Hi all

Well took the plunge, ordered the DTEK60 and now had just over a week now. Out of the box and very pleased with the overall aesthetics of the shape, quality of this phone, light and sits in the pocket or jacket far more comfortable than Passport.

Popped the sim straight in and started to go through the setting up process, simple and painless. Added my Outlook account and all my contacts were transferred over seamlessly. Made a few minor tweaks to settings, so far so good. Popped my 64gb memory card in, all good albeit I prefer the layout as was on the Passport. I couldn't get my head around the calendar layout and was screaming inside for my Passport format.

Now onto the apps and probably the only thing that initially made me cross over from the light side as there were a few apps that were work orientated and I couldn't have access to on BB10. Set the Google account up and away I went, not only could I now download apps that I had been yearning for but the choice available - wow. Will now make things a whole lot easier and I guess more fun to be had if wanted inside the Play store.

So things I like/dislike:
    Love the quality of the phone - sits in my hand perfect with no issues (at present) from the back being over slippy in grip
    Speakers producing and performing great
    Convenience key great - set to Google now
    Loving the slickness and handyness of Google now and guess it will only get better over time
    Love the fingerprint scanner, quick, convenient and slick so far
    Not really into camera side of things but seems to take pretty decent pictures

Miss my PKB like crazy but have gotten used to the virtual one already and to be honest it reminded me how great and how much I loved/miss the Z30, along with the Passport they are both masterclass pieces of engineering
    Initially was swiping here, there and everywhere but after a few frustrating hours I had gotten my head round it
    DTEK security - not sure on this one, but guess I've done ok to date as its still reading excellent so whether that means I'm being super careful with permissions etc, not sure - or can this be misleading?
    The Hub/peek etc on BB10 is superb but guess I can live with the next best thing (wouldn't touch iOS or anything else with a barge pole). The layout and quality of say the contacts, calendar etc isn't as good or nice as the Passport (my opinion only) but overall loving this phone. I had a bit of lag whilst scrolling the other day but quick restart sorted that and the phone hasn't got hot once since up and running, not even really warm.

So happy for now with the transition, hopefully things will improve. I know I've made the right decision to stick with Blackberry and jump over to the other side but I do MISS my pkb - so dilemma

Do I keep the DTEK60 (have 30 days to decide) or do I torture myself and holdout for the long awaited Android Blackberry PKB
    11-15-16 04:08 AM
    Thanks for the review. The marriage of BB and the newer versions of Android is just great, and I totally understand your craving for the pkb. I've benn using the virtual ones for years already and I still can not really get used to them.
    tommytheb likes this.
    11-15-16 05:30 AM
    Hi all

Well took the plunge, ordered the DTEK60 and now had just over a week now. Out of the box and very pleased with the overall aesthetics of the shape, quality of this phone, light and sits in the pocket or jacket far more comfortable than Passport.

Popped the sim straight in and started to go through the setting up process, simple and painless. Added my Outlook account and all my contacts were transferred over seamlessly. Made a few minor tweaks to settings, so far so good. Popped my 64gb memory card in, all good albeit I prefer the layout as was on the Passport. I couldn't get my head around the calendar layout and was screaming inside for my Passport format.

Now onto the apps and probably the only thing that initially made me cross over from the light side as there were a few apps that were work orientated and I couldn't have access to on BB10. Set the Google account up and away I went, not only could I now download apps that I had been yearning for but the choice available - wow. Will now make things a whole lot easier and I guess more fun to be had if wanted inside the Play store.

So things I like/dislike:
    Love the quality of the phone - sits in my hand perfect with no issues (at present) from the back being over slippy in grip
    Speakers producing and performing great
    Convenience key great - set to Google now
    Loving the slickness and handyness of Google now and guess it will only get better over time
    Love the fingerprint scanner, quick, convenient and slick so far
    Not really into camera side of things but seems to take pretty decent pictures

Miss my PKB like crazy but have gotten used to the virtual one already and to be honest it reminded me how great and how much I loved/miss the Z30, along with the Passport they are both masterclass pieces of engineering
    Initially was swiping here, there and everywhere but after a few frustrating hours I had gotten my head round it
    DTEK security - not sure on this one, but guess I've done ok to date as its still reading excellent so whether that means I'm being super careful with permissions etc, not sure - or can this be misleading?
    The Hub/peek etc on BB10 is superb but guess I can live with the next best thing (wouldn't touch iOS or anything else with a barge pole). The layout and quality of say the contacts, calendar etc isn't as good or nice as the Passport (my opinion only) but overall loving this phone. I had a bit of lag whilst scrolling the other day but quick restart sorted that and the phone hasn't got hot once since up and running, not even really warm.

So happy for now with the transition, hopefully things will improve. I know I've made the right decision to stick with Blackberry and jump over to the other side but I do MISS my pkb - so dilemma

Do I keep the DTEK60 (have 30 days to decide) or do I torture myself and holdout for the long awaited Android Blackberry PKB
    It's only fair you give the phone atleast 2weeks of use. In case you still see yourself missing the keyboard in the future, you can always buy the upcoming PKB phone.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    tommytheb and Pcmx like this.
    11-15-16 06:12 AM
    It's only fair you give the phone atleast 2weeks of use. In case you still see yourself missing the keyboard in the future, you can always buy the upcoming PKB phone.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Yea my back was up initially with the DTEK60 but after a couple weeks, I can see that it's out doing any of my prior devices and expectations for what matters to me.
    11-15-16 10:29 AM
    Yea my back was up initially with the DTEK60 but after a couple weeks, I can see that it's out doing any of my prior devices and expectations for what matters to me.
    OK, have spent three days with my New DTEK60 I purchased from Crackberry Canada. * It came with free leather flip case, free large battery, and free rapid charger. *I also bought the BlackBerry soft case at 10% off.

My feelings so far:

The first word that comes to mind with the new DTEK60 is that it is very "slick:" It feels solid, high-end, lighter than my PRIV, and solid. *It is made of glass front and back, with a metal frame. *It has four speakers, two in front and two in back.*

I protect it with the BlackBerry soft shell case as protection is a must, however strangely the case covers the two rear speakers.

The DTEK60 display is bright and navigation is quick and easy given the better processor.*

Although the DTEK60 screen is only slightly larger (5.5") than the PRIV (5.4"), it seems bigger and brighter given the better quality display. *

The display is very sensitive and responsive to touch. *Videos play smoothly and images are crisp, clear, and vibrant. *Great for games, news, and TV.

The four speakers are very good, but are not as loud as the Z30 which I loved.*

The BlackBerry Hub works well with the Android Dtek60 as it did with the PRIV. *

Apps respond well, and accessing the Web is quick. *Scrolling is faster on the DTEK60 than with my PRIV.

Charging the DTEK60 with either the stock charger or the rapid recharger is fast. *Lack of a proper dock or support is a bit annoying, however. *I liked using my BlackBerry charging pod / dock with my PRIV and my Passport SE.

There is a smallish red LED message light as is the case on all BlackBerry devices, but it cannot produce the variety of colours as on the PRIV for each different message account.

Alarms and message notifications are somewhat quieter than on traditional BlackBerry devices, but updates will likely allow for the user to adjust the sound.

So far, the 21MP camera on the DTEK60 is very good-to-excellent both indoors and outdoors. *Images are bright, clear, and detail is crisp. *I haven't yet noticed any halos, bleeding, or noise. *

Note that I haven't had enough time to compare with my PRIV 18MP camera, however, nor have I tried the front camera. *The rear 18MP camera on the PRIV was excellent.

The fingerprint sensor is a really nice feature; *you can instantly unlock your phone without typing in your code.

The DTEK60 is lighter and thinner than the PRIV, which is nice, although there is no PKB. *Yes, the 21MP camera lens protrudes from the DTEK60, *but so did the camera on the PRIV.*

Calls so far are clear. *The stock BlackBerry headphones are very good as well.

The BlackBerry Dtek60 virtual keyboard is once again very good as it was on the PRIV, although not as excellent as the OS10 vkb on the Passport SE or Z30.

The original BlackBerry OS10 vkb and pkb were the best since predictive text was more accurate, particularly typing in multiple languages.

These are my initial observations. *Overall, I would recommend the DTEK60 as it is great value for the money, and offers many BlackBerry features in an Android environment with lots of apps. *It is light, rigid, and has a professional feel to it.

TonyTheCanuck*
    11-17-16 09:11 PM
    OK, have spent three days with my New DTEK60 I purchased from Crackberry Canada. * It came with free leather flip case, free large battery, and free rapid charger. *I also bought the BlackBerry soft case at 10% off.

My feelings so far:

The first word that comes to mind with the new DTEK60 is that it is very "slick:" It feels solid, high-end, lighter than my PRIV, and solid. *It is made of glass front and back, with a metal frame. *It has four speakers, two in front and two in back.*

I protect it with the BlackBerry soft shell case as protection is a must, however strangely the case covers the two rear speakers.

The DTEK60 display is bright and navigation is quick and easy given the better processor.*

Although the DTEK60 screen is only slightly larger (5.5") than the PRIV (5.4"), it seems bigger and brighter given the better quality display. *

The display is very sensitive and responsive to touch. *Videos play smoothly and images are crisp, clear, and vibrant. *Great for games, news, and TV.

The four speakers are very good, but are not as loud as the Z30 which I loved.*

The BlackBerry Hub works well with the Android Dtek60 as it did with the PRIV. *

Apps respond well, and accessing the Web is quick. *Scrolling is faster on the DTEK60 than with my PRIV.

Charging the DTEK60 with either the stock charger or the rapid recharger is fast. *Lack of a proper dock or support is a bit annoying, however. *I liked using my BlackBerry charging pod / dock with my PRIV and my Passport SE.

There is a smallish red LED message light as is the case on all BlackBerry devices, but it cannot produce the variety of colours as on the PRIV for each different message account.

Alarms and message notifications are somewhat quieter than on traditional BlackBerry devices, but updates will likely allow for the user to adjust the sound.

So far, the 21MP camera on the DTEK60 is very good-to-excellent both indoors and outdoors. *Images are bright, clear, and detail is crisp. *I haven't yet noticed any halos, bleeding, or noise. *

Note that I haven't had enough time to compare with my PRIV 18MP camera, however, nor have I tried the front camera. *The rear 18MP camera on the PRIV was excellent.

The fingerprint sensor is a really nice feature; *you can instantly unlock your phone without typing in your code.

The DTEK60 is lighter and thinner than the PRIV, which is nice, although there is no PKB. *Yes, the 21MP camera lens protrudes from the DTEK60, *but so did the camera on the PRIV.*

Calls so far are clear. *The stock BlackBerry headphones are very good as well.

The BlackBerry Dtek60 virtual keyboard is once again very good as it was on the PRIV, although not as excellent as the OS10 vkb on the Passport SE or Z30.

The original BlackBerry OS10 vkb and pkb were the best since predictive text was more accurate, particularly typing in multiple languages.

These are my initial observations. *Overall, I would recommend the DTEK60 as it is great value for the money, and offers many BlackBerry features in an Android environment with lots of apps. *It is light, rigid, and has a professional feel to it.

TonyTheCanuck*
    You came from the Priv. I'm contemplating a change from the Priv. As in another thread, I have a Priv (work) and DTEK50 (personal). Trying my best to resist the temptation to upgrade from the hot / throttling 808 on the Priv, to the better efficiency of the 820 on the DTEK60. I was very annoyed at my Priv for throttling/throwing heat warning messages during a crucial video capture time during my vacation in Disneyworld. One of my captured stills was distorted quite severely in a wavey pattern. This has been my one and only occurrence of the warning message - unfortunately during a crucial time. This has made me consider the DTEK60. Speakerphone also sucks balls.

I enjoy using the pkb on my priv but I am not adverse to using the vkb. I use the pkb maybe 70% of the time.

I am reluctant otherwise to part with the Priv considering the full price I paid and that I do think it feels really nice in my hand. And it has a very distinct look that sets it apart from all the other black slabs out there (not intended as a slight against the DTEK60).

How do you find the following compared to the Priv:
    -Adjusting to a pure vkb experience?
    -Look and feel?
    11-17-16 10:45 PM
    Congrats OP, you made a good transition. I think you should stick with your excellent DTEK60. It's still not certain when the PKB android will be launched. When it's eventually released, you can then go for it and sell/ give out/ keep your DTEK60. My 2 cent.

Posted via CB10
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    11-18-16 06:06 AM
    You came from the Priv. I'm contemplating a change from the Priv. As in another thread, I have a Priv (work) and DTEK50 (personal). Trying my best to resist the temptation to upgrade from the hot / throttling 808 on the Priv, to the better efficiency of the 820 on the DTEK60. I was very annoyed at my Priv for throttling/throwing heat warning messages during a crucial video capture time during my vacation in Disneyworld. One of my captured stills was distorted quite severely in a wavey pattern. This has been my one and only occurrence of the warning message - unfortunately during a crucial time. This has made me consider the DTEK60. Speakerphone also sucks balls.

I enjoy using the pkb on my priv but I am not adverse to using the vkb. I use the pkb maybe 70% of the time.

I am reluctant otherwise to part with the Priv considering the full price I paid and that I do think it feels really nice in my hand. And it has a very distinct look that sets it apart from all the other black slabs out there (not intended as a slight against the DTEK60).

How do you find the following compared to the Priv:
    -Adjusting to a pure vkb experience?
    -Look and feel?
    In response to tour questions:

I have already owned the Torch 2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, and the PRIV.

I have there already used the Z30 with only vkb, so I am used to working with no pkb. I loved the Z30 despite no pkb since the auto text prediction was fantastic with the vkb. I found the Z30 to be a well designed workhorse.

The Passport SE had a good pkb, and also had excellent predictive text.

The PRIV did have a pkb, but I found that I didn't use it as much. I found that using the BlackBerry vkb on the Android Priv was a good experience, although the predictive text wasn't as good as on a purely BlackBerry OS10 Z30. The BlackBerry vkb on Android devices such as the PRIV and Dtek60 will never be as accurate as the BlackBerry vkb or pkb on a purely BlackBerry 0S10 or even OS7 device.

There is a trade off: A vkb on an Android device means a lighter phone, no moving parts, and access to infinite apps.

I don't miss so much the BlackBerry pkb as on the PRIV or on the Passport, but I do miss the accuracy of the original BlackBerry OS10 vkb and pkb with better auto predict and auto correct in multiple languages.

The DTEK60 is lighter than the PRIV, and has a more solid and professional feel. It is a joy to use, doesn't heat up, and has a faster processor.

I hope this helps!
    tommytheb likes this.
    11-18-16 06:41 AM
    For those curious about battery . It is phenomenal !!!.

I have had a pretty intense day so far with it
    On a 3 am currently 8 pm , so 17 hours off the charger and 38% battery remaining.

I have also had 5 and a half hours of SOT (reading) and plenty of emails, Spotify, Whatsapps, phone calls.

I am pretty impressed.

That aside the DTEK60 just out performs the PRIV on all aspects, the exception being the low notification and ringtone volume (which I think will be fixed soon) and the low call volume (relative to the priv and I also think that will be fixed).

I miss the RGB led, but I can live with the red only one.
    Attached Thumbnails Initial impressions-35798.jpg  
    Last edited by Slamdunc1; 11-19-16 at 09:32 AM.
    11-19-16 06:10 AM
    Other screen shot
    Attached Thumbnails Initial impressions-35797.jpg  
    11-19-16 06:10 AM
    One more for people who like that sought of thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Initial impressions-35799.jpg  
    11-19-16 06:12 AM
    Thanks for the review. The marriage of BB and the newer versions of Android is just great, and I totally understand your craving for the pkb. I've benn using the virtual ones for years already and I still can not really get used to them.
    I agree! The pkb is something else! I have used various virtual keyboards (iPhone 4s, HTC, BB Z10) and I have to admit that the pkb on my Passport SE is something else. Very productive, very few typing errors and much faster compared to all other keyboards used to date!
    11-20-16 12:36 PM