 ...