I did not know it had an AMOLED screen, should help with battery life I hope.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 04:30 PM
    DTEK60 uses the AMOLED QHD screen from the Idol 4S. Otherwise it's the same as the TCL950.
    Also i think it has 32gb internal as opposed to the TCL950 which has 64gb internal.

Basically the TCL950 is a direct oneplus3 competitor and BlackBerry took the reference design upped the display to qhd to be a more top end flagship device. Plus all the encryption security...etc.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-09-16 04:46 PM
    The description also talks about an IPS screen, as compared to the amoled screen we were lead to believe it has.....
    I actually hope it's an IPS screen. AMOLED screens are pretty susceptible to burn-in, which sucks sucks to live with if you want to keep the device long-term.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 12:37 AM
    I prefer IPS (by far) as it has a FAR better color profile. Amoled flat-out sucks when it comes to color fidelity; a lot of people LIKE it because it tends to "pop" but color fidelity is not one of its strong points.
    10-10-16 07:03 AM
    Side by side I like my Z30 Blacks way better than the DTEK 50

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 10:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's because AMOLED produces deep blacks, IPS doesn't. So images on screen will look better on AMOLED and will save on battery as well.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 11:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    So amoled does one color better out of the millions of colors available...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    10-10-16 11:22 AM

Black isn't a color.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-10-16 03:18 PM

Uh no, how come samsung amoled screens have been rated as the best display on display mate? AMOLED being inaccurate is a myth , same applies for LCDs or any displays uncalibrated. It's up to the software to be calibrated which samsung did a great job of by allowing users to select the color mode they prefer.

Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out
    10-10-16 04:05 PM
    Uh no, how come samsung amoled screens have been rated as the best display on display mate? AMOLED being inaccurate is a myth , same applies for LCDs or any displays uncalibrated. It's up to the software to be calibrated which samsung did a great job of by allowing users to select the color mode they prefer.

The disadvantage with AMOLED is that under direct sunlight, its hard to see the screen, everything seems washed out and its really hard to see the screen. This is its downfall. Indoors it's gives intense deep blacks and deep contrast with vibrant colors. Very pleasant to the eye. But I have read that Samsung is trying to overcome this direct sunlight problem. We will see what they bring out in the future.

Advantage of LCD is that in direct sunlight you can see better and the screen isn't washed out like AMOLED. The only thing is that it's blacks tend to look like a dark grey instead of black.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 09:02 PM
    anyone know if we can expect this phone to drop tomorrow?
    10-10-16 09:16 PM
    Yes 60 drops tomorrow

 PASSPORT 
    10-10-16 09:38 PM
    The disadvantage with AMOLED is that under direct sunlight, its hard to see the screen, everything seems washed out and its really hard to see the screen. This is its downfall. Indoors it's gives intense deep blacks and deep contrast with vibrant colors. Very pleasant to the eye. But I have read that Samsung is trying to overcome this direct sunlight problem. We will see what they bring out in the future.

Advantage of LCD is that in direct sunlight you can see better and the screen isn't washed out like AMOLED. The only thing is that it's blacks tend to look like a dark grey instead of black.

Posted via CB10
    Again, not completely true. Samsung displays have achieved higher contrast ratios in sunlight (You can check the reviews on gsmarena) that competing LCD devices when their brightness is set to auto so its display can go exceedingly bright in sunlight. Note7 can exceed 1000nits, can any other phone with a LCD do that? Not that I know of. I can't say that all AMOLED displays are eligible outdoors but the latest samsung devices are capable.
    Last edited by StutterStep; 10-10-16 at 10:17 PM.
    10-10-16 09:48 PM
    Yes 60 drops tomorrow

 PASSPORT 
    For sure 100% ??? October 11th?

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-10-16 10:20 PM
    Of course, no marketing or anything.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 10:21 PM
    Again, not completely true. Samsung displays have achieved higher contrast ratios in sunlight (You can check the reviews on gsmarena) that competing LCD devices when their brightness is set to auto so its display can go exceedingly bright in sunlight. Note7 can exceed 1000nits, can any other phone with a LCD do that? Not that I know of. I can't say that all AMOLED displays are eligible outdoors but the latest samsung devices are capable.
    Why are you talking about the note7? And why the need to crank so much juice into the display for visibility in sunlight?

Compare to the passport screen. I can put it into battery saving mode and put brightness to low setting and STILL read everything perfectly onscreen. Beat that, samsung. Without overheating your phones too.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-10-16 10:25 PM

I think you're confused as to the meaning of the word myth. It's inevitable that with advancing technology that eventually they can make OLED displays as accurate as LCD's or better. This was not the case before. Notice your article is only talking about the latest generation of Samsung displays. This likely wasn't the case with pretty much all OLED displays that came before, so no, it's not a "myth" because it was true. I'm glad they've caught up, but if asked which one I'd prefer, I'll still say LCD because it's unlikely if they went with OLED that it'll be at the same level as Samsung's latest phones... Samsung develops and manufactures their own displays, there's a good chance if this other company is putting OLED screens on their phones that it would be made by Samsung, and I doubt they are selling their latest tech to 3rd parties...

10-10-16 10:35 PM
    Why are you talking about the note7? And why the need to crank so much juice into the display for visibility in sunlight?

Compare to the passport screen. I can put it into battery saving mode and put brightness to low setting and STILL read everything perfectly onscreen. Beat that, samsung. Without overheating your phones too.

The screen on the passport is IPS LCD. That's why you have good visibility outdoors even in direct sunlight. That's the advantage of that screen, but it suffers from deep blacks that AMOLED can give, but that's not really a big deal if you're not finicky about that.

I have a Z30 and indoors it rocks deep blacks and vibrant colors, but outdoors it gets really difficult to see anything on that screen. It's actually quite annoying. But from a few people stated here Samsung has tried to overcome this problem by cranking up the brightness, but takes a huge toll on your battery. We will have to see how the DTEK60 Fairs outdoors in sunlight.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 11:58 PM
    Yes vagos, that's why I love the passport screen. A productive phone NEEDS to be visible in direct sunlight. The ips lcd screen achieves that without draining the battery. I don't play games on my passport so I couldn't care less about amoled or deep blacks.

10-11-16 02:24 AM
44 12